Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Runchick wrote: »
    Dear Santa, sorry I mean Meno, I have been a good girl and slowed my runs down this week. But those pyramid strides were fantastic - I've never felt so fit and fast and energised, and more importantly niggle and injury free :D Please add a workout like this each week and I will promise to continue with the slow plodding the rest of the time :p

Great, I am glad you enjoyed it, but the sessions are going to get harder each week. By Christmas you will be asking Santa to take the workouts away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great, I am glad you enjoyed it, but the sessions are going to get harder each week. By Christmas you will be asking Santa to take the workouts away :p

That's fightin talk, bring it on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Cheers for the link....Did you do much mileage for Dublin?

Luckily Paris coincides with my work holidays so we're making a proper break of it, going from Thurs until Mon. This is why I chose it over Rotterdam, Rotterdam was going to be hard to get the time off work. So plan now is, sightseeing Friday, rest Sat, run and hopefully celebrate Sun and home Mon :)

I did a three weeks of plus or minus 50 miles, and five or six of around 30 in the run up to Dublin.

We're considering a family outing to Paris but on balance the kids may still be a bit too young to get the best out of a couple of days there.
    Be careful with the programme for now. If you read the book (I advise everyone to read the book, not just follow the programme as without the knowledge of why and how to do the runs prescribed the programme itself is pointless) it states clearly that you should be regulalrly used to running 30-40 miles per week, before starting the programme lowest mileage plan (33-55 mpw).

If you don't have this base and jump straight into the programme you will almost certainly end up injured. The prurpose of my (our) plan is to build your base up to such a point hat you would be able to tackle a P&D style programme safely come February/March next year.
    I would advise to stick to our programme until the end of January and then maybe follow the 12 week P&D programme for Paris....

I have the book ordered Menoscemo and look forward to reading it. I guess for a 12 week plan we'd need to start early in January in order to be ready for Paris in early April.

coalshed wrote: »
    I have the book ordered Menoscemo and look forward to reading it. I guess for a 12 week plan we'd need to start early in January in order to be ready for Paris in early April.

I just had a look at the plan there and you're right, you'd want to be starting the 12 week plan on the 14th January.
    My Advice would be to bulk out the runs a bit so you are covering at least 30 MPW throughout December. 6 weeks of running 30-40 MPW will hopefully be a big enough base. It's not Ideal but not unachieveable as our plan this week already has 22 miles adn we will be adding on a few miles every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

IWe're considering a family outing to Paris but on balance the kids may still be a bit too young to get the best out of a couple of days there.

Not if you get the Train out to EuroDisney!

Takes about 40 Minutes
    Costs about €7 each way per person
    Drops you at the gate of EuroDisney.
    Comfortable and stress free way to travel

http://parisbytrain.com/rer-disney/
    http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/practical/gettingtothemagic/rerfromparis/

Apologies for digressing...

• Advertisement

I just had a look at the plan there and you're right, you'd want to be starting the 12 week plan on the 14th January.
    My Advice would be to bulk out the runs a bit so you are covering at least 30 MPW throughout December. 6 weeks of running 30-40 MPW will hopefully be a big enough base. It's not Ideal but not unachieveable as our plan this week already has 22 miles adn we will be adding on a few miles every week.

So you're saying knuckle down. Right, I'm on it :)
    miguelk wrote: »
    Not if you get the Train out to EuroDisney!

Takes about 40 Minutes
    Costs about €7 each way per person
    Drops you at the gate of EuroDisney.
    Comfortable and stress free way to travel

http://parisbytrain.com/rer-disney/
    http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/practical/gettingtothemagic/rerfromparis/

Apologies for digressing...

Thanks Miguelk, a visit to EuroDisney is definitely on the list, perhaps just not on this trip. Our youngest is only 16 months or so, so we might hold on another year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

So you're saying knuckle down. Right, I'm on it :)

Thanks Miguelk, a visit to EuroDisney is definitely on the list, perhaps just not on this trip. Our youngest is only 16 months or so, so we might hold on another year or two.

Ya, bit young yet. As their age goes up, your marathon time will be coming down....

2015 target: EuroDisney and the 3 hour Paris Marathon

Good luck!

Now yer talkin' Miguelk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Was On the road early this morn and passed 6 or 7 differebt people running. It was 6.20 am. I'd rather run back to back marathons!! What is the norm with you guys, morning or evening?? I HATE early morning running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Gavlor wrote: »
    Was On the road early this morn and passed 6 or 7 differebt people running. It was 6.20 am. I'd rather run back to back marathons!! What is the norm with you guys, morning or evening?? I HATE early morning running

Like yourself, i'm not a fan of early morning running but sometimes no choice. Especially if i'm not working the weekend its up early for run and then day with family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

*Shudder* I hate early morning runs, I fully intended to get up early this morning and get out for a few miles, but once I hit the snooze button once, I knew it was a no hoper! I find I don’t run properly if I’ve not had my brekkie and I always feel very sluggish first thing. I’d rather run at 11pm than 7am!

I try to run into work once a week with no breakfast . It's about 7.5 miles in total. I just get up, get dressed have a sip of water and go.
    I always feel really sluggish and slow and it's not helped by the fact that the route is all uphill :rolleyes:
    I hate morning running but I am convinced it does me a lot of good, especially when it comes to long distance running (marathons and ultras). By running 'on empty' your body has got no choice but to learn how to burn fat as a fuel which will help you complete the full marathon (or further) without hitting a wall.

I definitely recommend that everyone does this at least once every fortnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I LOVE early morning runs. Best ever. If I don't have to go into work early I get up around 6ish, have a drink of water, feed + muck out 12 horses then head off on my run bout 8 a.m.

Mostly on my run I think about what I'm going to have for breakfast when I get home :D:D

Almost always evening, with the odd AM but not early run at the weekend.

I imagine at this time of year you could catch some lovely sunrises by going out early...I'd like to give it a try.

I've run home from work a couple of times (about 6 miles) and will plan to start doing that more regularly again soon. Sometimes I get envious of runners leaving the city center in the evening while I'm sitting on the bus :)

I try to run into work once a week with no breakfast . It's about 7.5 miles in total. I just get up, get dressed have a sip of water and go.
    I always feel really sluggish and slow and it's not helped by the fact that the route is all uphill :rolleyes:
    I hate morning running but I am convinced it does me a lot of good, especially when it comes to long distance running (marathons and ultras). By running 'on empty' your body has got no choice but to learn how to burn fat as a fuel which will help you complete the full marathon (or further) without hitting a wall.

You were doing so well until that last sentence ;)

You were doing so well until that last sentence ;)

You're right, I should have said once a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

+1 here for the early morning runs,although due to family circumstances don't really get out enough on them.

One of my best memories of an early morning was the Sunday morning before Xmas last.Hadn't been out in a few days (& as most of you runners know how really frustrating that can be),so struck off just before 6am,roads were like glass,sky was clear & the stars were shining,coming down a hill into a local village I was two young lovers struggling to keep their footing while I breezed passed.
    This was the start of my marathon training & I thought yea this feels great,I want more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Absolutely early mornings for mid-week runs here, up and out the door, wake up somewhere during the first mile ;) I need to be out and back by 7.30am to get kids out the door to school so this week has been easy, but I'm sure there'll be some 5.30am starts as the mileage increases . No better way to start the day I reckon, its so peaceful out there first thing and I come back all full of those lovely running endorphins ready to start the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    *Shudder* I hate early morning runs, I fully intended to get up early this morning and get out for a few miles, but once I hit the snooze button once, I knew it was a no hoper! I find I don’t run properly if I’ve not had my brekkie and I always feel very sluggish first thing. I’d rather run at 11pm than 7am!

+1 - always have great intentions but fall down on the execution. Funny enough I used to go out at 6.30 and enjoyed it but got out of the habit and now the dislike of getting up earlier than absolutely necessary is outweighing the enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

. By running 'on empty' your body has got no choice but to learn how to burn fat as a fuel which will help you complete the full marathon (or further) without hitting a wall.

I love running first thing can't beat the peacefulness! Although if it was still dark I'd be very afraid on my lonely country roads, I've yet to run on the road alone in the dark.
    Meno does it matter how far of a run you do on empty in order to get your body accustomed to this? Would it have to be say at least 8miles? Or would 3miles suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

You're all mad people with your 5.30am runs :eek::eek::eek: And mucking out stables first career_move... Fair play!

I am most definitely an evening person, the ONLY thing getting me out of bed at 6.30 am is the fact I need to get into work at a certain time to get a car space or have to pay €8 a day.... Not a chance in hell you'd see me run before work......

I guess I have the luxury of no kids and usually home from work bout 5/5.30 so lots of time in the evening to head out. I actually think its the not sitting in front of a TV all evening scoffing my face that has made me lose weight, not the actual running itself:p (although since marathon training I'm now lost when last night's TV comes up in conversation...)

FiiFii wrote: »
    You're all mad people with your 5.30am runs :eek::eek::eek: And mucking out stables first career_move... Fair play!

I am most definitely an evening person, the ONLY thing getting me out of bed at 6.30 am is the fact I need to get into work at a certain time to get a car space or have to pay €8 a day.... Not a chance in hell you'd see me run before work......

I guess I have the luxury of no kids and usually home from work bout 5/5.30 so lots of time in the evening to head out. I actually think its the not sitting in front of a TV all evening scoffing my face that has made me lose weight, not the actual running itself:p (although since marathon training I'm now lost when last night's TV comes up in conversation...)

I like the cut of your jib

Early mornings pppfffffttttt

cranky-early-morning-1.jpg

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Meno does it matter how far of a run you do on empty in order to get your body accustomed to this? Would it have to be say at least 8miles? Or would 3miles suffice?

My run is 7.5 miles simply because that is how far I love from work! I wish i only lived 3 miles away :p I'd say that further is probably better but any distance is better than none! 3 miles is fine for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Runchick wrote: »
    So the kids wrote their lists to santa yesterday...now time for mine...

Dear Santa, sorry I mean Meno, I have been a good girl and slowed my runs down this week. But those pyramid strides were fantastic - I've never felt so fit and fast and energised, and more importantly niggle and injury free :D Please add a workout like this each week and I will promise to continue with the slow plodding the rest of the time :p

+1 to this... Ok, was cursing you Meno when started it the strides as co-incidentally happened to be when I was going up a hill :( but once got to top was great to stretch the legs a bit. Persuaded my 'slow and steady' friend to do them with me by claiming they'd burn double the fat (well that and she'd have been left behind on her own in the dark seem to have encouraged her to join me... :p)

FiiFii wrote: »
    +1 to this... Ok, was cursing you Meno when started it the strides as co-incidentally happened to be when I was going up a hill :( but once got to top was great to stretch the legs a bit. Persuaded my 'slow and steady' friend to do them with me by claiming they'd burn double the fat (well that and she'd have been left behind on her own in the dark seem to have encouraged her to join me... :p)
    Haha very good. You'd make a great drill sergeant in boot camp :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV3FckrEvNKR8tNE0O8539frGmFs8zm5jvr_50QQHXmAQr-OqhcA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Enjoyed the session tonight meno! Nice to change it up at bit and do something different. Will look forward to what Wednesdays have in store for us from now on. Plus I set new 400m and 1/2 mile PBs (might not have done speed work before but they still count!) not bad for an aul training run!

228601.png

I'm like yourself Gavlor, evening runs all they way. I just can't face it in the mornings! I'm more of a 6 snooze person! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I finish most midweek runs by 6:30 am. Once you get used to rolling out of bed it just becomes second nature. You don't really need all that sleep that you think you need either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

+1 to that - really enjoyed pyramid strides today. Have been taking it easy due to ITBS issues and am glad to be getting back out there. Physio says no runs over 5 miles for couple of weeks. Morning and late afternoon runs for me as I don't like the country roads in the dark on my own!

• Advertisement

Your graph is very different to mine Blocky....how come you have 11 peaks? Did you stop to tie your shoe around 7 min?

Advertisement