Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    This Sunday's LSR will see the start of the taper for Limerick, and can't come fast enough for me :rolleyes: Not because I'm not enjoying the training (well I am getting tired but enjoying it all the same). My problem is feeling that an injury is waiting around the corner:( I read on here about niggles and injuries starting to show up and I'm sure I'd be next if I continued the way I'm going. Nothing in particular, but the legs feel tight and heavy and don't really recover between workouts. Anyone else feeling this? I'm trusting the plan and hoping that this is perfectly normal at this stage in training. I think I'll kiss the ground at the end of my LSR on Sunday though if I make it through without a problem :P Body is definitely trying to tell me something and I don't want to ignore the signs...
    I think it's natural to be tired at this stage of a gruelling training plan. You're doing P&D aren't you? It's a massive step up in both mileage and intensity on what we were doing last year, so it's not suprising that there are a few people with some niggles.

I would recommend a good deep tissue massage at some stage in the next week or so. I find it great for revitalising the legs. Other than that, run your recovery runs slow and try and rest as much as possible on your rest days and get lots of sleep (I think you have a few kids, so easier said than done I hear you say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    I think it's natural to be tired at this stage of a gruelling training plan. You're doing P&D aren't you? It's a massive step up in both mileage and intensity on what we were doing last year, so it's not suprising that there are a few people with some niggles.

I would recommend a good deep tissue massage at some stage in the next week or so. I find it great for revitalising the legs. Other than that, run your recovery runs slow and try and rest as much as possible on your rest days and get lots of sleep (I think you have a few kids, so easier said than done I hear you say!)

Funny you say that ncmc, I was going to 'treat' myself to a sports massage next week, I can't believe I haven't crossed the physio's door all year so far, after becoming so used to going there last year :eek: Think I'll book in alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick not surprising u tiring at this stage, u have done amazing, n so close to taper!! Jealous.com!! I not long in from 22m n as predicted wasnt best or nicest run but hey its done, wish it was my last big long run! but ill get there too. knowing this is the last 1 for u this weekend will get u through. The hard work is almost done n yeah I think getting ur legs rubbed out will help n u will find the decrease in mileage a bit bonus. Well done on getting this far n stay positive , u will b fine n doing fantastic :)

New runner wrote: »
    Runchick not surprising u tiring at this stage, u have done amazing, n so close to taper!! Jealous.com!! I not long in from 22m n as predicted wasnt best or nicest run but hey its done, wish it was my last big long run! but ill get there too. knowing this is the last 1 for u this weekend will get u through. The hard work is almost done n yeah I think getting ur legs rubbed out will help n u will find the decrease in mileage a bit bonus. Well done on getting this far n stay positive , u will b fine n doing fantastic :)

Thanks for the encouragement New runner! And congrats on hitting 600 miles, that's very impressive with your marathon still a while away yet. Can't wait to get Sunday's 22 miles under the belt, kind of looking forward to it in a weird kind of way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Last 20m LSR done. Best one yet thank God. Included 14m at PMP of 9.40.

Finished up at the gym and went straight to the pool for a bit of active recovery and feel tired but good now.

Overall stats of 20.5m @ 9.54 (avg HR of 160bpm)

Looking forward to the 'easing off on mileage but not letting up on intensity' time now in the lead up to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Last 20m LSR done. Best one yet thank God. Included 14m at PMP of 9.40.

Finished up at the gym and went straight to the pool for a bit of active recovery and feel tired but good now.

Overall stats of 20.5m @ 9.54 (avg HR of 160bpm)

Looking forward to the 'easing off on mileage but not letting up on intensity' time now in the lead up to Limerick.

Great run there k. I'd say the swim felt great. Happy tapering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great stuff Killian, I reckon you're feeling alot better about your Limerick prospects now with that confidence booster. I'm aboard the Limerick taper bus too, last substantial long run in today, 18 miles in very windy conditions. Its getting close now, can feel the taper madness just around the corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Race Report from last night.
    Last night I did the “Marine Climb” 6 mile road race.Its a challenging race ,approx 2.7 miles flat,600ft climb over the next 3 miles & then a slight downhill finish for the last 0.3 of a mile.
    Training plan called for 12 miles yesterday with 7 miles at HMP.
    It was an A to B course & my initial plan was to park at the finish,run the course in reverse & then do the race,unfortunately I was in Cork earlier in the day & got caught in the delays in the Jack Lynch Tunnel so a quick phonecall to the OH & she picked me up at the finish & dropped me into Dungarvan for the start.
    3 miles of a warm-up done with some strides thrown in,sun shining,conditions as close to perfect as possible.
    The first 2 miles were uneventful,just a matter of finding your stride & trying to run in a group of similar pace but at the same time to be patient as the real test is the climb itself.
    As we started to climb I could see a group of runners ahead that were starting to slowly spread out.I wasn’t overly worried about pace on this stretch once I kept the effort up.Slowly I started passing a few runners some really struggling with the climb,but one runner in particular stood out(later I found out he was in the M55 category) & he shouted out great words of encouragement.There was a small water stop at the 4 mile mark (which on gavlor’s advice I have read elsewehere I slowed to a crawl to get a decent mouthful of water from a cup)before heading around the second hairpin bend of the course,hit the 5 mile in a small little group of 4,I was feeling good here & started to push the pace,was thinking maybe a bit too soon but I wanted to work the legs hard,was out in front of this group until just before the downhill section the previously mentioned M55 runner passed me flying but at the same time inviting those around to push on to the finish.
    An invitation I gladly accepted& pushed on as best I could trying to leave nothing in the tank to finish in 45:55.
    There Murphy’s pint glasses waiting for us at the finish nut sadly none of the black stuff,just water which was welcome too.Had a good chat with the M55 competitor,to be fair he really pushed & encouraged everyone around him, before heading off for a nice 3 mile cooldown.I did this race last year as well & really struggled with it,I definitely wasn’t in a position then to do a cooldown.I didn’t feel too troubled by the “hill” but felt really good that I was able to kick on for the last mile which also turned out to be the fastest mile of the day.
    2013 Avg Pace 2012 Avg Pace
    Mile1 7:09 7:22
    Mile 2 7:18 7:29
    Mile 3 7:36 7:46
    Mile 4 8:21 8:43
    Mile 5 8:23 8:50
    Mile 6 7:06 8:06
    Mile 7 5:55 8:22
    Offical Time 45:55 48:16
    Overall happy with the race last night,keeps the mojo positive,but of course the rain had to come out for this morning’s recovery run.
    Just a 22mile LSR to do now in the morning to finish off the weeks running.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Nice one dj. Was mile 7 really 5:55, if so....holy fook:eek:.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Nice one dj. Was mile 7 really 5:55, if so....holy fook:eek:.

I wish:D Garmin has the distance of 6.2 miles so it was only the average pace over 0.2mile,going downhill,felt good doing it but its probably down to the work done over the winter courtesy of Meno's plan

• Advertisement

Brilliant improvements there doc, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Impressive difference between this year and last Doc, nice running.

docjewel wrote: »
    I wish:D Garmin has the distance of 6.2 miles so it was only the average pace over 0.2mile,going downhill,felt good doing it but its probably down to the work done over the winter courtesy of Meno's plan

fair enuff...thought you did an auld "blockic special" and ran on past the finish to make up the distance. great going all the same on a tough route.

coalshed wrote: »
    Impressive difference between this year and last Doc, nice running.

How's the body after paris coalshed?

upthe19th wrote: »
    fair enuff...thought you did an auld "blockic special" and ran on past the finish to make up the distance. great going all the same on a tough route.

Ah he's in a league of his own;)

22 miles done but my god what a slog. Death march for the last few miles, got lightheaded and fuzzy from about 18 miles (never happened before), not overly happy but glad to have it out of the way. Boy do I need this taper :(

22 miles done but my god what a slog. Death march for the last few miles, got lightheaded and fuzzy from about 18 miles (never happened before), not overly happy but glad to have it out of the way. Boy do I need this taper :(

I just had the same experience. Feel like sh1t! The wind is mad. Thought I was going to collapse! But it'll stand to us.

I just had the same experience. Feel like sh1t! The wind is mad. Thought I was going to collapse! But it'll stand to us.

If the wind's like that in Limerick I think I'll invent an injury and hit the hotel pub ;-) sorry to hear you felt the same but it's kind of heartening at the same time :)

Great session Runchick, that was always going to be a tough run and coming 15 weeks into a tough programme even more so. I had that dizzy feeling during one of my lsr last year and it happened a bit during the marathon. I find a hi 5 tab dissolved in water helps.

ncmc wrote: »
    Great session Runchick, that was always going to be a tough run and coming 15 weeks into a tough programme even more so. I had that dizzy feeling during one of my lsr last year and it happened a bit during the marathon. I find a hi 5 tab dissolved in water helps.

Thanks ncmc, i def think it was a hydration issue, I didn't carry any water even though I intend to take some in the marathon. Sure I didn't need a toilet break but prob should have taken some fluids. It's all a learning curve :)

• Advertisement

Bloody wind awful down here too on this mornings LSR,first 13 miles or so weren't too bad but no matter what direction I went for the remaining 10 miles the wind was continuously against,evening reduced to walking on some hills :-[,but still that's another long run done & dusted.

On the subject of water,I try when possible to weigh myself before & after lsr's,last year I would tend not to bring water but on an 18mile lsr I lost 8lbs,nowadays I bring water on most runs over 12miles or so,lost only 2lbs during this mornings lsr.
    Another tip,& this is from gavlor,is to stop/slow to have your drink,useful during later stages of the marathon,when trying to speed up again can be more difficult,it really doesn't slow you down that much.

Same as that doc I bring 500ml on anything over 13m ish. Today I did 21m and felt I needed another bottle, also I was covered in salt stains which i haven't had since last summer. Will get the salt tabs. Is this from dehydration?
    I put it down to being on holidays last week.
    It was tough to gauge the wind alright! I was on coast and people were running sideways, some cyclists got off the bikes and walked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sounds exactly like mine the week before, don't be too disheartened its in your legs now and taper will make the most of it for you.

Same as that doc I bring 500ml on anything over 13m ish. Today I did 21m and felt I needed another bottle, also I was covered in salt stains which i haven't had since last summer. Will get the salt tabs. Is this from dehydration?
    I put it down to being on holidays last week.
    It was tough to gauge the wind alright! I was on coast and people were running sideways, some cyclists got off the bikes and walked.

I noticed salt stains under my eyes today Stephen and have never had that before. I'm guessing the effort in that ridiculous wind was to blame. I have run a 20 and 21 miler without water with no probs but I guess conditions today were pretty extreme. Time to stock up on the hi 5 tabs again indeed :)

Actually my stinky run today could have been a hydration issue too. With being away from home, I wasn't drinking much water yday and was drinking a lot of coffee, so felt very thirsty and I had such a residue of salt on my skin. I need to carry water with me from now on. I've been getting lazy about it lately as I hate running with a water belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I was looking for a water belt a while ago, I cant stand carrying a bottle and the camelbak is now too big/heavy for my requirements. Thought I'd give one of those belts with 3 or 4 of the small bottles on it a go; but I'm not sure if there would be enough capacity in one of those and I'd just end up drinking from the stations anyway.

Its too late for Limerick now anyway, go with what i know and I'll use the summer to try out other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Any word from blockic yet? Wondering how he got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

New runner wrote: »
    Any word from blockic yet? Wondering how he got on?

Not good - dnf with heat exhaustion 500m from the end with 2.58 on the clock. http://www.boards.ie/thread/2056815903/45#post84143848

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

A pal of mine just texted from rotterdam. Seems conditions were extremely hot...he felt lucky to finish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Not good - dnf with heat exhaustion 500m from the end with 2.58 on the clock. http://www.boards.ie/thread/2056815903/45#post84143848

I've posted / said this to J already but wanted to drop it in here at "home" as such.

Today was a bastard of a day - the only thing that stopped him today was the weather. As Gavlor mentioned in Blockys log - the fact he got carried off like that meant he gave a proper 100% and left nothing on that course. For me it shows that he is more than capable of a sub 3 marathon on a course without that kind of heat. It's gutting and disheartening to DNF only 500m away from the line but I'm in awe of the fact that he got to that point in 2:58, in that heat in only his second marathon and second year running properly. That's something to celebrate.

Advertisement