Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    I have been doing a bit of post race introspection and examining what may have went wrong and stopped me hitting my goal. There are a few things I think I could have improved upon, namely nutrition in the days prior to and the morning of the race. There were some external factors like a more difficult course than prepared for and I struggled with the warmer temperatures. But I think the main issue is my mental preparation and determination during the race. Even my husband said to me this morning that he had never seen me so negative about a race (I believe I may have said that if it wasn’t for Boards I would have gone home before the race even started!) I think this was the same in Ballycotton (another disappointing result) I am beginning to realise that I am beaten in these races before I even set foot on the course. Then when the going invariably gets tough, I don’t have the mental strength to combat it.

The funny thing is, I would consider myself a positive person in real life, but I have just got into a negative frame of mind in races and it’s becoming a self fulfilling prophecy – negative thoughts = bad result = more negative thoughts for the next race etc etc. I also find I have quite negative thoughts about a LT or PMP session in training and once again, the more negative thoughts, the more I find them difficult, then the more I dread the next one.

So any tips on changing my mindset? Any hints on dealing with negative thoughts? What devices do you guys use to dig deep when the going gets tough? Any books/websites/podcasts/techniques people can recommend?

I’m sure I’m not the only one who suffers from this and with goal races coming up, hopefully a few people will benefit from peoples hints and tips. If I don’t get in the right frame of mind before the marathon then I think all the training in the world won’t get me the result I want. So I need your help Boards!
    Interesting question and one that I've been thinking about all afternoon. First off I think its useful to have a few different goals for yourself. I would usually think of 3 outcomes
    - a result I would accept e.g a pb
    - one that I would be pleased with because I've had to work hard for it and its better than expected and
    - one that I would be over the moon with because its beyond what I've shown I'm capable of.

Then it's all about confidence as far as I'm concerned. And confidence is something that's there or it's not. You can't fool yourself that your confident just because you say it. It comes from within. It comes from knowing that you've prepared well, feeling well in yourself on the day and being positive in your approach to the race. If your confident when you come under pressure you'll be able to deal with it and keep going.

I also like this motto "if I can see it in my head, I can hold it in my hand". I never think about failure. All I think about is achieving my goals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just logging today's miles there and notice the totals for the year aren't adding this week. PM we need you :)

16 miles, at teatime...how do you evening runners do that all the time...all that traffic, congestion, railway crossings that are never open...gimme 6am running any day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    Just logging today's miles there and notice the totals for the year aren't adding this week. PM we need you :)

Noticed that earlier too, but seen others weren't adding on either so knew wasn't only mine n that maybe it wud total up this eve, obviously hasn't. PM with his expertise will sort it I'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

16 miles, at teatime...how do you evening runners do that all the time...all that traffic, congestion, railway crossings that are never open...gimme 6am running any day :p
    New runner wrote: »

Noticed that earlier too, but seen others weren't adding on either so knew wasn't only mine n that maybe it wud total up this eve, obviously hasn't. PM with his expertise will sort it I'm sure :)

I've just put in a temp fix there until the boss arrives to inspect it and sort it out. :D It was tidied up last week and things got a bit mixed up. They should be OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I have been doing a bit of post race introspection and examining what may have went wrong and stopped me hitting my goal...

Great responses to ncmc's questions.

FWIW, this is the way I look at it:

1. Have you put in the work?
    2. Do you have a realistic target time (i.e. based on a recent race where you ran hard)?
    3. Are the race conditions conducive to achieving this time?
    4. Have you looked after yourself leading up to the race?

If so, you're entitled to expect your target time and to go for it. The mantra I use myself is simple: "trust the training, do justice to the work".

As for positive thoughts, I enjoy the buzz of racing and see it as the reward for doing all those hard, lonely training runs. Same with long runs - you can only do them because you've built up to them, so celebrate that.

All the best. You are being too hard on yourself, I think, especially as you made a PB after running 20 miles 2 days before. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Hi All, I'm a lurker on this thread!
    I think we have to keep in perspective all of this. Even if we don't hit PBs every time we go out and race, or are disappointed in how a run or a race goes, we have to remember that we're doing great mileage and we're out there running, when the majority of the population are not. Let's not lose sight of that - we're looking after our health, and that should be intrinsically rewarding and celebrated. At the end of the day, even if we run 20 miles slower than we had hoped or we missed out on a PB by a few sections or minutes, we should remember that we still ran that race or finished that run.
    The key thing is to remember to enjoy it, if we get caught up with times/targets etc, it may undo the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

5.5 miles easy tonight in almost tropical conditions....ahhh this is the life!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Sure is nice out red.
    I made an attempt at few miles recovery. Walked half of it. My legs are very tender. Left side is not in good shape, hamstring especially. Is this normal after a half? Can see me doing much this week. A rub down might be required. Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sure is nice out red.
    I made an attempt at few miles recovery. Walked half of it. My legs are very tender. Left side is not in good shape, hamstring especially. Is this normal after a half? Can see me doing much this week. A rub down might be required. Should I be worried?

Go get a rubdown. I can recommend someone in town who is cheap and gives you a full hour.PM me for details if you want.I'd have thought you should be recovered at this stage in the legs.Wouldn't get too worried yet. You've got plenty of miles in the legs already, maybe you just need a rest. The weekends work obviously took a lot out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Try not to worry yet Stephen, you gave it everything on Sunday and you were already carrying a slight niggle, so it's not entirely surprising that you're still feeling a bit dead in the legs. Take it handy this week, scrap the V02 session tomorrow and even postpone the pmp miles til next week if you're not feeling 100% by then.

I wonder is a rub down a good idea if your muscles are very tender? Maybe get him/her to go easy if you do decide to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Try not to worry yet Stephen, you gave it everything on Sunday and you were already carrying a slight niggle, so it's not entirely surprising that you're still feeling a bit dead in the legs. Take it handy this week, scrap the V02 session tomorrow and even postpone the pmp miles til next week if you're not feeling 100% by then.

I wonder is a rub down a good idea if your muscles are very tender? Maybe get him/her to go easy if you do decide to get one.

Sound advice except for the last line!!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Go get a rubdown. I can recommend someone in town who is cheap and gives you a full hour.PM me for details if you want.I'd have thought you should be recovered at this stage in the legs.Wouldn't get too worried yet. You've got plenty of miles in the legs already, maybe you just need a rest. The weekends work obviously took a lot out of you.

Thanks red, I have a good lad who works from home so it's cheap too. Just rang him. He's an experienced sub 3 runner too so knows the score, going to see him after work tomorrow! Hopefully just a tight glute or something bl

Yea ill skip the harder sessions until im feeling strong again. This lad doesn't go easy! He is old school and goes to town on me, but always does the trick.

I hope it's just sore muscles and not a lingering injury. Will update tmw.

tang1 wrote: »
    If any of you are into inspirational stuff check out 'Rudimental - Waiting All Night' on youtube. Story of Kurt Yaegar, actor & BMX cyclist. Had is leg amputated from below the knee and through hard work and determination got back walking and riding BMX's again. Music might not be to everyones liking, but i'm an old raver at heart!!

Tang cheers for posting this last week, the bloody song has been stuck in my head ever since!! :pac: Good video too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »
    Tang cheers for posting this last week, the bloody song has been stuck in my head ever since!! :pac: Good video too!

See some of us old people have half decent taste in music!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What's the plans for the summer races tang?

What's the plans for the summer races tang?

Try get over this dose of PF i have at present first, have it in both bloody feet now. I can run no problem but its after the running when the pain hits, i've a 5k in Kells Sunday. After that i might do another 5k close to Mullingar at beginning of May leading up to Strawberry Half Marathon in Wexford on 26th of May. Of course that could all go out the window if this PF gets worse. How about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

RedRunner wrote: »
    5.5 miles easy tonight in almost tropical conditions....ahhh this is the life!:)

Its great RedRunner isn't it...its like coming out of hibernation :D

I don't know about you other Limerickians but isn't this supposed to be taper time..I'm wrecked :eek: P&D you'd better be worth it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

P&D you'd better be worth it :rolleyes:

Ain't that so!

Cue Gavlor...

Try get over this dose of PF i have at present first, have it in both bloody feet now. I can run no problem but its after the running when the pain hits, i've a 5k in Kells Sunday. After that i might do another 5k close to Mullingar at beginning of May leading up to Strawberry Half Marathon in Wexford on 26th of May. Of course that could all go out the window if this PF gets worse. How about yourself?

Possible 10k on 4th May - will decide nearer the time.

Torn between the 5km in Enfield on 21st May and the Tenerure 5M on 19th.
    Nothing major planned for June except the DCM Race Serious 5m (already!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Hi everyone, first run back yesterday after 4 weeks of no running due to a nasty calf injury. Has been very hit and miss since DCM 2012, have been sick quite a bit and just when I'd be getting back to a decent running routine, I'd get sick again :( Has seemed 1 step forward 2 steps back for quite a while. So fresh start, brighter evenings, nicer weather, I'm hoping for DCM 2013 now. Is there still a spreadsheet going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Its great RedRunner isn't it...its like coming out of hibernation :D

I don't know about you other Limerickians but isn't this supposed to be taper time..I'm wrecked :eek: P&D you'd better be worth it :rolleyes:

Im not following P+D but am in the second week of my taper. Did a 6 miler last night at an easy enough pace and was wrecked throughout! Goal times are starting to go out the window.

Torn between the 5km in Enfield on 21st May and the Tenerure 5M on 19th.

You do realise that if you don't run Enfield a certain Speedy J(aka blockic) will say your avoiding a Smackdown??!!

You do realise that if you don't run Enfield a certain Speedy J(aka blockic) will say your avoiding a Smackdown??!!

Here here.

I think J is doing some double dating.
    Did he not already say he was doing the Terenure 5m?

I'd rather do the 5k midweek, but the 5m will help me with the main thing.
    And we all know about the main thing don't we.......... :)

And another thing Tangy boy, I don't see the Enfield race on your list, after all it was you who suggested it a while back.......hurrmmph

I think J is doing some double dating.
    Did he not already say he was doing the Terenure 5m?

I'd rather do the 5k midweek, but the 5m will help me with the main thing.
    And we all know about the main thing don't we.......... :)

Nope, never committed to the Terenure 5m. I was just an interested party! ;)

But look, which ever one you do, I'll hunt you down anyway. You will need to come up with another handicap for the 5m though if you do that!

Doesn't bother me too much, I'll leave the auld fella decide sure! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Enfield is a very fast course lads but I am also pretty sure it is short.
    Last year the maximum I say anyone measuring it was 4.95km, on some garmins it didn't even make 3 miles...Still a great race but I wouldn't count it as a legitimate PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

menoscemo wrote: »
    Enfield is a very fast course lads but I am also pretty sure it is short.
    Last year the maximum I say anyone measuring it was 4.95km, on some garmins it didn't even make 3 miles...Still a great race but I wouldn't count it as a legitimate PB.

Sounds like the perfect PB course to me! :pac:

• Advertisement

And another thing Tangy boy, I don't see the Enfield race on your list, after all it was you who suggested it a while back.......hurrmmph

I'll be there with bells on dont worry, cant miss that!!

Advertisement