Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

*edit just realised what you were asking for!

Best of luck in Cork, hope you nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Def High 5 NCMC - Have the pack here with me as I never used it - 2 numbers actually stand out on the front of the pack - study 1 26% Further Study 2 9% Faster.Citrus flavour exp 08/2015 - by all means if u cant get one u can have this one -)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Don't think it was High 5, it didn't have the colouring of a High 5 product, iirc, it was a powder in a white sachet.
    SouthMan wrote: »
    Def High 5 NCMC - Have the pack here with me as I never used it - 2 numbers actually stand out on the front of the pack - study 1 26% Further Study 2 9% Faster.Citrus flavour exp 08/2015 - by all means if u cant get one u can have this one -)

Ah coming back to me now! I think I still have mine too, the white pack was a strange colour for High 5 packaging I thought myself alright!! But High 5 indeed it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I intend to get mine done at least week to 10 days beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks Southman, that's so good of you. I am near a really good sports shop which has loads of supplements, so I should be able to get some now I know what i'm looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Just checked and it was definitely high five packet. I also have two if u want them. Can post to u if u do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah, the sachet, not the bottle. High 5 alright. I have mine too. Looks like you're the only one who actually used yours, ncmc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

blockic wrote: »
    I get mine done about 10 days before the race, I wouldn't risk it only a few days before as it takes a couple days to flush out the deadness after.

This is news to me but strikes a jarring chord with me - I mentioned after GLR that on the morning I just didn't feel "on" for the race. I had a massage on the previous Wednesday - I wonder did I leave it too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I had massage on the thurs b4 dcm and got taped up at same time for my achilles problem. no adverse effects. no problems with achilles in fact it was cured by end of race! If only I hit my target time though.

Hmm - in fairness I don't think my Physio went too hard on me but anyway. Will book it earlier in future, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

So I was right with the High5 then ;)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hmm - in fairness I don't think my Physio went too hard on me but anyway. Will book it earlier in future, just in case.

Wednesday should have been fine if they went easy-ish! Friday would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Havent had a run in 9 days. I had over an hour massage in and around glutes area today... All very tight and sore! But still a big clonking noise when we finished. He was scratching his head. Flexibility is okay. Maybe an osteopath I need! Less than 3 weeks to cork ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Steroo wrote: »
    Havent had a run in 9 days. I had over an hour massage in and around glutes area today... All very tight and sore! But still a big clonking noise when we finished. He was scratching his head. Flexibility is okay. Maybe an osteopath I need! Less than 3 weeks to cork ;(

I know you've trained your ass off for cork but there will be plenty more opportunities. My advice is to give cork a wide berth. Maybe see how you are for Waterford at end of June so your training doesn't go to waste? Gives you a chance to rest up a bit more Or else wait till Dublin. 26.2 is a long haul on one leg

Gavlor wrote: »
    I know you've trained your ass off for cork but there will be plenty more opportunities. My advice is to give cork a wide berth. Maybe see how you are for Waterford at end of June so your training doesn't go to waste? Gives you a chance to rest up a bit more Or else wait till Dublin. 26.2 is a long haul on one leg

I reckon this week is the make or break week for you Stephen. Give it a few more days and if there is still no progress by the end of this week then I'd be echoing Gavlor above. No point doing long term damage for one race. Waterford would be a good alternative.

Give it a couple more days..

blockic wrote: »
    I reckon this week is the make or break week for you Stephen. Give it a few more days and if there is still no progress by the end of this week then I'd be echoing Gavlor above. No point doing long term damage for one race. Waterford would be a good alternative.

Give it a couple more days..

Thanks lads I agree. I will see how this week unfolds. Arse is aching here after some DeEp massage so maybe it will work. But unlikely. I will defo get a skeletal experts opinion and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I've fingers and toes crossed for you Stephen, I reckon or chiropractor or oestepath could be the way to go. I was always a bit sceptical but my husband went to one when he had a bad back and it was amazing how badly aligned he was, basically one leg was longer than the other, he was so much improved after just a couple of sessions, so could be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

First 4miler after Limerick last night - hard to believe a little over a week ago I ran 26.2 Miles - sluggish is an understatement - I guess its normal to feel that way ? ease back in to it I suppose.

First 4miler after Limerick last night - hard to believe a little over a week ago I ran 26.2 Miles - sluggish is an understatement - I guess its normal to feel that way ? ease back in to it I suppose.

That's perfectly normal, take those runs very easy for a couple of weeks. Between around 90 seconds to 2 mins slower than Marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I did a 7 miler this morning at 8:59/mile. I'm hoping to break 4 hours for DCM so from now on will be doing my race pace runs (hopefully) at 9:00/mile. I think ill be able for it....I'll be knuckling down to my training plan the week after next anyway so time will tell I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Anyone have P&D 18wk 55m plan on a spreadsheet? save me having to transcribe it from the book.

Please & thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

When is the training all kicking off for DCM?
    I don't know what to do, whether to try training for it.
    I'm only doing about 3 runs a week at the moment, highest being about 7 to 8 miles. The other two about 3 to 4 miles.
    I don't think I'd bother if I'm not going to better last years time and this time last year I was fitter than I am now.
    I defo won't have time with work to do any more than Hal 2. plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Big Logger wrote: »
    When is the training all kicking off for DCM?
    I don't know what to do, whether to try training for it.
    I'm only doing about 3 runs a week at the moment, highest being about 7 to 8 miles. The other two about 3 to 4 miles.
    I don't think I'd bother if I'm not going to better last years time and this time last year I was fitter than I am now.
    I defo won't have time with work to do any more than Hal 2. plan.

I'll be starting a 12 week plan at the end of July I guess, but I would be looking to start at at least 35 mpw and ideally 5-6 days of running.
    I guess the plan would be OK for anyone happy to peak between 50-60 mpw, but given the fact that it will contain 2 toughish sessions per week I don't think I would recommend it to anyone with a lowish mileage base. The injury risk would be too great.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll be starting a 12 week plan at the end of July I guess, but I would be looking to start at at least 35 mpw and ideally 5-6 days of running.
    I guess the plan would be OK for anyone happy to peak between 50-60 mpw, but given the fact that it will contain 2 toughish sessions per week I don't think I would recommend it to anyone with a lowish mileage base. The injury risk would be too great.

Yeah sounds like your plan will suit the likes of runchick and Dilbert.

Yeah sounds like your plan will suit the likes of runchick and Dilbert.

Now now Sis - claws away. You know there are no more milk lorries in the city and even if there were they wouldn't deliver just a saucerful.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Now now Sis - claws away. You know there are no more milk lorries in the city and even if there were they wouldn't deliver just a saucerful.

haha...I didn't even mean it like that :pac:
    I might be straight to the point but I'm defo not catty...too much of a tomboy for that lark.

Though I think meno was trying to jealous me by putting that up there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Meno's plan has a poor relative .... it's called the DCM Novices plan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Though I think meno was trying to jealous me by putting that up there :(

Plenty of time before July to get yourself up to running 30 mpw regularly, but I'm going to be honest here. I just don't think you can really run a good ambitious paced marathon unless you are prepared to do at least 50 mpw a few times and at least 3 20+ milers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Steroo wrote: »

Sorry to hear that Steroo :( really hope you at least find out what's wrong so you can start putting it right, best of luck

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Steroo :( really hope you at least find out what's wrong so you can start putting it right, best of luck

Thanks. Off to see a physical therapist tomorrow and that is where I draw the line. I'm beginning to give up on cork now :(
    But if he gives me hope of recovery in 2 weeks ill gladly rest and line up behind 4 hour pacers. So we will see.

Advertisement