Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    DNF with a mile to go - finished courtesy of Civil Defense. Gutted but nobody died. Just a long way to come and not get a medal.

Did you pick up an injury or was it fatigue that got you ?

Sorry to hear it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

DNF with a mile to go - finished courtesy of Civil Defense. Gutted but nobody died. Just a long way to come and not get a medal.

Ah ****, really sorry to hear that mate. Heat related? I think I may have seen you with the civil defense as I shuffled past at 25. Hope you're recovering now and dust yourself down. I read your log and there's a great marathon in you in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Wowzer, sorry to hear that Dilbert;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks guys. Think it was fatigue. Head was bobbing around and ended up getting dizzy and disoriented - sounds stupid now. Was just about to collapse when I decided to stop. Once I did there was no way I was going anywhere under my own steam again.

Civil Defense and St Johns Ambulance were fantastic, as was the Garda who helped out when I stopped. Big ole ego bruise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done to all the limerick runners today, sounds like it was tough going out there today. I was thinking about you guys all morning. Congrats on the targets hit and commiserations on those missed. There's always another race. Give yourselves a pat on the back and enjoy a drink or two tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

4:40 for me, I'll write a report tomorrow when I'm back from picking up my pride that's scattered all over Limerick.

Enjoyed it though, a little disappointed but not massively so. Thanks to everyone here who took the opportunity to cheer me on every time they passed me!

Well done Killian,this marathon running is a massive learning curve & you now have another one under your belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done all of u! Gutted for u Dilbert75,but u seem have a good attitude about it, like u say, no one died and that's the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Thanks guys. Think it was fatigue. Head was bobbing around and ended up getting dizzy and disoriented - sounds stupid now. Was just about to collapse when I decided to stop. Once I did there was no way I was going anywhere under my own steam again.

Civil Defense and St Johns Ambulance were fantastic, as was the Garda who helped out when I stopped. Big ole ego bruise though.

So sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3.36. Blew up in pretty spectacular fashion around mile 21. Still very happy with the time, found the conditions tough but a great day overall.

Well done on a great time.

Tough luck Dilbert, so close to the end too. Great attitude about it though.Recover well and the next gig...you'll see!

• Advertisement

4:40 for me, I'll write a report tomorrow when I'm back from picking up my pride that's scattered all over Limerick.

Enjoyed it though, a little disappointed but not massively so. Thanks to everyone here who took the opportunity to cheer me on every time they passed me!

Well done on notching up another one Killian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Unlike dilbert I didn't have the sense to stop when I felt dizzy and hit the deck blockic style before the 22 mile mark...made the finish line in an ambulance:( fine now but a bit disappointed as the legs were feeling strong.

Eventful day all round.

Runchick wrote: »
    Unlike dilbert I didn't have the sense to stop when I felt dizzy and hit the deck blockic style before the 22 mile mark...made the finish line in an ambulance:( fine now but a bit disappointed as the legs were feeling strong.

Eventful day all round.

Holy god everyone, what happened down here? I hope you are alright Runchick.

I'm blaming Dilberts choice of restaurant. ;)

I'm blaming Dilberts choice of restaurant. ;)

I've been expecting that...

Aw NO WAY Runchick! :( so sorry to hear that, was certain u wud fly around it! Gutted to hear the disappointments coz know this cud well b myself this day 4 weeks n know I'd b gutted. What do u think happened, fatigue? Dehydration? Too fast? Hope u ok as that's the main thing, but I'm sure u really disappointed. :(

Any word of the others, how they get on? I'm getting really nervous now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

New runner wrote: »
    Any word of the others, how they get on? I'm getting really nervous now!!!

Career move was 4th lady home and got her dub 3:30 and gavlor just missed sub 3 hrs,

Real shame runchick thought you were a shoe in for sub 4 but limerick seems to have been as bad as Rotterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Eventful day all round.

That's awful, I hope you're ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Sorry to hear that Runchick and Dilbert - but there will be other days, ye both know ye have it in ye. Well done Killian and everyone else who took part. It was tough out there today and I only did the half! Finished 1:53. Had a great finish to my day as I collected my Mam after race from LGH after HA this week so couldn't ask for more. Have been up and down to Limerick all week so don't mind if I don't see it for a very long time. Puts everything in perspective.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Career move was 5th lady home and got her dub 3:30 and gavlor just missed sub 3 hrs,

That's some great running guys, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Well done everyone. Sounds like a tough day out there. So sorry to hear about the DNFs .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Eventful day all round.

Hope you are OK Runchick - that's not the report I was expecting at all. Tell us more when you have a chance. Disappointed for you :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Jaysus, it's like Rotterdam revisited. Maybe these mass Boards.ie runs are cursed.

Seriously, well done to all the runners today, a marathon is a beast, the difference between a dnf and a finish can be very minuscule.
    I'm sure there's a lot of learning for everyone in the upcoming reports.

Those who had bad runs, just dwell on it for the day that's in it, then pass it off to history. Something to learn from. Get a fresh perspective on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

New runner wrote: »
    Aw NO WAY Runchick! :( so sorry to hear that, was certain u wud fly around it! Gutted to hear the disappointments coz know this cud well b myself this day 4 weeks n know I'd b gutted. What do u think happened, fatigue? Dehydration? Too fast? Hope u ok as that's the main thing, but I'm sure u really disappointed. :(

Aw no Runchick, really gutted for you. Hope you're feeling a bit better at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

murphd77 wrote: »
    Hope you are OK Runchick - that's not the report I was expecting at all. Tell us more when you have a chance. Disappointed for you :-(

I'm absolutely fine guys. Followed the 4 hr pacers all the way, well except for falling a bit behind at a loo stop but caught up again handy enough. Was actually feeling stronger as the race went on and was kind of pleased with myself as I could tell by the heavy breathing of the others around me that they were working harder than I was. Couldn't believe how strong I felt at 18 miles - the point where I hit the wall in DCM...wasn't to last though. My head started feeling fuzzy and clouded...saw my OH at the 20 mile mark and was very disorientated by then. Couldn't understand it - all I kept thinking was how my legs weren't getting that jelly-like feeling and it was probably just a phase that would pass. Kept going, passed the 21 mile mark, but by this stage was struggling to stay in a straight line (sorry to anyone trying to pass me here :o) Collapsed in a heap somewhere after that...can't really remember much, apparently I passed out for a while, but ended up ambulanced to the triage at the finish line. Shocked to see Dilbert there too :( They eventually let me go at around 3.30pm, so more than 3 hours later.

So what went wrong? I thought my pace was fine - I took c_m's advice and stuck with the pacers instead of my usual style of going out too fast but maybe I should have adjusted to allow for the conditions? It was sunny and I had no suncream on and no hat - I always run with a hat on sunny days :rolleyes: and my shoulders are sunburned now. The doc said I was very dehydrated so obviously didn't drink enough. To be honest I didn't drink as much water as I should have after needing the loo at 9 miles as I didn't want to have to stop again - stupid move clearly :o

So a few lessons learnt and to be honest I still enjoyed the day. Obviously not an ideal outcome and a bit disheartening but I was really enjoying the race until that point and haven't fallen out of love with marathons at all. And after reading Willie42's post it puts it all in perspective - its only a run ;)

Delighted for everyone who finished today - even those who didn't get the times they were hoping for. Was a pleasure to meet c_m, dilbert, Killian and Gavlor last night...thanks guys for the good company and craic, hope you are having fun tonight :D

Eventful day all round.

So sorry to hear that Runchick. Jeez it must have been tough out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Commiserations to you too, Dilbert. Was it dehydration for you as well? Sounds like a tough day indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Sorry to hear that run chick. For future ref though once you're running you shouldn't worry about the amount of water you take on. You're unlikely to overtake and you will lose most through sweat so not much chance of further loo breaks. Your stop at mile 9 is most likely due to he amount take on before you started running.

Bad luck though. Hopefully next time.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Commiserations to you too, Dilbert. Was it dehydration for you as well?

Thanks - I'm thinking so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gutted for you as well Runchick, sounds like a total bloodbath out there yesterday. So frustrating for you when you were feeling pretty strong otherwise. It's a real salutary lesson about summer marathons, even when it's not that warm it's so easy to get dehydrated. It's a lesson I'll be taking on board for Cork. Hopefully everyone is feeling ok today.

Advertisement