Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good Luck everyone at the weekend.....sooooo jealous! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

A good start for the graduates this weekend,passed the 1000 mile mark for the year tonight,8 weeks earlier than last year.

On a more important note the best of luck to everyone racing & pacing over the weekend,give it your best & leave everything out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

docjewel wrote: »
    A good start for the graduates this weekend,passed the 1000 mile mark for the year tonight,8 weeks earlier than last year.

Wow well done u! That's some miles and achievement , congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

On a more important note the best of luck to everyone racing & pacing over the weekend,give it your best & leave everything out on the course.

That is phenomenal running over 4 months....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    That is phenomenal running over 4 months....

+1 - I didn't hit that in a full year, never mind 1/3 of a year. Outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

That's amazing going DocJewel, seriously impressive! What's your next race?

Good luck to all in Limerick on Sunday too and thanks to all here for the encouragement and advice over the last months, I'm getting a bit nervous now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Best of luck to everyone running in Limerick this weekend.

You've done the training so get out there and run the race you've been dreaming of.

Stay focused, stay positive, be friendly but firm as you invite pain to fock right off and go get yourselves some well-earned PBs.

That's amazing going DocJewel, seriously impressive! What's your next race?

Good luck to all in Limerick on Sunday too and thanks to all here for the encouragement and advice over the last months, I'm getting a bit nervous now!!!

The big one is Cork City Marathon in just over 4weeks but I hope to do a 5mile race next Friday night followed by a 10k the following weekend as a tune up race.Fingers crossed all this extra mileage will pay off.

I think quote of the week goes to my 7year old son who we're trying to encourage to be more active but he said to me during the week

"Dad,for all the running you do,you don't win any races do you?"

Kids,you can't beat them for honesty & encouragement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The big one is Cork City Marathon in just over 4weeks but I hope to do a 5mile race next Friday night followed by a 10k the following weekend as a tune up race.Fingers crossed all this extra mileage will pay off.

I think quote of the week goes to my 7year old son who we're trying to encourage to be more active but he said to me during the week

"Dad,for all the running you do,you don't win any races do you?"

Kids,you can't beat them for honesty & encouragement :D

My son equates medals with winning. He must think I'm brazil bound at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Amazing mileage doc, congrats! I'm sure it will reap dividends in Cork :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Best of luck all you racers this weekend! Relax and let all the hard work loose! :)

That is super mileage docjewel, well done, a great achievement.

Did Malahide Park Run this morning new PB of 22:14. I'm nearly there in terms of breaking 22 mins. That's 3 PBs in 7 days at 5k, 5miles and 10k. All in all a great weeks work for me:) Now back to building mileage back up again and being choosey about which races I do.

23 miles done this morning, strong headwind on way back, which left it feeling very cold n slowed pace down by approx 30secs/mile though HR showing same effort, when is this weather gonna improve?!! At least it was dry n had friend for company so the miles flew by! 1 last long run planned for Friday morn as off work n busy with kids over weekend, discos, sleepovers, football etc etc! But hey it will b last 1 before big day! Taper in sight!! Can't wait!!! 2.5 miles tomorrow will see me reach 800m ytd! If someone had told me at start of year I cud run 800m in 18 weeks I'd never have believed it!!!
    Again best of luck to u all tomorrow. Give it socks x

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Good luck this weekend racers. The work is done, so enjoy it now.

I've decided to go with wagon wheels with the tay for the reports this time round. My wife has hid them so they'll still be around tomorrow evening;).

You've listened to the "little voice of sense and reason" for the last few months, now listen to the "little crazy fecker" and go racing.....

New runner wrote: »
    23 miles done this morning, strong headwind on way back, which left it feeling very cold n slowed pace down by approx 30secs/mile though HR showing same effort, when is this weather gonna improve?!! At least it was dry n had friend for company so the miles flew by! 1 last long run planned for Friday morn as off work n busy with kids over weekend, discos, sleepovers, football etc etc! But hey it will b last 1 before big day! Taper in sight!! Can't wait!!! 2.5 miles tomorrow will see me reach 800m ytd! If someone had told me at start of year I cud run 800m in 18 weeks I'd never have believed it!!!

800m in 18 weeks, that's fantastic stuff...well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Wow New runner super mileage,are you planning on doing a 24 lsr next week and what time you hopeing for at Derry.With mileage like that your going to win the Marathon :D.I done 21 miles this morning and plan a 22 next week and then Taper,can't come soon enough,hopeing for 3.45 -3.55 on the big day myself if all goes well.

tenreds wrote: »
    Wow New runner super mileage,are you planning on doing a 24 lsr next week and what time you hopeing for at Derry.With mileage like that your going to win the Marathon :D.I done 21 miles this morning and plan a 22 next week and then Taper,can't come soon enough,hopeing for 3.45 -3.55 on the big day myself if all goes well.

Hiya tenreds, thank u, I wish!!! Lol! I hoping for 3.45 too, but will b over moon to get 3.42 ish! nice to hear someone else doing derry , how ur training going? Have u ran some of the route? we did last week. Not sure where u from but we went from complex in derry to buncrana leisure centre today n back n then extra mile to do 23. No def not doing 24 on Friday , 20ish even ill b happy with that . Can't wait for taper! Hopefully all doing derry n cork get to start line ( and finish line obviously) uninjured.

Plenty of wind and rain here in Limerick. Take the wind away tomorrow and I'd settle for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Hiya tenreds, thank u, I wish!!! Lol! I hoping for 3.45 too, but will b over moon to get 3.42 ish! nice to hear someone else doing derry , how ur training going? Have u ran some of the route? we did last week. Not sure where u from but we went from complex in derry to buncrana leisure centre today n back n then extra mile to do 23. No def not doing 24 on Friday , 20ish even ill b happy with that . Can't wait for taper! Hopefully all doing derry n cork get to start line ( and finish line obviously) uninjured.

Training going good 50 miles this week and plan on 55 next week, haven't done any of the route what is the course like,looking at course map seems like a big climb at mile 9&10,I didn't make it start of Dublin last year so yeah hopefully everybody makes it to Derry and Cork

tenreds wrote: »
    Training going good 50 miles this week and plan on 55 next week, haven't done any of the route what is the course like,looking at course map seems like a big climb at mile 9&10,I didn't make it start of Dublin last year so yeah hopefully everybody makes it to Derry and Cork
    It's ok yeah def few hills but nothing too bad really other than quite steep hill at mile 25ish but it's very short so it not too bad, called fahan street. What I don't like is couple times sort of coming back on yourself again, over n back bridges but all in all hopefully b ok, early start too, 8.30am which will reduce the support n we on a flat track for 4-5 miles b4 half way which I reckon won't have many supporters but hopefully wrong . Well done on ur mileage that's great going.

• Advertisement

3.36. Blew up in pretty spectacular fashion around mile 21. Still very happy with the time, found the conditions tough but a great day overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

3.36. Blew up in pretty spectacular fashion around mile 21. Still very happy with the time, found the conditions tough but a great day overall.

Well done! Must have been a tough day all round. Warm & windy?

Well done,glad to hear your happy with the time,sounds like you left it all out on the course.

Well done,glad to hear your happy with the time,sounds like you left it all out on the course.

Yeah I emptied the tank, was with the 3.30 pacers until mile 21 but the cramps came and I just couldn't keep themm at bay. In reality 3.30 wasn't in me today and I was found out, glad I went for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

4:40 for me, I'll write a report tomorrow when I'm back from picking up my pride that's scattered all over Limerick.

Enjoyed it though, a little disappointed but not massively so. Thanks to everyone here who took the opportunity to cheer me on every time they passed me!

Well done OP - good thinking to back off when you realised it wasn't going to be your day. Congratulations on a great pb.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Well done OP - good thinking to back off when you realised it wasn't going to be your day. Congratulations on a great pb.

Cheers Dilbert, it wasn't a conscious effort to back off, the cramps stopped me in my tracks about 4 times maybe more. Horrendous last few miles but sure thats all part of it. How did you fare?

4:40 for me, I'll write a report tomorrow when I'm back from picking up my pride that's scattered all over Limerick.

Enjoyed it though, a little disappointed but not massively so. Thanks to everyone here who took the opportunity to cheer me on every time they passed me!

Good stuff Killian, great to meet you today.

How did you fare?

DNF with a mile to go - finished courtesy of Civil Defense. Gutted but nobody died. Just a long way to come and not get a medal.

• Advertisement

Steroo wrote: »
    Well done! Must have been a tough day all round. Warm & windy?

Cheers! Yeah I found it very warm, didn't notice any wind really. Think I would have been found out anyway despite the heat :)

Advertisement