Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

Well done to everybody who took part in Limerick yesterday. I did the half and I'd say the heat made it very difficult for anyone doing the full. Hard luck to those whose day didn't work out as planned but there will be other days and all that training will stand to you.

I'm taking on the Portumna half in the middle of June and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how I should structure my training until then? I'm going to be starting the P&D plan for Dublin a week after Portumna, so maybe upping the mileage might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

cant believe that Runchick - u were flying at that stage - u even pressed on ahead of me - anyway water under the bridge now - dissapointed I never formally met u though - could have passed a few miles together.As u say DCM and we'll give it one hell of an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

which is a flatter course Limerick or DCM ? trying to fast forward ahead to october here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

SouthMan wrote: »
    which is a flatter course Limerick or DCM ? trying to fast forward ahead to october here..
    I would say Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

SouthMan wrote: »

Dublin has fewer hills and they are a placed at the right parts of the race

Limerick had lots of short Snappy hills which for me were more leg sapping. I'd take Dublin over limerick in terms of elevation.

• Advertisement

Dublin:
    Elevation Gain: 498 ft Elevation Loss: 519 ft
    Min Elevation: 11 ft
    Max Elevation: 185 ft
    Limerick:
    Elevation Gain: 949 ft Elevation Loss: 964 ft
    Min Elevation: 6 ft
    Max Elevation: 79 ft

It's a tough one alright :D I can't decide which I would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Limerick had lots of short Snappy hills which for me were more leg sapping. I'd take Dublin over limerick in terms of elevation.

I'd have to agree. Give me 3 decent hills and get it over and done with rather than up and down all day. Second half of Dublin is easier than second half of Limerick imo. Can't compare the first half!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cork won't be happening for me this year.

Back from second physio visit. The problem is peroneal tendonitis and might be related to wearing neutral shoes for some of my shorter runs (that's another story, starting with a bad gait analysis a in a very reputable running shop). The physio was surprised at the lack of improvement over the past week but she is hopeful that another week of rest should do it. It is definitely starting to feel less sore, but slowly. She made up a temporary orthotic insole to help with the recovery.

Physio agrees with me that Cork marathon wouldn't be a good idea - too many missed long runs and not enough time to make it up. She thinks half marathon might be achievable so I'm going to shoot for that- I assume the Cork authorities will permit a downgrade.

The problem with this kind of tendonitis is not being able to push off the ball of the foot so walking (never mind running) any kind of distance is uncomfortable. I can manage fine around the house but that's about it. Cycling is fine - got out for a quick 20k this morning which felt good.

So there you are - an injury out of the blue, no warning whatsoever, and while I know all that miserable winter training will stand to me in the long run it's still a bit of a blow. The sub-4 will have to wait for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Sorry to hear that murph, another man down. Hope the plans to run the half works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

blockic wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. Give me 3 decent hills and get it over and done with rather than up and down all day. Second half of Dublin is easier than second half of Limerick imo. Can't compare the first half!

Anyone got views/stats on Cork compared to Dublin. Even though I live in Cork and drive all over the place I'm not sure of inclines anymore after running bantry half at weekend. I never noticed some of the long drags that were on it and these are the ones that really take it out of you.

Great running by all recently and unlucky to those who DNF but as they say if it was just a matter of training and doing it then it wouldn't be as interesting would it........sh:t I think i'm getting a dose of the Pawdrag Harringtons so here's the start of it

I was meant to do VO2 max thing tonight with 4 x 1200m runs. However legs are still bit tender for this crack and have only done 2 x 3 miles recoveries since sunday. Think I will skip the vo2 max and do 10 miles easy tomorrow night, 11 on Friday and 20 on sunday as per schedule with couple of recoveries on Thursday and Saturday. Is this a bit much to be doing after running a half ??? Its just I took it easy prior to it for a few days and want to get the milage back up prior to losing my mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did the BHAA Beach 5k tonight in 22:31. Happy with that. Good session including the 15 mile cycle roundtrip to/from venue. Full race report here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328&page=30

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

blockic wrote: »

Would have to agree - Limerick seemed (to me anyway) to be up/down all the way. Calves really stiff this morning will have to get recovery run in tomorrow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Only getting around to doing a report now so here goes!

Got down to Limerick around 1pm on Saturday afternoon and made it to the expo/farmers market to collect our numbers. We didn't hang for more than a couple of minutes as there was absolutely nothing of interest there.
    Myself and the GF were staying in Jurys so we dropped the bags off and went looking for a pub showing the Arsenal match, a couple of pints of blackcurrant later we grabbed a bowl of pasta and back to the hotel. I had been nice and relaxed in the run up but was starting to get a bit on edge at this stage.
    Woke the next morning and got breakfast at 7am, it really hit home seeing all the runners at breakfast ignoring the lovely fry up sitting waiting to be devoured. I ran into Killian and introduced myself and had a very quick few words.
    As we lined up I could tell it was probably gonna be a warm one but knew it was out of my hands so didnt get too worried. I went off with the 3.30 pacers and over the first few miles settled into what was a comfortable pace just behind them. The early miles passed very quickly and before I knew it we were out in UL, I was sweating like a pig this early and took my first gel at 5 miles. There was a good bit of banter with people around us and one of the wheelchair athletes was great craic. I was feeling very comfortable and was enjoying it.
    We passed Gary O' Hanlon and the other lead male on the way through the technology park (I think) and it always amazes me how easy those lads make 5.30 miles look. As we made our way back into Limerick I was still going well, had another gel at 10 miles and was drinking at every station conscious of the heat. It was here that I made my first mistake, coming back into town under that railway bridge on the canal/river trail as the road narrowed I found myself somehow ahead of the pacers, only maybe 20 meters. I didn't get too bothered about this as I felt they would just swallow me up again but I stayed ahead not wanting to lose momentum. I came through half way ahead and on my own and i stayed that way until me made it out the Rosbrien road and into Raheen. I felt ok but around the 16 mile mark out those country roads into the headwind I felt like I was actually starting to work a bit for the first time. The pacers caught me out in Raheen and I fell back in with them, instantly I felt better and was moving well in the group. However by the time we reached the flyover at the crescent I knew I was in trouble, that was about 19.5 miles I think. I could feel cramp starting in my right calf and then quad as we came down off the flyover, it was put up or shut up time! I put my head down and just held on as long as I could not even looking at the garmin. My legs were getting worse and worse and the salt on my face and sweat was blinding me at this stage. My breathing felt fine but I was working hard, thats ok at 20 miles but the legs were another story. I knew at this stage that it was only a matter of time for me. As we went back down O' Connell street I was right with the pacers but as we rounded the corners and headed for the river my legs gave up on me. Cramp locked up my entire right quad and as I stopped to try and stretch it my hamstring went the other side! I had been here before in DCM12 so I knew that I had to get going. I was moving ok initially, about 8.15 pace until I got to the top of the hill at Thomond and again I locked up. More stretching and EVERYTHING was cramping. I shuffled off again and had to stop at the Gaelic Grounds and somewhere in between there and Thomond. I was a mess. Pace was shot and my legs were in agony, I was pretty calm though, I wasn't particularly tired and didn't feel woozy or anything so I knew I had to suck it up and hobble home. Id say I was forced to stop 3-4 times between the Gaelic grounds and home and it was even a bit comical how bad I was, there were a few other lads around me in a similar state and I saw a lady and a man keeled over on the footpath getting medical attention so in reality I got off lightly. Little by little the last 2 miles ticked down and I crossed the bridge where I spotted Killian and got a shout from the GF's parents, really glad I was moving ok by then as id locked up completely just before that final bridge!! I got around the final corner and gave a little shout and swung my arms about to get few roars from the crowd and crossed the line in 3.36.28.

I had gone with the 3.30 pacers on the back of a 1.36 half in Bohermeen so whilst it may have been a stretch for me it wasn't out of the question as Career Move demonstrated so stylishly! The old adage of the marathon being 20 miles of hope and 6 of reality played out fairly ruthlessly with me on Sunday anyway! I didn't quite have it in me and maybe coupled with the conditions and some mistakes I was chewed up and spat out! In saying that I'm glad I gave it a lash with the pacers and I feel that I hung on as long and as hard as I could, I was kicking myself a bit that I didn't get home even 30 seconds quicker for the 3.35 but my body was so unimpressed with me in those last few miles in retrospect I was happy to get it done at all and in what was a big PB for me. Tank very much emptied.

Splits:
    10k 49:16
    Half: 1.43:57
    30k 2:28:00

and for what its worth the final 6 miles :) (8.43, 8.33, 8.53, 9.34, 9.48, 9.58) impressive I think you'll agree!

Previous PB 3.54.28
    New PB 3.36.28

All in all I'm fairly satisfied if a little embarrassed with the scale of my blow up. I need to get to the bottom of why ive cramped so badly in both my marathons to date when Ive never had a hint of it in training, its probably mostly accounted for by going out too fast and some dehydration. I had high5 tabs with me but they went to mush so I was relying on water on Lucozade, dont think thats enough for me. I also need to take speed work more seriously, my legs find it hard to hold up to running fast repeats on the road so I need to think about that. Core work has been ignored also (Sorry Gavlor)

Also Kudos to my GF who finished in 4.34 and to think she couldn't even run a mile this time last year! Very proud of her.
    Next up for me is the race series in Dublin and hopefully DCM 2013 to have another crack off that 3.29! Despite a difficult final few miles I thoroughly enjoyed my run,the atmosphere around Limerick and met and chatted with some great people on the course and around the race itself.

I still cant walk:D

Thanks for the race report OP. You really put the head down and battled on with all that cramping. Fair play :D

Interesting article here.....http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/common-limiting-factors-marathon?page=1

Thanks for the race report OP. You really put the head down and battled on with all that cramping. Fair play :D

Interesting article here.....http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/common-limiting-factors-marathon?page=1

Interesting reading, cheers CM. Seems I was in fact probably going too fast according to the article, good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A healthy dose of HTFU to finish that one off OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I crossed the bridge where I spotted Killian and got a shout from the GF's parents, really glad I was moving ok by then....

I remember that shout, but couldn't think who was calling! I do remember thinking that whoever it was was a very lucky decker as you were about 100yds from the finish as I was just heading out for the last 6miles!

Good report - thanks for sharing OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That kinda blows my theories out of the water.

Interesting reading, cheers CM. Seems I was in fact probably going too fast according to the article, good to know!

I would't take it as gospel. I think with your HM.time you were entitled to aim for 3:30. On another day it might have worked out. I'm quickly learning that there's no black and white when it comes to the marathon!

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ya I'm still struggling to come up with an explanation for what happened to you because from what I've read simple dehydration would not cause it.
    Don't know if you've read this book but it's my bible
    http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/tim-noakes-on-the-serious-problem-of-overhydration-in-endurance-sports.html

• Advertisement

Some of that stuff is covered in this video in case anyone is interested.

Great report op and fair play for finishing it out

Onwards and upwards!

Ya I'm still struggling to come up with an explanation for what happened to you because from what I've read simple dehydration would not cause it.
    Don't know if you've read this book but it's my bible
    http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/tim-noakes-on-the-serious-problem-of-overhydration-in-endurance-sports.html

Haven't read it but must do at some stage.

I'm leaning towards the theory that whatever it was was related to the bug I thought I might have had during the week and / or not being as well rested and / or hydrated as I thought I was beforehand. Maybe it was a combination of several things but hyponatraemia is one thing I wouldn't suspect - Electrolyte drink at the start, 3 gels and Lucozade near the end should have been enough salts to let me tolerate the run.

Haven't read it but must do at some stage.

I'm leaning towards the theory that whatever it was was related to the bug I thought I might have had during the week and / or not being as well rested and / or hydrated as I thought I was beforehand. Maybe it was a combination of several things but hyponatraemia is one thing I wouldn't suspect - Electrolyte drink at the start, 3 gels and Lucozade near the end should have been enough salts to let me tolerate the run.[/quote
    No I don't think you had hyponatraemia. I was just linking that article to explain about the book which is sort of related to what we were talking about ;)

Some of that stuff is covered in this video in case anyone is interested.

Interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I remember that shout, but couldn't think who was calling! I do remember thinking that whoever it was was a very lucky decker as you were about 100yds from the finish as I was just heading out for the last 6miles!

Good report - thanks for sharing OP

Spotted a photo of you from the race. I think it's around the 20M mark. Only problem with the picture is it was photo-bombed by one of the better looking pacers (and I'm there too on the left.) ;)

253016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Great race report OP n well done, n those miles 20-23 very impressive with u feeling the way u were, big clap on the back to u, u obviously dug deep, that's still brilliant time n very impressive PB! :)

Aimman wrote: »
    Spotted a photo of you from the race. I think it's around the 20M mark. Only problem with the picture is it was photo-bombed by one of the better looking pacers (and I'm there too on the left.) ;)

253016.jpg

looking good Babs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Gavlor wrote: »
    looking good Babs :D

You've gone too left. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What that article calls "The bonk" (hypoglycemia aka "the wall") doesn't sound all that different to what happened to you...

Advertisement