Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

rasher_m wrote: »
    I heard from Digger that hes only like that to our faces...
    He said TRR thinks everyone on the log is a dipstick
    TRR wrote: »
    Digger is always misrepresenting me. I call you a shower of dickheads not dipsticks ;)

I believe the phrase actually used was ''TRR thinks everyone calls his log a dickstick'' ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Gavlor wrote: »
    While you're here, what kind of supplements do you take?

For me it's pea protein, morepa omega 3, vit b and vit c & manuka honey to keep the cold and flu at bay

Don't actually take anything. Think I get everything I need from my diet. I'm rarely sick. 2 months out from a marathon I usually start on pharmaton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Very good photos TRR, shows what any jogger can do with a bit more dedication. HTFU and you get the results you deserve.

Nice bit of side cleavage on display in pic 1, brave of you to go for the singlet option. I was more of a tshirt and bra man myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don't actually take anything. Think I get everything I need from my diet. I'm rarely sick. 2 months out from a marathon I usually start on pharmaton.

It's the only thing running wise* that I'm anal about! Have to avoid that dreaded man flu

That and boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Have a look a 2 pics attached. First is DCM novice, second is DCM more experienced runner. Which of those two do you think drank more beer while training for those respective marathons. Which one do you think ran more miles in that marathon training cycle?
    ;)

I'd go back to the 4 nights a week in the pub if I were you.... You didn't finish your races with a load of gob on your face back then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Fair play for making changes but Jeez, if Pic 1 is the before pic, I've a long way to go!

that was a year after I started my mini transformation was about 20lbs heavier at the start of the summer before starting to train for that race
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Nice bit of side cleavage on display in pic 1, brave of you to go for the singlet option. I was more of a tshirt and bra man myself;)

that one was for the lads
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'd go back to the 4 nights a week in the pub if I were you.... You didn't finish your races with a load of gob on your face back then ;)

ha ha yes but more likely to have a smattering of curry sauce post pints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Anyone else have a hankering for a night out after all the beer talk in the last 24 hours???
    dog-drinking-beer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Fair play for making changes but Jeez, if Pic 1 is the before pic, I've a long way to go!

Ah I don't know Killian, when I seen your pic in the Irish Runner I thought you were an attractive man.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ah I don't know Killian, when I seen your pic in the Irish Runner I thought you were an attractive man.

Thank You.

(can someone call the police)

I am in Clonakilty this weekend Thursday to Monday

will need to get an 8m easy run, an 11m easy & a 20m lsr (on Saturday) done.

Anyone in the area interested in going for a bit of a 9.50min mile ish jog (but putting in the effort of course if you're on a taper, cant let the mind relax).

Not necessarily in Clon, but the general locality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ha feck off just because I drink beer doesn't make me a good guy. I actually know the point kurt was trying to make but it has got mixed up here and maybe wasn't the best place to try and get it across as there are a couple of arguments in full flow now. In essence he is saying any beer swilling boyo can run/walk/complete a marathon. However if you want to push on and improve you need to up the mileage and maybe not drink as much beer.

Have a look a 2 pics attached. First is DCM novice, second is DCM more experienced runner. Which of those two do you think drank more beer while training for those respective marathons. Which one do you think ran more miles in that marathon training cycle?

Digger is always misrepresenting me. I call you a shower of dickheads not dipsticks ;)

I can't believe all the people thanking TRR after him calling them all Dickheads :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can't believe all the people thanking TRR after him calling them all Dickheads :confused:

No need to be offended. TRR thinks everyone is a dickhead. Actually dickhead is the mildest term I have ever heard him use to describe somebody ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

So I've just sobered up after the weekend, have I missed anything?

So I've just sobered up after the weekend, have I missed anything?

I see what you did there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

remember when we used to talk about running...................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Gavlor wrote: »
    I see what you did there ;)

Ha, you're wise to me alright! Ive read the last few pages with interest I have to say. I really value when the experienced heads come in and give their tuppenceworth as the advice is always helpful for someone like me who is approaching his one year running anniversary, I always try to take a mental note of what they say because basically anything I know about this sport has mostly come from here. As for the "tactless" comments, they're mostly just anonymous usernames to me anyway and its a public forum so if I don't like what they say can I can ignore them, the internet isn't such a serious business to me, I kinda enjoy the bit of slagging too I have to say!

Moving on, I've a 48 mile week ahead so looking forward to getting stuck in tonight, hoping the legs loosen up ok after a tough 20 miler for me on Saturday. What's everyone else's week looking like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I did P & D last year and found it to be fantastic. I questioned the plan many times, lots of long slow runs etc, not much speed work. Even the taper was tough. But stick with it, it works, I went sub 3 after changing from hh style plans. No need to give up the beer though. It's character building doing a LSR with a hangover, that was a key session for me! That said, the fitter you get, the worse the hangovers get, so you tend to try and avoid them.

I agree with earlier post that mentioned people could be tired so soon after another marathon rather than P&D being difficult. There's no way I could do another P&D program for least a few months. E

Moving on, I've a 48 mile week ahead so looking forward to getting stuck in tonight, hoping the legs loosen up ok after a tough 20 miler for me on Saturday. What's everyone else's week looking like?

46 miles ahead for me - up on last week. This week will be difficult as I'm heading away for Easter so will have to do it in unfamiliar routes around hilly Clonakilty & west Cork. I've another 20m lsr this week after just doing one yesterday!

I think I may drop my pace a bit in order to get through the week rather than attempt it, get wrecked and skip runs as a result.

The week away is being spent with family, my mother in law and two spinster Aunts, one 64 and one 93! I may actually be better off staying out running as long as possible!

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I did P & D last year and found it to be fantastic. I questioned the plan many times, lots of long slow runs etc, not much speed work. Even the taper was tough. But stick with it, it works, I went sub 3 after changing from hh style plans. No need to give up the beer though. It's character building doing a LSR with a hangover, that was a key session for me! That said, the fitter you get, the worse the hangovers get, so you tend to try and avoid them.

I agree with earlier post that mentioned people could be tired so soon after another marathon rather than P&D being difficult. There's no way I could do another P&D program for least a few months. E

Thanks for the advice, was planning on heading into P&D pretty much straight after Limerick.

I may hold off for a couple of weeks, I want to try to build a strength & conditioning side to the training so may start with that and perhaps spend 6 weeks or so on shorter sharper sessions with a view to maybe getting a bit faster :)

46 miles ahead for me - up on last week. This week will be difficult as I'm heading away for Easter so will have to do it in unfamiliar routes around hilly Clonakilty & west Cork. I've another 20m lsr this week after just doing one yesterday!

I think I may drop my pace a bit in order to get through the week rather than attempt it, get wrecked and skip runs as a result.

The week away is being spent with family, my mother in law and two spinster Aunts, one 64 and one 93! I may actually be better off staying out running as long as possible!

Wealthy spinster aunts????

No wonder you are willing to run on foreign ground ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

6am V02 session done, easy running for the rest of the week until race day on Saturday :D

As for Kurt & co. they can come back here any time, that was some craic :D I like to believe the conversation went something like this:
    Meno to Kurt: Kurt, I'm a bit worried about last year's novice group, they're all too busy encouraging and supporting each other, but they need to learn what its really like, can you go in there and teach them a bit of HTFU?
    Kurt to Meno: no probs some of them are starting a taper, I'll use that angle ;)

To be fair, points made have been taken on board. Think I'll have a crack at the full recommended P&D taper, sure if I fall asleep at the start line I will have someone to blame :p

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    6am V02 session done, easy running for the rest of the week until race day on Saturday :D

As for Kurt & co. they can come back here any time, that was some craic :D I like to believe the conversation went something like this:
    Meno to Kurt: Kurt, I'm a bit worried about last year's novice group, they're all too busy encouraging and supporting each other, but they need to learn what its really like, can you go in there and teach them a bit of HTFU?
    Kurt to Meno: no probs some of them are starting a taper, I'll use that angle ;)

To be fair, points made have been taken on board. Think I'll have a crack at the full recommended P&D taper, sure if I fall asleep at the start line I will have someone to blame :p
    RC I'm sitting here at home thinking I must go out and do mine too, on annual leave this week thankfully but chilling with kids and snow still in the garden is very making it very difficult to find my HTFU! Reading ur post that u out at 6am makes me feel really lazy! So that's it , get off my bum and go get it done!!!! ( yeah seriously I AM going soon! ) . At least like yourself , easy all the way till Saturday after today!!

New runner wrote: »
    RC I'm sitting here at home thinking I must go out and do mine too, on annual leave this week thankfully but chilling with kids and snow still in the garden is very making it very difficult to find my HTFU! Reading ur post that u out at 6am makes me feel really lazy! So that's it , get off my bum and go get it done!!!! ( yeah seriously I AM going soon! ) . At least like yourself , easy all the way till Saturday after today!!

9m done in the (light flurries of) snow! Covered the watch again; 9.51planned - 9.40 actual. I'm enjoying not being a slave to time, but I'm not quite ready to get rid of it yet!

Get your arse out for a run New Runner.

9m done in the (light flurries of) snow! Covered the watch again; 9.51planned - 9.40 actual. I'm enjoying not being a slave to time, but I'm not quite ready to get rid of it yet!

Get your arse out for a run New Runner.
    Lol Killian ! That made me smile, as u see I still haven't gone yet ! Well done u! Fair play to u. God u both laying on the guilt trip today!! Ok ok I'm going!!! :):)

New runner wrote: »

Haha - I hate that feeling...but you know how good it'll feel when you get back ;) Hopefully you have it over you when you read this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

6am V02 session done

8:45am peeling myself out of bed. Done. :pac:

How people can run that fast, that early, I'll never know.:eek:

Quite jealous I'll be honest

blockic wrote: »
    8:45am peeling myself out of bed. Done. :pac:

How people can run that fast, that early, I'll never know.:eek:

Quite jealous I'll be honest

Eh 'that fast' - I can't run a mile at your easy pace :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

It's all relative!!

You would put in the same effort on these sessions that I would in mine!

Haha - I hate that feeling...but you know how good it'll feel when you get back ;) Hopefully you have it over you when you read this :D
    Thanks RC yeahhh!! Session done!! Did 10.1m . Once actually got out it was grand. Was wrapped up as if going to North Pole n ended up too warm. Did 6 x 90 secs at vo2 max with 90 secs recovery. So after that the rest of miles seemed easy!! Jeez def cudnt do it at 6am!! Cudnt even do recovery at that time!

• Advertisement

I well jel of u both! Coz apart from not been able to run an easy mile at blockic's pace , cudnt run at 6am either! So fair at to u both!

Advertisement