Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Newcastle 4th Nov KO 4:00pm (Sky Sports 1)

• 03-11-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

Si1g4.jpg

Brendan Rodgers lamented Liverpool's continued reliance on Steven Gerrard, plus Luis Suárez, after the Capital One Cup defeat by Swansea, but he was not the first Anfield manager to do so. Gerrard will become the 10th player in Liverpool's history to make 600 appearances for the club on Sunday and needs victory not to record the milestone but to ignite the season. As do Newcastle, who have yet to win away from home so far this campaign. Liverpool have not won back-to-back league games at home since September 2011.Suárez and Demba Ba are both in the form to maintain the fixture's high-scoring traditions.

Venue Anfield, Sunday 4pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1

Referee Anthony Taylor

This season's matches 7 Y13, R2, 2.14 cards per game

Odds Liverpool 4-7 Newcastle 5-1 Draw 3-1

Liverpool

Subs from Reina, Gulacsi, Carragher, Coates, Shelvey, Henderson, José Enrique, Downing, Assaidi, Morgan, Robinson, Cole, Yesil, Pacheco

Doubtful Reina (hamstring), Johnson (thigh)

Injured Lucas (thigh, 26 Nov), Borini (foot, Jan), Kelly (knee, Mar)

Suspended None Form guide DWDWLD

Disciplinary record Y14 R2

Leading scorer Suárez 6

Newcastle

Subs from Harper, S Taylor, Ferguson, Anita, Bigirimana, Sammy Ameobi, Cissé, Obertan, Marveaux, Campbell

Doubtful Ba (shin)

Injured Elliot (groin, 10 Nov), Vuckic (knee, Aug), R Taylor (knee, Aug), Gosling (knee, unknown), Ferguson (hip, unknown)

Suspended Tioté (second of three)

Form guide WDLDWD Disciplinary record Y21 R1

Leading scorer Ba 7

0B0v5.jpg

Match pointers

• Liverpool have won 15 and lost none of the past 17 top-flight games against Newcastle at Anfield

• Newcastle's match against West Bromwich last week was only the second time that Papiss Cissé and Demba Ba have scored in the same Premier League match

• Luis Suárez has either scored or assisted 80% of Liverpool's league goals this season (excluding own goals)

• The only goal that Newcastle have scored in their last six visits to Liverpool was an own goal from Daniel Agger in this fixture last season

• Liverpool have won just three of their last 14 home games in this division, losing six and drawing five times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

4-3 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

4-3 :D

The moment that I rememberr from that match was Keegan slumped over the hoardings after Collymores winner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not looking forward to this one. Last win was 18 years ago and we just never seem to turn up here regardless of what state Liverpool are in.

Easy 2-0 win for Liverpool. :( We're not playing well and Liverpool need to start winning games at Anfield, pretty much the perfect game for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Class Banner...Coloccini looks like a war veteran who is missing legs.:pac:

Anyway since LuckyCharms beat Mike65 to starting this thread Newcastle are going to win. Should be interesting to see if Andy Carroll is in amongst the away supporter.

3-1 Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can only see a loss here! At some point Newcastle have to win at Anfield again and they may not get a better chance than tomorrow. (hopefully that's enough reverse-cycleology!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I find this hard to predict.

I think Newcastle could cause us some problems. In particular I think Ben Arfa could have some joy running at us if he has too much space.

That said, I would expect Liverpool to dominate most of the ball. A lot will depend (as always in Anfield) on our ability to finish and in particular what kind of game Suarez has.

I'll go 2-1 Liverpool but I'm not too confident about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

4-3 Liverpool, Shelvey with the routine injury time winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

3-0 not saying who to though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Massive price for Newcastle although they do have a horrible record at Anfield.
    Still, I'll be tempted to stick a few bob on them considering Liverpools recent home form.

I'm actually shocked at Liverpool's price of 4/7(betfair)

I'd have us as an evens shot or bigger.

Newcastle are indeed a massive price.

• Advertisement

But I do like the 6/4 on Suarez to score anytime given his form..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

5/1 for a NUFC win. I will be having a nice dabble on that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

This is the first Liverpool vs Newcastle game I remember watching as a kid, so I've never seen us win at Anfield.

Safe to say I'm not too confident about tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    4-3 Liverpool, Shelvey with the routine injury time winner

I am unaware of this ever happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I am unaware of this ever happening?

He means in terms of the legendary 4-3 Liverpool V Newcastle games won at the death, rather than Shelvey specifically scoring last minute winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Doocey wrote: »
    5/1 for a NUFC win. I will be having a nice dabble on that for sure.

Think i'll be joining you :D 5/1 Just too tempting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why are they 5/1?

Must be something the bookies aren't telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

_blank_ wrote: »
    Why are they 5/1?

The bookies know people back Liverpool blind.
    They can offer odds shorter than their true market value and still get people to back them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

liverpool are playing well just not scoring.
    wing backs have been poor recently, with wisdom being shown up against swansea. but he has been solid up to that point.
    i think newcastle are lacking the creativity to trouble us. we will dominate posession and i can see suarez having a few chances as colocini wont be able to keep up with him and probably they will sit deep as a result.
    if we have a decent distance striker i can see that being where the goal comes from. so only one option there - gerrard.

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
    "This is a tough-looking game for Liverpool against a Newcastle side that I feel have played better and should have more points than their league position and tally suggests so far. It is a massive game for Reds boss Brendan Rodgers too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way his teams play the game but the problem is they have to get results too."

What is this man smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I would like to see Reina back in sooner rather than later. We certainly don't want to alienating him. Jones is dodgy under the high ball.

I thought Enrique did ok against Everton. Maybe that'll boost his confidence if he starts again today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

_blank_ wrote: »
    Why are they 5/1?

Probably because of the record they have there, 18 years without a win. They never play well at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

600th game for Gerrard today, what an achievement

Looking forward to this one now. It was a pretty barren weekend so far for goals, hopefully this will go against the grain.
    Suarez anytime scorer does look a good bet, he's in excellent form in front of goal, as is Demba Ba.

Tough one to call, I'm guessing 3-2 to either side but couldn't resist a little nibble on Newcastle at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this one now. It was a pretty barren weekend so far for goals, hopefully this will go against the grain.
    Suarez anytime scorer does look a good bet, he's in excellent form in front of goal, as is Demba Ba.

Tough one to call, I'm guessing 3-2 to either side but couldn't resist a little nibble on Newcastle at that price.

Not sure if I'd agree with you there - he was good in this regard against Everton but in the two previous matches he was not at all clinical.

I certainly wouldn't back against him scoring today, but he may well miss a couple of decent chances and fail to get on the mark.

To be honest Suarez's form in front of goal today is going to be crucial and I'd go as far as to say it will be the deciding factor today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I fancy our CB's today in front of goal for corners and set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Leiva wrote: »
    I fancy our CB's today in front of goal for corners and set pieces.

Not now that the clocks have changed

Morzadec wrote: »
    Not sure if I'd agree with you there - he was good in this regard against Everton but in the two previous matches he was not at all clinical.

I certainly wouldn't back against him scoring today, but he may well miss a couple of decent chances and fail to get on the mark.

To be honest Suarez's form in front of goal today is going to be crucial and I'd go as far as to say it will be the deciding factor today.

He probably won't want to score against us if we are going to sign him in January.

Morzadec wrote: »

He's still missing chances alright but you can't really argue with his goals/game ratio which is what I was getting at with the excellent form.

I think he gets into far more goal scoring positions than most forwards in the league which makes up for his conversion rate.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Read on mf read on !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Trinity Killer from Dexter (John Lithgow) is at Anfield :)

imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F258850812

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Confirmed #LFC team v Newcastle: Jones, Wisdom, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Sahin, Gerrard, Allen, Suso, Sterling, Suarez.
    Subs: Gulacsi, Henderson, Assaidi, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Coates.

#NUFC line-up vs #LFC: Krul; Anita, S.Taylor, Coloccini, Santon; Ben Arfa, Perch, Cabaye, Gutierrez; Ba, Cisse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Paully D wrote: »
    The Trinity Killer from Dexter (John Lithgow) is at Anfield :)

imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F258850812

Better known as Dick from 3rd Rock from the Sun. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

When is Assaidi going to be given a chance from the start? Would prefer him over Suso today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

5starpool wrote: »
    Confirmed #LFC team v Newcastle: Jones, Wisdom, Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Sahin, Gerrard, Allen, Suso, Sterling, Suarez.
    Subs: Gulacsi, Henderson, Assaidi, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Coates.

#NUFC line-up vs #LFC: Krul; Anita, S.Taylor, Coloccini, Santon; Ben Arfa, Perch, Cabaye, Gutierrez; Ba, Cisse

Anita the weak link there for Newcastle. Any one of that Liverpool front three that plays out wide should be able to terrorize him.

Cue a man of the match performance and goal for Anita :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Ba starts! Glad I backed the Newcastle win last night.

Suso really needs to tuck in and give Wisdom a hand at times.

Knex. wrote: »
    When is Assaidi going to be given a chance from the start? Would prefer him over Suso today.

Looks like he is going to be this years Coates....good to see Farquaad there.

Both Cisse and Ba start. Surprised at that tbh.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Both Cisse and Ba start. Surprised at that tbh.

Why,they play every game together.

• Advertisement

There really should be a seperate Fantasy Football and Football betting thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why,they play every game together.

I think he meant from the fact Ba was supposed to be carrying an injury and was a massive doubt to start.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    There really should be a seperate Fantasy Football and Football betting thread.

There is, but no harm mentioning bets on the match in hand. If discussing bets from other matches fair enough. Don't see the big deal myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Getting nervous now.

Put a few cheeky bets on:

Toon to win @ 5/1
    Cabaye MOTM @ 16/1 covered with Suarez MOTM @ 6/1, or HBA @ 9/1.
    Also backed Benny FGS @ 18/1.

Knowing my lucky - John Joe Shelvey will score in the 2nd minute and Lpool will hold out for a 1-0 win with Allen as MOTM!

Seriously though, this is our best chance of beating Liverpool since that 4-3 encounter. Howay the Lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

How long is Pepe out for?

double GG wrote: »
    I think he meant from the fact Ba was supposed to be carrying an injury and was a massive doubt to start.

Ah right.

Paully D wrote: »
    Anita the weak link there for Newcastle. Any one of that Liverpool front three that plays out wide should be able to terrorize him.

Cue a man of the match performance and goal for Anita :pac:

Anita has looked very good at RB. He's looked very poor in midfield.

It will be a big test for him today though.

Doocey wrote: »
    Getting nervous now.

Seriously though, this is our best chance of beating Liverpool since that 4-3 encounter. Howay the Lads!

This is what I was thinking last season. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Knex. wrote: »

Assiadi wasn't very good against Swansea. I'm glad Suso is still ahead of him in the team as I think Suso is the better player.

How long is Pepe out for?

and Johnson

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement