Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Right back at you CM, what's the target?
    Gold - 41:xx
    Silver - 42:xx
    Bronze - 43:xx

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Platinum - 39:xx???

ncmc wrote: »
    Platinum - 39:xx???
    Haha :D Definitely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Good luck tomorrow. My goal is pretty similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

4 miles @8:02 for me today on a sunny morning in Dublin. Best of luck to anyone racing this weekend.

• Advertisement

Good luck tomorrow. My goal is pretty similar.
    Good stuff. I'll keep an eye out for you....I'm leaving the garmin at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Time is premium this week,had been hoping to do my 18mile lsr before the weekend but due to time constraints I didn't manage to do it:(,although might be able to do it on Monday but with the week thats in it & just reading about injuries cropping up I realise that I am lucky to be able to run when I can:).

Wishing a speedy recovery to all those carryimg injuries & wishing all those racing this weekend the best of luck.
    It'll be my turn to wait with a cuppa & the obligatory packet of fig rolls;) & wait for the race reports to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Good luck racers. I'll be in wexford hopefully, so if you see a lad on crutches roaring at ya....that'll be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend too. Hope the weather is as good for ye around the country as here, perfect racing conditions .

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Best of luck to all racing over the weekend!
    6.3m done in Newcastle with a hangover n lack of sleep :( not good!

• Advertisement

42:50 :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done K, great running.

That is super running, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great job cM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good stuff CM. another target down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fantastic time c_m, you're flying :D

Congratulations on your Silver Medal;)

That's a great run.Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

47:55 for 10k today, pb of 6 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

41:50 today at k-club 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great times folks, lovely running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Hi everyone
    Definitely a bit late joining the party here but what the hell! Don't know how I missed this thread.
    Dublin 2012 was my first marathon. Really enjoyed it. Didn't have a goal other than to finish and I came in at 4:57. Was pretty happy with that and signed up for paris marathon soon after. Delighted with my time there of 4:26 but feel I have plenty of room for improvement. Between Dublin and Paris I have done a few 10k's improving my time with each one getting down to 52.11. I did Portsmouth half marathon in 1:57 which I was over the moon with but a month or so later I did Colchester half in 1:52:11. Delighted doesn't cover how I felt after that!!
    Anyway I really really think its time to up my game and try my best for a sub 4 hour for Dublin 2013. I would also like to gwt a sub 50 minute 10k if thats not too ambitious! Oh and a sub 1:50 half marathon too! Not sure if I'll be able but will try my very best. I've just moved back to Ireland and am going to join a running club in a couple of weeks. Never been part of one before but im sure it'll really help me improve. Im in south county dublin so thinking Bray runners will be my best bet. Trying to figure out the best training plan also-Thinking of one the Hal Higgdon advanced.
    Looking forward to Hearing from the more experienced runners on here. All advice will be gratefully received! I'm off to try and read through this thread now
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Definitely a bit late joining the party here but what the hell! Don't know how I missed this thread.
    Dublin 2012 was my first marathon. Really enjoyed it. Didn't have a goal other than to finish and I came in at 4:57. Was pretty happy with that and signed up for paris marathon soon after. Delighted with my time there of 4:26 but feel I have plenty of room for improvement. Between Dublin and Paris I have done a few 10k's improving my time with each one getting down to 52.11. I did Portsmouth half marathon in 1:57 which I was over the moon with but a month or so later I did Colchester half in 1:52:11. Delighted doesn't cover how I felt after that!!
    Anyway I really really think its time to up my game and try my best for a sub 4 hour for Dublin 2013. I would also like to gwt a sub 50 minute 10k if thats not too ambitious! Oh and a sub 1:50 half marathon too! Not sure if I'll be able but will try my very best. I've just moved back to Ireland and am going to join a running club in a couple of weeks. Never been part of one before but im sure it'll really help me improve. Im in south county dublin so thinking Bray runners will be my best bet. Trying to figure out the best training plan also-Thinking of one the Hal Higgdon advanced.
    Looking forward to Hearing from the more experienced runners on here. All advice will be gratefully received! I'm off to try and read through this thread now
    :-)

Welcome Sara, you've made great progress so far! 30 mins off the marathon time in that short period is excellent going. Keep it up. Hope you'll enjoy the craic and support around here. Really keeps you on your toes!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    47:55 for 10k today, pb of 6 minutes!

Huge PB over 10K...well done

12 miles done today. First long run in ages. Injury holding up well, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

RedRunner wrote: »
    Huge PB over 10K...well done

+1 you're ramping up nicely dazza.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

19k LSR for me today- have managed to complete a full week (thankfully it was a step-back) after some knee problems forced me to cancel most of the previous week's runs. Things feel back to normal so hopefully it will be OK. Six weeks to Cork!

A lazy copy and paste from my own log - apologies to those who have to read my long winded nonsense twice!

Wexford HM race report - AKA Tough day at the office - AKA 'you call this flat!!!'

Alarm went off at 6:30 this morning eek.png and I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed to be greeted with pouring rain. I knew it was due to clear later so I wasn't too worried. Took us two hours to drive to Wexford so was registered at just after 9. Registration was a breeze I must say, pooched around for a bit and went for a warm up jog. Met StephenRooney in his Boards top, and did a short warm up with him. Was aiming for 1:40 as you know which I felt was a tough but achievable challenge. We walked over to the start and met the Boards cheerleaders there (Dilbert and Upthe19th - he really is on crutches the poor thing, I thought he was messing!). The start was really well done and it started bang on time after a minutes silence for Boston. It didn't feel like there was as many people running as there was, so well done to the organisers for that. The sun decided to come out just as we started.

The first couple of miles were fine, I felt there was a quite an uphill drag at mile 3, you would hardly notice it in a car, but I could definitely feel it deadening the legs (I think I just invented a word biggrin.png) It seemed to go on for ever. The Boards cheerleaders were at the first water station to say hello which was nice. The portion of the race through the castle grounds was nice, although it doubled back on itself a fair bit and there was a fair few tight turns and gravel to deal with. At this stage I was holding 7:30 miles fairly consistently, I had got ahead of Stephen as he had to stop and stretch but he had caught up at this stage (and was soon to leave me for dust redface.png)

It was at this stage (mile 7) that I began to struggle. The heat was starting to get to me (sorry blockic, I'm sure you're doing a rolleyes.png as you read that!) but the sun was beating down, and I honestly can't remember the last time I ran without a jacket was - never mind had sun on my face! Felt sorry for the folks that had baselayers and gloves on (didn't slow that Stephen fella down though!) I was beginning to slow down and my 7:30's were becoming 8:00 (I think I even had a 8:16 in there redface.png) I knew a 1:40 was dead in the water, but was just concentrating on keeping ahead of the 1:45 pacers and I figured a 1:42/43 was most likely. I really struggled through the last 3 miles, I was composing a strongly worded email to the organisers about this so called 'flat' course in my head! I heard someone call it 'undulating' well, maybe it was just me, but it seemed to undulate up a lot more than it undulated down! I was even finding the 8:00 pace tough at this stage. I tried to finish strong, but i'm not going to lie, I felt totally spent. Was pretty disappointed to cross the line in 1:43. Was lovely to meet Dilbert, Upthe19th (minus the promised fig rolls) Guining (sp) who finished in something fantastic like 1:30, Stephen who got a mighty impressive 1:38 with injury! and of course Mr thread of the year - Blockic pacman.gif

Could I have done better on a flatter course? Maybe. But I am pretty good on hills, I have quite a few hills on my regular route. I don't think I was tired from Thursday, the legs felt pretty rested. I think I have to concede that 3:30 in Cork is pie in the sky at this stage. Even the optimistic Mr McMillan has me at 3:37 for the full. I think a better aim at this stage would be a strong 3:40, get a GFA for London and have a sub 3:30 as my next goal. I think if I go for a 3:30, I risk having a real blow out and not enjoying the race. maybe that's me taking the lazy way out and not pushing myself enough, but I am a bit of a cautious soul, I think i'd rather have an attainable goal and smash it rather than an optimistic goal and fail. If i'd gone out today looking for a 1:45, i'd have been delighted with my time. Same result, different emotions.

Positives for the day, saw some of Wexford and New Ross, have never been in Wexford before and it is a stunning place, will definitely be back to explore more now I know it's not far away. Got to meet lots of lovely Boardsies, who make excellent cheerleaders - with or without the pom poms. I got a 5 minute PB - I suppose a PB is a PB, but my last half was in August and 5 mins doesn't feel like much reward for all those miles run, all that running in the dark, rain and wind.

Gosh, sorry for the long post, should have a warning in the title! It was a good day all in all and the race was well organised (if a bit falsly marketed!) I don't think i'd do it again as I didn't feel it was value for money, but I did enjoy the day and it was great meeting the lads. Positive head back on and onwards and upwards biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Great running everyone.

Ncmc I did wexford last year, they really need to drop the flatness claims. Well done on the pb.

After a wedding last night in Adare Manor I returned to running today with a too-soon-after-breakfast 4 miler.

Fantastic run ncmc, sounds like a tough course and you still managed to hang on and run a great PB, well done :D

• Advertisement

I ran this 10km in Belfast today. I ran it last year too, and that was my first race and the very start of my running career so I was keen to get back and see if I've improved! Last year I ran it in 54:xx so was pleased with myself today to come in with a chip time of 48:08 :D My 10km PB before today was 52.48 so a decent PB and a good day at the office.

However, I realised that I really need to start getting my pacing right. As always I started out too fast and got gradually slower, 6 mile splits were 7.11, 7.24, 7.40, 7.51, 7.53 and 7.58. I didn't actually look at the Garmin (read c_m's log from yesterday and thought I'd give that a go!) so had no idea what my pace was but just knew by feel that it was too fast at the start. So here dawns the start of my new running mantra...in races from here on I'm starting conservative. I really want to know what it feels like to finish strong :rolleyes:

Compared to the same run last year I definitely felt a lot more comfortable. Yes, I felt uncomfortable at times but I didn't push myself in to the really unbearable stuff so think I need to work on this also, basically stop being a sissy and dig deeper :o

Sunday racing means LSR pushed to tomorrow...16 miles in the evening will be so weird but even I won't attempt to get that one under the belt first thing :eek:

Advertisement