Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I went downstairs this morning to find my six year old watching Sky news. (Stupidly I probably left the tv tuned to that channel when I went to bed.)

Before I left for work then he said it was a good thing I was in Paris last week rather than Boston this week. Thankfully he doesn't seem to realise that what went on over there is real people getting hurt and killed. Long live innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

coalshed wrote: »
    I went downstairs this morning to find my six year old watching Sky news. (Stupidly I probably left the tv tuned to that channel when I went to bed.)

Before I left for work then he said it was a good thing I was in Paris last week rather than Boston this week. Thankfully he doesn't seem to realise that what went on over there is real people getting hurt and killed. Long live innocence.

Yea it's scary how close someone we know could have been to this even thought it's so far away. I'm sure some of us had this in mind for next year etc. My wife pointed out they may have had NY in mind originally but as it was cancelled they moved to Boston.. just a theory, irrelevant now I suppose. So sad, especially with Children involved. marathon runners are generally good people with some involvement with Charity at some point, about as far from what you'd expect to become targets of terrorism. but these days there are no boundaries or limits to what people will do to one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

upthe19th wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your having injury problems rasher_m.

I highlighted the bits above cos that was exactly what I was thinking for the last while.

The complete rest may be necessary. Sometimes you just end up resting a bit and then hurting it again, this cycle continues and before you know it, it may be acute and a repetitive injury. Then its a different ball game.

I'm having to bite the bullet myself, so I know how it feels. The question I asked myself was, "Do I want to run for years or months?", so I'm resting.

Sorry, that's really not what you'd like to hear I'm sure....tis an opinion is all and you will know yourself. The very best of luck with it all.

Just read your log there, thats hard luck for you with the injury.
    I'm having some of your problems, the calf strain, then the shin splint probably from over compensating.
    I'm glad you've nothing broken or torn etc.
    Did your Physio give you any indication of the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Sorry to hear your injury hasn't cleared up yet Rasher, i'm sure frustrating doesn't even come close to it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

rasher_m wrote: »
    Just read your log there, thats hard luck for you with the injury.
    I'm having some of your problems, the calf strain, then the shin splint probably from over compensating.
    I'm glad you've nothing broken or torn etc.
    Did your Physio give you any indication of the problem?

As the fella would say, "we're following a definite line of enquiry".

I looked back and started piecing things together, as far back as DCM last year. It's a series of things and the increased training brought it to the surface.

We go back to the start and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Seems like the week for old injuries to show there ugly head, plantar fascia at me again. I can run but its quiet painful after, i've been rolling the crap out of my foot with a tennis ball to loosen it out. Its giving some relief at least. If any of you are into inspirational stuff check out 'Rudimental - Waiting All Night' on youtube. Story of Kurt Yaegar, actor & BMX cyclist. Had is leg amputated from below the knee and through hard work and determination got back walking and riding BMX's again. Music might not be to everyones liking, but i'm an old raver at heart!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    plantar fascia at me again
    crap :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Seems like the week for old injuries to show there ugly head, plantar fascia at me again. I can run but its quiet painful after, i've been rolling the crap out of my foot with a tennis ball to loosen it out. Its giving some relief at least. If any of you are into inspirational stuff check out 'Rudimental - Waiting All Night' on youtube. Story of Kurt Yaegar, actor & BMX cyclist. Had is leg amputated from below the knee and through hard work and determination got back walking and riding BMX's again. Music might not be to everyones liking, but i'm an old raver at heart!!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Great video, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Sorry to hear that, hope it settles down again quickly! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

crap :mad:

+1. Sorry to hear that dude. That's a good video alright. Im an auld raver myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear that Tang1 hope its just temporary. Had a bit of a niggle in left foot along the PF myself so I hope this is not the beginning of something. Don't think I could cope with another different injury to add to my list.

5 miles easy for me tonight no hamstring issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

No 4.15 pacers for Limerick. This kind of puts my plans awry a little as that was my original planned pace.

My training and previous race times says that I 'may' be able to just about push for 4hrs but I'm a bit scared that my DCM12 experience will return, when I went out at 4.15 and it really was too fast for my experience. There's quite a bit of doubt in my mind whether I could keep a 9.10min/mile pace up for the whole thing, even though I've done all my training in the 9.45 region.

At this stage 4.15 might be conservative but I want to enjoy the race and DCM13 was always my plan for <4

Hmmm, decisions decisions. If theres no pacers, and i'm going to be doing my own thing, perhaps run for 4.10 and see if there's a bit in the tank at the end for a faster finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Hmmm, decisions decisions. If theres no pacers, and i'm going to be doing my own thing, perhaps run for 4.10 and see if there's a bit in the tank at the end for a faster finish?

Howya Killian.

While pacers are undoubtedly a help. I don't think it should have such a huge baring on your target time. Stick to your plan and go for 4:15. Hold a conservative pace until 20 miles and then if you have something left in the tank, finish strong with everything you got! When your times start coming down you will get to a certain race where you will have to go it pacerless anyway. Plus, there will likely be people around you which will be going the same pace when it filters out after a couple of miles that you can group up with anyway and pace yerselves, so to speak.

BTW thanks for the messages on here during the week, catching up now.

One that falls, will rise again.

Very best of luck to everyone racing on the weekend. Might be in Wexford to support so will see some of you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

No 4.15 pacers for Limerick. This kind of puts my plans awry a little as that was my original planned pace.

My training and previous race times says that I 'may' be able to just about push for 4hrs but I'm a bit scared that my DCM12 experience will return, when I went out at 4.15 and it really was too fast for my experience. There's quite a bit of doubt in my mind whether I could keep a 9.10min/mile pace up for the whole thing, even though I've done all my training in the 9.45 region.

At this stage 4.15 might be conservative but I want to enjoy the race and DCM13 was always my plan for <4

Killian, just like blockic says stick with you plan, push on if feeling good but better to push on then try and hang on, in a marathon anyway!!!

Heres a link to help

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/pacebandcreator.cfm

Thanks for the replies. Stick to my own pace, finish & enjoy the race.

There, plan decided!

blockic wrote: »
    BTW thanks for the messages on here during the week, catching up now.

One that falls, will rise again.

Very best of luck to everyone racing on the weekend. Might be in Wexford to support so will see some of you then!

So when can we expect your report from Sunday? :)

Hope the recovery is going well for you btw

dazza21ie wrote: »
    So when can we expect your report from Sunday? :)

Will be at your doorstep over the next couple of days! :)

I was just thinking there about how much I've always admired my feet. Then I looked at my toes and started thinking what the running has done to them.
    I have two very ugly big toenails at the moment and one is actually scaring me.
    Now my sister told me that they will just fall off but I actually have a sore under one of the nails :(
    Is this normal, does anyone know?
    Sorry if anyone is disgusted :o

I was just thinking there about how much I've always admired my feet. Then I looked at my toes and started thinking what the running has done to them.
    Now my sister told me that they will just fall off but I actually have a sore under one of the nails :(

One of mine has gone all black if that makes you feel any better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That is the most bizzare post I've read on this forum.

Quite normal....if you're a runner or a ballet dancer :D Embrace the ugliness :D

One could post the picture that was on TRR or Myflipflops thread last year which shows it could be much worse but its very close to lunchtime to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Oh dear rasher_m you're in for trouble if you liked your pre-running feet! I was bridesmaid at a wedding recently, meaning pretty shoes with big toes on show...having lost the big right one a few months ago (it had blackened after DCM) it had only half grown back and looks ridiculous! The answer for the wedding was false toe nails :eek: ...apologies to anyone having lunch right now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Killian, I could have written this post! The biggest thing I want to change in Limerick is a strong finish as I struggled with the last 8 miles of DCM and promised myself I wouldn't go through that again. I too had originally thought 4.10 in Limerick, sub 4 DCM 13, but training has been going well and I'm going for sub 4 in Limerick...However, I know I lack the discipline to hold back in the early miles when I'm feeling fantastic and pay at the end..I prove this to myself every LSR and in a HM a few weeks ago.

So thank you for posting, I too will try to take the advice you got and act on it...make a plan and stick to it...much easier said than done in my case :rolleyes: Oh and I'm probably in taper madness, but am now questioning my fitness, kicking myself for running LSRs too fast and some speedwork too slow, and generally feeling like I haven't made the best of the training...all normal feelings at this stage I suppose...

Gavlor wrote: »
    That is the most bizzare post I've read on this forum.

You think that was bizaare, I've been trying to stop myself from googling 'sores under your big toe nail diseases', in case I really wind myself up! :pac:
    dazza21ie wrote: »
    One could post the picture that was on TRR or Myflipflops thread last year which shows it could be much worse but its very close to lunchtime to do that!

I remember now that you mention it Dazza, I feel better already but a bit sick :)
    Runchick wrote: »
    Oh dear rasher_m you're in for trouble if you liked your pre-running feet! I was bridesmaid at a wedding recently, meaning pretty shoes with big toes on show...having lost the big right one a few months ago (it had blackened after DCM) it had only half grown back and looks ridiculous! The answer for the wedding was false toe nails :eek: ...apologies to anyone having lunch right now :P

I can imagine what it looked like Runchick, I'm wondering myself how unsightly mine will look again the summer. The thoughts of gluing false toe nails over bald ones makes my toe skin crawl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Definitely normal like others have said. Luckily my big toes have escaped damage but my second and third toes have suffered. Luckily I don't have to wear open toed shoes or paint my nails or use false toenails! The joy of being a man!...one of the joys should I say:D

Best of luck to everyone racing at the weekend :D

speed session done - 4 x 1m @ 7.30 - wrecked dot com

Working in Limerick next week - looking forward to doing my last speed session on a proper track in the University!

...its the little things.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow :D

Right back at you CM, what's the target?

Advertisement