Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    . P&D say recovery should be 50% of the VO2 time, so I plan to run mine at 7 min pace and take about 3 mins recovery.

If you run at 7 min pace you will likely have an 800 done in 3:30...so a 3min recovery is probably a bit much, You'l know yourself when you do it anyway but i'd say after 2mins you will be ready to go again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »
    Just catching up the last couple of days. Great race tang! Loved the finish. You'll be under 30 before ya know it. (minutes not age wink.pngbiggrin.png)

Cheers J, its the only way i'll ever feel 30 again i'm afraid if i run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

D'oh! Maths not my strong point!

I did mean 90 seconds - 2 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

blockic wrote: »
    If you run at 7 min pace you will likely have an 800 done in 3:30...so a 3min recovery is probably a bit much, You'l know yourself when you do it anyway but i'd say after 2mins you will be ready to go again!

I'm a pleb. This point confused me just now! Cos I ran .8 of a mile intervals and not 800m!! Ah the booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

tang1 wrote: »
    Cheers J, its the only way i'll ever feel 30 again i'm afraid if i run it.

The years don't be long rolling in...won't be long before Blockic is mature and full of full of wisdom ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ah come on now - it'll be a while yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sorry for the late sheet update folks. Totally lost track of what day of the week it was :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I'm a pleb. This point confused me just now! Cos I ran .8 of a mile intervals and not 800m!! Ah the booze

I'm confused, aren't the first few P&D V02 sessions 600m intervals with a 90 sec jog between? Or am I following the easy version :P

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm confused, aren't the first few P&D V02 sessions 600m intervals with a 90 sec jog between? Or am I following the easy version :P

I'll have to check. Are you following 18/55 plan? I'm nearly sure the first VO2 sessions are 800m x 5. But worth double checking.

I'll have to check. Are you following 18/55 plan? I'm nearly sure the first VO2 sessions are 800m x 5. But worth double checking.

Yeah I'm following 18/55, mind you I have an old version of the book so maybe its been revised since then? Would be interesting to compare if it has...

• Advertisement

Just re-checked my book Runchick, this week (week 10) is the first VO2 session and it’s definitely 5x800m, but in the description of VO2, they do say they start at 600m, so maybe there was a change in a later edition of the book. My edition is 2009.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, the book does say that the VO2 max sessions are less beneficial for marathon distance than they would be for shorter distances, so I don’t think it’s a big deal that your distances were a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well done everyone on some serious race results and training. It's a real motivator to see the progress and hard work your all making!
    I'm delighted to say that after my post DCM injuries I'm back running pain free the last six weeks. Have to admit I dodged this forum when I wasn't running cause I was so frustrated. Unlike most here I've no marathon coming up (had to pull out of Paris due to the injury) but I'm aiming to smash some of my shorter distance PBs over the next few months. I may just dust off my P & D book and start learning some of this lingo VO2 max etc???:confused::confused:
    Oh and I did see some of ye were losing a bit of motivation lately which of course is only natural ( I'm in the honeymoon period with running again :D ). Something I read in Gerry Duffys book was that everyday he goes to run he says be thankful that you have the health / are able to run . Thats one to remember :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Hi just wondering if any of u interested in taking part in the Inishowen half marathon on 21st April , nice scenic route n really good value!
    http://www.inishowenac.com/

Just re-checked my book Runchick, this week (week 10) is the first VO2 session and it’s definitely 5x800m, but in the description of VO2, they do say they start at 600m, so maybe there was a change in a later edition of the book. My edition is 2009.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, the book does say that the VO2 max sessions are less beneficial for marathon distance than they would be for shorter distances, so I don’t think it’s a big deal that your distances were a bit short.

Thanks ncmc, think I'll stick to my 'slacker' 2001 copy ;)

New runner wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if any of u interested in taking part in the Inishowen half marathon on 21st April , nice scenic route n really good value!

You doing another half new runner? I've signed up for a 10k on 21st, really looking forward to it after the buzz from Omagh on Saturday :D

That is really good value. I'm still sore about the Wexford HM being €40 and that's not including a 7% booking fee :mad::mad::mad:

You doing another half new runner? I've signed up for a 10k on 21st, really looking forward to it after the buzz from Omagh on Saturday :D

No unfortunately I'm away that weekend, arranged n booked about 6 mths ago , really disappointed missing it as nearly all our club members will b doing it n it's the club's 1st half marathon.
    Good luck on ur 10k! The atmosphere was lovely in omagh must say. Racing def gives u that buzz , it's great! I hoping to do couple of 5k n 10ks over next couple months too but hard to get the long runs n training in too. I doing a charity 5k in ballyfofey this Saturday too so planning do my long run on Thursday n not going to race the 5k too much as it not a goal run. I find the 5ks n 10ks so hard, much harder than the longer runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

No unfortunately I'm away that weekend, arranged n booked about 6 mths ago , really disappointed missing it as nearly all our club members will b doing it n it's the club's 1st half marathon.
    Good luck on ur 10k! The atmosphere was lovely in omagh must say. Racing def gives u that buzz , it's great! I hoping to do couple of 5k n 10ks over next couple months too but hard to get the long runs n training in too. I doing a charity 5k in ballyfofey this Saturday too so planning do my long run on Thursday n not going to race the 5k too much as it not a goal run. I find the 5ks n 10ks so hard, much harder than the longer runs!

Hey New Runner, is there one on in Ballybofey on Saturday? Just got an email earlier saying there is one on Sunday for Donegal Youth Services.

I know what you mean, its tricky to fit everything in. I'll have to juggle things about to fit in this 10k as its a Sunday so will interfere with the long run but I am definitely a convert to racing, makes all the training worthwhile :) Best of luck with the 5k on Saturday - let us know if you manage to hold back ;)

I know what you mean, its tricky to fit everything in. I'll have to juggle things about to fit in this 10k as its a Sunday so will interfere with the long run but I am definitely a convert to racing, makes all the training worthwhile :) Best of luck with the 5k on Saturday - let us know if you manage to hold back ;)
    I reckon ill have no bother holding back, my tired legs will leave me no option! Lol! Really want to 21.59 this year for a 5k n hope to do it over the summer , after the marathon ! Def won't b this weekend, or anytime time soon! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Hey New Runner, is there one on in Ballybofey on Saturday? Just got an email earlier saying there is one on Sunday for Donegal Youth Services.

Yeah dazza it's a Donegal GAA fund raiser, don't know anything else about it yet but have messaged the girl who's hubby is in the committee n she's to let me know time etc. ill let u know then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That is really good value. I'm still sore about the Wexford HM being €40 and that's not including a 7% booking fee :mad::mad::mad:

But on the other hand you get to come to Wexford.;) That's easily worth E40+7% booking fee.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Yeah dazza it's a Donegal GAA fund raiser, don't know anything else about it yet but have messaged the girl who's hubby is in the committee n she's to let me know time etc. ill let u know then!

Would be cautious about a Gaa County Board one, seen before they had one and had less than 50 people do it (counting players and management). For some reason they don't link up with the Finn Valley Ac or some other club. FV were promoting the one on the Sunday so would expect them to get a decent crowd.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Would be cautious about a Gaa County Board one, seen before they had one and had less than 50 people do it (counting players and management). For some reason they don't link up with the Finn Valley Ac or some other club. FV were promoting the one on the Sunday so would expect them to get a decent crowd.

Oh I know, really not fussed on doing it at all, n seems so disorganised when there's no advertising for it , don't even know what time it at yet. They def haven't advertised it on inishowen ac 's Facebook page either so like u say don't think they link up to clubs, but feel have to do it now as was asked n agreed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yes, there are lots of great value races around. Avoid the likes of R&R half, samsung night run, GIR etc :mad:

I would like to think we could forgive the GIR as it incorporates the national 10k championships and (I hope) facilitates a lot of fundraising for deserving charities within the rest of the race. Does anyone know exactly how the €29 entry fee is distributed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

murphd77 wrote: »
    I would like to think we could forgive the GIR as it incorporates the national 10k championships and (I hope) facilitates a lot of fundraising for deserving charities within the rest of the race. Does anyone know exactly how the €29 entry fee is distributed?

The national championship is decent value at €20. But those paying €29 for the GIR the money all goes to a profit making company. They run a series of 'great runs' mostly in the UK and make millions every year. Afaik the only money going to charity is that which is raised individually by participants through sponsorship.

I have my first VO2 max session tonight, 5 x 800m @ 5k speed. I have a quick question about doing intervals with the Garmin, I have programmed it to do 5 x ½ mile intervals with 1 min 45s recovery and have ticked the warm up/cool down box. Do I just run my warm up then hit the ‘lap’ button and the intervals will start? Does it show your speed or just distance while you are doing the intervals?

Oh, I have the 205 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I have my first VO2 max session tonight, 5 x 800m @ 5k speed. I have a quick question about doing intervals with the Garmin, I have programmed it to do 5 x ½ mile intervals with 1 min 45s recovery and have ticked the warm up/cool down box. Do I just run my warm up then hit the ‘lap’ button and the intervals will start? Does it show your speed or just distance while you are doing the intervals?

I set mine up using the custom workout functionality as I find it easier. I used the interval one once and it started the reps automatically before I was ready (I think it is because I had auto lap at one mile on, make sure you turn auto lap off when doing workouts) I know from using the custom version that yep once I run my couple of warm up miles then I press lap and you are straight into the first rep.

The key is not to press lap during the reps or recoveries as it messes the whole workout up. I know this from experience the first time I tried it. :o

I shows lap pace and distance on the interval screen alright but you can toggle back to your regular screens also if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Personally I have never set up a workout on the Garmin.
    I prefer just to hit the 'lap' button at the start and finish of each interval.
    That way you don't have to wait for your watch to tell you when to go. You might find you need more (or less) recovery at the end of each interval. Or might want to wait until you find a flatter/less windy stretch of road etc.

• Advertisement

Do I just run my warm up then hit the ‘lap’ button and the intervals will start?

Yes. This is how I had mine set up on MOnday. I couldn't see pace though. but I didnt't try change teh screen display so I'd say you can.

Advertisement