Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Personal water-carrying bike sherpa? How can that not be unfair? Sure, he still has to run on his own legs. But it strikes me that the kind of runner who takes this kind of liberty with the "rules" (or lack of them) would probably hop up on the crossbar for a few miles if he thought he would get away with it.

What's next - seven league boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm late to the party Runchick, but I wouldn't be put off by your experience, every run is an opportunity to learn. I dont think you'll repeat the experience so chalk it down to experience and move on.

there'll be other races.

How about a race report from yourself, Killian. Or did I miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Runchick wrote: »
    Just catching up on the thread after a lovely 5 day break with the family, plenty of time to lick my wounds, reflect and get over Limerick...tears were shed, late night discussions were had and the events were talked over and over and over - god I'm bored of my Limerick misadventure :rolleyes: But I just wanted to share a few things - a few embarrassing truths so fek it...

The main reason I crashed was my absolute obsession with avoiding toilet breaks :( I stopped at 9 miles to pee, fell behind the pacers, caught up and then vowed to not stop again :eek: From then on I merely sipped at water - sometimes taking a gel without any water to wash it down :eek: Yes it was hot so I poured it over me thinking that would suffice. I had 2 high5 tabs with me. I dissolved one in a bottle of water, drank the neck out of it and then thought there's no way I'm drinking all that so threw it away :o I then came up with the stupidest brainwave ever - I'll chew the next one - so I broke a bit off in my mouth and took a mouthful of water to 'dilute' it and left it at that...didn't take any more - more than half of that tab was in my gel belt when I finished.

So instead of drinking plenty, staying hydrated and finishing the race that was going so well, and maybe losing another 30 seconds stopping for the loo, I crashed in magnificent style (grazes on the side of my knee and head and pain on one ankle as reminders of falling :o). The feeling was exactly the same as 2 previous occasions many years ago when I'd got too much sun on holidays and collapsed with sunstroke.

Hobbling to the end - no matter how long it would take - would have been a much more desirable outcome than not finishing the thing. Not finishing is the worst feeling ever - well in my case at least because I know I was being so stupid.

I'm not looking for sympathy with this. I wasn't going to post but thought it might help someone else not to make the same mistakes...not that there's anyone out there as daft as me...please feel free to give me stick - but not sympathy. The lesson is learnt and I'm now moving on.

BTW I agree with the points DrQuirky made and don't rule out the possibility that I would have crashed and burned a few miles further in due to my inexperience, but I guess I'll never know that...

Hi Runchick....I think you've learned your own lesson here. I generally don't have that problem later in a run because I sweat a lot so i get rid of it that way. The only advice I'd give is not to go to the extreme opposite strategy next time as taking on too much water can be a problem too I believe. It is very hard to train for those conditions though in this country because the weather is so variable. Good luck with your next endeavour though.I'm sure it'll be a different ,more positive story to tell next time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi Runchick....I think you've learned your own lesson here. I generally don't have that problem later in a run because I sweat a lot so i get rid of it that way. The only advice I'd give is not to go to the extreme opposite strategy next time as taking on too much water can be a problem too I believe. It is very hard to train for those conditions though in this country because the weather is so variable. Good luck with your next endeavour though.I'm sure it'll be a different ,more positive story to tell next time out.

When I was doing dcm my hands swelled over the last few miles. I was actually wondering if it was from the other extreme of taking on too much water. I did take the salt tablets, maybe two as well.
    My hands were so swollen that I couldn't bend them and I couldn't see the knots in them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Big Logger wrote: »
    When I was doing dcm my hands swelled over the last few miles. I was actually wondering if it was from the other extreme of taking on too much water. I did take the salt tablets, maybe two as well.
    My hands were so swollen that I couldn't bend them and I couldn't see the knots in them anymore.

Here ya go Rasher

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-swelling/AN01403

drquirky wrote: »

Thats interesting, yeah thankfully I didn't get the confusion or vomiting so it was probably just from effort alright but they were massive and I got a fright when i looked at them. :D

Big Logger wrote: »
    Thats interesting, yeah thankfully I didn't get the confusion or vomiting so it was probably just from effort alright but they were massive and I got a fright when i looked at them. :D

As long as they're not this big I'd say you're ok:D

20090420230902_bighands_earthday_dc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Runchick thank you very much for sharing your experience. Very honest of you. A When I ran Paris last month (my 2nd ever marathon) I made a decision to try and drink less in order to avoid having to pee. However as little as I drank I still ending up peeing behind a tree and making two visits to a portaloo. Very disappointing. I was actually in tears at one point at around mile 20 with the cramps in my stomach trying not to use the portaloo.... I was raging with myself for a while after thinking of the time I wasted but I don't know what else I could have done. I guess the main thing is that we learn from these things and know what to do to avoid them in the future. It doesn't make it any easier at the time though. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Portlaw,Tom Jordan 5mile Road Race.10/5/13
    Headed down to this race last night using it as a substitute for a VO2max session with possibly a 36min target & also just to soak up the atmosphere of a race.Wasn’t sure if I could go to the race as Mrs.Docjewel has hurt her back but she went through the pain barrier to come to the race & bring the kids with us (thank you Mrs. Docjewel).

A large crowd had turned up for this race(245 finishers) as we awaited the start the noise & chatter from the assembled athletes just grew louder & louder,so much so it was practically impossible to hear the loudspeaker.
    After a 5 minute delay we were off,even though I thought I had positioned myself halfway I still was stuck trying to weave my away around groups of slower runners but one group in particular really pissing me off,5 of them,straight across the road all wearing headphones,I managed to bite my tongue & kept telling myself about the bigger picture of Cork,so back off for a little bit & wait for an opportunity to pass these morons.Once passed this group the field was starting to spread out a little but soon had caught up with a group of about 6 runners.
    Mile 1 ,6:56, HR157
    The next 2 miles were pretty flat except for a small hump back bridge towards the 3mile mark.The one advantage of being boxed in so early is I can’t really go off too fast but it also feels good to be passing other runners rather than being the runner passed out.During these 2 miles myself & another runner seemed to be leading the chase as we caught up with several groups of runners & continued to overtake them.At about the 3 mile mark the race really evened out at this stage I was passed by a group of 4,but could tell by at least 2 of their breathing that they were working really hard.
    Mile 2 ,6:59,HR169….Mile 3,7:15,HR166
    Mile 4 had a bit of a climb to it for about 800m,a quick shout of encouragement from OH’s relations & off to tackle this little incline,at this stage I am more or less running on my own but bit by bit I pick off the group of 4 that previously passed & also pass another group of 5 runners,feeling good here when we reach the top of the hill.
    Mile 4,7:22,HR168
    A quick glance at the watch here at it says 28:32, 7mins & 1 sec outside my PB.Now I hadn’t set off with intention of setting a PB but it was like a test, could I do a sub 7min mile now & prove to myself that the PB from earlier in the year was not a once off.Bit of a downhill for the first half of the mile & again I’m starting to take advantage of it & pick off another 4 runners along this stretch.The last half mile is a little incline again but I do a carrer_move on it & hunt down my victims:D my best to try & catch & pass each runner & we approach the finish,I managed to pass another 3 runners along this stretch while not being passed myself which is a nice confidence booster,A big Cheer from Mrs Docjewel & the kids to help push me over the finish line.
    Mile 5,6:57,HR172
    Official time 35:29, 2 seconds PB:)

I wore a Heart Rate Monitor last night for the first time in ages so don’t have much to compare it to but the effort seems pretty even throughout & the good thing (from my point of view anyway)is that I still felt good at the finish & if the race was to go on for another 2 or 3 miles at least I think I could have kept up that effort pretty ok.

Last 20miler planned for tomorrow morning before Cork.

• Advertisement

Great running Docjewel. looks like you are in good stead for Cork.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great running Docjewel. looks like you are in good stead for Cork.

Thanks,I'm really looking forward to it now,while 3:30 maybe a little out of my grasp if conditions are right hopefully I won't be too far off the pace

The "morons" didn't slow you down too much though: your first mile was the fastest. Good running!

murphd77 wrote: »
    The "morons" didn't slow you down too much though: your first mile was the fastest. Good running!

To be fair its probably not right to call them that,if anything they may be starters like we all were once & probably should be congratulated for getting out there & running.They probably did me a big favour too in holding me back rather than running off too fast & maybe not being able to have as good a finish,but in the report I tried to tell it how I felt at the time.
    I'm sure if they were close to me during a run they'd have some names for me with spitting/clearing the nose being the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great run doc! If you felt that good after I'm sure another 5 mile PB won't be hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fab race report doc, it must have felt great to be passing so many the whole way :) congrats on the PB...very good day at the office :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Runchick ? did u get to see the pics on sportcam - some very good ones at midway - where I was 'trying' to keep up - would u believe I have the same dilema - took 4 gels and came back with one - why didnt I stick to the plan and could I have held out for a sub 4 if I did etc etc - anyways I'm hoping to be back on the road this week all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

I'm looking for some advise here as I have messed up the last week of training before taper,never got my long run in this weekend first one I missed have all year.Last week I done 21 miles and have done a 20 & 2x18 mile runs as well

The problem is I think 4 weeks is going to be to long without a good 20 miler,and I need to believe on the starting line that I have done the training properly or the doubts will creep in and I don't need that on marathon day.

So what I'm asking is will a two week taper be ok and have any of you gone with a 2 week taper.

i

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tenreds wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advise here as I have messed up the last week of training before taper,never got my long run in this weekend first one I missed have all year.Last week I done 21 miles and have done a 20 & 2x18 mile runs as well

The problem is I think 4 weeks is going to be to long without a good 20 miler,and I need to believe on the starting line that I have done the training properly or the doubts will creep in and I don't need that on marathon day.

So what I'm asking is will a two week taper be ok and have any of you gone with a 2 week taper.

/quote]

I def wouldn't consider it. It's better to be 98% fit at the start and feeling fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Tenreds if that all uve missed uve done well n I agree with gavlor I wudnt do it, just do your planned 14-16 2 weeks out as normal. I've been told apparently u will do better 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Thanks folks,always good advise given here,taper it is so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Southman, thanks for letting me know about the pics, didn't realise I had such a scary race face :eek:

As someone who never usually runs on a Monday I notice week 20 isn't up on the spreadsheet yet - does it go on later in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am beginning to get a mild sense of panic…. My stomach lurches every time someone mentions the marathon! It seemed like ages away before I went away on holiday, but now that I’m back, it’s really beginning to sink in that it’s only 3 weeks away :eek: On the plus side, this time three weeks, it will hopefully all be over (and I’ll have a nice PB under my belt of course :cool:)

Couple of questions, does anyone remember the name of the carbohydrate drink we got in the DCM pack, I drank it the night before and my superstitious side insists I take it again! Also, I want to get a good sports massage before the race, how far out should I get it? Is the week before too close? Can’t remember what I did before DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Guessing here, but was the drink high5?

The lad who gave me my massage said he was giving them from about 10days out, up to the morning of the race. I had one before DCM12 on the Friday night.

Was it Gatorade, Powerade :confused:...we can keep guessing until someone gets it right :rolleyes:
    I would advise on getting the massage at least 3 days beforehand if its deep tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Couple of questions, does anyone remember the name of the carbohydrate drink we got in the DCM pack, I drank it the night before and my superstitious side insists I take it again! Also, I want to get a good sports massage before the race, how far out should I get it? Is the week before too close? Can’t remember what I did before DCM.

I get mine done about 10 days before the race, I wouldn't risk it only a few days before as it takes a couple days to flush out the deadness after.

Haven't a clue on the carb drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

blockic wrote: »
    I get mine done about 10 days before the race, I wouldn't risk it only a few days before as it takes a couple days to flush out the deadness after.

Haven't a clue on the carb drink!

Im pretty sure it was that Spar Orange Isotonic stuff?

ncmc wrote: »
    does anyone remember the name of the carbohydrate drink we got in the DCM pack

I'm pretty sure it wasn't High 5 or Powerade and definitely not Gatorade - I recall that it was a brand that I'd used myself - either Lucozade Sport or the Spar generic brand. Possibly the latter as they were a sponsor (although Lucozade may also have been a sponsor).

[edit - post crossed with overpronator so I'll second the Spar drink].

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ayldublin

Definitely HIGH 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Don't think it was High 5, it didn't have the colouring of a High 5 product, iirc, it was a powder in a white sachet. This was in the pack we got at the expo so not the Spar Isotonic. Just been down at the sports shop seeing if I could jog my memory, but couldn't see anything that looked familiar. I suppose they're all the same really, so I could get the High 5 one.

Will book the massage for the end of next week or start of following week, I agree with Blockic, my legs always feel a bit dead for a few days after.

Advertisement