Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Aww she-ite. :( Still hoping for good news from yet. Any day soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

upthe19th wrote: »
    Hi all. Great to see that training is going well for you all. Keep up the good work.

Quick update on things this end. I had been experiencing a lot of pain in the hamstring for last 2 weeks and a sharp pain in the back of my knee. I reckoned the knee pain was a result of the hamstring.

Had a physio session this week and the hamstring responded well and I felt good. I said to the physio that the loosening of the muscles should help the knee pain. He wanted to take a look at the back of the knee because I didn't tell him about it. When he pressed on it, it was like a knife was pushed in there. He said I needed to see a GP.

I ran 10 yards last night out in the yard just to see what would happen and folded with the pain, just about got to the back door and the pain kept me awake all night.

GP seen today for possible Baker's cyst but they were very concerned at the level of pain and no real bulge was noted.

I've been referred to a consultant for further examination. The GP is trying to get an appointment as quickly as possible.

So I'm on very strong painkillers(to be taken at night cos they make you sleepy) and anti-inflammatories until then. I don't know what the story is but I'm ok to work and move around as best I can but nothing other than that. All bets are off for all events til I know more....disaster:(:(

Jesus man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's a quick fix

Edit: on a lighter note, is it good practise to thank a post like that baring bad news??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry that hear that J. So disappointing for you! Hopefully you'll be back sooner than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm so sorry to hear that upthe19th, that sounds truly awful and very painful. Try not to think too much about the marathon, concentrate on getting yourself better first. You might still be ok for the marathon, maybe with a slight adjustment to your time. Anyway, best of luck and hopefully it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Jasis, total sickener J, just shows that anything could be around the corner. Just as well the physio checked in hindsight!

Here's hoping for good news out of the consultant and that it's not as bad as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't know what the story is but I'm ok to work and move around as best I can but nothing other than that. All bets are off for all events til I know more....disaster:(:(

Hope it's not too serious - best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

New runner wrote: »
    Headed out this forenoon to do my long run as agreed to do a GAA fundraising 5k on Saturday. Not a run I planning to race hard in anyway but thought as my long run priority I'd rather do it 1st. Was planning to do 20m, all was going well till just into mile 19 I came off edge roadside n took bad tumble, obviously wasn't looking where I going :( thankfully didn't hurt my ankle but badly bruised n cut left shoulder, side of face, leg, thigh, both knees, hands. Badly scrapped my Garmin watch n put knee outta bottoms. Not the best run. My shoulder really sore, hopefully b better in couple days :(

That's terrible. Glad no permanent damage done. Hope you get all better soon.

So I'm on very strong painkillers(to be taken at night cos they make you sleepy) and anti-inflammatories until then. I don't know what the story is but I'm ok to work and move around as best I can but nothing other than that. All bets are off for all events til I know more....disaster:(:(

Sorry to hear that, sounds terrible, and sore. Hopefully now that its in hand you can get to the bottom of it and get it sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Headed out this forenoon to do my long run as agreed to do a GAA fundraising 5k on Saturday. Not a run I planning to race hard in anyway but thought as my long run priority I'd rather do it 1st. Was planning to do 20m, all was going well till just into mile 19 I came off edge roadside n took bad tumble, obviously wasn't looking where I going :( thankfully didn't hurt my ankle but badly bruised n cut left shoulder, side of face, leg, thigh, both knees, hands. Badly scrapped my Garmin watch n put knee outta bottoms. Not the best run. My shoulder really sore, hopefully b better in couple days :(

That sounds like an awful fall new runner. Rest well after that. Sounds like you got a few nasty knocks. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Cheers for the good wishes folks. Only realising now how much of a release the running is. Frustration and pain is a bad combination. Im gonna be a dream to be around for the next while.

Nothing has been confirmed yet though. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Take it handy out there and mind them bodies.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the good wishes folks. Only realising now how much of a release the running is. Frustration and pain is a bad combination. Im gonna be a dream to be around for the next while.

Nothing has been confirmed yet though. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Take it handy out there and mind them bodies.

I was reading up on it there, best of luck with it, let us know how you're getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

So sorry to hear that up the 19th, hope u mend up quickly. Must b so frustrating, at least mine only very superficial injuries n will heal in few days! All the very best wishes! Hate to hear anyone injured! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bad luck, hope it the scrapes heal quickly.Lucky you didn't sprain your ankle or anything. The tiredness probably had a part to play there too.

So sorry to hear that up the 19th, hope u mend up quickly. Must b so frustrating, at least mine only very superficial injuries n will heal in few days! All the very best wishes! Hate to hear anyone injured! :(

+1 to that and all the other good wishes. Hope everything works out well for you.

Speaking of injuries......just had my 2nd run after my hamstring strain last week and I'm confident it is ok but will keep up the stretching regime. My Back is still bothering me but not when I'm running.

5.5 miles done @8:27avg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hi all. Great to see that training is going well for you all. Keep up the good work.

Quick update on things this end. I had been experiencing a lot of pain in the hamstring for last 2 weeks and a sharp pain in the back of my knee. I reckoned the knee pain was a result of the hamstring.

Had a physio session this week and the hamstring responded well and I felt good. I said to the physio that the loosening of the muscles should help the knee pain. He wanted to take a look at the back of the knee because I didn't tell him about it. When he pressed on it, it was like a knife was pushed in there. He said I needed to see a GP.

I ran 10 yards last night out in the yard just to see what would happen and folded with the pain, just about got to the back door and the pain kept me awake all night.

GP seen today for possible Baker's cyst but they were very concerned at the level of pain and no real bulge was noted.

I've been referred to a consultant for further examination. The GP is trying to get an appointment as quickly as possible.

Jaysus sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted and back on the road soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Jesus, upthe19th, awful news. Speedy recovery, fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

scriba wrote: »
    Jesus, upthe19th, awful news. Speedy recovery, fella.

+1 to that. Sounds nasty. Fingers crossed its less severe.

30 mins done on xtrainer as the pounding on roads was too sore on shoulder n face causing both to throb painfully, discovered this by trial running around kichen table this morn! glad no one was looking in window lol!! thankfully it was ok on xtrainer , I can still put this in my mileage sheet can't I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Gavlor wrote: »
    Jesus man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's a quick fix

Edit: on a lighter note, is it good practise to thank a post like that baring bad news??!

For me - I view thanks as being appropriate when the post involved deserves recognition. Be that for something funny, cute, that I strongly agree with, to literally thank a poster for there input or to sympathise with and show some solidarity after some bad news.

Can't imagine upthe19th thinking them bastards liked me getting injured :mad::mad::mad:

:D

• Advertisement

The day has come. I'm off to Paris. Feels like almost as much a voyage into the unknown as Dublin did.

Plan: run with 3'30 pacers.
    Pb to beat: 3'46'x
    weather outlook: 8 / 9 degrees
    Runners packed: check
    Sleepless night: comin right up.

Mon Dieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

coalshed wrote: »
    The day has come. I'm off to Paris. Feels like almost as much a voyage into the unknown as Dublin did.

Mon Dieu.

Best of luck coalshed. Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck Coalshed, just go and do your best. You're in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, the most important thing is to take it all in and enjoy yourself.

Eagerly awaiting the race report!

Mon Dieu.

Good luck, I'm so jealous!!!

Mon Dieu.

The very best of luck! U will do brilliant ! The hard work all done , enjoy n reap the benefits! When or if u finding it tough just think about ur race report u will b posting here n that will keep u going! Safe journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Mon Dieu.
    Bonne Chance ! Enjoy every minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good luck Coalshed - enjoy it after all your hard work.

Thanks all. Plenty of runners on this flight.

Thanks all. Plenty of runners on this flight.

Throw beer at them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mon Dieu.

Best of luck coalshed, hopefully see you on Eurosport in the morning.

Advertisement