Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Gavlor wrote: »
    Now I know how homer felt when his mates set up the 'No Homers club' :(

The club welcomes disillusioned runners of all creeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Tempo run done. very windy for 1st half, behind me for the second.

1.5m warm up @ 9.29 (144bpm)
    5m tempo @ 8.18 (164bpm)
    .5m cool @ 10.30 (160bpm)

I set up the Garmin for this, gave it a desired pace for each section. Very useful, kept telling me to slow down, I felt like i was wearing Meno on my wrist.

Glad i did this, was thinking that the treadmill was very inviting with the weather but having done it, there really is no comparison between the two types of training. treadmill running seems very fast and the perceived effort for a 9.50 pace run is fast compared to doing it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

ncmc wrote: »
    Just a question about the P&D plan, what’s with the long recovery runs? I remember Meno and a few other experienced heads on here saying that a recovery run should be no more than 40-50 mins, yet P&D has recovery runs of 7 miles. Its things like this that I dislike about the plan, I don’t mind going out and doing the mileage, but it’s nice to have a couple of days a week where you only do 4-5 miles. 7 miles seems unnecessarily long.

Hmm, maybe it's for people who run 7 min pace recovery miles. Not me, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

scriba wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe it's for people who run 7 min pace recovery miles. Not me, in other words.

Yeah I asked about P&D recovery runs a while back. Basically no more than 45 or 50 mins, so at recovery pace for me that's about 4.5 miles.

I think P&D has made me a bit delusional...even after a bad run yesterday I still really enjoy the plan, probably more than HHN2 :eek: I actually like longer runs and don't really warm up properly on anything under 7 miles...my bucket list used to include 'marathon before 40'. With that done a few years early the new bucket list is hankering towards 'something further than marathon (not sure how far) before 40'...someone please get me help :eek:

• Advertisement

Great run there Killian, I need to figure out how to set my Garmin up for these runs. I have a 110 - does anyone know if it can be preset with desired pace/HR?

Runchick wrote: »
    Great run there Killian, I need to figure out how to set my Garmin up for these runs. I have a 110 - does anyone know if it can be preset with desired pace/HR?

I don't think the 110 can, I just had a quick look at its manual and it doesn't seem to have the programmable features some of the other watches have.

I think P&D has made me a bit delusional...even after a bad run yesterday I still really enjoy the plan, probably more than HHN2 :eek: I actually like longer runs and don't really warm up properly on anything under 7 miles...my bucket list used to include 'marathon before 40'. With that done a few years early the new bucket list is hankering towards 'something further than marathon (not sure how far) before 40'...someone please get me help :eek:

Oh oh, you should consider the 50k in Portumna. I've been secretly harbouring thoughts of doing it. Ten laps of a 5km loop. How hard could that be? :)

The reports on here lead me to believe it's a great day out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056605327

I don't think the 110 can, I just had a quick look at its manual and it doesn't seem to have the programmable features some of the other watches have.

Thanks Killian might have to get a fancier model at some stage, I'd say those features would be very handy indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Just catching up on things. I for one am glad I have no plans to run a marathon this year and do not own or possess any books written by P & D :D.

• Advertisement

coalshed wrote: »
    Oh oh, you should consider the 50k in Portumna. I've been secretly harbouring thoughts of doing it. Ten laps of a 5km loop. How hard could that be? :)

The reports on here lead me to believe it's a great day out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056605327

Very interesting indeed coalshed, could be on next year's horizon all right :) Are you considering it this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Never under estimate the effect the conditions have on your run. Slippy under foot means you are using a lot more energy and not running freely / comfortably. That's a great run all things considered.

+1 that was a tough ask +weather + recovery
    Buggy all the way - great excuse for my pace !

Congratulation PM - such a cutie
    Seeing buggies now nearly every week at parkrun - defo way to go.

(PS:So did you get the run in beforhand? )

Very interesting indeed coalshed, could be on next year's horizon all right :) Are you considering it this year?

Thinking about it, though I haven't considered the logistics of training for it. Still, might give it a lash.

Thinking about it, though I haven't considered the logistics of training for it. Still, might give it a lash.

Sure it's only 8k more than a marathon. Piece of pi$$!

Sure it's only 8k more than a marathon. Piece of pi$$!

So that's two signed up. Who's next? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

On my bucket list, can't run fast so may as well run far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    Just a question about the P&D plan, what’s with the long recovery runs? I remember Meno and a few other experienced heads on here saying that a recovery run should be no more than 40-50 mins, yet P&D has recovery runs of 7 miles. Its things like this that I dislike about the plan, I don’t mind going out and doing the mileage, but it’s nice to have a couple of days a week where you only do 4-5 miles. 7 miles seems unnecessarily long.

I can't imagine any problems with cutting the recovery runs back to 4-5 miles tbh. The point of those runs is recovery not stress, so if you were going to tinker with part of the plan, that would be it.

R.E. Portumna 50k, isn't C_M already signed up to it? Be warned though, if you do that you might get talking to a few of the nuts doing the 100k. Before long you will be signed up for the 50miler in Dingle in September :pac:

In light of a the why running questions, I came across these :-)

http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/17/running-mark-rowlands-alexandra-heminsley-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    R.E. Portumna 50k, isn't C_M already signed up to it? Be warned though, if you do that you might get talking to a few of the nuts doing the 100k. Before long you will be signed up for the 50miler in Dingle in September :pac:
    Guilty as charged ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Walkedit wrote: »
    +1 that was a tough ask +weather + recovery

Congratulation PM - such a cutie
    Seeing buggies now nearly every week at parkrun - defo way to go.

(PS:So did you get the run in beforhand? )

Thanks mate :)

No the run did not go ahead. When I looked out at 6am and saw it bucketing snow I elected to leave for the hospital early just in case !

(That's my excuse and I am sticking to it :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Congrats PM on the new arrival. Missed a couple of days so its taken me ages to catch up on all the threads and the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

30m lsr done at 5am down the coast... In my nip... Eating an ice cream... Htfu

Lightweight, I did 60meters.

If I get 8 miles in today, I deserve to win the Limerick Marathon, not just finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Flake or no flake?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

C_M is that you??? :P

Don't know how I missed you! :-)

Guilty as charged ;)

Cool. It looks like a great race. are you doing the 50? (or the 100 :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Cool. It looks like a great race. are you doing the 50? (or the 100 :))

Its the 50 for me :D 100 is a bit mad.....mind you I used to think running 10k was a bit mad I think it sounds like a great race. Ať first I was thinking ugh laps but I kind of liked doing the two laps in Bohermeen cause you knew what to expect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I really need to get off Boards, I read the thread about the Portumna race and was thinking - hmmmmmmm, sounds interesting :o

• Advertisement

Its the 50 for me :D 100 is a bit mad.....mind you I used to think running 10k was a bit mad I think it sounds like a great race. Ať first I was thinking ugh laps but I kind of liked doing the two laps in Bohermeen cause you knew what to expect :D

Good opportunities for before, during and after photos that can track the descent of a runner from cheery enthusiasm through self loathing and on to relief :)

Advertisement