Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintaining engine paint

• 03-11-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My GSX1400 is pretty mint overall. It's an '01 and it's at the age where if I start taking the eye off the ball it can start looking shabby quickly. I already have a couple of odds and ends to do to her to keep her up to scratch.

One problem is that at the suggestion of a mate, I started to use WD40 on the black engine paint and it made it look amazing. Now it always appears that if it hasn't been shot with WD40 recently, the black paint seems to have a milky deposit on it. I decided that WD40 is something I'll never use on any engine again because it seems that once you start using it, you can never stop. I've been using degreasers and other chemicals to fix the problem but nothing seems to do the trick and I'm reluctant to start using other chemical cleaners on it now.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

cantdecide wrote: »
    My GSX1400 is pretty mint overall. It's an '01 and it's at the age where if I start taking the eye off the ball it can start looking shabby quickly. I already have a couple of odds and ends to do to her to keep her up to scratch.

One problem is that at the suggestion of a mate, I started to use WD40 on the black engine paint and it made it look amazing. Now it always appears that if it hasn't been shot with WD40 recently, the black paint seems to have a milky deposit on it. I decided that WD40 is something I'll never use on any engine again because it seems that once you start using it, you can never stop. I've been using degreasers and other chemicals to fix the problem but nothing seems to do the trick and I'm reluctant to start using other chemical cleaners on it now.

Any suggestions?

Pity no-one answered you, I'm curious about this too...But here's my 2cents.

Engine paint? Have you considered a normal polish & waxing products?

Also, people swear by this stuff, although more for metal rather than paint:

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have a GSX1400 as well. I'll be using ACF50 myself this winter to keep the salt off if I bring it out.

Over all I think the finish on them is great. You very rarely see one in bad nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BikerTech

One thing with the ACF-50 I hear is that it is very hard to get off. I have been advised to only use it on areas that would be exposed to the likes of salt,road grit etc that could cause seizing of bolts and fasteners.
    But all in all it is suposed to be a great product,but used sparingly.
    Just my 2cents

Advertisement