Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Right ankle killing me tonight n worsened during my running session, prob shud have stopped but as was doing an out n back course had hoped I wud run it out n by time realised that wasn't gonna happen n it was in fact getting worse, felt better to keep going till I got back to car, will b gutted if I injured :( will contact physio 1st thing in morn n try get sports massage hopefully in next day or 2! Haven't had any rub out this yr yet n know calves def very tight at this stage. Hopefully won't b out for many days, not happy. Stephen hope u b ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

menoscemo wrote: »
    Plenty of time before July to get yourself up to running 30 mpw regularly, but I'm going to be honest here. I just don't think you can really run a good ambitious paced marathon unless you are prepared to do at least 50 mpw a few times and at least 3 20+ milers.....

Yeah sounds positive, will see how things pan out. if I can get some decent sleeps between work and runs I should be able to manage, one would hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

New runner wrote: »
    Right ankle killing me tonight n worsened during my running session, prob shud have stopped but as was doing an out n back course had hoped I wud run it out n by time realised that wasn't gonna happen n it was in fact getting worse, felt better to keep going till I got back to car, will b gutted if I injured :( will contact physio 1st thing in morn n try get sports massage hopefully in next day or 2! Haven't had any rub out this yr yet n know calves def very tight at this stage. Hopefully won't b out for many days, not happy. Stephen hope u b ok too.

Sorry to hear that new runner - sounds very similar to what happened to me a couple of weeks ago (won't bore everyone again with the details). My advice is be careful. I'm an old fart and it took me 15 days to feel normal - your experience will probably be better but be conservative.

Thanks murphd77 , feels bit better this morn thankfully, so hopefully won't b too bad, will get it looked at n def no running til after that, hopefully won't b out too long. Brufen gel, brufen tabs , tiger balm n plenty rubbing is helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Ah no way New runner, best of luck at physio :)How long until your race now? Surely you are tapering soon?

Murph sorry to hear about you too, are you still hoping to run the half? Bloody injuries are such a nightmare :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks runchick, yeah on taper now, it's 2 weeks on Sunday, 2nd June, day before cork! Nit too bad to walk on this morn so hopefully b fine, got app for 10am this morn b4 work so I'm delighted.
    Hope u recovering well n enjoying ur easy runs. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Runchick wrote: »
    Ah no way New runner, best of luck at physio :)How long until your race now? Surely you are tapering soon?

Murph sorry to hear about you too, are you still hoping to run the half? Bloody injuries are such a nightmare :mad:

Thanks Runchick - yes, still hoping to run the half. I contacted the CCM people and they'll be issuing a HM bib. The foot finally feels normal and the physio thinks I should be OK as long as I ease back into it. Will try a short run tonight and see how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Quiet on here so time for a check in!

Ticking along myself nicely these days and starting to ramp up again after the marathon recovery. Plan is to mess around with short distances the next couple of weeks and then put the head down for a solid 8 week block in 10km focused training incl a 26.2 mile BeepBeep style LSR on the June bank holiday. ;)

Goal being a 10km race in the middle of July. Very few and far between surprisingly around that time of year. I currently have the option of Fit Magazine 10km in Cork or the Fingal 10km. Fingal looks like a twisty enough course.

Anyone here do it last year? How did ye find it?

Need to get the competitiveness going in me again and start putting in some updates to the 10 round numbers thread :) Might even take a shot at the 800m if a race suits before starting marathon plan in the end of July.

blockic wrote: »

Ticking along myself nicely these days and starting to ramp up again after the marathon recovery. Plan is to mess around with short distances the next couple of weeks and then put the head down for a solid 8 week block in 10km focused training incl a 26.2 mile BeepBeep style LSR on the June bank holiday. ;)

Goal being a 10km race in the middle of July. Very few and far between surprisingly around that time of year. I currently have the option of Fit Magazine 10km in Cork or the Fingal 10km. Fingal looks like a twisty enough course.

I liked it, was easier than the GIR anyway. But from what I remember the wind last year held everyone back. Everyone was talking about that.
    There was a bit of an incline/drag for about 3k in the middle - i think and then the wind was in the face there too.
    There is a twist at about 9k alright but its all downhill after that till about the last 200m where theres a short incline and then flat to the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I did the Fingal 10k last year alright. Found the middle part tough going although, admittedly, I hadn't been feeling all that well in the lead up to it. Still managed a PB at the time.

KMS 6-9 involved an incline but the last kilometer was fast as its pretty much all downhill. Just had a quick look at the GPS data and there were at least 2 very tight turns on the course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/203206045

• Advertisement

elPadrino wrote: »
    I did the Fingal 10k last year alright. Found the middle part tough going although, admittedly, I hadn't been feeling all that well in the lead up to it. Still managed a PB at the time.

KMS 6-9 involved an incline but the last kilometer was fast as its pretty much all downhill. Just had a quick look at the GPS data and there were at least 2 very tight turns on the course.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/203206045
    Big Logger wrote: »
    I liked it, was easier than the GIR anyway. But from what I remember the wind last year held everyone back. Everyone was talking about that.
    There was a bit of an incline/drag for about 3k in the middle - i think and then the wind was in the face there too.
    There is a twist at about 9k alright but its all downhill after that till about the last 200m where theres a short incline and then flat to the finish.

Thanks for that BL and elPadrino, miles 4 and 5 look tough alright but you would gain a fair bit of time in miles 2 and 3 based on the elevation. Was it congested along the route?

Thanks for that BL and elPadrino, miles 4 and 5 look tough alright but you would gain a fair bit of time in miles 2 and 3 based on the elevation. Was it congested along the route?

No not a bit where I was anyway. The roads in Swords are wide enough.
    The only part where it might be a bit dodge is where the twist happens at mile 9 which is for all of a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I don't remember congestion causing any problems to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

What way are you going to attack CCM Blockic? Are you going to do it as an LSR or are you going to race it to some degree?

ncmc wrote: »
    What way are you going to attack CCM Blockic? Are you going to do it as an LSR or are you going to race it to some degree?

Yep- I'll be running it as an LSR, while walking through some water stations to simulate for marathon in October. So it will be between 7:30 and 8min/mile pace.

No not a bit where I was anyway. The roads in Swords are wide enough.
    The only part where it might be a bit dodge is where the twist happens at mile 9 which is for all of a few seconds.

Thanks, I hope I won't be running in the 9th mile though! ;)

Sounds alright actually, good option so for me, I'll wait and see what the Cork route is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Yep- I'll be running it as an LSR, while walking through some water stations to simulate for marathon in October. So it will be between 7:30 and 8min/mile pace.
    I hate you :mad:

Yep- I'll be running it as an LSR, while walking through some water stations at 7:30 and 8min/mile pace.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Need to get the competitiveness going in me again and start putting in some updates to the 10 round numbers thread :) Might even take a shot at the 800m if a race suits before starting marathon plan in the end of July.

It really wasn't a fast course last year. I got a PB at the time but I would have expected about a minute faster.
    Big hill for about a mile which coincided with heading straight into the wind (around Mile 5). I ran 39:59 (av pace 6:25/mile) but the mile uphill and into the wind was a 7:20 :eek:.
    It was definitely a fast finish but even on a good day (no wind) it wouldn't at all be a fast course. I know most people who did it and GIR last year were about 40 seconds slower in Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

puke...

• Advertisement

Thanks runchick, yeah on taper now, it's 2 weeks on Sunday, 2nd June, day before cork! Nit too bad to walk on this morn so hopefully b fine, got app for 10am this morn b4 work so I'm delighted.
    Hope u recovering well n enjoying ur easy runs. Thanks again

Well New runner, what's the verdict?

Well New runner, what's the verdict?

Hi Runchick , thankfully feel it much better today. He reckons it's inflamed bursa ( think he called it) was quite swollen n hot , told me to ice as much as possible n usual compression n rest, not much chance of that as working but spent most of day with small ice pack down my sock n using ankle compression support n anti inflammatories , really pleased tonite as feel it much better n hardly sore at all to walk on , weight bearing on the 1 leg though still def hurts a bit but if same improvement tomorrow I'd hope try wee run on xtrainer tomoro eve , if hurts ill stop as know wud do more harm than good. Thanks for asking.

Hi Runchick , thankfully feel it much better today. He reckons it's inflamed bursa ( think he called it) was quite swollen n hot , told me to ice as much as possible n usual compression n rest, not much chance of that as working but spent most of day with small ice pack down my sock n using ankle compression support n anti inflammatories , really pleased tonite as feel it much better n hardly sore at all to walk on , weight bearing on the 1 leg though still def hurts a bit but if same improvement tomorrow I'd hope try wee run on xtrainer tomoro eve , if hurts ill stop as know wud do more harm than good. Thanks for asking.

Glad to hear its improving, best of luck and you know yourself not to run again too soon, a few day's rest won't do any harm :)

ncmc wrote: »
    I hate you mad.png
    rolleyes.png
    puke...

Guys, you might look at that time in the exact same way I look at the times for likes of Krusty, Kiely, TRR etc. in awe. But the fact is no matter where you are in the ladder there is always someone faster/better so best to keep performances relative. That's all we can do! smile.png

Although I personally also find it good to have some rivalry banter (nothing too serious wink.png)between someone who would be of similar ability to you to push you that small bit further. Take myself and Gavlor for example. It's all fun and games for the most part but I can tell you in Dungarvan 10 this year, there was no way I would have got the time I got if he wasn't prancing up ahead of me! biggrin.pngtongue.png Probably just my competitive edge coming out but at times that can be a good thing.

I'll probably be hammered for that now but I said I'd put it out there. I have no doubt there is a little bit of that in all of us.

Lets face it though there have some excellent performances on here recently even being down in Limerick I had as much praise for Killians performance of grinding out to the finish when things were not going to plan as I had for Gavlor and career_move super race times.

We are all joggers at the end of the day. The main thing is that you enjoy it and leave everything you have out on the course.

Glad to hear its improving, best of luck and you know yourself not to run again too soon, a few day's rest won't do any harm :)

Thanks, no I suppose not but u know the way u think its going ruin ur whole marathon if u don't run , madness lol!

Guys, you might look at that time in the exact same way I look at the times for likes of Krusty, Kiely, TRR etc. in awe. But the fact is no matter where you are in the ladder there is always someone faster/better so best to keep performances relative. That's all we can do! smile.png

Although I personally also find it good to have some rivalry banter (nothing too serious wink.png)between someone who would be of similar ability to you to push you that small bit further. Take myself and Gavlor for example. It's all fun and games for the most part but I can tell you in Dungarvan 10 this year, there was no way I would have got the time I got if he wasn't prancing up ahead of me! biggrin.pngtongue.png Probably just my competitive edge coming out but at times that can be a good thing.

I'll probably be hammered for that now but I said I'd put it out there. I have no doubt there is a little bit of that in all of us.

Lets face it though there have some excellent performances on here recently even being down in Limerick I had as much praise for Killians performance of grinding out to the finish when things were not going to plan as I had for Gavlor and career_move super race times.

We are all joggers at the end of the day. The main thing is that you enjoy it and leave everything you have out on the course.

I'd say you look at your own time and yourself in awe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Theres also no way you would have got the same time as me if I hadn't had about 18 pints 2 nights before ;):)

There's no harm whatsoever with a bit of friendly rivalry to make things interesting

I'd say you look at your own time and yourself in awe :pac:

No tbh. Did I think I would be where I am now in terms of race times this time last year? Not in your life.

However am I happy with where I'm am now? No. One can always get better. :cool:

Gavlor wrote: »
    Theres also no way you would have got the same time as me if I hadn't had about 18 pints 2 nights before ;):)

There's no harm whatsoever with a bit of friendly rivalry to make things interesting

Speaking of Dungarvan 10. It was a dead heat that day. We need a aul smackdown/rematch seeing as you are coming up with excuses! :p 5 miler would suit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

FYP
    Guys, you might look at that time in the exact same way I look at the times for likes of Krusty, Kiely, TRR ,RunningKing

:pac:

Advertisement