Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Less than a week to Limerick :eek: Feeling a bit tired to be honest but trusting the plan and hoping to be fresh enough by Sunday. I've been carrying a few niggles throughout this training cycle and always thought I'd be out injured by now but to my surprise here I am, race ready...all that needs to be done this week is getting the head in the right place and believing I have a sub 4 in me :rolleyes: Just saw a weather forecast for next Sunday in Limerick and it looks perfect :D now to figure out what the hell I'm gonna wear...:p Always thought second marathon would be far less exciting than first, but I can't blooming wait :D Bring it on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm back!!

Tough week on the feet all last week in Limerick and only 1 7m run done so I'm a little undercooked for next Sunday - but hey, that's the way it goes and I'm looking forward to it. Given the run in, I've settled on 4.15 for a target and will run accordingly. The mind says I should approach the line fresh as a daisy :D

Dilbert, I'll reply to your PM shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I've really just been keeping things ticking over since DCM12. I've managed to get my PBs down over 5k and 10k and am gearing up for the Limerick half next week. Training hasn't been ideal but I still think I'm in good enough shape to dip under my PB of 1:39.

Planning to take on the Portumna half in June and then its into full DCM13 mode. Best of luck to all of you taking on the marathon in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Can't help noticing that there was 4.09 on the clock at the time of the explosions. That time after the start of DCM I was minutes from the finish line and Mrs D was waiting for me just beyond. So the people around that area were just like me and my family. That's pretty chilling.
    Runchick wrote: »
    Less than a week to Limerick :eek: Feeling a bit tired to be honest but trusting the plan and hoping to be fresh enough by Sunday. I've been carrying a few niggles throughout this training cycle and always thought I'd be out injured by now but to my surprise here I am, race ready...all that needs to be done this week is getting the head in the right place and believing I have a sub 4 in me :rolleyes: Just saw a weather forecast for next Sunday in Limerick and it looks perfect :D now to figure out what the hell I'm gonna wear...:p Always thought second marathon would be far less exciting than first, but I can't blooming wait :D Bring it on:D

U will do great runchick, I know u will, sub 4 b no bother to u, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not looking great for me - had to abandon yesterday's 32k (20m) LSR half way through with sore left ankle. It started acting up after about 11k and I tried to push through but it just got too much and I was worried about doing long term damage. Was way down the Castleknock end of the Phoenix Park and had to walk out of there and get two buses back to where I'd started. By the time I got off the bus the ankle had seized right up, very sore and basically I'm immobilised. Can't put any weight on it at all.

Will rest for a day or two and see what happens, but at this point I've now missed two of the planned three 32k LSRs. Not looking great for Cork.

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    Not looking great for me - had to abandon yesterday's 32k (20m) LSR half way through with sore left ankle. It started acting up after about 11k and I tried to push through but it just got too much and I was worried about doing long term damage. Was way down the Castleknock end of the Phoenix Park and had to walk out of there and get two buses back to where I'd started. By the time I got off the bus the ankle had seized right up, very sore and basically I'm immobilised. Can't put any weight on it at all.

Will rest for a day or two and see what happens, but at this point I've now missed two of the planned three 32k LSRs. Not looking great for Cork.

Nightmare murph :( Are you going to see a physio? I sprained my ankle 7 weeks out from DCM and was wearing an ankle brace for weeks leading up to the race. Thought I was out for sure but got through ok with modified training under the physio's guidance...only ever managed one 20 mile LSR. Might be worth booking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Ah crap sorry to hear that Murph, get yourself to a physio pronto, there's still time to make that start line. I do most of my long runs in the park too, can be lonely old spot if you have to pull up fooked. Has this been creeping up on you for a while or did you get a one off sprain type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’d second what Runchick said, get thee to a physio asap! Hopefully it’s nothing serious and a bit of R.I.C.E will sort it out. I wouldn’t worry too much about missing a couple of LSR’s, you still have time to get a 20 mile in if the ankle holds up. Most of us only had one 20 mile done heading into DCM and you would be coming off a higher mileage base overall for Cork. Try not to worry til you get your ankle looked at, I certainly wouldn’t give up hope just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Hi Folks - finally got to get my account sorted not bad going after approx 12months of 'lurking'.Sooo......DCM 2012 graduate and guys I cant say how much help your information has been to date - its like a bible at this stage!Plan is I'm ready to go for Limerick Marathon on Sunday - had a mild scare there last week and needed physio for a tight calf on Friday - boy did he make me feel the pain - sat was no way was I going to do a marathon - today its bring it on -)))I'm hoping to bump in to some of you guys at the startline on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

SouthMan wrote: »
    Hi Folks - finally got to get my account sorted not bad going after approx 12months of 'lurking'.Sooo......DCM 2012 graduate and guys I cant say how much help your information has been to date - its like a bible at this stage!Plan is I'm ready to go for Limerick Marathon on Sunday - had a mild scare there last week and needed physio for a tight calf on Friday - boy did he make me feel the pain - sat was no way was I going to do a marathon - today its bring it on -)))I'm hoping to bump in to some of you guys at the startline on Sunday.

Good stuff, what time are you aiming for??

• Advertisement

Put it to you this way - myself & Killian could be rubbing shoulders at some stage -))

I'll be interested to see how the P&D followers get on on Sunday. I am losing a little bit of faith in the plan tbh, from what I can see, with 5 weeks to go, there are no more PMP runs (bar 2 miles dress rehearsal the week before) yet there are V02 max runs every week. This is despite them saying in the book that the V02 runs aren't as important for marathon training as they would be for shorter length races. I think I will add at least one more PMP run in one of my LSR's. Regarding feeling tired, I talked to Doc Jewel about this, he followed P&D before and he said that although you don't feel as rested at the start line, you definitely feel stronger. As you say, we just have to trust the plan! Going by your recent runs, I have no doubt you have a sub 4 in you, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nightmare murph :( Are you going to see a physio?
    Ah crap sorry to hear that Murph, get yourself to a physio pronto
    ncmc wrote: »
    I’d second what Runchick said, get thee to a physio asap!

Thanks guys - I will take the hint, Seeing a physio tonight so I'll hope for the best. Never had any ankle trouble before (well not since I used to play football decades ago). The injury came out of nowhere, although in retrospect I think I felt a little discomfort around the heel from the beginning of the run, which I put down to being a little tired from the previous day's 16k. Had a late night too at a dinner party so that would not have helped. But we'll see what the physio thinks.

SouthMan wrote: »
    Put it to you this way - myself & Killian could be rubbing shoulders at some stage -))

Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'll be interested to see how the P&D followers get on on Sunday. I am losing a little bit of faith in the plan tbh, from what I can see, with 5 weeks to go, there are no more PMP runs (bar 2 miles dress rehearsal the week before) yet there are V02 max runs every week. This is despite them saying in the book that the V02 runs aren't as important for marathon training as they would be for shorter length races. I think I will add at least one more PMP run in one of my LSR's. Regarding feeling tired, I talked to Doc Jewel about this, he followed P&D before and he said that although you don't feel as rested at the start line, you definitely feel stronger. As you say, we just have to trust the plan! Going by your recent runs, I have no doubt you have a sub 4 in you, best of luck.

I was looking at the next 5 weeks thinking the same. I think I will skip vo2 as the speed is causing strains, poor form is the root I'm sure but now is not the time to change that. And add more pmp as you say.

I was thinking the same, might skip the 1200m and 1600m V02 and add pmp miles instead. I think Dilbert and Blockic did the same. As you say, high risk of injury with probably limited pay off.

Thanks guys - I will take the hint, Seeing a physio tonight so I'll hope for the best. Never had any ankle trouble before (well not since I used to play football decades ago). The injury came out of nowhere, although in retrospect I think I felt a little discomfort around the heel from the beginning of the run, which I put down to being a little tired from the previous day's 16k. Had a late night too at a dinner party so that would not have helped. But we'll see what the physio thinks.
    Hope that sorts it out murph, sorry to hear u injured ( slightly - hopefully) u def do right to get it looked at. Like others say u have plenty miles under ur belt so take it easy until u sorted. Best of luck.

I was thinking the same, might skip the 1200m and 1600m V02 and add pmp miles instead. I think Dilbert and Blockic did the same. As you say, high risk of injury with probably limited pay off.

I also had doubts about the plan, well more my ability to follow it properly than the plan itself. I wasn't too worried about the lack of MP miles as I always threw a few in to my LSRs anyway. But I always struggled to hold 5km pace in the Vo2 sessions. Maybe because I was doing them first thing or that I'm just not built for speed, but the pace was always closer to 10k pace and I skipped the 1200m one as I missed a week with illness. But I got through and every time a niggle got to the point I thought it was going to get more serious, the plan eased off and niggles subsided...so my thoughts were to finish what I started, including the crazy taper miles...I'll know after Sunday if that was wise or not. (haha - if I go out too hard and blow up 23 miles in I can blame P&D :p)

I intend to follow the same plan for DCM 13 so can use lessons learned this time round to tweak things to suit better. Overall I really like P&D but I'm an absolute mileage junkie...if I'd more hours in the day I'd do the 70+ plan no problem :D

Again, I'm looking forward to talking P&D with everyone once I start it. That and running in non Arctic conditions are whats going to get me through DCM13!

The online ballot opened today for next years London Marathon. I threw in an entry this morning as I would really like to do one of the 'classics'. it will clash horribly with work, I promised myself I'd get the two marathons I've already planned done before I entered another and it means more dark, cold windy training but nothing ventured nothing gained and all that!

link to entry here...

EDIT: Wow, I was going to post the link, but the ballot is closed - thats quick they don't give you much chance do they?

I entered the London ballot this morning too Killian, by all accounts it's quite an experience. If I miss the ballot hopefully I can get a good for age place the following year...mmmm...this is crazy talk considering last year I couldn't imagine being able to run one marathon ;)

• Advertisement

I entered the London ballot this morning too Killian, by all accounts it's quite an experience. If I miss the ballot hopefully I can get a good for age place the following year...mmmm...this is crazy talk considering last year I couldn't imagine being able to run one marathon ;)

It is a bit crazy, I was just thinking that earlier - if I get in (and finish) London will be No4, yet I have only done one so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Had a great weekend wih two new PBs at 5 mile on Saturday(RTE5) and 10k on Sunday in Samsung Night Run... see report here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84392387#post84392387

..oh and entered ballot for London 2014 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jeez, bad luck Murph..hope the physio does the trick for you

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

No running today :( .

Had a wisdom tooth removed this morning,better today than a few weeks time I suppose.Fingers crossed its been the root cause of a lot of sleepless nights of late.

Hopefully back on the wagon tomorrow with either MP miles or VO2 session

Decisions Decisions and teh clock is ticking for Sunday - after getting physio for a tight calf on Friday was advised to stay off it till yesterday - so everything seemed to be progressing well - bit tender for a few days but progressed well - ran 3m yesterday pm - felt fine during but afterwards wasnt good - not as sore as before but didnt fel 100%.Now its a case of do I call the physio this morning V's if he goes near it again will I be sore again like last time and with only 4 days to go TICK TOCK.....and of course V's will this hold up at all for the full 26m.I guess its normal to have all this going on with Taper madness but sooo frustrating when two weeks ago it was a case of great I can finally go in to a 26m without injury/niggle as opposed to DCM2012.

Hope u be ok, so hard to know what is best! Good luck.

So 4 days to marathon and I'm feeling tired. Went for 7 miles this morning with 2 at pmp and just felt sluggish. Just couldn't get a rhythm going, felt out of shape :rolleyes: Having said that I struggled to keep to pmp miles slow enough so I suppose that's a good sign...

I'm wondering is it that I'm fatigued or is my body just used to longer miles and takes 6 or 7 miles to get in to things? Should I even bother with the few miles I'd planned for Friday or should I abandon the plan and opt for complete rest instead?

My life is so hectic at the minute that marathon training is my down time :eek: so possibly other stresses are contributing to how I'm feeling? All that said though, my priority over the next 4 days is as much sleep as possible (which won't be enough but will try) and to eat well...anyway moan over, I should be grateful that I'm not injured and HTFU :rolleyes:

Hope taper/ training is going well for the rest of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

So 4 days to marathon and I'm feeling tired. Went for 7 miles this morning with 2 at pmp and just felt sluggish. Just couldn't get a rhythm going, felt out of shape :rolleyes: Having said that I struggled to keep to pmp miles slow enough so I suppose that's a good sign...

I'm wondering is it that I'm fatigued or is my body just used to longer miles and takes 6 or 7 miles to get in to things? Should I even bother with the few miles I'd planned for Friday or should I abandon the plan and opt for complete rest instead?

My life is so hectic at the minute that marathon training is my down time :eek: so possibly other stresses are contributing to how I'm feeling? All that said though, my priority over the next 4 days is as much sleep as possible (which won't be enough but will try) and to eat well...anyway moan over, I should be grateful that I'm not injured and HTFU :rolleyes:

I can relate to your post. The week of London, I felt v tired, hitting pmp wasn't easy, and my head was all over the place. Right up to the day before the marathon I didn't feel at all refreshed, if anything, I was shattered. But, come marathon morning, it all just feel into place.

Go out for a few easy miles Friday as planned, for your head if nothing else.

As you said, eat well, try and get decent nights sleep, make sure you are taking on enough water.

Trust in your training, you'll have a super day Sunday :)

The hard work is all done n your body knows it at this stage which is why u feeling naturally tired. Looking forward to hearing how u get on and reading your race report, I know u will do brilliant. As long as u take it easy from here on in I'd do whatever will make u feel best, a few miles easy I don't reckon will do u any harm ( or good) I'd say, so won't make much diff either way I'd think. I so wish I was at taper! :( best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, hopefully I can look back next week and see it was all worth it! RubyK its very heartening to know you felt the same way and had a good experience on the day :) London marathon is on my bucket list for sure, mind you they've changed the GFA time to 3.45 so a bit of work to do over the next few marathons if I'm to go down that route :rolleyes:

Advertisement