Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Discipline my friend! ;) If he was looking to do PMP miles in that LSR anyway, then this is why I think the race is a good shout. As It would be much easier to do PMP miles in a race rather than on your own in an LSR.

Discipline?? Nah, not when you're not doing yourself justice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gavlor wrote: »
    Discipline?? Nah, not when you're not doing yourself justice!
    I have to say I disagree with this. One reason for racing is to try and get a PB certainly, but there are plenty of other reasons for racing. It’s a good chance to try out your marathon routine, wear the clothes you plan to wear, have the same brekkie etc. Then there is the chance to do some PMP miles in actual race conditions. Also, for someone who has done all their training on their own, it can be a nice change of scenery and a novelty to have others to run with. Personally speaking, when I did Cork to Cobh last year, it came at a time when I had run a couple of really tough LSR’s on my own and my confidence in my running was low. Doing the race instead of another solitary LSR not only gave me the confidence boost of get some PMP miles under my belt, but the change of scenery and the excitement of the race really revitalised my training.

I don’t think it’s about not doing yourself justice, especially when you know in your head that you’re saving all your juice for the big one in 3 weeks time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s about not doing yourself justice, especially when you know in your head that you’re saving all your juice for the big one in 3 weeks time :)

Totally agree there ncmc, not every race should be a goal race. E.g. there are tune up races in P&D with an eye on the bigger prize. Do other races, but save all your focus/ doing yourself justice for the goal race!

blockic wrote: »
    Totally agree there ncmc, not every race should be a goal race. E.g. there are tune up races in P&D with an eye on the bigger prize. Do other races, but save all your focus/ doing yourself justice for the goal race!

Has P&D become your answer to everything in life??!

Boss: "Johnny, we have a system outage in Chicago"

Blockic: "well, according to p&d this is a step back week so they won't need full system usage in that region till next weekends lsr"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

just to add to the debate....I ran a HM last Sunday at close to full tilt 2 weeks out from my main goal....4 days on I feel grand and looking back I think the HM was an excellent workout. I was originally going to run it at M pace but changed my mind as the race got closer. In fairness I wasn't due a 20 miler so may not be exactly comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

At the moment its the P&D 18 week up to 70 mile plan I'm following,

The weekend in question just calls for a 20 mile LSR & the following weekend a 10k race followed by a 17mile LSR the following day.
    Just been checking local races & there is a 10k race on the Sunday in Youghal,problem in that is the OH's weekend on in work but if she has a waking night the night before it may be possible to slot in the Youghal 10k.

I raced a 5 mile race the week before the Waterford Marathon last year & went out with the intention of running 8:30 pace,because it was a local race & with local support I ended up racing it(37:09),not too bad a thing but the following week at the Waterford Marathon I went out way toooooooooo fast,probably between being caught up in the occasion & cockiness of the race the week before which at the time was a new PB,in the end I was just not disciplined enough.

I surprised myself with the Dublin marathon in that I had a plan,had a pace & was determined to stick to it no matter what despite all the buzz from the occasion.

I suppose ,& this probably comes back to still being a novice,that Dublin is now so far gone, its like starting from scratch & building up the confidence to be disciplined in the approach & a faster pace for a marathon.

^^^^ have you seen that they have yet to finalise the course for this years Waterford marathon??

^^^^ have you seen that they have yet to finalise the course for this years Waterford marathon??

Yea, I've seen that, apparently Tramore not playing ball I heard.

Did you do it last year? There was a lot of talk before hand that is was a tough course but I have to say I found it ok,I just goosed up by going out too fast,other than that I enjoyed my debut marathon .

docjewel wrote: »
    Yea, I've seen that, apparently Tramore not playing ball I heard.

Did you do it last year? There was a lot of talk before hand that is was a tough course but I have to say I found it ok,I just goosed up by going out too fast,other than that I enjoyed my debut marathon .

Yeah, it was my first marathon. I did a lot of my longer runs on the route so I was fairly used to it. That detour on the ring road killed a lot of people, the last 2 miles were like something out of the walking dead!!

Talking to one of the organisers he maintains they are trying to avoid the drag at orchardstown en route to tramore in order to make the course faster

Has P&D become your answer to everything in life??!

Boss: "Johnny, we have a system outage in Chicago"

Blockic: "well, according to p&d this is a step back week so they won't need full system usage in that region till next weekends lsr"

:D ...ha, love it! purely an example. Wait until I say hello to Daniels! ;) ..

I'm on commission ya know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

In agreement with most above. I wouldn't race the half but maybe do it at PMP. Actually I wouldn't race a half in the 5 -6 weeks coming up to a marathon. I personally need the guts of a week to recover from a half.

The discipline side of things can be a good one actually. 2 years ago I ran a 10k at MP having ran 13 beforehand at a decent clip. With 3k to go I was in the top 5 and probably could have managed a top 3 finish but when the lads increased the pace I just let them go and was passed by a few more so finished outside the top 10. Was pissed for about 5 minutes but 2 weeks later none of that mattered :)

Yeah, it was my first marathon. I did a lot of my longer runs on the route so I was fairly used to it. That detour on the ring road killed a lot of people, the last 2 miles were like something out of the walking dead!!

Talking to one of the organisers he maintains they are trying to avoid the drag at orchardstown en route to tramore in order to make the course faster

I remember that detour pretty well,thankfully had seen it on the maps before hand but it was still gut wrenching to have to do it,still it the experience made heartbreak hill in DCM a lot easier to navigate.

Hope the organisers can sort out the route as a few runners I spoke to after on the day said it was good for a change not to be running completely in a city & was nice to experience the countryside for a change.

Double Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm falling asleep today... Feel like I need a run to wake me up! But it's a rest day for me and that's all good too. I nearly feel guilty on rest days now! Eating rings around me.. Big brekkie,.. Big lunch.. Snacks... Holidays next Friday for 6 days with the family. I think ill get a black eye if I try stick to the p&d plan while away...so a bit of a rest week won't hurt, a few miles when I can fit them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Quick update from this end. Zero running for the week so far. Still recovering from injury. Had physio and trigger point needling. Got the thumbs up to run tomorrow. Hopefully it goes ok. My next 2 hm sessions will have to be on the money to get back in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

13.44miles this afternoon @ 7.22min/miles, felt strong the whole way through this. Its close to my hoped MP so only another 12 or so miles and i'm laughing, this marathon lark is easy:eek::eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    13.44miles this afternoon @ 7.22min/miles, felt strong the whole way through this. Its close to my hoped MP so only another 12 or so miles and i'm laughing, this marathon lark is easy:eek::eek:.
    Nice one....I think you'll have to be revising your MP downwards ;):D

Nice one....I think you'll have to be revising your MP downwards ;):D

Getting to the start line healthy this year is the main goal, dont want to be counting any chickens yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Good luck to all racing tomorrow or over weekend, hopefully get to meet Runchick n murphd77 tomorrow at omagh half!

Getting to the start line healthy this year is the main goal, dont want to be counting any chickens yet.

+1, get to the start line first. Then revise your time down on race morning! ;)

• Advertisement

Good luck to all running the HM in Omagh tomorrow and to everyone doing the 5m in Meath on Sunday. Go Big!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

upthe19th wrote: »
    Quick update from this end. Zero running for the week so far. Still recovering from injury. Had physio and trigger point needling. Got the thumbs up to run tomorrow. Hopefully it goes ok. My next 2 hm sessions will have to be on the money to get back in gear.

Same here. Injured hamstring on Wednesday night at race, think I'll be out of action now for about a week:(

Good luck getting back in the saddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

RedRunner wrote: »
    Same here. Injured hamstring on Wednesday night at race, think I'll be out of action now for about a week:(

Good luck getting back in the saddle!

Same to you. Mine was hamstring related as well. Mind it. Its a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

It feels great to actually have a race under my belt, first since DCM :) I went to Omagh today hoping to manage the 13.1 miles at an 8.30 pace, but not overly confident I could pull it off...so was pleasantly surprised with the result...I was hoping for something around 1.50 but managed chip time of 1.47.34:D That's a 15 minute PB so not a bad day out :D

Splits were 8.20, 8.21, 8.07, 8.11, 7.51, 8.00, 8.00, 8.18, 8.03, 8.18, 8.01, 8.41, 8.25, (8.00). Last 2 miles were tough - I really felt I had given everything by that stage. But the first 6 miles were, dare I say, easy. It was around here I had the pleasure of meeting Murph77 and had his company for the next 4 or 5 miles - we had a brief chat and I fell in behind and let him pace me for a bit - cheers Murph :P. Things got tough around 11 miles and I let Murph get ahead while I concentrated on keeping one foot in front of the other! It was a relief to find a nice downhill section close to the end which was a godsend and allowed me to dig in and finish the job.

Delighted with the result and more confident now to follow the 4 hr pacers in Limerick. Before today I wasn't overly bothered about racing. I was happy plodding through the training but racing is such a buzz...I need to get me some more of that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done Runchick that's a brilliant time. You're well set up for Limerick now :D

Excellent result Runchick,that should be a brilliant boost of cconfidence for you.
    Limerick will be no bother to you now.:-)

Great running Runchick, 15min PB is great improvement. 4hrs will be no bother to you after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running Runchick, 15min PB is great improvement. 4hrs will be no bother to you after that.

+1 to that. Super running .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done RunChick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great running Runchick! A sub 4 should be no bother to you with that HM time.

Advertisement