Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

tang1 wrote: »
    Fr Murphy 5 mile Road Race 31.3.2013 @ 12pm.

crossed the line in chip time of 31.43.

Wow - great run tang1. Blistering pace and serious HTFU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great racing, sounds like a nice course - hate those negative thoughts, well done for ignoring them. Thats a super time to run!

Love the bit about Tang jnr - lovely!!

And you are faster than 'Auld Man King' over 5 miles - must correct that!!

Cheers, i'm sure you'll more than correct it when you race a 5 mile:D. Its a quick course alright. Enjoy the break with the fambily.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Great running and reports. Dechol, speedy recovery.

I had a week of feeling ****e with fatigue and the start of a chesty cough so only got out runnung today as I didn't want to make matters any worse. Nearly fully better now.

The run was a breezy 11 miles from Raheny up around the cliffs by Sutton and Howth. It's a brilliant trail to run with crashing waves on the cliffs below, there's a good bit of up and down rough steps on the track but it's a lovely break from being on the road. 600 odd feet of ascent before reaching the summit too...I'd highly recommend taking a spin out for a fun run if you have a chance.

The guy I was running with is doing Paris too. It was our first time meeting but I may now have a pace buddy as we have similar aims. Yay.

Race costs

One thing I forgot to mention about the Omagh Half Marathon - seriously good value at about 23 euro. It costs that to take part in some 5k/10k events in Dublin these days, with some Halfs costing north of 50. And this low entry fee included tech t-shirt (not the greatest, but still), finish line refreshments and a proper lunch (sandwiches, tea/coffee, scones, biscuits, cakes).

Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done racers. Great results to top up the hunger. The work is paying off.

• Advertisement

dechol wrote: »
    Jesus You are very nosey!!

Sorry to hear about that, dechol, best of luck with the procedure and speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

murphd77 wrote: »
    Race costs

One thing I forgot to mention about the Omagh Half Marathon - seriously good value at about 23 euro. It costs that to take part in some 5k/10k events in Dublin these days, with some Halfs costing north of 50. And this low entry fee included tech t-shirt (not the greatest, but still), finish line refreshments and a proper lunch (sandwiches, tea/coffee, scones, biscuits, cakes).

Well done to all concerned.

The 5 mile today was 12 euro, tech tshirt and big spread of sandwiches and cake after. Serious value when you consider murph's comments about races. Most races in the Meath Road Race League offer the same value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The 5 mile today was 12 euro, tech tshirt and big spread of sandwiches and cake after. Serious value when you consider murph's comments about races. Most races in the Meath Road Race League offer the same value.

Yes, there are lots of great value races around. Avoid the likes of R&R half, samsung night run, GIR etc :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I had never ran a 5 mile race before today so a PB was a cert, got to Kildalkey at about 11am to register, in picked my number up and tshirt and back to the car it was that easy. The start line was a a mile from the village so headed off at half 11 leaving my cheerleaders Mrs tang1 and tang1 junior behind. Nice 1.5 mile warmup with few strides and lined up waiting to start. As i was waiting around beeduybe came over to say hello we had a few words about this and that and fell in line waiting to start(nice to meet you beeduybe). Had 32 mins in my head as a goal time, gun went and off we went first mile was flat and passed by in 6.23, start of the second mile there was the only real climb on the course and a good bit of downhill after that this mile was 6.18.

Now for the next half mile i just wanted to walk off the race, i have never felt like this before as i love racing, my mind kept saying "quit,quit,quit". Genuinely was going to stop then thought of my little man at the finish and snapped out of it, put the head down for next half mile and went through it at 6.23. At this stage i was in a group of 5-6 runners and we were pulling each other along, mile 4 was only mile into the wind and was my slowest at 6.29. Turned back onto to the main road for last mile into Kildalkey village, the group started to break up here, i put the boot down for last half mile, wanted to empty the tank. Last mile was 6.13 and my fastest, crossed the line in chip time of 31.43.

Very happy with that considering i wanted to give up for first time ever, beeduybe came in just over 32mins and introduced me to digger when he got his breath back. digger was there cheering on claralara who was pi$$ed off with her time i think. Boston is the bigger picture in two weeks for ye, best of luck lads. Got a big sloppy kiss off tang1 junior that made the 5 miles of pain SOOO worth it.

Great mental strength there if you were feeling that bad that early on and great time Tang

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great mental strength there if you were feeling that bad that early on and great time Tang

+1 if you give in to those negative voices in your head during a race and ease up you will almost certainly regret it afterwards. Well done on the time again. You looked to be running strongly throughout from what I could see from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

murphd77 wrote: »
    Wow - great run tang1. Blistering pace and serious HTFU!

+1 Well done B :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Congrats to all who raced over wend. Enjoyed the reports. Bad news...have to have an operation on Tuesday and no running for four weeks on doctors orders. :'( Good news....weighed myself today and now exactly two stone lost since Christmas :) really feel the difference running with the loss of weight. Still
    another stone to lose but it is coming off steadily.

Sorry to hear about your op and no running, hope it's nothing serious and you're back fighting fit soon. But wow on 2 stone weight loss since Christmas that's brilliant. well done on that

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yes, there are lots of great value races around. Avoid the likes of R&R half, samsung night run, GIR etc :mad:

Ooops...I'm registered for both GIR and Samsung Run....A fool and his moneya re easily parted as they say:)

I find the BHAA events great too for €10. No goody bags but well marshalled races and good spread afterwards always.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Ooops...I'm registered for both GIR and Samsung Run....A fool and his moneya re easily parted as they say:)

I find the BHAA events great too for €10. No goody bags but well marshalled races and good spread afterwards always.

excuse the ignorance but what are the BHAA races? are they open to everyone?...love races but getting sick of the cost of them.

excuse the ignorance but what are the BHAA races? are they open to everyone?...love races but getting sick of the cost of them.

BUsiness House Athletics Association : www.bhaa.ie

www.corkbhaa.com

Organisations based in Cork and Dublin as far as I know. Open to everyone. You can register for year for €15 and each race is then only a tenner or you can just show up on the day and pay €15. You can race as an individual or as a company member. Totally recommend it if the location suits.

There's a four mile race this coming saturday in St Annes in Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm gonna head out for my first Vo2 session today.
    Never did a 5k race or ran at this pace before.
    Should I try do it on grass?
    Is 7:00 pace fast enough or should I just push as hard as I can? All advise welcome thanks.
    It's 5x800m
    How long should the rest be in between? 5 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Is 7:00 pace fast enough or should I just push as hard as I can? All advise welcome thanks.
    It's 5x800m

You should do them at 5k pace or just a bit faster.
    If you don't know what that is, plug in a recent race result into the mcmillan calculator and it will tell you an equivalent 5k time/pace.
    Recovery for those reps should be a minute or two. 5 minutes is way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's 5x800m

Stephen, running king posted a link to vo2 training on my log on Friday as I was the same as you, no idea how to run one. I'm on the phone so can't link it but worth a quick read if you have time. Apparently just below full tilt is the way to go. I do mine on grass as its easier on the legs.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Stephen, running king posted a link to vo2 training on my log on Friday as I was the same as you, no idea how to run one. I'm on the phone so can't link it but worth a quick read if you have time. Apparently just below full tilt is the way to go. I do mine on grass as its easier on the legs.
    Perfect gavlor! Thanks a lot. Ill read that link when the nipper goes for her nap!

menoscemo wrote: »
    You should do them at 5k pace or just a bit faster.
    If you don't know what that is, plug in a recent race result into the mcmillan calculator and it will tell you an equivalent 5k time/pace.
    Recovery for those reps should be a minute or two. 5 minutes is way too much.

Thanks! A minute or two! So this is gonna be tough enough. I'm a bit groggy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Perfect gavlor! Thanks a lot. Ill read that link when the nipper goes for her nap!

You'll possibly need a nap after reading it!!

It's a tough session, be prepared to suffer, but it's a quick death ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    You'll possibly need a nap after reading it!!

It's a tough session, be prepared to suffer, but it's a quick death ;)

Great link I had a good read there. I will go about 6:55 pace. Will report back this eve! Have to get my garmin manual out to try set it up and take away the mid run maths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck with it Stephen, I'm leaving mine til later in the week when hopefully it's not as windy. I think I'm going to try and do mine on a track. At least that way it's two laps and you can just concentrate on speed rather than worrying about distance too. P&D say recovery should be 50% of the VO2 time, so I plan to run mine at 7 min pace and take about 3 mins recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Good luck Stephen , they def hurt, but u will reap the benefits! N u feel proud as punch after 😊!
    Hi does anyone know if week 14 tracking page is loaded or am I doing something wrong? Sorry not the most technical😱

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

BUsiness House Athletics Association : www.bhaa.ie

www.corkbhaa.com

Organisations based in Cork and Dublin as far as I know. Open to everyone. You can register for year for €15 and each race is then only a tenner or you can just show up on the day and pay €15. You can race as an individual or as a company member. Totally recommend it if the location suits.

There's a four mile race this coming saturday in St Annes in Raheny.
    thanks for that.will definitely give these a go in the future.

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck with it Stephen, I'm leaving mine til later in the week when hopefully it's not as windy. I think I'm going to try and do mine on a track. At least that way it's two laps and you can just concentrate on speed rather than worrying about distance too. P&D say recovery should be 50% of the VO2 time, so I plan to run mine at 7 min pace and take about 3 mins recovery.

Thanks. Well it's done. I put the times in my log there.
    Definitely a very different kind of session to the others.
    A track is a great idea, I might try that for next time as the football pitches I used today were in bits.
    My pace wasn't consistent so I need to work on this for next time. Good luck with yours! It does feel great once it's done. Id say doing this regularly would do wonders for the shorter races.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

After nearly a week of laziness and overindulgence I was facing into my first ever (non injury forced) week of no running. I discover that there was a 10k planned this morning by the local running club.

Arrived at 10.30 for an 11am start and right from the warm up the mind wasn't in the right place, little aches & pains felt magnified by 100 but I put that down to trifle & chocolate jumbling around in the belly.

Started, planned pace was 8.45; nothing too stressful and mindful of the wind and hills ahead of us. Round the first corner and straight into a headwind, then at 1km we faced into a hill that would test Tour de France cyclists (possibly an exaggeration!), that was me bunched!

Legs felt heavy, shins and calves tightened up & generally feeling sorry for myself but still on pace just about for mile 1 through 3. I do tend to take a couple of miles to warm into a race so kept going.

I felt better as time went on but wind & hills were putting my time under threat and basically I was looking to just finish strongly. At one stage I had to encourage myself by reminding myself that if I could run a marathon I could finish a 10k! This was the first time in any race i've done that I've noticed that I was the only visible person on stretches of road, quite a lonely experience when feeling a bit down!

Finished, glad I dragged my sorry, lazy, easter egg shaped ass down to the startline but need to sort my head out with 5 weeks to Limerick. Nothing but 100% concentration will be good enough.

Mile splits
    8.40, 8.51, 9.23, 9.04, 9.22, 8.25, (2.18)

Avg pace: 8.57
    Avg HR: 167

Finished with a downhill section! Lots of nice people, thanks to the freezing marshals on windy exposed hills and corners, the cheery lads at the 5k water station & thanks to everyone that came over to say hello and a nice cup of tea, orange & yoghurt at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done Killian - your HR indicates that you were trying pretty hard so irrespective of your finish time you can be proud that you ground it out on a day when it'd have been easier to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Headed to a local 10k fun run this morning.
    Ran from home to the race & using a few side roads had a 4 mile warm up at 8:11 pace,probably a bit too fast for the distance but it was quite cold so a matter of keeping moving to stay warm.

My first time ever doing a 10K(although the course was a bit short it didn't really matter as it was a fun run & the proceeds going towards Crumlin)

I had no real plan in mind for this one, just to go out & see how it'd go,especially after a big mileage week last week.
    Report from Garmin said course was 5.97miles,time 44min 01secs with the splits as follows,

1. 6:51
    2. 7:06
    3. 7:34
    4. 7:21
    5. 7:44
    6. 7:25
    Avg pace 7:22

It was a 2 loop course with the wind completely against us for last mile or so of both loops.After the first mile or so & after we had passed out the walkers I found myself in a bit of no mans land,too far behind the group ahead & too far ahead of the group behind so most of the race I ran on my own so pretty pleased overall with the mornings work.
    A nice gentle run home of 2miles afterwards just to cool down

Felt good to get another run at pace under the belt especially taking into consideration that awful breeze that we had to face twice.

Looking forward to hopefully slotting in a few more 5 mile races over the next few months as they are definitely easier than running on your own.

I see the local athletics club have launched their 10 race summer series with most races costing just €5 this year(down from €8),really good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I had never ran a 5 mile race before today so a PB was a cert, got to Kildalkey at about 11am to register, in picked my number up and tshirt and back to the car it was that easy. The start line was a a mile from the village so headed off at half 11 leaving my cheerleaders Mrs tang1 and tang1 junior behind. Nice 1.5 mile warmup with few strides and lined up waiting to start. As i was waiting around beeduybe came over to say hello we had a few words about this and that and fell in line waiting to start(nice to meet you beeduybe). Had 32 mins in my head as a goal time, gun went and off we went first mile was flat and passed by in 6.23, start of the second mile there was the only real climb on the course and a good bit of downhill after that this mile was 6.18.

Now for the next half mile i just wanted to walk off the race, i have never felt like this before as i love racing, my mind kept saying "quit,quit,quit". Genuinely was going to stop then thought of my little man at the finish and snapped out of it, put the head down for next half mile and went through it at 6.23. At this stage i was in a group of 5-6 runners and we were pulling each other along, mile 4 was only mile into the wind and was my slowest at 6.29. Turned back onto to the main road for last mile into Kildalkey village, the group started to break up here, i put the boot down for last half mile, wanted to empty the tank. Last mile was 6.13 and my fastest, crossed the line in chip time of 31.43.

Very happy with that considering i wanted to give up for first time ever, beeduybe came in just over 32mins and introduced me to digger when he got his breath back. digger was there cheering on claralara who was pi$$ed off with her time i think. Boston is the bigger picture in two weeks for ye, best of luck lads. Got a big sloppy kiss off tang1 junior that made the 5 miles of pain SOOO worth it.

Just catching up the last couple of days. Great race tang! Loved the finish. You'll be under 30 before ya know it. (minutes not age wink.pngbiggrin.png)

Advertisement