Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

New runner wrote: »
    Thanks RC yeahhh!! Session done!! Did 10.1m . Once actually got out it was grand. Was wrapped up as if going to North Pole n ended up too warm. Did 6 x 90 secs at vo2 max with 90 secs recovery. So after that the rest of miles seemed easy!! Jeez def cudnt do it at 6am!! Cudnt even do recovery at that time!

Well done! Next stop Omagh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »

Well done! Next stop Omagh :D
    Sure is!! Hopefully b better weather too, the wind is the worst I think! Hopefully see u there! Whoohoo!! N murphd77 too!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Anyone running today in Dublin?? Very snowy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

dechol wrote: »

Hoping to get out later, I've never ran in snow, wonder how that works out, don't want to fall on my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah, will be out later come what may!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Heading out soon for 19k - it's snowing here in Wexford but it's light enough that I doubt it'll cause me much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

14m home from work planned, sun is due to come out latter!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Short 6.5k run this morning at 7am just as the blizzard began. First couple of k were straight into it, and it was hard going as the snowflakes were quite firm (almost hail-like). Easier on the way back :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just back from 19k - it was lovely to be out on a midweek run in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    it was lovely to be out on a midweek run in daylight.

+1 I totally took bright evenings for granted during DCM. I will appreciate them this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    +1 I totally took bright evenings for granted during DCM. I will appreciate them this year!
    +2, counting down to the hour going forward on Saturday.... even if it does mean 1 hour less in bed! Now if we could only get some Spring weather to go with that Spring time change!

ncmc wrote: »
    +2, counting down to the hour going forward on Saturday.... even if it does mean 1 hour less in bed! Now if we could only get some Spring weather to go with that Spring time change!

Plus we get to screw over the morning runners by taking brightness away from them and have it for ourselves in the evening! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Yep...2.8 mile sprint with club tonight in Raheny...should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I just signed up for the Great Ireland Run on April 14th. Are any of you doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I just signed up for the Great Ireland Run on April 14th. Are any of you doing it?
    I have signed up for it but not 100% sure I can do it now. Hoping I can. Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I always bring the camera phone to take a few photos of the elites before the race. Im signed up but still have my calf problem.

Is that the same as national 10k in phoenix park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Yes, I'm signed up for it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

New runner wrote: »
    Is that the same as national 10k in phoenix park?

That's the one.....

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Haven't signed up yet but probably will.

• Advertisement

I going to Newcastle the following Friday morn for weekend so feel bad leaving kids n someone to look after them to travel from Donegal so although I'd luv to do it think ill give it a miss. There's a 5k breast charity run on in ballybofey same day so may do that instead. Thanks LM

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Got my entry sorted this morning for Cork City Marathon:) so its all systems go.

Thankfully & overall I've been really lucky down here with the weather but despite it being cold & some biting breezes no snow or rain to contend with thankfully,almost ideal for running.

schedule so far this week:-

Monday
    Rest
    Tuesday
    14m LSR
    Wednesday
    12m LSR with 10 miles@ MP,running in hilly area but kept the - effort up as best possible
    Thursday
    8m recovery run with speed, 8 x100m strides

Plan for the next few days,
    Friday
    16m LSR
    Saturday
    6m Recovery
    Sunday
    6m Recovery am & 4m Recovery pm

There is a fun 10K run on locally on Monday so the plan is to run to the event from home as a warm-up,(4 miles),do the 10k race & 4mile cool-down on the way home & take either Tuesday or Wednesday as a rest day.

Next week is a recovery week but even with the higher mileage at present I'm feeling pretty good but I think some of that is down to making a greater effort to head off to bed early where possible.

A quick question,on the P&D plan I'm following it calls for a 20 mile 3 weeks out from the marathon,now on that weekend is the Bandon half marathon,probably not the easiest of half marathons around but if I can do it,it'll be the only half marathon/10mile race I can slot in between now & Cork,should it be a)raced at half marathon pace or b)run at marathon pace & do a few miles warm-up/cooldown to make up the mileage or c)would I be best to just concentrate on the 20mile LSR?

docjewel wrote: »
    A quick question,on the P&D plan I'm following it calls for a 20 mile 3 weeks out from the marathon,now on that weekend is the Bandon half marathon,probably not the easiest of half marathons around but if I can do it,it'll be the only half marathon/10mile race I can slot in between now & Cork,should it be a)raced at half marathon pace or b)run at marathon pace & do a few miles warm-up/cooldown to make up the mileage or c)would I be best to just concentrate on the 20mile LSR?

I'd do B myself, wouldn't do A as it is a bit close to race full tilt and C is always an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I'd do B myself, wouldn't do A as it is a bit close to race full tilt and C is always an option.

My fear of doing 'B' is that I'd get carried away & end up going faster than planned so I'm thinking 'C' is probably the better option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I agree with Blockic, I think it’s a bit close to CCM to race it full tilt. I did Cork to Cobh last year 4 weeks before DCM when the plan called for a 20 mile LSR. I did a 5 mile warm up and then ran the 15 mile race at PMP. I believe Bandon is quite a difficult course, so I would err on the side of caution and not race it at HMP. The risk of injury is just too great so close to the marathon.
    My fear of doing 'B' is that I'd get carried away & end up going faster than planned so I'm thinking 'C' is probably the better option for me.
    I probably started Cork to Cobh a bit too fast with the excitement of the race, but I soon slowed down and concentrated on holding a good PMP. I’m sure you can control yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1. If you tire yourself out with 7 miles immediately before the race then add 13 @ PMP it would be a super session.

As has been mentioned P&D has a rather tough taper, you can't be too wrecked heading into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

From reading your training I'd say you could easily do A,B or C. You seem to be quite fit but taking it back to basic, it is a rule of thumb that you don't race before a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just adding my two cents in (again!), doc you've stuck to the plan to date, I dont really see the point in doing the half at this stage just so you can collect another t-shirt. There is no way you'll be able to sit back in race conditions and therefore I think you should stick to the plan, forget about the half do your 20 and don't leave any lingering doubts when the going gets tough on d day.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    There is no way you'll be able to sit back in race conditions and therefore I think you should stick to the plan, forget about the half do your 20 and don't leave any lingering doubts when the going gets tough on d day.

Discipline my friend! ;) If he was looking to do PMP miles in that LSR anyway, then this is why I think the race is a good shout. As It would be much easier to do PMP miles in a race rather than on your own in an LSR.

Advertisement