Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I stop JRT chewing her kennel

• 03-11-2012 5:44pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My Jack Russell cross is a chewer, never had a dog that was such an active and strong chewer as she is:D

She has been okay inside and doesn't tend to chew anything she's not supposed to (well not too much:rolleyes:). Recently however we've had to leave her outside, due to us being out for several hours, thankfully this doesn't happen very often, but she has been chewing her kennel. She has a dumbell shaped chew toy and she gets a rawhide chew most days. I don't know if she is doing it because she is bored or just needs to chew? As I said I just don't have experience with this - my collie is a gent and never chewed a thing.

How can I stop her from doing this, or can someone recommend something for her to chew on / play with.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    When you leave a chew toy for her, does she chew it? Or do you find it largely untouched with the kennel still chewed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

DBB wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    When you leave a chew toy for her, does she chew it? Or do you find it largely untouched with the kennel still chewed?

Good question - I'm not sure to be honest, because its one of those dumbell toys with the bobbles on the end and its hard to see if she has chewed it or not. She does chew the rawhide bones when we leave them out, but I'm not sure if its as well as or instead of the kennel.

Slightly off-topic: be careful of those dumbell-shaped rawhide chews. The knot att he end is a choking/blockage hazard when they become separated from the ends of the chew.
    I'd suggest that you get her some seriously tempting organic chews: Stag Bars spring to mind as an obvious, highly tempting, and nutritious chew for a hard-chewing dog. Many dogs will be more tempted to eat stuff like this, rather than their kennels, simply because they taste nicer!

DBB wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic: be careful of those dumbell-shaped rawhide chews. The knot att he end is a choking/blockage hazard when they become separated from the ends of the chew.
    I'd suggest that you get her some seriously tempting organic chews: Stag Bars spring to mind as an obvious, highly tempting, and nutritious chew for a hard-chewing dog. Many dogs will be more tempted to eat stuff like this, rather than their kennels, simply because they taste nicer!

Those stag bars look / sound perfect - any idea where I can buy them from? delivery seems expensive on a lot of the sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you tried stuffing Kongs and freezing them? They keep my girls busy for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'd agree about rawhide bones. Maybe if you vary the toys a bit frozen Kong one day and then few carrots the next day, or filled kong with a little peanut butter etc. keep it interesting, she's probably a bit frustrated some dogs just hate being left terriers although act all independant can be very clingy.

Also you could put some galvanised strips of metal (make sure there's no sharp edges) on the areas the dog tends to chew on might help prevent too much damage to the kennel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

My dog used to chew the pot plants to bits - the last plant he chewed was a spiky cactus - I think he must have taken one bite and got such a fright that he never has touched a plant since. Thinking of that I would make a paste with white pepper and paint it onto where you don't want him to chew - it should put him off it without doing him any harm. He might get out of the habit if he finds the taste horrible. :D Might be worth a try

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Those stag bars look / sound perfect - any idea where I can buy them from? delivery seems expensive on a lot of the sites

I bought one recently on amazon, but yes, the postage cranks the price up alright. Still I got a large one for, I think, about €12ish? Less than a Kong toy and very much loved by all who have tried it! Whereabouts are you, as some pet shops sell them too!
    But varying the chew treats would be a nice option too, if the Kong Toy satisfies her chewing urges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ms Cool wrote: »
    Poor dog is obviously depressed. May be best have it put to sleep

now if i said something like that I'd get a warning an infraction and solitary confinement for a month!

what are kongs?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    now if i said something like that I'd get a warning an infraction and solitary confinement for a month!

what are kongs?

Kongs are a sturdy, hollow, rubber pyramid. They have a small hole at one end and a larger one at the other. You can fill them with treats and food then give them to the dog, they have to lick and chew for ages to get the food out. Freezing them means that it takes even longer for them to get the food out.

http://www.kongcompany.com/

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, what do you fill the kongs with??

Moistened dry food, wet food, cooked sausages, mince. Anything I can fit through the hole, tbh.

Advertisement