Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    Personally I have never set up a workout on the Garmin.
    I prefer just to hit the 'lap' button at the start and finish of each interval.
    That way you don't have to wait for your watch to tell you when to go. You might find you need more (or less) recovery at the end of each interval. Or might want to wait until you find a flatter/less windy stretch of road etc.

I used to be like yourself meno and just done it myself. But I said id give it a try setting it up on the Garmin. I do find it handy alright and have been converted :D Its perfect if you are going over and back the same stretch of road for the intervals. but if you are doing each of your intervals in different places if you are doing a loop etc. then manual is probably the way to go alright.

I'd say give it a try ncmc and see what you prefer then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    I used to be like yourself meno and just done it myself. But I said id give it a try setting it up on the Garmin. I do find it handy alright and have been converted :D Its perfect if you are going over and back the same stretch of road for the intervals. but if you are doing each of your intervals in different places if you are doing a loop etc. then manual is probably the way to go alright.

I'd say give it a try ncmc and see what you prefer then..

I guess it helps that I normally do my intervals on the track. I just start and stop after 2 laps (for 800s). Some of the clubmates set up workouts before but since the garmin never seems to measure a lap of a running track correctly it kind of messed up the session for them......

menoscemo wrote: »
    I guess it helps that I normally do my intervals on the track. I just start and stop after 2 laps (for 800s). Some of the clubmates set up workouts before but since the garmin never seems to measure a lap of a running track correctly it kind of messed up the session for them......

yeah, no point in setting it up for a track alright. We don't have such luxuries down here in the shticks!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks guys, I think I will give it a go with the Garmin, I'm not going to be able to get to a track, so will just try and find a flattish stretch and repeat the same section. Will hopefully be able to see the pace. I'd be concerened that I'd start to fast and then fade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I think I will give it a go with the Garmin, I'm not going to be able to get to a track, so will just try and find a flattish stretch and repeat the same section. Will hopefully be able to see the pace. I'd be concerened that I'd start to fast and then fade!

Just make sure the pace stting is set up to show the average pace of the current lap.
    I think the choice is 'Pace-Lap'.

• Advertisement

I've spent the last half hour reading the manual, trying to set up an interval, downloading the training software, trying to get the history from my watch to my computer.... my brain hurts! I think I need a lie down!

In fairness though, what else would I be doing in work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Continuing the theme of VO2 max ,my session this morning called for 6x800m.
    At the start of the run the run the legs & body to be fair felt a bit tired,headed for the old railway track in Dungarvan as it has 3k marked out in 100meter sections which does make the run a little easier,the first 3 were against a head wind but learning from experience,the effort was maintained throughout.Although the wind seemed to die on the way back the body was starting to feel looser again & did 1k for the final rep.

Avg pace per split
    1. 7:04
    2. 7:15
    3. 7:09
    4. 6:54
    5. 6:50
    6. 6:47

While these felt a bit tough at the start,once I got onto them I quite enjoyed them.

Hit the 600 mile mark for the year tonight, only 48 more miles to surpass my 2012 total.:D Hope do hit it at the halfway mark in Rotterdam which will be kinda cool.

Just a quick note on taper, I've been reducing my miles the last couple of weeks but still eating the same amount as at my peak week! A recipe for disaster!!:eek: A small few grams put on! ;) Have to reduce my intake now for the next 10 days (no crap or leftover easter eggs and they looking at me! :() to compensate but at the same time need to eat enough next week to ensure my fuel tank is full for race day. It's a fine line!

Just something to consider/ keep an eye on when some of you hit taper also over the next few weeks.

Be interested how other people deal with this in the lead up to marathons....calling out for experience...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Hit the 600 mile mark for the year tonight, only 48 more miles to surpass my 2012 total.:D Hope do hit it at the halfway mark in Rotterdam which will be kinda cool.

Just a quick note on taper, I've been reducing my miles the last couple of weeks but still eating the same amount as at my peak week! A recipe for disaster!!:eek: A small few grams put on! ;) Have to reduce my intake now for the next 10 days (no crap or leftover easter eggs and they looking at me! :() to compensate but at the same time need to eat enough next week to ensure my fuel tank is full for race day. It's a fine line!

Just something to consider/ keep an eye on when some of you hit taper also over the next few weeks.

Be interested how other people deal with this in the lead up to marathons....calling out for experience...:)

How can you even think about tapering. Have you not looked at the sheet recently, Career Move is breathing down your neck in annual mileage! :D

Haha..I hadn't noticed! ;) We all know there will be only one winner in that race! My miles will nosedive after this marathon for a couple of months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

600 miles is some going. Well done.

No harm putting on a little extra shortly before the marathon, though I guess the time will come soon after when you'll need to stop eating for the higher mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done Blockic, that's some going!
    Only experience I have is DCM, and I used it as excuse to eat everything in sight, was great, like been pregnant! However with times like yours etc I can appreciate it's a different ball game. For Derry marathon I'll b continuing to eat like a horse during taper n will enjoy every sinful mouthful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

+1 to 600 miles being impressive, especially at your pace Blockic! I've hit the 500 mile mark this week, some difference from last year right enough..I had less than 400 miles in my legs by the time I did DCM :eek:

Just back from today's run and that's me finished up until Sunday's LSR at MP. Moved things around as I'm at a wedding Friday and Saturday. I'll miss an 8 mile run but I'm sure I'll dance the equivalent on Friday night :P

As for taper and diet, I'll be the same as new runner - eating all round me - one of the many perks to marathon training in my book :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Runchick wrote: »
    I've hit the 500 mile mark this week, some difference from last year right enough..I had less than 400 miles in my legs by the time I did DCM :eek:

Well done Runchick - you don't seem to be missing a beat. I must say I am feeling a bit sore this week after the effort in Omagh on Saturday. Had an 8k recovery run on the Monday, then 6.5k on Tue but skipped yesterday's run as I was just feeling too tired. Hope to do it today and take another day off before the weekend runs. Tough going and well done on the 500 miles. Only up to 570k (354 miles) myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Now thinking of doing the Great Ireland run as a tune up for Limerick. Its on the 14th of Apr with Limerick being 5th of May, does this sound worthwhile or is just risking injury?

Now thinking of doing the Great Ireland run as a tune up for Limerick. Its on the 14th of Apr with Limerick being 5th of May, does this sound worthwhile or is just risking injury?

Sounds very worthwhile to me. 3 weeks out will be fine for a 10km distance. Will be a good tune up for Limerick. No matter when you run there is always an injury risk (no matter how small)so I can't guarantee that! But if you are injury free going into it, there should be no reason for you to hold back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sounds very worthwhile to me. 3 weeks out will be fine for a 10km distance. Will be a good tune up for Limerick. No matter when you run there is always an injury risk (no matter how small)so I can't guarantee that! But if you are injury free going into it, there should be no reason for you to hold back.

Ha ha, im fine apart from the normal niggles and aches and pains, my peak mileage week is next week so its nothing that I wouldn't have expected. Id just train up to it and go as hard as I could on the day. Is anyone else doing a 10k tune up or similar ahead of their spring marathons? I suppose I could do a park run 5k the following week either, decisions decisions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Is anyone else doing a 10k tune up or similar ahead of their spring marathons?
    I'm doing the 10k in the kclub on April 20th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I'm doing the 10k in the kclub on April 20th ;)

I think there's a few from here doing this race, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm doing the Great Ireland Run.

After 10 days of messing around & feeling sorry for myself I got out for 6m today. Felt great and glad to be back, my mind has finally swung back into positive territory. lets hope it stays there for the next few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Headed out this forenoon to do my long run as agreed to do a GAA fundraising 5k on Saturday. Not a run I planning to race hard in anyway but thought as my long run priority I'd rather do it 1st. Was planning to do 20m, all was going well till just into mile 19 I came off edge roadside n took bad tumble, obviously wasn't looking where I going :( thankfully didn't hurt my ankle but badly bruised n cut left shoulder, side of face, leg, thigh, both knees, hands. Badly scrapped my Garmin watch n put knee outta bottoms. Not the best run. My shoulder really sore, hopefully b better in couple days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

New runner wrote: »
    Headed out this forenoon to do my long run as agreed to do a GAA fundraising 5k on Saturday. Not a run I planning to race hard in anyway but thought as my long run priority I'd rather do it 1st. Was planning to do 20m, all was going well till just into mile 19 I came off edge roadside n took bad tumble, obviously wasn't looking where I going :( thankfully didn't hurt my ankle but badly bruised n cut left shoulder, side of face, leg, thigh, both knees, hands. Badly scrapped my Garmin watch n put knee outta bottoms. Not the best run. My shoulder really sore, hopefully b better in couple days :(
    that's awful. Hope u are ok.

That's awful New Runner! You are so lucky you didn't do yourself serious damage. No doubt you'll be sore and black and blue for the next few days.

I always say how easy it is to injure oneself. All it takes is one mis-step. Look after yourself and don't do the 5k if you're not feeling up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Ouch! Sounds like quite a tumble. At least you don't feel you pulled/strained anything, everything will heal bar the garmin. I scraped mine off a wall. Take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

+1 glad you're not too badly hurt. Timely reminder for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

On a side note, anyone interested in grabbing a feed in Limerick the night before the marathon? I guess we'll all be collecting our numbers on Saturday. I'm staying in a B & B in Castletroy on Sat pm but will be going in search of food (pasta, out of tradition) before the night gets too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

...came off edge roadside n took bad tumble

Ouch - hopefully you'll be fine. Fair play for doing a 20-miler five days after a half marathon. Don't think I'd have the gumption for that! You were probably tired which can contribute to these kinds of accidents. I get paranoid myself towards the end of long runs, so easy to trip over a pavement or the like. Anyway look after yourself and take it easy if necessary.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    On a side note, anyone interested in grabbing a feed in Limerick the night before the marathon? I guess we'll all be collecting our numbers on Saturday. I'm staying in a B & B in Castletroy on Sat pm but will be going in search of food (pasta, out of tradition) before the night gets too late.

I'm there with the family for the weekend, but would be interested in meeting up.

Sounds a big tumble NewRunner, not the injuries you'd expect as a runner. Hope it all repairs itself soon and without any more issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Hi all. Great to see that training is going well for you all. Keep up the good work.

Quick update on things this end. I had been experiencing a lot of pain in the hamstring for last 2 weeks and a sharp pain in the back of my knee. I reckoned the knee pain was a result of the hamstring.

Had a physio session this week and the hamstring responded well and I felt good. I said to the physio that the loosening of the muscles should help the knee pain. He wanted to take a look at the back of the knee because I didn't tell him about it. When he pressed on it, it was like a knife was pushed in there. He said I needed to see a GP.

I ran 10 yards last night out in the yard just to see what would happen and folded with the pain, just about got to the back door and the pain kept me awake all night.

GP seen today for possible Baker's cyst but they were very concerned at the level of pain and no real bulge was noted.

I've been referred to a consultant for further examination. The GP is trying to get an appointment as quickly as possible.

So I'm on very strong painkillers(to be taken at night cos they make you sleepy) and anti-inflammatories until then. I don't know what the story is but I'm ok to work and move around as best I can but nothing other than that. All bets are off for all events til I know more....disaster:(:(

Advertisement