Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I'm sorely tempted to get out and try a run and see how the leg goes. I'm like a drug addict in rehab plotting an elaborate escape at the moment. I really think running is addictive.

Yeah it sure does make you feel good alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How's the running going everyone?
    I see that most of you have got back out running which is great, but I see a lot of you falling in to the trap of running your easy runs too fast!! So this week we will introduce some strides to give you all the chance to open up the legs a bit :D Next week we will start to introduce a proper session to gear you all up for your December race, so it will become more and more important to take the easy days easy so as to keep you fresh for the hard days....This week I would also ask you to consider adding a 5th running day to the schedule if possible. For now it will just be a slow 2 miler. An extra running day in the long run will allow you to increase the weekly mileage without putting too much stress on the body.

So the plan for this week is as follows:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|5miles easy incl 2 x Pyramid strides|2m easy|3m easy|rest/cross|6-8 miles

Again feel free to switch the days about in order to suit your lifestyle but try to put the 2 mile easy run the day after the 5 miles with strides. The idea behind this is that the midweek 'semi long' run will become our regular 'session' day and it is best followed with a short recovery run. For the weekend long run those targeting a Half marathon in December can stretch it out to 8 miles, for others; 6 miles is enough if they want.

Pyramid strides
    This is a mini session my coach gets me to do on 'down week's' to keep the legs in touch with speed. It shouldn't be too taxing but it should help break up the monotony.
    The session should go as follows: after a mile or so easy warm up, break into a higher pace for 20 seconds, then 40 seconds, then a minute, then 40 seconds then 20 seconds. In between the fast bits; jog for the equivalent time. So the session should go 20 seconds hard, 20seconds easy, 40 seconds hard, 40 seconds easy etc...
    After the first set of strides, jog for about 5 minutes and then repeat. Finish off the session with a mile or two warm down to make up the 5 miles....

This session should not wipe you out: The idea is that the 1 minute strides should be at the same pace as the 20 second ones. The session is continuous (no breaks in running) so if you are totally wrecked and panting after the fast bits; you are doing them too fast!! The strides should be done a little bit faster than your 5k pace, so you should always feel in control of the pace and not sprinting flat out.

Any questions, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

ncmc wrote: »
    Plus it's a great chance to show of your DCM 'proud finisher' t shirt!

Don't think I'll ever get tired of wearing that shirt!

Had a nice recovery run today after yesterday's 5K race, 6 miles @11 mpm, no major impact from racing thankfully

It was an amazing morning to be out, Frosty and crisp and clear, running in Albert College pk mostly and the trees are in full Fall colour - Vermont it ain't but it was pretty cool.

Who wouldn't want to run in winter! (Hope I remember this when it's not so nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm sorely tempted to get out and try a run and see how the leg goes. I'm like a drug addict in rehab plotting an elaborate escape at the moment. I really think running is addictive.

Now Now!! What was the deal?! :p

Addictive it is! you hate it...but love it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

You have no idea :D

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/05/07/151936266/wired-to-run-runners-high-may-have-been-evolutionary-advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ecoli wrote: »

This ....
    Morganti treats runners for injuries, and she says they're the worst patients. "The treatment is to stop running," she says. "They won't. They don't want to. A lot of the behavior is not unlike the patients we have who are seeking drugs. It's really similar. It's an addiction."

This describes me so accurately it's not funny. :D

I'm out for going on 2 weeks now and I can't see myself lasting much longer :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Now Now!! What was the deal?! tongue.png

I know :( but still - a couple of months off just isn't happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Dont think this has been mentioned in this thread yet. Thought some of you here might be interested in Marathon Talk. They have great podcasts all on the topic of... ehhh, marathons! I find them really great to listen to on the run and have already picked up some good tips (and I'm only a few episodes in).

Happy training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

upthe19th wrote: »

I'm 9 miles from you...out in the sticks. Travel to waterford every day to work...hence in NR every day. If you are doing waterford on 1st and need a lift give me a shout..I'll be passing.

Thanks - myself and Mrs Dilbert will be heading down, possibly with a couple of others from the club. Hopefully see you there though.

And, given that I cycle and run out the N25 I'd be delighted to have someone to run and cycle with at my pace - will definitely keep it in mind.

On a side note, I think I'm gonna have to start doing some early morning running midweek, especially on Tuesdays - have a busy evening so need to make the time somehow.

Btw, if anyone thinking of doing the Waterford half hasn't entered yet, you'd after get the finger out - only 22 places left...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Btw, if anyone thinking of doing the Waterford half hasn't entered yet, you'd after get the finger out - only 22 places left...

Crikey... Thanks for the heads up, haven't entered yet, hope there is still a place left for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

W/E in Wexford delayed till Dec so met up with some of the girls from here for a run in Phoenix park this morning. Gorgeous autumn morning - actually sunny for a good bit of it (so of course just had to root out my sunglasses, any excuse!)

Meno, saw your reminder about taking things easy but unfortunately the girls LSR pace is a min faster then mine so had to push myself...:o Thankfully managed to keep up for the 7.5 miles though (although going up the hill poor Rasher_m was ignored for a few mins as I struggled to keep going..:eek:) Will take next few runs super easy now to make up.....
    eeeek, was thinking of this but haven't made my mind up as awkward traveling down from Dublin (yes i know i'm spoiled there's so many races so close) - pressure on to make decision ....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I'd love to do Waterford but would be an awful long journey from the West.
    As for easy pace I def didn't abide by that yest cos when I went out today legs were in a bad way and knee pain meant I had to nearly hop home. Promise to stick to plan this week.
    Registered for Paris marathon yesterday, super excited. Had to chose it over Rotterdam in the end due to work commitments. Let the madness continue :)

FiiFii wrote: »
    eeeek, was thinking of this but haven't made my mind up as awkward traveling down from Dublin (yes i know i'm spoiled there's so many races so close) - pressure on to make decision ....:eek:

DO IT!!! Everyone is!!*:D

Be a great adventure! Get the train sure! handy out!

*not quite everyone, but close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

DO IT!!! Everyone is!!*:D

Be a great adventure! Get the train sure! handy out!

*not quite everyone, but close!

And who says peer pressure's only for teenagers ;)
    Right - entered! Wahoo :D:D:D (not before i checked last yr's results though just to make sure wasn't full of speedy people that I'd end up last...)

Fingers crossed by Boards AC top arrives before this and I can trial it out there :)

Tx for link career_move, train actually good value and one that'd get me in for quarter to 10 so might do that rather then drive so can chill out there and back...

So who else is going???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I entered too! They must be wondering at the last minute surge in entries!

Really hope the Boards AC top arrives too, be great for spotting the rest if ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Thanks - myself and Mrs Dilbert will be heading down, possibly with a couple of others from the club. Hopefully see you there though.

And, given that I cycle and run out the N25 I'd be delighted to have someone to run and cycle with at my pace - will definitely keep it in mind.

On a side note, I think I'm gonna have to start doing some early morning running midweek, especially on Tuesdays - have a busy evening so need to make the time somehow.

No worries my man... see you down there.:)

+1 on the LSR's, would be great to have company from time to time. Was a little tough training alone this year ... only good thing was, when I showed up for races I found them easy cos there were so many people to run with and keep pace with.

Waterford Half Marathon - 1st Dec

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m
    Gavlor

Who else we got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m

Who else we got?
    Quite the little organiser, aren't we??? :P

Quite the little organiser, aren't we??? :P

Haha, that's the nicest way of putting it! Just like being organised!

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    " :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m

Who else we got?

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Took part in a 5 mile race this morning.Havent gotten much sleep the last few nights with a right dose of illness going through the house.Woke up this morning feeling shattered & also feeling like a head cold coming on.
    Was in two minds about going but the proceeds from this race are donated locally & last year they were donated to my youngest little man's special needs preschool so wanted to return the favour to the nominated charity today.
    The race itself was about 1 mile on road with about 3 miles along a country trail which I have to say was very hard to get a decent footing combined with briars,nettles,flies & midgets.Then back onto the road for the last mile to face a hill that made heartbreak hill in DCM look like an anthill.Keeping in mind what meno has been preaching about taking it easy I did not push myself up that hill but a few runners had caught up with with about half a mile to go.The competitive edge in me kicked in & I was able to push it home over the last half mile in a time of 38:20.
    This time is just over a minute outside my PB so not a bad mornings work.
    I passed the 1800 mile mark for the year so I'm glad I ran this morning after all.
    I'm looking forward to trying meno's pyramid session later in the week when i get a chance.This is what I've signed up here for.
    Roll on Waterford in a few weeks!!!

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m
    Gavlor
    KillianByrne

Who else we got?

Think Killian has entered too...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Add me to the Waterford list..as I cant figure out how to do it myself!!

Is there a "basic boards.ie posting" thread anywhere?? I'm clueless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

W/E in Wexford delayed till Dec so met up with some of the girls from here for a run in Phoenix park this morning. Gorgeous autumn morning - actually sunny for a good bit of it (so of course just had to root out my sunglasses, any excuse!)

Meno, saw your reminder about taking things easy but unfortunately the girls LSR pace is a min faster then mine so had to push myself...:o Thankfully managed to keep up for the 7.5 miles though (although going up the hill poor Rasher_m was ignored for a few mins as I struggled to keep going..:eek:) Will take next few runs super easy now to make up.....

I think youre being a bit modest fifi. you got on great and were well up for it.

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m
    Gavlor
    KillianByrne
    Teeley

Teeley wrote: »
    Add me to the Waterford list..as I cant figure out how to do it myself!!

Is there a "basic boards.ie posting" thread anywhere?? I'm clueless!

It's straightforward enough - when you know how. This is not a table, so it's nice and simple - the tables are a bit more complicated.

If you want to quote a post, click the quote button on that post. If you want to quote bits of several posts, click the +" button on each post (in the order you want to quote them) and then hit the reply button - you add your comments in between each section and hit Submit Reply. Try it and see if I'm making any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

It's straightforward enough - when you know how. This is not a table, so it's nice and simple - the tables are a bit more complicated.

If you want to quote a post, click the quote button on that post. If you want to quote bits of several posts, click the +" button on each post (in the order you want to quote them) and then hit the reply button - you add your comments in between each section and hit Submit Reply. Try it and see if I'm making any sense at all.

Thanks! This I can handle but for some reason I couldn't add my name to the list last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m
    Gavlor
    KillianByrne
    Teeley
    docjewel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

docjewel wrote: »

blockic
    career_move
    ncmc
    FiiFii
    Dilbert 75
    upthe19th
    rasher_m
    Gavlor
    KillianByrne
    Teeley
    docjewel

I'm in. Registered just now in a panic when I saw it was nearly sold out :)

Advertisement