Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Still running, just about. Very time poor at the moment while away in Limerick for the week working.

PM - I'll reply to your PM soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Reading all the posts about runs and races with envy. Only another week before I get back running after my surgery. Might chance a short run this wend. Miss it so much. Seems like there is loads more people out running these days. Must be the weather getting better or else I am just focusing on it too much. Anyway next race for me is mini marathon and managed to qualify to enter in runner section based on my Raheny result . Yeah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

dechol wrote: »
    Reading all the posts about runs and races with envy. Only another week before I get back running after my surgery. Might chance a short run this wend. Miss it so much. Seems like there is loads more people out running these days. Must be the weather getting better or else I am just focusing on it too much. Anyway next race for me is mini marathon and managed to qualify to enter in runner section based on my Raheny result . Yeah!!

Massive +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

So taper time...eh no-one warned me that means eat and eat and eat and never seem full...if I'm not eating I'm thinking about it...never had an appetite like it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Best thing that happened since I took up running is discovering peanut butter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

How many chocolate bars are to many, jaysus i'm not even training for a marathon and i'm eating the doors off the presses in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Runchick wrote: »
    So taper time...eh no-one warned me that means eat and eat and eat and never seem full...if I'm not eating I'm thinking about it...never had an appetite like it :eek:

I hear ya, the carb lust is all consuming if you can excuse the bad pun. I'm desk bound quite a bit at work these days also so the temptation to sit and scoff is magnified even more! That and going bat**** mental over the fact I still cant decide what pace I'm gonna run the fecking thing at are the story of my life these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I hear ya, the carb lust is all consuming if you can excuse the bad pun. I'm desk bound quite a bit at work these days also so the temptation to sit and scoff is magnified even more! That and going bat**** mental over the fact I still cant decide what pace I'm gonna run the fecking thing at are the story of my life these days!

Thank god it's not just me then, the pace dilemma is driving me nuts too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    How many chocolate bars are to many, jaysus i'm not even training for a marathon and i'm eating the doors off the presses in the house.
    In my experience eating both a kitkat and a small mars bar is justifiable but tucking into a 6 pack of purple snacks in one sitting (which I may have accidentally done yesterday) is bordering on the verge of piggery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Steroo wrote: »
    Best thing that happened since I took up running is discovering peanut butter

Just to jump in here- +1 peanut butter is amazing and as an American I consider it my birthright to love it lol... Dunno what kind you are using but the American brands "Jiff" and "Skippy" (lol) are both miles better than anything produced this side of the Atlantic (I very rarely say this as am a big Irish produce fan). They are available around Dublin- worth it to get your hands on a jar and see what you think!

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    Just to jump in here- +1 peanut butter is amazing and as an American I consider it my birthright to love it lol... Dunno what kind you are using but the American brands "Jiff" and "Skippy" (lol) are both miles better than anything produced this side of the Atlantic (I very rarely say this as am a big Irish produce fan). They are available around Dublin- worth it to get your hands on a jar and see what you think!

Thanks ill keep an eye out for them!
    I had panda and now I have Aldi brand and I am really impressed with it, nice and crunchy, did you try it?

In my experience eating both a kitkat and a small mars bar is justifiable but tucking into a 6 pack of purple snacks in one sitting (which I may have accidentally done yesterday) is bordering on the verge of piggery :D

Oh dear K, well at least you're burning it off....I'm not and I'm eating like hell.

A serious level of Sugar High Intensely Tasty Eating going on at the moment on my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

upthe19th wrote: »
    Oh dear K, well at least you're burning it off....I'm not and I'm eating like hell.

A serious level of Sugar High Intensely Tasty Eating going on at the moment on my end.

Sure there is always a serious level of ****e going on in Wexford J! Yer not called the yellow bellies for nawthing :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Sure there is always a serious level of ****e going on in Wexford J! Yer not called the yellow bellies for nawthing :pac:

I think that strawberry hm pacing gig just got a whole lot tougher;)

upthe19th wrote: »
    I think that strawberry hm pacing gig just got a whole lot tougher;)

I'll bring fig rolls, unlike some people! :rolleyes: :D

I'll bring fig rolls, unlike some people! :rolleyes: :D

It was an honest mistake, ncmc will remember the next time:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    On a side note, anyone interested in grabbing a feed in Limerick the night before the marathon? I guess we'll all be collecting our numbers on Saturday. I'm staying in a B & B in Castletroy on Sat pm but will be going in search of food (pasta, out of tradition) before the night gets too late.

Anyone else interested in this please add your name on the glr thread and +1's are more than welcome. Will prob book restaurant this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did BHAA RTE 5 mile race today. New PB...see race report here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84361524#post84361524

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Went over to the dark side and had a very early run this morning. I coined the phrase career_move o' clock to describe it earlier. :) Passed a group of people staggering home from a night out. They looked at me like I was a lunatic. Genuinely appalled to see someone running at that hour of the morning. :D

I've a lot more respect for you early runners after it though. Can't imagine doing it regularly !

So my head is saying I need to completely cut out junk, chocolate, biscuits and hardest of all ... Alcohol. It's 5 weeks to marathon. Feels like its gonna be hard! Sad I know. Will it make much difference? I tattoo much chocolate and cake and biscuits :)
    Will I survive without sugar buzz? What does everyone else do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'd rather cut off a limb than give up chocolate. What's the point of all those miles if you can't stuff yourself with empty calories! Alcohol I can give up without too many problems. Haven't had a drink in 3 weeks, but I'm on holiday next week so will probably have a couple.

I'll probably watch the calorie intake during taper as I don't want to put on weight, but life is too short to give up chocolate altogether :) and I won't drink during taper for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Steroo wrote: »
    So my head is saying I need to completely cut out junk, chocolate, biscuits and hardest of all ... Alcohol. It's 5 weeks to marathon. Feels like its gonna be hard! Sad I know. Will it make much difference? I tattoo much chocolate and cake and biscuits :)
    Will I survive without sugar buzz? What does everyone else do?

The one thing I'll say is that if you are planning on cutting out the nice stuff, then do it gradually. You're already asking enough of your body without going cold turkey on sugar.

I didn't cut any of it out, just beer :(

Haven't had a glass of wine in weeks, though I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I haven't and won't give up chocolate. Why would you?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Haven't had a glass of wine in weeks, though I'm not much of a drinker anyway. I haven't and won't give up chocolate. Why would you?

Ok! So no drink but a few treats. Feel better already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think it all depends tbh. I find even a small amount of alcohol affects my sleep pattern so that's why I would avoid it. But for most people I can't imagine a glass of wine or a couple of bottles of beer would do any harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ncmc wrote: »
    I think it all depends tbh. I find even a small amount of alcohol affects my sleep pattern so that's why I would avoid it. But for most people I can't imagine a glass of wine or a couple of bottles of beer would do any harm!

That's what you get for drinking carlsberg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Have a crate of beer untouched since Xmas :-[ .
    I find as regards food if you can eat decent meals with lots of veg & decent portions of fruit during the day it'll keep most of the hunger pangs away.
    That said after a long run its nice to have some chocolate or a bag of salt & vinegar crisps just to replace lost salt etc ;-) or so I tell myself anyway .

docjewel wrote: »
    That said after a long run its nice to have some chocolate or a bag of salt & vinegar crisps just to replace lost salt etc ;-) or so I tell myself anyway .

Speaking of long runs, we will have our first DCM 2012 student complete the 1000 mile challenge in the very near future! That right doc? :) Some man for mileage!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Speaking of long runs, we will have our first DCM 2012 student complete the 1000 mile challenge in the very near future! That right doc? :) Some man for mileage!

Almost there,but won't be celebrating till I get the 1000mile mark;-) (won't be able tun next Sat or Sun so fingers crossed will have completed the challenge by Friday ;-))

• Advertisement

Either way it's savage running lad. Savage.

Advertisement