Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Jaysus, I always miss the good stuff.

Reading back on it is interesting, being a total neutral (I think), I do think Kurt was trying to give advice, then it was like in a GAA match where 2 players are knocking into each other and a 3rd player comes in and gives a big shoulder, then a 4thlayer throws a side dig to the kidneys, then there's a big melee in the middle of the pitch, with the crowd looking on, cheering for both sides, kinda hoping that it stops, but secertly wishing for it to continue...................but in the end, the Dubs always win.

Or something like that......

Haha I was thinking it was kind of like a boxing match.......

In the red corner ........... dressed to the nines in shiny lycra and busy calculating exactly how many people he can offend with one remark .....ladies and gentlemen its Mr kurt godel

And in the blue corner ......... armed with bowls of pasta and copies of p&d ..... give it up for Meno musketeer and his band of merry graduates

DING DING :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

27k today in cold conditions. Been a tough week. Had postponed last week's LSR to Monday so techically this was a 92k (58 mile) week. Both long runs were in cold conditions though, and I didn't enjoy either of them despite my usual tolerance for that kind of thing. Will see how we get on next week at the Omagh HM, but not feeling too enthusiastic or optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Looking back there now on the posts, I do genuinely think Kurt was aiming to partake with the group and give good advise. His experienced knowledge is definitely welcome and we would be at a loss without it. We are all still in our infancy after all and need all the advise we can get.

The reference to HH was likely about HHN1 where it is someones first marathon off minimal base, cos I know that was pretty much me last year!:)

Sure we have said it ourselves that HHN1 does have flaws for certain niches.

I did run all my runs slow, didnt cut out much drink cos I was burning thousands of calories so I could drink to my hearts content and for taper because all HHN1 runs are slow, I totally eased off the effort thinking the more I sat on the couch for those three weeks the fresher I would be for DCM! :)

It actually raised a very good point about the taper and to reduce mileage but not the effort of the miles you actually do to ensure you reach the start in best possible condition. TRR put it well above.

To cut a long story short, we still need to keep our guard up whilst on taper!

the Dubs always win.

Ah here, leave it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

blockic wrote: »
    Looking back there now on the posts, I do genuinely think Kurt was aiming to partake with the group and give good advise. His experienced knowledge is definitely welcome and we would be at a loss without it. We are all still in our infancy after all and need all the advise we can get.

The reference to HH was likely about HHN1 where it is someones first marathon off minimal base, cos I know that was pretty much me last year!:)

Sure we have said it ourselves that HHN1 does have flaws for certain niches.

I did run all my runs slow, didnt cut out much drink cos I was burning thousands of calories so I could drink to my hearts content and for taper because all HHN1 runs are slow, I totally eased off the effort thinking the more I sat on the couch for those three weeks the fresher I would be for DCM! :)

It actually raised a very good point about the taper and to reduce mileage but not the effort of the miles you actually do to ensure you reach the start in best possible condition. TRR put it well above.

To cut a long story short, we still need to keep our guard up whilst on taper!

Ah come off it blockic, ur either in the blue corner or the red corner.
    being up there amoung those fenian black and tans must be diluting the rebel blood in you. Stand up and fight man!!

• Advertisement

tomred1N wrote: »
    Ah come off it blockic, ur either in the blue corner or the red corner.
    being up there amoung those fenian black and tans must be diluting the rebel blood in you. Stand up and fight man!!

I've always been more of a referee myself!! :D Seriously though, sometimes it is good to get a visitor to give us a kick up the backside now and again. Keep us on our toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I've always been more of a referee myself!! :D Seriously though, sometimes it is good to get a visitor to give us a kick up the backside now and again. Keep us on our toes!

Even if he is hopping a huge ball??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Corn on the cob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

+1 to that Blockic.

I was reading an old blog from a few years ago (as I do, I have no friends, and it passes the time).......and the person in question made a great remark that even "the recovery runs are being applauded", I'm sure no one here wants that, but maybe we can bring some balance to it. From my experience its the encouragement and also the advice from others that bring us on.

Balance is what we need, the majority here are Graduates, not Novices, so maybe kid gloves can come off every now and the. ( he says, hiding behind the sofa)

+1 to that Blockic.

I was reading an old blog from a few years ago (as I do, I have no friends, and it passes the time).......and the person in question made a great remark that even "the recovery runs are being applauded", I'm sure no one here wants that, but maybe we can bring some balance to it. From my experience its the encouragement and also the advice from others that bring us on.

Balance is what we need, the majority here are Graduates, not Novices, so maybe kid gloves can come off every now and the. ( he says, hiding behind the sofa)

How are you defending someone that champions drinking less beer??

• Advertisement

Hang on......who said drinking less beer?

Feck.

Feck.

It wasn't even less beer... It was NO beer

Gavlor wrote: »

How are you defending someone that champions drinking less beer??

You cant be drinking beer when you're pacing with the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Would it be inappropriate to point out that last year Mrs D and I didn't drink from July till after DCM?

Feck.

this is mad i thought K God meant fookin less water..... so u end up having less pitt stops. There i was thinking i was heading for elite status after 20 miles today with no water and no pitt stop! Back to novice status i guess. ( dont tell him i had another bottle of rioja last night.... a typical HH runner ha ha ) i come from a very unscientific gaa background. drink hard play hard and if he is faster/younger than you take him out or at the very least start a fight!!

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Would it be inappropriate to point out that last year Mrs D and I didn't drink from July till after DCM?

watch ur back dilbert !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Feck.

Not me
    It wasn't even less beer... It was NO beer

Eh definitely not. Sure kurt is a fecker. I won't divulge details but check out his pacing brief in DCM last year, fecking disgrace he was :) having said that I was mildly alarmed when kurt referred to my log as an alcoholics with a running problem ;)
    rasher_m wrote: »
    You cant be drinking beer when you're pacing with the big boys.

Can't speak for the sub 2.20 boys or the sub 2.30 boys (just yet ;)) but I know a lot of the sub 2.40 boyos like a tipple or two. The real "superstar" runners probably avoid it though.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »

That's just ridiculous.

How did TRR suddenly become the good guy?

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I think RK made some points about the debate earlier and although I didn't totally agree with all of Kurt's comments I have met himin "real life" where he has paced races last year and I found on both occasions that he offered words of encouragement to me, an obvious novice.

Also lest we forget he organised the Boards AC tops which shows that he does have the interest of the running forum at heart. How many of us here have had great encouragement from the shout outs for Boards because we were wearing one of those tops. I know I have.

Having played team sports all my life, I also recognise the camaradery of this thread and enjoy the full-on encouragement that is rampant. I consider participation in this thread almost an essential part of my training plans at this stage because of the motivation it gives me so keep on with the encouragement and keep on with the healthy debates. It's all good as far as I am concerned.

:-)

I heard from Digger that hes only like that to our faces...
    He said TRR thinks everyone on the log is a dipstick

• Advertisement

well said rasher. if you cant catch them start a fight and drag them down a level or two.

thought p&d would have me snoozing by now. may need to try g&t next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I hope you have moved up a few groups now since your HM last week! :)

Ha Ha..not quite but thanks ,I get what you mean. I'll be very patient and take each week as it comes. Next target is a new 10k PB with 2 opportunities in April, GIR and Samsung Night Run. Time for some speedplay:D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ha Ha..not quite but thanks ,I get what you mean. I'll be very patient and take each week as it comes. Next target is a new 10k PB with 2 opportunities in April, GIR and Samsung Night Run. Time for some speedplay:D

Thought you said time for some Speedos :eek:
    I really need to rest my brain!

Ha feck off just because I drink beer doesn't make me a good guy. I actually know the point kurt was trying to make but it has got mixed up here and maybe wasn't the best place to try and get it across as there are a couple of arguments in full flow now. In essence he is saying any beer swilling boyo can run/walk/complete a marathon. However if you want to push on and improve you need to up the mileage and maybe not drink as much beer.

Have a look a 2 pics attached. First is DCM novice, second is DCM more experienced runner. Which of those two do you think drank more beer while training for those respective marathons. Which one do you think ran more miles in that marathon training cycle?

Digger is always misrepresenting me. I call you a shower of dickheads not dipsticks ;)

But who had more fun in the 6 months before the marathon???

But who had more fun in the 6 months before the marathon???

Depends on your definition of fun. If sitting in a bar feeling a bit depressed about your weight and how you're wasting the bit of athletic talent you have then pic 1. If running around in the fresh air with old school friends, turning up to races and seeing improvements week to week etc then pic 2. Personally I had a better time in pic 2. Pic 2 still gets a warm glow when he thinks about that race, pic 1 was a painful underprepared slog in relative terms.

TRR wrote: »

Depends on your definition of fun. If sitting in a bar feeling a bit depressed about your weight and how you're wasting the bit of athletic talent you have then pic 1. If running around in the fresh air with old school friends, turning up to races and seeing improvements week to week etc then pic 2. Personally I had a better time in pic 2. Pic 2 still gets a warm glow when he thinks about that race, pic 1 was a painful underprepared slog in relative terms.

There's some difference in the 2 pics. You should start a 'motivational weight loss' business and use those as your marketing pictures!

Personally I think that there's a middle ground between your comparisons above. I think that's where I'm at. I'm not really interested in hitting super race times if it means completely changing my lifestyle.

Personally I think that there's a middle ground between your comparisons above. I think that's where I'm at. I'm not really interested in hitting super race times if it means completely changing my lifestyle.

Yes there probably is but I think I am the middle ground. I didn't really change my lifestyle that much. I still eat lots of things I shouldn't. The major thing I changed was my drinking habits. About a year before that pic was taken I was a pub regular Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Cut that back to one night a week and you are looking at 2lb weight loss a week minimum. In the lead up to a martahon my ability to consume/metabolise alcohol decreases so it looks after itself.

Yes there probably is but I think I am the middle ground. I didn't really change my lifestyle that much. I still eat lots of things I shouldn't. The major thing I changed was my drinking habits. About a year before that pic was taken I was a pub regular Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Cut that back to one night a week and you are looking at 2lb weight loss a week minimum. In the lead up to a martahon my ability to consume/metabolise alcohol decreases so it looks after itself.

While you're here, what kind of supplements do you take?

For me it's pea protein, morepa omega 3, vit b and vit c & manuka honey to keep the cold and flu at bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Have a look a 2 pics attached. First is DCM novice, second is DCM more experienced runner. Which of those two do you think drank more beer while training for those respective marathons. Which one do you think ran more miles in that marathon training cycle?

Fair play for making changes but Jeez, if Pic 1 is the before pic, I've a long way to go!

Advertisement