Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done Runchick, n sorry didn't get to meet either of u! :(
    Very congested at start and took wee while to get a good pacing going! I went hoping for 1.45 but was delighted n over moon with 1.40.58! Splits were 7.53, 7.43, 7.34, 7.44, 7.41, 7.40, 7.44, 7.39, 7.38, 7.46, 7.20, 7.49, 7.24 n 0.2m @ 7.01! Resulting in a 6 min PB from last September .
    Really enjoyed it , took 2x gels, 1 at 4.5m and 1 at 9! Last 400m seemed go on forever though! We were blessed with weather too! Was hard deciding what to wear but went with long sleeves n was happy as was windy in places n v cold at start line .

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Fair play New runner, a good 4 minutes under your target time is nice,good have have the last mile as one of the fastest too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Super run New Runner! Me thinks you'll be needing to revise that Derry target downwards after today's result!

Thanks folks delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    It feels great to actually have a race under my belt, first since DCM :) I went to Omagh today hoping to manage the 13.1 miles at an 8.30 pace, but not overly confident I could pull it off...so was pleasantly surprised with the result...I was hoping for something around 1.50 but managed chip time of 1.47.34:D That's a 15 minute PB so not a bad day out :D

Great performance runchick. Sub 4 is definitely on. Hopefully we cross paths in limerick!
    New runner wrote: »
    Very congested at start and took wee while to get a good pacing going! I went hoping for 1.45 but was delighted n over moon with 1.40.58!

Well Done new runner, next up sub 1.40!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

New runner wrote: »
    Very congested at start and took wee while to get a good pacing going! I went hoping for 1.45 but was delighted n over moon with 1.40.58! Splits were 7.53, 7.43, 7.34, 7.44, 7.41, 7.40, 7.44, 7.39, 7.38, 7.46, 7.20, 7.49, 7.24 n 0.2m @ 7.01! Resulting in a 6 min PB from last September .
    Really enjoyed it , took 2x gels, 1 at 4.5m and 1 at 9! Last 400m seemed go on forever though! We were blessed with weather too! Was hard deciding what to wear but went with long sleeves n was happy as was windy in places n v cold at start line .

Fantastic new runner, that's a great PB:-) I looked out for you but it was crazy there today...well done :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Didn't have the ideal race-day build-up with traffic congestion and parking difficulties but my OH (who was doing the 5k) and I finally got to the line with about 5 minutes to spare - possibly just as well as it was a cold morning in Omagh. Congested start meant a slow first kilometer through town but by the time the two races diverged things had spread out a bit so managed to get the time back and settle in to planned 5:07/k (8:11/m) pace with 1:50 in mind.

As this was my first HM didn't have a lot to go on but had calculated the pace via McMillan based on a recent 10-mile race in Bundoran (rounding up the suggested 1:47 odd to 1:50 due to my conservative nature :D).

I must say despite a few difficult training runs lately I had little difficulty with this pace over the opening 5 miles or so through the town centre and out into the rolling drumlins and narrow boreens surrounding the town. After a few miles I spotted a boards.ie shirt up ahead and guessed it would be runchick based on the pace, which was exactly the same as mine. In fact the pace was so similar that it was another couple of miles before I caught up and introduced myself. Having said hello and exchanged a few words I immediately got quite a bad stitch and had to drop back for another while (been getting a good few stitches lately, unlike last year.) So during this difficult patch I let runchick make the pace and just managed to hang on. Runchick looked very comfortable, good form and economical style, obviously P&D having a good effect.

Having gotten over the stitch I caught up around the half-way mark and took over the pacing duties for a couple of miles. Haven't examined the garmin data yet but by the ten-mile mark I think we were close to 2 minutes ahead of target and I was feeling strong so I pushed on after another mile or so.

At this stage I was in the welcome position of moving up through the field, unusual enough for me. When we got out of the narrower roads there was a welcome downhill stretch back to the start area but the sting in the tail was an uphill finish for the last couple of hundred metres. Spotted Mrs. Murph on finishing corner so managed a high five before the final push to the line. Crossed in 1:46:25 and waited a very short while to welcome runchick over the line before setting off to find the missus. We had a quick cup of tea and sandwich in the school - well done organisers, great spread and great welcome. Then headed off to complete the journey to Donegal.

Hugely enjoyable race - lots of stewards who did a good job directing the race through quite a complicated course (I'd never be able to replicate the run on memory alone!). Omagh is a traffic-congested town so the finish looked a bit dodgy for some of the later finishers but was pretty good for those of us who managed to stay under two hours.

Was delighted to meet runchick and share the pacing duties for a few miles. Sorry not to bump into new runner but obviously from her time she was just too far up the road! Well done to you both.

My first half-marathon - very happy with the result and with the progress so far this year with good old Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 ;).

Goal: 1:50:00
    Time: 1:46:25

Well done murphd77, that was brill 1st half marathon, u must b delighted ! Sorry didn't get to meet u n Runchick . Have lovely easter now n enjoy ur stay in Donegal . Well done again!

Great race report murphd77, you described the course really well...tea and sandwiches, dam I missed that..I thought the mars bar was the height of it :eek: Mind you by that stage my poor OH and kids were freezing and couldn't wait to get in the car for home so probably wise move to head on.
    I didn't realise that was your first half, you must be chuffed to bits with your time :)

5 slow recovery miles this morning and the legs feel surprisingly fresh...came home to find the kids having Easter eggs for breakfast :eek: Ah well I thought, I could be sensible mummy and curb the fun or I could join them...needless to say I now have a mouthful of chocolate :D I'm sure that's not in P&D :pac: Happy Easter folks :)

• Advertisement

Had my first run abandonment this morning. :( Absolutely torrential rain and wind here in Cork! Might hold off until later this afternoon or tomorrow. Lucky we have the bank holiday!!

I'd only get a cold if I went out this morning. Well that's what I'm telling myself anyway!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Had my first run abandonment this morning. :( Absolutely torrential rain and wind here in Cork! Might hold off until later this afternoon or tomorrow. Lucky we have the bank holiday!!

I'd only get a cold if I went out this morning. Well that's what I'm telling myself anyway!:)

Blouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great racing everyone, enjoying the reports. Things have taken a turn for the worst for me this week. Man flued up to my eyeballs. Only got runs in Tuesday and Wednesday and they were a bad bad idea! I dragged myself out for a planned 16m LSR yesterday out of pure guilt and frustration but called it off at 12, never had to do that before. I dont think I have ever been so exhausted as I was after that run. Im not doing anything now until Tuesday in the hope it clears off but its knocked the living sh!t out of me.

Im a complete blouse I know!!! HTFU!

flu_1401637c.jpg

Great racing everyone, enjoying the reports. Things have taken a turn for the worst for me this week. Man flued up to my eyeballs. Only got runs in Tuesday and Wednesday and they were a bad bad idea! I dragged myself out for a planned 16m LSR yesterday out of pure guilt and frustration but called it off at 12, never had to do that before. I dont think I have ever been so exhausted as I was after that run. Im not doing anything now until Tuesday in the hope it clears off but its knocked the living sh!t out of me.

flu_1401637c.jpg

Take it easy overpronator, I had a similar thing which took a good 10 days to shift. As frustrating as it is the worst thing I did was trying to run again too soon. Once I resigned myself to enforced rest and got over it I waited until I felt recovered and went back to full mileage right away. After a few tough sessions I was back on track, so relax and enjoy the rest (I know that's easy for me to say and not so easy for you to do) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

1st 20m done. Wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gavlor wrote: »
    Blouse

+1 :) You'll be glad to know I was out there taking one for the P&D team... I guess we ladies are made of stronger stuff ;)

Aw hope u feel better soon! U do right to take it easy to u well again! U can't run feeling like that!

flu_1401637c.jpg
    Aw hope u feel better soon, relax n take it easy until u feel much better, u can't run feeling like that, u wud prob only delay recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Hi all, it's been a while since I've logged in. Congrats on Omagh Runchick, looks like I've lost my partner for Limerick!

Weather in Cork has been pretty crap over the last few days and I haven't got out at all since Tuesday. Feeling pretty bad about it as the hills around here have taken over my mind and I really could have got out if I really wanted to. There's a local 10k on tomorrow so I may do that or if I'm brave I'll get off my arse and do today's planned 20m.

Well done everyone on the race reports, it's great to see the progression. I may even be looking forward to starting P&D after Limerick!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Blouse

Thanks for that! LSR done. :)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks for that! LSR done. :)

Waddya want?? A medal?!
    Ncmc beat you, she's top dog tonight ;)

Fair play tho, bet you're delighted to have it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fr Murphy 5 mile Road Race 31.3.2013 @ 12pm.

I had never ran a 5 mile race before today so a PB was a cert, got to Kildalkey at about 11am to register, in picked my number up and tshirt and back to the car it was that easy. The start line was a a mile from the village so headed off at half 11 leaving my cheerleaders Mrs tang1 and tang1 junior behind. Nice 1.5 mile warmup with few strides and lined up waiting to start. As i was waiting around beeduybe came over to say hello we had a few words about this and that and fell in line waiting to start(nice to meet you beeduybe). Had 32 mins in my head as a goal time, gun went and off we went first mile was flat and passed by in 6.23, start of the second mile there was the only real climb on the course and a good bit of downhill after that this mile was 6.18.

Now for the next half mile i just wanted to walk off the race, i have never felt like this before as i love racing, my mind kept saying "quit,quit,quit". Genuinely was going to stop then thought of my little man at the finish and snapped out of it, put the head down for next half mile and went through it at 6.23. At this stage i was in a group of 5-6 runners and we were pulling each other along, mile 4 was only mile into the wind and was my slowest at 6.29. Turned back onto to the main road for last mile into Kildalkey village, the group started to break up here, i put the boot down for last half mile, wanted to empty the tank. Last mile was 6.13 and my fastest, crossed the line in chip time of 31.43.

Very happy with that considering i wanted to give up for first time ever, beeduybe came in just over 32mins and introduced me to digger when he got his breath back. digger was there cheering on claralara who was pi$$ed off with her time i think. Boston is the bigger picture in two weeks for ye, best of luck lads. Got a big sloppy kiss off tang1 junior that made the 5 miles of pain SOOO worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Well done both murphd77 & tang1 in ye're race reports.Sounds like Ye both had enjoyable races at the weekend.

Can't really beat having the kids at the finish,its one of those moments you cherish:-)

docjewel wrote: »
    Well done both murphd77 & tang1 in ye're race reports.Sounds like Ye both had enjoyable races at the weekend.

Can't really beat having the kids at the finish,its one of those moments you cherish:-)

+1 to all of the above

Good work all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great race tang congrats. And to all who raced over the weekend! Great performances

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Great running everyone and great reports.

Congrats to all who raced over wend. Enjoyed the reports. Bad news...have to have an operation on Tuesday and no running for four weeks on doctors orders. :'( Good news....weighed myself today and now exactly two stone lost since Christmas :) really feel the difference running with the loss of weight. Still another stone to lose but it is coming off steadily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

dechol wrote: »
    Bad news...have to have an operation on Tuesday and no running cycling swimming etc for four weeks on doctors orders. :'( Good news....weighed myself today and now exactly two stone lost since Christmas :) really feel the difference running with the loss of weight. Still another stone to lose but it is coming off steadily. Can only walk in next few weeks after surgery so hopefully can keep fitness up with just walking.

Jaysus bad luck, tell me to mind my business but operation for what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

tang1 wrote: »
    Fr Murphy 5 mile Road Race 31.3.2013 @ 12pm.

I had never ran a 5 mile race before today so a PB was a cert, got to Kildalkey at about 11am to register, in picked my number up and tshirt and back to the car it was that easy. The start line was a a mile from the village so headed off at half 11 leaving my cheerleaders Mrs tang1 and tang1 junior behind. Nice 1.5 mile warmup with few strides and lined up waiting to start. As i was waiting around beeduybe came over to say hello we had a few words about this and that and fell in line waiting to start(nice to meet you beeduybe). Had 32 mins in my head as a goal time, gun went and off we went first mile was flat and passed by in 6.23, start of the second mile there was the only real climb on the course and a good bit of downhill after that this mile was 6.18.

Now for the next half mile i just wanted to walk off the race, i have never felt like this before as i love racing, my mind kept saying "quit,quit,quit". Genuinely was going to stop then thought of my little man at the finish and snapped out of it, put the head down for next half mile and went through it at 6.23. At this stage i was in a group of 5-6 runners and we were pulling each other along, mile 4 was only mile into the wind and was my slowest at 6.29. Turned back onto to the main road for last mile into Kildalkey village, the group started to break up here, i put the boot down for last half mile, wanted to empty the tank. Last mile was 6.13 and my fastest, crossed the line in chip time of 31.43.

Very happy with that considering i wanted to give up for first time ever, beeduybe came in just over 32mins and introduced me to digger when he got his breath back. digger was there cheering on claralara who was pi$$ed off with her time i think. Boston is the bigger picture in two weeks for ye, best of luck lads. Got a big sloppy kiss off tang1 junior that made the 5 miles of pain SOOO worth it.

Great racing, sounds like a nice course - hate those negative thoughts, well done for ignoring them. Thats a super time to run!

Love the bit about Tang jnr - lovely!!

And you are faster than 'Auld Man King' over 5 miles - must correct that!!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus bad luck, tell me to mind my business but operation for what??

Jesus You are very nosey!!;)

Advertisement