Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Some of ye might get a smile from this

http://www.runninghumor.com/know-youre-runner-when/

Race report here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Willie42 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Runchick and Dilbert - but there will be other days, ye both know ye have it in ye. Well done Killian and everyone else who took part. It was tough out there today and I only did the half! Finished 1:53. Had a great finish to my day as I collected my Mam after race from LGH after HA this week so couldn't ask for more. Have been up and down to Limerick all week so don't mind if I don't see it for a very long time. Puts everything in perspective.

Sorry we didn't get you under the 1:50 Willie. I hope digger didn't scare you away! :D was good to meet you. Now less lurking and more posting going forward! :D

Really sorry to here the bad news on here. I was gutted when I heard about yere misfortune yesterday Dilbert and runchick. I feel yere pain and welcome ye to the club! Will need to come up with a crafty name for it! :D Glad ye are all ok now . It was hot out there at times.

Well done Killian too for grinding through to the finish. Couldn't talk when we passed but was good to see you even if I didn't meet you! :)

Really enjoyed the day myself even though I lost my bet with meno by a bloody second! Crowds were good too. A really good event to showcase limerick.

Enjoyed the night a bit too much . Dying today!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    Dying today!!
    Really? Why? Sure you were only jogging round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Sorry we didn't get you under the 1:50 Willie. I hope digger didn't scare you away! :D was good to meet you. Now less lurking and more posting going forward! :D
    Thanks Blockic, good to meet you too. Ye were in sight most of the way but hills were the killer for me in the end. Note to self - get some hill training in before DCM.........really feel it in the legs today:(

Haha, jogging around the pub id say!! It's the head not the legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

So were you CM from what I saw!!

Haha, jogging around the pub id say!! It's the head not the legs!

D'oh sorry. I'm half asleep today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Was deliberating whether to do 10miles easy, tomorrow's speed session of 6-10 x 4 mins at 90% HR , or do a charity 5k which was taking place about 15m away from me, opted for the 5k , which is a lovely scenic route but has quite a steep ongoing hill for at least 500m , really enjoyed it and looking at my garmin mile splits was happy enough as hadn't rested or prepared for it , no PB but enjoyed n finished strong , mile splits were 7.01 , 7.23 , 6.54 , so I'm
    Delighted 3rd mile was quickest! Didn't reset the lap button again as I went back out on road for recovery but know the 0.1m was my quickest bit so I'm happy with that , 22.20ish ! That's my speed done for the week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

4:40 for me, I'll write a report tomorrow when I'm back from picking up my pride that's scattered all over Limerick.

Enjoyed it though, a little disappointed but not massively so. Thanks to everyone here who took the opportunity to cheer me on every time they passed me!

Great pic of you and kids on ilovelimerick.com

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats to everyone who ran yesterday. Am delighted for all who reached their goal and very disappointed for those who didn't have a good day. It really goes to show that you can't always predict how it will go on the day. Chin up everyone you all gave it your best just Lady Luck wasn't there on the day. Plenty of more races to come and have a good well earned rest for yourselves :) Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great pic of you and kids on ilovelimerick.com

Saw it this morning - made my day! Theres a lot of pain in that face!

glrfinish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

glrfinish.jpg

Love love love that pic !

It's a very special thing to finish the marathon hand in hand with your kids. One of the highlights of my life was doing that last year in Dublin. Was happier with that than the achievement of finishing the marathon itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

glrfinish.jpg

That is a fantastic PIC Killian, a keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Eventually getting around to writing something after yesterday - what a rollercoaster but was thrilled to pull 4.10 - not without a few scares though - 1st off @ 1/2 mile guys trips over a bollard and it flys back on top of me and skinned my shin but what the hell drive on - heat at miles 2-5 was starting to worry me a little - no suncream/hat etc - push that aside in the head.next up on the shoulders of the 4hrs pacers for mls 7,8,9,10,11...decided then to press on a little ahead of them - dangerous territory now but i kept telling myself trust the training!miles 14,15,16,17 passed - had an urge for the loo at some stage but that passed - after all I had been sipping water now for 2hrs!strong at 18..19 - it was always gonna be tough from hereon - im still ahead of 4hr pacers though - mile 20 felt hunger and needed something - enter breakfast bar - lifesaver - 30 second swallow and away - mile 21 passed - every hill is like a mountain now but im getting a feeling that a 4hr could be on the cards (remember 4.15 was the target)but id shifted some good miles early on.Mile 22 - 4hr pacers Vroommm - (one of whom I knew) - I got an 'ok buddy' from him and the reply was 'yea grand' - tried my level best to stay up with them - mile 23....all of a sudden it felt like one of my hammers was gone - completely seized,now I was worried - plus I got the 'jelly feeling' for a split second - ok lets not panic entered - pull over stretch it out - at that stage the 4hr balloons were fading - managed to stretch it out quickly - back on the road again - realisation now that the 4hr was a figment of my imagination but all wasnt lost yet - all I had was grind out 24/25 and the last one momentum alone will get me there - at that stage I couldnt bear to look at the garmin - it was a simple case of get finished and home safely - after all I had a harsh dose of reality when a girl that I ran a good 3 r 4 miles with in the early stages I passed on a stretcher at mile 23.dont know her name but none of us went out to end up like that.Thank god for jellies at thsi stage I need every bit of sugar I could get - I remember having two large jellies in my mouth at mile 24 and all my thoughts were how the hell am I gonna get through these!!anyhow enter the final mile - last drop of water to go down - for a guy that thought he needed a loo at the early stages still hadnt gone - too late now I guess - by now i'd no real idea what way time was going as my garmin had lost track due to the harmstring stop etc - was thinking 4.15/17.....rounded the corner and could see the finish line - 4.09 and counting - my heart was pounding - wow i cant believe this - drive on....countdown and bang 4.10.....punch the air time....next thing my calf is locked up - keep moving say the first aiders (easier said than done after 26 miles and an aching body) anyhow after a stretch got it going and off for a massage - delighted with my days work - only sinking in today - DCM 2012 4.36 - Limerick 2013 4.10 - Is there a 3.59 DCM 2013 in me remains to be seen - think I will ponder on it for a while but the head is saying go for DCM again in october.To everyone that raced yesterday well done regardless of your time - you trained you tuned up and u participated that's an achievement - to anyone that had to come off the course - head up folks its not the end for you - it was probably the warmest day by far yesterday and it had to fall on a day where we planned to bang out 26 miles - u will come back strong & let there be no doubts on that.The thread has been an inspiration - we've had good days and bad days - there was a time when a 10k was a struggle now we're talking many more miles - to anyone doing cork etc some of this may prove beneficial and im sure we will be here again through the summer and beginning of autumn as we ramp up for DCM - Race well folks but do take care out there (Oh and one final one I'm minus a toenail after yesterday - very hard to tell which one is actually an original now!!)

Great report south man..... I reckon your mystery stretcher girl is runchick judgindg by the times

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Thats exactly what I thought today - wouldnt mind but we exchanged a few words early on think around halfway - I even offered some of my water kind person that I am -))was just up ahead of me and seemed to be coasting nicely.The purple top will be the key to the answer - Runchick to confirm ?

Pretty sure that was her alright.

SouthMan wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I thought today - wouldnt mind but we exchanged a few words early on think around halfway - I even offered some of my water kind person that I am -))was just up ahead of me and seemed to be coasting nicely.The purple top will be the key to the answer - Runchick to confirm ?

Admit it.... You spiked the drink a la career move in order to eliminate the competition ;)

• Advertisement

Well I'll have some of whatever CM's drink was spiked with!

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Well I'll have some of whatever CM's drink was spiked with!

Running endorphins man. Before I left the hotel room yesterday morning I was just randomly giggling to myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

glrfinish.jpg

Fab picture!!

Running endorphins man. Before I left the hotel room yesterday morning I was just randomly giggling to myself :D

Sure you were bouncing like bloody Tigger when I met you at 8:20!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

so it was PCP?

:D:D:D

And just to add to that - I don't do morning happiness. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

SouthMan wrote: »

That was me alright, hey SouthMan I remember you indeed...maybe if I'd taken some water from you my fate would have been different!! I had your company at the halfway mark if I remember correctly, it all felt so good at that point!! Great running by you and a great report...might be shoulder to shoulder with you again for DCM - i'll be a girl on a mission that day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

glrfinish.jpg

Fantastic pic Killian, worth the pain I'd say!!!

• Advertisement

so it was PCP?

I'm not sure there's a chemical name for what makes CM tick... :D

Advertisement