Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Not good - dnf with heat exhaustion 500m from the end with 2.58 on the clock. http://www.boards.ie/thread/2056815903/45#post84143848

That's just cruel. Gutted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

coalshed wrote: »
    That's just cruel. Gutted for him.

Cruel is a good word. He may not have got his medal or his pb today but the improvement in his running has been phenomenal this last year. When the disappointment subsides hopefully that realisation will mean something to him.

The Rotterdam marathon thread suggests he wasn't alone...sounds like carnage over there.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Absolutely gutted for him , how cruel can u get? 500m from end n on target!!! Soul wrenching! But for me he is a winner , basically he did run 26m sub 3 hours. He's been a true inspiration to us all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

docjewel wrote: »
    Bloody wind awful down here too on this mornings LSR,first 13 miles or so weren't too bad but no matter what direction I went for the remaining 10 miles the wind was continuously against,evening reduced to walking on some hills :-[,but still that's another long run done & dusted.

On the subject of water,I try when possible to weigh myself before & after lsr's,last year I would tend not to bring water but on an 18mile lsr I lost 8lbs,nowadays I bring water on most runs over 12miles or so,lost only 2lbs during this mornings lsr.
    Another tip,& this is from gavlor,is to stop/slow to have your drink,useful during later stages of the marathon,when trying to speed up again can be more difficult,it really doesn't slow you down that much.

I must have been drunk!! I should write this sh!t down!!

Some good news for me this eve. My annual membership of leisure centre at my local hotel expired beginning March, n I couldn't get same deal I got last year so I couldn't justify the expense at this time, like everyone I'm sure, I'm finding things much tighter financially, so approached the hotel this morning and got the email address of the leisure centre manager n wrote to her asking ( ok begging) for sponsorship of use of leisure facilities until after the marathon which I'm doing as part of the Foyle hospice team, I explained that I currently couldn't find the funds to rejoin but prob would again later n said I'd publicly thank the hotel on Facebook if they granted me this, well shortly after sending it I received a reply saying they'd b happy to extend it until after the marathon, just ask friends to share their Facebook page. So I'm delighted. I know I could get a better deal and much better gym elsewhere but as this only 5 mins from my home it's great and handy, especially been a working single mum of 3 kids ( yeah I was traded in for much younger model 6 yrs ago, not a model literally lol) :) Know most ppl on here hate treadmills but living in a very hilly area I find the treadmill great fir recovery runs n also for intervals, have certainly missed it while running in all the recent winds! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Did this race yesterday - finished in 1:20 which i was hoping for but boy am I sore today. It was definitely the hardest run/race I ever did - not that I've done many:rolleyes:. It was an out and back race but the wind was unreal. The first 7.5km was cross wind - manageable enough but my god the second 7.5km was neon on impossible:eek: It was like two steps forward and two back - I did my best to keep up pace but it was almost impossible to move forward never mind run, was even tempted to walk and wait for my brother to catch me up and finish with him but I dug in, even passed a couple of people and kept going. It was a horrible day for a race and I was never so glad to finish something but then shall we say a seasoned runner came over to me at the end of race to congraluated me on my steady race pace, we paced each other most of the way, he went ahead of me on the way out, I passed him on way back, which he congratulated me on at the time, because of the wind but he passed me out in the end. He had a really strong finish he said because he is a marathon runner - his race top was 1000 mile marathon club or something like that. It was really nice of him to come over afterwards - it made a tough day seem worthwile:D Am going to visit the physio this week for rub down for the first time this year and not because I have to but because I want to:p

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Hi Willie42
    Well done you, got your time, dug in and HTFU'd it to the end
    Enjoy the massage, and well earned

How awfully sad about the explosions near the end of the Boston marathon, news just in 3 fatalities apparently. So sickening and heartbreaking! RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's absolutely horrific, so upset watching it here on Sky. I am reading the Boston marathon thread and think all the Boards guys are ok. Looking at the footage, it would appear the injuries are in the crowd rather than the runners. RIP to those who have died and praying the death toll doesn't increase.

ncmc wrote: »
    It's absolutely horrific, so upset watching it here on Sky. I am reading the Boston marathon thread and think all the Boards guys are ok. Looking at the footage, it would appear the injuries are in the crowd rather than the runners. RIP to those who have died and praying the death toll doesn't increase.
    Thank god for that! Pure gut wrenching! Thoughts with their families and friends!

Can't help noticing that there was 4.09 on the clock at the time of the explosions. That time after the start of DCM I was minutes from the finish line and Mrs D was waiting for me just beyond. So the people around that area were just like me and my family. That's pretty chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Just looking at it on the news now, can't believe it - its mad god help them all, injured, medics everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

It's just shocking. Awful scenes on sky news. Seems to be the spectators injured. Horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just heard about Boston on the radio when i was out for a run. Glad to hear the Boardsies are ok. That was the first thought I had.
    Horrible to think of the carnage that the explosions caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Can't help noticing that there was 4.09 on the clock at the time of the explosions. That time after the start of DCM I was minutes from the finish line and Mrs D was waiting for me just beyond. So the people around that area were just like me and my family. That's pretty chilling.

My exact thoughts, selfish but that's the first thing my mind went to as well.

God bless everyone there, runners, supporters & now the medical staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

New runner wrote: »
    Some good news for me this eve. My annual membership of leisure centre at my local hotel expired beginning March, n I couldn't get same deal I got last year so I couldn't justify the expense at this time, like everyone I'm sure, I'm finding things much tighter financially, so approached the hotel this morning and got the email address of the leisure centre manager n wrote to her asking ( ok begging) for sponsorship of use of leisure facilities until after the marathon which I'm doing as part of the Foyle hospice team, I explained that I currently couldn't find the funds to rejoin but prob would again later n said I'd publicly thank the hotel on Facebook if they granted me this, well shortly after sending it I received a reply saying they'd b happy to extend it until after the marathon, just ask friends to share their Facebook page. So I'm delighted. I know I could get a better deal and much better gym elsewhere but as this only 5 mins from my home it's great and handy, especially been a working single mum of 3 kids ( yeah I was traded in for much younger model 6 yrs ago, not a model literally lol) :) Know most ppl on here hate treadmills but living in a very hilly area I find the treadmill great fir recovery runs n also for intervals, have certainly missed it while running in all the recent winds! :(

Good for you New Runner, you're an inspiration to other women with your super running ;)
    Great result with the hotel, you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

New runner wrote: »

Single working mum of 3 kids finding time to put in a few miles is far more impressive than your haggling abilities (and they are pretty good too). I am in awe

guinang wrote: »
    Single working mum of 3 kids finding time to put in a few miles is far more impressive than your haggling abilities (and they are pretty good too). I am in awe

Somehow managed to miss that detail the first time I read your post - and I was impressed with your haggling even then! Good thinking and good for you for asking - don't ask, won't get!

• Advertisement

First run tonight since 6th April due to Hamstring problem. Got 4.5miles done . No adverse reaction from injury. Will ease myself back into over next couple of weeks but delighted to be back on the roads again.

RedRunner wrote: »
    First run tonight since 6th April due to Hamstring problem. Got 4.5miles done . No adverse reaction from injury. Will ease myself back into over next couple of weeks but delighted to be back on the roads again.

I had to pull out of the GIR after about one km. I just didn't think I could keep going with the calf. I had taken a pain killer and rubbed deep heat on it, it was taped up beforehand and stretched like a nut but could still feel it.

Just hearing about Boston, so glad the boardsies are OK but as has been said prob a lot of people just like us. So sad people killed RIP

rasher_m wrote: »
    I had to pull out of the GIR after about one km. I just didn't think I could keep going with the calf. I had taken a pain killer and rubbed deep heat on it, it was taped up beforehand and stretched like a nut but could still feel it.

Oh no...sorry to hear that Rasher.I know you had been having some injury woes too but that sounds like a real bummer yesterday. How is the calf today? and what's the plan now?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Oh no...sorry to hear that Rasher.I know you had been having some injury woes too but that sounds like a real bummer yesterday. How is the calf today? and what's the plan now?

Yeah ah I knew before I went up that I shouldn't bother. I can run but can feel it but not painfully at about 9.30 min miles but anything more and it starts becoming a bit more intense and I'd worry that something will snap or pull.
    I've loads of exercises which ive been doing religiously and i have more physio on Friday. This is the third session in three weeks.
    I may have to rest completely but I wanted to do the womens mini marathon so dont really want to do that.

Rasher_m sorry to hear your still struggling with calf. Hope you can resolve it, hard to be patient but best way is go easy like you are

Rasher_m sorry to hear ur having injury problems, u did right to pull out n not risk damaging it further. Hope it mends up soon. Really frustrating.
    Thanks all for the lovely comments too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I checked my plan this morning and I have to do 3miles, easy pace. I nearly fell out of bed. This 'cut down the mileage but don't cut the intensity of effort' period before a marathon is epic!

I haven't had 3 miles on a plan since HH1 last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Yeah ah I knew before I went up that I shouldn't bother. I can run but can feel it but not painfully at about 9.30 min miles but anything more and it starts becoming a bit more intense and I'd worry that something will snap or pull.
    I've loads of exercises which ive been doing religiously and i have more physio on Friday. This is the third session in three weeks.
    I may have to rest completely but I wanted to do the womens mini marathon so dont really want to do that.

Sorry to hear your having injury problems rasher_m.

I highlighted the bits above cos that was exactly what I was thinking for the last while.

The complete rest may be necessary. Sometimes you just end up resting a bit and then hurting it again, this cycle continues and before you know it, it may be acute and a repetitive injury. Then its a different ball game.

I'm having to bite the bullet myself, so I know how it feels. The question I asked myself was, "Do I want to run for years or months?", so I'm resting.

Sorry, that's really not what you'd like to hear I'm sure....tis an opinion is all and you will know yourself. The very best of luck with it all.

• Advertisement

sorry to hear you are having troubles. Sounds like in the long run rest might be the best way to shake this problem, as frustrating as that is.

Advertisement