Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Compatibility Check.

Options
  • 03-11-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi, this is my first PC build (mainly just for experience) and was hoping someone could check the compatibility of the components for me,

Also, could someone recommend an optical drive for me?

MoBo:
    Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X SB950 DDR3 ATX

Case:
    Zalman Z11 Plus High Performance Case

HD:
    Western Digital 500GB Blue 7200RPM 16MB SATA 6G/bs

Wifi Card:
    D-Link XTreme Wireless PCI-Express Adapter.

Graphics Card:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz 1GB PCI-Express HDMI SuperClocked.

PSU:
    Corsair Memory TX650 V2 ATX Enthusiast Series.

RAM:
    Corsair Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz DIMM 240-PIN CL8 Red.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Moved to PC Building & Upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭deblacker

Sorry, didn't see that section

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What processor do you have?
    What is this computer for?

I haven't chosen a processor yet, it's mainly for gaming, and writing small programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's a last generation graphics card; where are you buying?

• Advertisement

What's your budget?

I am buying at dabs.ie, my budget is €800 (lower if possible, of course)

I haven't got time to be trawling through their site at the moment, but I'll just say that you should get homeplugs instead of wireless if you want a stable connection.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av200-200mbps-mini-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-7KJ7.html

Also, a 550W PSU like the OCZ ZS or the ZT or the XFX 550W would be fine for your average build, if they still stock them.

Thanks, I'll use a wired connection, you're probably right about the PSU, I just wanted to be on the safe side power-wise.

What do you think of a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k for the CPU?

I'd get a 3570K if it was down the choice and they were fairly close in price for the small benefits. The 2500K is a very solid performer though and it can be overclocked far.

Although you didn't mention a CPU in the first post, I'm assuming that you were thinking of an AMD build. AMD are quite competitive at the moment. The 8320, for example, is a good for what you are paying. It's a fairly good processor across the board and beats the Intel CPUs, for cheaper, in tasks which make use of the additional cores. It's a trade off though as the cores a bit a weaker and won't keep up in the single threaded programs.

If it was down to a 2500K and an AMD system - well it kind of depends on how cheap the 2500K is. The 2500K has more practical use so I'd go for that if it was the same price. However, it can be the most of €50 more than the 8320, so it really comes down to how much you want to spend.

• Advertisement

deblacker wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll use a wired connection, you're probably right about the PSU, I just wanted to be on the safe side power-wise.

What do you think of a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k for the CPU?

You have a motherboard with an AMD socket. The 2500 won't fit.

Best thing to do is fill out the form.
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Advertisement