Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

The weather god's must LOVE me...decided last night that this morning's run would be canned in favour of jumping on the spin bike in the garage...got up, dressed for the bike, looked outside - NO SNOW - yippee - still time to get the running gear on and head out...ok gale force winds for the first few miles - but wind behind me on the way back and having an absolute ball :P...made me realise that I bloody love to run, and outside in the elements too...imagine I could have been stuck in the garage on a bike watching crappy tv :eek: Only regret was not having time to do 12 miles, 8 had to do...here's hoping the weather god's are in your favour today too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Runchick wrote: »
    The weather god's must LOVE me...decided last night that this morning's run would be canned in favour of jumping on the spin bike in the garage...got up, dressed for the bike, looked outside - NO SNOW - yippee - still time to get the running gear on and head out...ok gale force winds for the first few miles - but wind behind me on the way back and having an absolute ball :P...made me realise that I bloody love to run, and outside in the elements too...imagine I could have been stuck in the garage on a bike watching crappy tv :eek: Only regret was not having time to do 12 miles, 8 had to do...here's hoping the weather god's are in your favour today too ;)

For a change I was quite glad to be carrying a few extra pounds stone. Would hate to think what that wind would do to a skinny runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Big change in the weather down here last night & this morning,due to a lot of flooding around & high winds decided to avoid the roads this morning & head for the local woods.
    Hit with a shower of hailstones for starters,continuous rain & pretty strong wind throughout ,in places puddles were taking over the trails & at times it was like running along streams but 4 laps later of a hilly mucky wood 20 miles covered at an average pace of 10:15, a bit on the slow side but considering the conditions etc it felt good to get this LSR done & dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone ever do a gaelforce event? Considering doing the north or west one. Anyone else up for it?

docjewel wrote: »
    Big change in the weather down here last night & this morning,due to a lot of flooding around & high winds decided to avoid the roads this morning & head for the local woods.
    Hit with a shower of hailstones for starters,continuous rain & pretty strong wind throughout ,in places puddles were taking over the trails & at times it was like running along streams but 4 laps later of a hilly mucky wood 20 miles covered at an average pace of 10:15, a bit on the slow side but considering the conditions etc it felt good to get this LSR done & dusted.

Hats off to you doc, well done getting that done in those conditions :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

LT session done, 10km at 10 mile pace. I love you, P&D. I'm sorry for what I said about you behind your back. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

5.73mi @8:37 avg pace. Cold, wet and windy. Was glad of the shower when I got back. My running gear washbag is twice as heavy as usual with all this running in the rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Lightweight, I did 60meters.

If I get 8 miles in today, I deserve to win the Limerick Marathon, not just finish.

Bought Irish Runner today, good man. Great piece.

Anyone ever do a gaelforce event? Considering doing the north or west one. Anyone else up for it?

Definitely something I'd consider in the future but maybe not this year. Would need to get a decent bike too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

RedRunner wrote: »

Definitely something I'd consider in the future but maybe not this year. Would need to get a decent bike too!
    Or a lend of one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Just call me RunChick.

8m done at 7am. (postponed from yesterday)

Really nice run, after all my singing previously about the garmin, i started it, then fixed it to my belt and ran on, didn't look at it once. Finished fresh & happy, at 9.35avg (9.51 planned)

Nice weather, a little drizzle & cold enough to make you want to keep the pace up and get home for a hot shower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Just call me RunChick.

Really nice run, after all my singing previously about the garmin, i started it, then fixed it to my belt and ran on, didn't look at it once. Finished fresh & happy, at 9.35avg (9.51 planned)

Nice weather, a little drizzle & cold enough to make you want to keep the pace up and get home for a hot shower!

Well done killian, now try and get that run finished by 7!

Just call me RunChick.

Haha well done - early mornings feel great don't they :p I had a lie in and ran at 9.30am :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I had a lie in and ran at 9.30am :eek:
    Slacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

20 miler today and its absolutely miserable in Dublin, well done to all running today. First 14 were 8.45 pace then I gradually upped to 8 min pace for the next couple of miles and finished the last two at 7.30. Its the first time I've ever managed any kind of decent fast finish long run, always found it impossible to hit faster paces after going slow for so long but I found that if I eased into it over a mile or so it became manageable and it gradually began to feel easy again. Its a decent confidence booster but I think this one will be bit tough to recover from. Copious amounts of lovely Guinness tonight to celebrate my birthday though then I'm off the beer for the month or so in the run up to Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

20 miler today and its absolutely miserable in Dublin, well done to all running today. First 14 were 8.45 pace then I gradually upped to 8 min pace for the next couple of miles and finished the last two at 7.30. Its the first time I've ever managed any kind of decent fast finish long run, always found it impossible to hit faster paces after going slow for so long but I found that if I eased into it over a mile or so it became manageable and it gradually began to feel easy again. Its a decent confidence booster but I think this one will be bit tough to recover from. Copious amounts of lovely Guinness tonight to celebrate my birthday though then I'm off the beer for the month or so in the run up to Limerick!
    Wow well done that's some run! 7.30s after 18 mile, respect!!

13.35 miles @ 9:00avg .Nice leisurely run on a chilly , blustery at times morning. Ran with a small group from club which made it much more interesting than doing it alone. Felt strong at the end, so all is rosy in the running garden at the moment.:)

UPDATE:

Legs - fecked
    Head - doubly fecked
    Today's destination - Kildare Village (For feck sake!)

Overpronator - I think your post today will sum up how I will be feeling tomorrow :P

21.05 miles, 9.27min pace, 53.5 miles for the week...not quite the 55 miles from P&D but considering illness last week and the weather this week I'm happy enough with that. Tough enough going at times this morning - took a gel at 13 and 17 miles - no way I could have finished without them :rolleyes: 26.2 miles seems just as daunting as it did the first time around :eek:

Overpronator - I think your post today will sum up how I will be feeling tomorrow :P

21.05 miles, 9.27min pace, 53.5 miles for the week...not quite the 55 miles from P&D but considering illness last week and the weather this week I'm happy enough with that. Tough enough going at times this morning - took a gel at 13 and 17 miles - no way I could have finished without them :rolleyes: 26.2 miles seems just as daunting as it did the first time around :eek:

21 miles at the end of that kind of week coupled with sickness is absolutely great going, the work is all but done for you the 26.2 will be the easy part, fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's some going Runchick, you've really bounced back from your illness. I still have my 20 miles to look forward to, heading out in the next hour or so :(

Heading out for 20miles - including the last 15 of the Marathon course. I may be some time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Heading out for 20miles - including the last 15 of the Marathon course. I may be some time.....

Just back in from 20 miles of hypothermia!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

UPDATE:

Legs - fecked
    Head - doubly fecked
    Today's destination - Kildare Village (For feck sake!)

Post of the year!!

20 miles done whoohoo! The headwind coming back was horrendous, had water streaming from my eyes , so glad to climb into hot bath after. Great to have reached the 20 mile milestone though!! I was glad of gel at mile 10 n also had lucozade sport drink with me, def helps. Needed loo 3 times though! Kinda worrying with half marathon next weekend , reckon 2 Imodium will b required!! Eek!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

It's cold out there folks!! Brrrrr!! Icy wind to boot! Couldn't warm up for the entire LSR :rolleyes: On a positive note, all the hard work done, it's taper time!!!! :D

blockic wrote: »
    It's cold out there folks!! Brrrrr!! Icy wind to boot! Couldn't warm up for the entire LSR :rolleyes: On a positive note, all the hard work done, it's taper time!!!! :D
    Well done blockic, it's fantastic to get to taper! As u say the hard works all done now! Great job. U will do fantastic , uve def put in such hard work n effort n it will pay off on the day for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ran with a small group from club which made it much more interesting than doing it alone.

I hope you have moved up a few groups now since your HM last week! :)
    21.05 miles, 9.27min pace, 53.5 miles for the week...not quite the 55 miles from P&D but considering illness last week and the weather this week I'm happy enough with that.

Super week there Runchick, are you running the HM next week?
    New runner wrote: »
    Well done blockic, it's fantastic to get to taper! As u say the hard works all done now! Great job. U will do fantastic , uve def put in such hard work n effort n it will pay off on the day for sure!

Thanks new runner, great run yourself today. 20milers are great boosters. Delighted I'm almost there now. Those countless dark midweek evenings running 12+ miles better pay off. Spring Marathons..never again! ;)

Wanted 20mls at 9.51
    Did 20.5m at 9.56

Tough stuff with the last sector from the marathon finish to home being pretty much all uphill contributing to a 10.26/10.51(!)/10.38 last three miles!

2 gels at 10 & 15 miles and 1litre of water drunk from a camelback.

Highest weeks mileage of my short running career of 43miles done. Tomorrows day of rest can't come soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

blockic wrote: »
    On a positive note, all the hard work done, it's taper time!!!! :D

I know there's a smiley in there, but have a look at the P&D plan again- there's plenty of hard work left. One of the biggest differences IMO between the P&D and HH is the effect of the taper- HH runners are joggers, still drinking, running short and slow... taking it easy and eating pasta for 3 weeks doesn't really affect their race too much. However, the P&D is a big step up in intensity and commitment, and runners are wrecked at this stage with 3 weeks to go. The temptation is to see the taper as representing rest, with all the hard work for the race already done. If you take another look at whats left, the milage decreases, but the intensity doesn't. It's a common mistake to view this taper period as taking the foot off the gas. Still a bit of hard work to go ;)

Advertisement