Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Called inti Tri&Run today in Mullingar looking to buy Gerry Duffy's new book, turned out i ran into the great man himself was the first one to buy his new book and he even signed it for me. Hes a true gentleman & inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant race report coalshed :) I was going to do Paris but had a wedding that weekend so found this a very interesting read, might still consider it for next year.

Your experience echoes my fears for Limerick - going out too fast and fading later. I'll definitely take your advice and keep an eye on the heart rate.

You did an amazing job considering how cr@p you felt in the last miles. Well done on the PB and sounds like lots of lessons learnt which will stand to you next time :D How has the recovery been for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

tang1 wrote: »
    Called inti Tri&Run today in Mullingar looking to buy Gerry Duffy's new book, turned out i ran into the great man himself was the first one to buy his new book and he even signed it for me. Hes a true gentleman & inspiration.

Brilliant report Coalshed really enjoyed hearing about it. And a huge congrats on the PB! Found it very interesting to hear about your experience and about your run up to the marathon (excuse the pun :) )
    I'm just wondering is there anyone on this who's not training for a marathon or is in between marathon training? And what kind of mileage your doing every week? What distance are your lsr? I'm aiming for Dublin again this year and planning on taking on P&D plan during summer but abit confused what I should be doing now ?

Agree 100% with you Tang re Gerry Duffy, I couldn't put his last book down truly inspirational. I can't wait to get the new one this weekend. He makes you believe you can achieve anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Brilliant report Coalshed really enjoyed hearing about it. And a huge congrats on the PB! Found it very interesting to hear about your experience and about your run up to the marathon (excuse the pun :) )
    I'm just wondering is there anyone on this who's not training for a marathon or is in between marathon training? And what kind of mileage your doing every week? What distance are your lsr? I'm aiming for Dublin again this year and planning on taking on P&D plan during summer but abit confused what I should be doing now ?

Agree 100% with you Tang re Gerry Duffy, I couldn't put his last book down truly inspirational. I can't wait to get the new one this weekend. He makes you believe you can achieve anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

DOCO12 wrote: »

P&D starts at about 33 miles doesn't it? So you'd want to have a base of at least that if not more going into the plan.

I have to say I'm delighted I didn't feel urge to enter a Spring marathon because I defo wouldn't have been hitting the targets with the weather and the dark evenings.
    Fair play to you people for keeping it going and finishing the task at hand. It really hasn't been the easiest few months for you.

Coalshed you've done extremely well and really shouldn't beat yourself up about your performance. I'm finding it tough just keeping up a base at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I think there are a few of us not currently doing marathon plans, myself and Dazza21ie are two of them. At the moment I'm training specifically for 10k's but am nearly finished this training cycle and will then be looking at stepping up to half marathon. I've no plans to do any marathons this year. What I am doing is building as good a base as possible for next year.

At the moment I'm running 30-40 miles a week across 6 days and my LSR's are in the range of 9 - 13 miles. I really felt that my base let me down last year during DCM so thats why I'm running what I am now to help get me stronger, fitter and my body use to the high mileage with less stress than if I was marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Brilliant report coalshed! N boy did u keep our tongues falling out waiting for it lol! I found kept checking last few days dying to see if ud put in a report , though it was def worth the wait! Huge congrats n big well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ehhhhh....thats's gas...if any of you read my Conn report....I see now the chap I shared breakfast with is this Gerry Duffy you all speak off!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Thanks all for your lovely comments. Back in no keyboard land this evening, will reply tomorrow.

Delighted n bit disappointed this eve as went to do the 5k in derry this eve on way home from work which incorporated the national 5k. Didn't expect to do well in this as following the fall on Thursday in mile 19, I did 11m on Sunday followed by a quick 10m on Monday so knew I'd feel my legs tired tonite but decided as missed training last nite as late home from work I'd do it as speed session n not expect much. I started fine , though as usual too fast, it was 800m followed by 3 laps of a cycle path , flat n very fast course and a huge gap developed after the 2nd lap between the runners in front and myself which left me running the 3rd lap on my own (1400m) , was finding it tough n pace slipped a bit , I wasn't familiar with route and marshalls didn't seem helpful and when almost at end they didn't tell me to go straight ahead n I went to go the lap again thinking it finished round the corner but someone then shouted if last lap go this other way! I did shout to the marshals " for f...ks sake !" Was raging as stopped my watch at 22.00!! 21.59 been what I was dying to achieve b4 end of season though didnt expect it tonite , results posted n yes 22.00! Damn if had been told where go accurately I'd def made 21.59! However PB by 10 secs n BRONZE TEAM MEDAL! Whoohoo , was 2nd female home for club, so I'm thrilled ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Congrats Coalshed. Contender for race report of the year!
    Nice running and nice PB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If anybody knows of a flat fast 10km in June or July (apart from 10k in Dunshaughlin on 22.6.13) let us know please. Can't make one on 22nd due to work.

If anybody knows of a flat fast 10km in June or July (apart from 10k in Dunshaughlin on 22.6.13) let us know please. Can't make one on 22nd due to work.

Docklands 10km 20th June - flat as a pancake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

New runner wrote: »
    However PB by 10 secs n BRONZE TEAM MEDAL! Whoohoo , was 2nd female home for club, so I'm thrilled ! :)

Great run. Kudos. (And **** the marshalls volunteers officials - they don't always get it right, obviously.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rasher_m wrote: »
    Docklands 10km 20th June - flat as a pancake ;)

You're forgetting the bridge.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Great report coalshed, really well written. Good time too. Great to get that PB lowered. With what you've learned, 3:30 and below are within your grasp the next time.

murphd77 wrote: »
    You're forgetting the bridge.:D

Why? Is the bridge going to open up and people have to run up it or something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Delighted n bit disappointed this eve as went to do the 5k in derry this eve on way home from work which incorporated the national 5k. Didn't expect to do well in this as following the fall on Thursday in mile 19, I did 11m on Sunday followed by a quick 10m on Monday so knew I'd feel my legs tired tonite but decided as missed training last nite as late home from work I'd do it as speed session n not expect much. I started fine , though as usual too fast, it was 800m followed by 3 laps of a cycle path , flat n very fast course and a huge gap developed after the 2nd lap between the runners in front and myself which left me running the 3rd lap on my own (1400m) , was finding it tough n pace slipped a bit , I wasn't familiar with route and marshalls didn't seem helpful and when almost at end they didn't tell me to go straight ahead n I went to go the lap again thinking it finished round the corner but someone then shouted if last lap go this other way! I did shout to the marshals " for f...ks sake !" Was raging as stopped my watch at 22.00!! 21.59 been what I was dying to achieve b4 end of season though didnt expect it tonite , results posted n yes 22.00! Damn if had been told where go accurately I'd def made 21.59! However PB by 10 secs n BRONZE TEAM MEDAL! Whoohoo , was 2nd female home for club, so I'm thrilled ! :)

Well done New Runner, thats a great time on tired legs. I think you might have to revise your target after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

blockic wrote: »
    +1 A super report coalshed, and a great race considering. It is still a great PB at the end of the day. Really gets me in the mood now. Great analysis also at the end. I'll be taking a few of your tips and learnings with me on Saturday!

+1 on congrats, fab report and a great race PB!

Blockic - best of luck in your race, report bar set Hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Update after nearly a week.

Taking the anti-inflammatories, not too many painkillers, and compression and icing since seeing doctor last week. Calves and hamstring were better but knee was still not able to take much weight but was feeling better each day. On monday last was sitting with the kids and started massaging the top of my calf and back of knee with my thumb. It started to loosen a bit and something seemed to "release" at the back of the knee. When I stood the calf was sore but not so much in the knee. I ran around the table at home and the knee did not twinge or feel pulled or strained.

Against the better of herself, I decided to go for a short run, not expecting to get far. No GPS, just a stopwatch under sleeve that I did not look at. Managed 4 miles at what I reckoned was about 8:00-8:30/mile and felt under pressure, disheartened at how "unfit" I had become after over 2 weeks of little or no training. Checked the stopwatch at the end, couldn't believe the time, 28:47 for the 4 miles:eek:.

Had physio session booked for last night to do work on calves and hamstring, while waiting for consultant, . He couldn't believe the difference in the knee. He could hardly tell them apart. Good rubdown and legs felt really loose after it. Physio reckons the the back of the knee may have been swollen from all the tightness of the muscles, top and bottom of it. The last session may have relieved the swelling a bit which may explain why the doctor thought swelling was too small to be a bakers cyst but still aggrevated and very sore.

Have been advised to take it easy, build up some running from friday on. I'm to see how it goes next week. If all things remain good, I can race (within reason) on the 21st in wexford

I won't be rushing, What has been missed, is missed. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

upthe19th wrote: »
    I won't be rushing, What has been missed, is missed. Fingers crossed.

Great news. But I'll just put some emphasis on this point!:D

Don't do too much to soon, but you know that yourself!

Is running around the kitchen table in fashion at the moment? :D

Brilliant run New runner, you're another flying machine in the making :D

So happy for you upthe19th, sounds like you could be back sooner than you thought, excellent :D Best of luck with the recovery, slowly does it :)

All this happy news folks, puts a smile on me face on a wet Thursday :P

Great report coalshed. Really enjoyed reading it. I thought you were a shoe in for a sub 3:30 after Waterford...you were so strong down there. I didn't get the impression from the race report that you 'blew up' really badly. I wonder if you had kept with your mate would ye have encouraged each other on better?

Ha ha, that makes me feel manly :)

I don't think my mate would be the Mr Motivator type, but given that he finished just 26 seconds ahead of me it's a shame I didn't work harder to catch up on him.

Thanks Doco. I'm not training for a marathon any more now :) Considering my next move.
    rasher_m wrote: »
    Coalshed you've done extremely well and really shouldn't beat yourself up about your performance. I'm finding it tough just keeping up a base at the moment!

Thanks, I'm pleased with the time and happy to know that there should be a better time within me if I apply myself. It's been a difficult enough few months to be out on the road but thankfully (hopefully) we're coming into nicer weather now.
    Brilliant report coalshed! N boy did u keep our tongues falling out waiting for it lol! I found kept checking last few days dying to see if ud put in a report , though it was def worth the wait! Huge congrats n big well done :)

Thanks!
    Congrats Coalshed. Contender for race report of the year!
    Nice running and nice PB!

High praise indeed. For anyone interested DC Rainmaker wrote a great report about the Paris marathon (with lots of photos) over on his blog. Be prepared to be sickened though that he can take so many photos while running a 3:27 marathon!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/paris-marathon-report-2.html

Trying to find the motivation n love for heading out in the rain n to do my LSR on my own! :( have do it this morn as I have my nieces 18th birthday party tonite n a charity 5k for breast cancer in ballybofey on Sunday, though I planning to pace a friend around in 25 mins so won't b too fast a run for me. Seeing that 3.5 miles today will bring my mileage to 600 for this year has helped me find the motivation to kick my butt out the door so it's a case of " hi ho it's off to run I go" n hopefully won't fall today again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Alanm

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing Dublin again this year and have been trying to maintain fitness by doing somewhere between 40 and 50k per week. LSR is usually about 20-22k. The P&D book suggests that you should be running at least 25 miles p/w before starting and to be comfortable running 12 mile LSR..

I'm hoping to use the next 10 weeks or so to build an even bigger base to be comfortable running 60k weeks, and then it'll be time to start the 18 week plan :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Just back from a week in the sun. Only ran 2 x 6 miles while away. It was a bit more of a party week than I'd expected! Anyway it was good for the head, but not so much for the body. Need to get back into it today. Hope it doesn't upset my 1:40 goal for Wexford next week.

Well done coalshed great report & time!

This Sunday's LSR will see the start of the taper for Limerick, and can't come fast enough for me :rolleyes: Not because I'm not enjoying the training (well I am getting tired but enjoying it all the same). My problem is feeling that an injury is waiting around the corner:( I read on here about niggles and injuries starting to show up and I'm sure I'd be next if I continued the way I'm going. Nothing in particular, but the legs feel tight and heavy and don't really recover between workouts. Anyone else feeling this? I'm trusting the plan and hoping that this is perfectly normal at this stage in training. I think I'll kiss the ground at the end of my LSR on Sunday though if I make it through without a problem :P Body is definitely trying to tell me something and I don't want to ignore the signs...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

You need to stay positive Runchick - it is as if you are expecting an injury to happen. Train well & train smart including your rest days and you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Runchick wrote: »
    This Sunday's LSR will see the start of the taper for Limerick, and can't come fast enough for me :rolleyes: Not because I'm not enjoying the training (well I am getting tired but enjoying it all the same). My problem is feeling that an injury is waiting around the corner:( I read on here about niggles and injuries starting to show up and I'm sure I'd be next if I continued the way I'm going. Nothing in particular, but the legs feel tight and heavy and don't really recover between workouts. Anyone else feeling this? I'm trusting the plan and hoping that this is perfectly normal at this stage in training. I think I'll kiss the ground at the end of my LSR on Sunday though if I make it through without a problem :P Body is definitely trying to tell me something and I don't want to ignore the signs...

I hear ya runchick, Ive had a niggle in my calf since Bohermeen that just wont go away and long grinding tempo runs in the midst of 50+ mile weeks dont help the like of me recover! Last LSR this weekend for me before Limerick too and whilst I know that I have to keep the quality up in the taper phase the decrease in mileage will be welcomed!

Advertisement