Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

FYP

:pac:

You wish! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

blockic wrote: »
    No tbh. Did I think I would be where I am now in terms of race times this time last year? Not in your life.

However am I happy with where I'm am now? No. One can always get better. :cool:

One was joking blocky...one is off now to have brunch with ones mum.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Speaking of Dungarvan 10. It was a dead heat that day. We need a aul smackdown/rematch seeing as you are coming up with excuses! :p 5 miler would suit!

Anytime! Well actually give me some time to dry out first. Another feckin work thing last night till 3.30am followed by a 7.30 am start put paid to my 40k cycle. I'm like a dog now that I didn't go but I played hurling with my son instead. Does that count as cross training? He was cross when I beat him
    42-12 to 0-01 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Guys, you might look at that time in the exact same way I look at the times for likes of Krusty, Kiely, TRR etc. in awe. But the fact is no matter where you are in the ladder there is always someone faster/better so best to keep performances relative. That's all we can do! smile.png

Although I personally also find it good to have some rivalry banter (nothing too serious ;))between someone who would be of similar ability to you to push you that small bit further. Take myself and Gavlor for example. It's all fun and games for the most part but I can tell you in Dungarvan 10 this year, there was no way I would have got the time I got if he wasn't prancing up ahead of me! :Dtongue.png Probably just my competitive edge coming out but at times that can be a good thing.

I'll probably be hammered for that now but I said I'd put it out there. I have no doubt there is a little bit of that in all of us.

Lets face it though there have some excellent performances on here recently even being down in Limerick I had as much praise for Killians performance of grinding out to the finish when things were not going to plan as I had for Gavlor and career_move super race times.

We are all joggers at the end of the day. The main thing is that you enjoy it and leave everything you have out on the course.

Well said! Doesn't stop us from being jealous of your abilities though;).....and Gavlor's of course:D

Had my first run since last Sunday tonight. I've been reading a book on Chi running recently and decided to try a few things suggested in the book. Now either my legs were just fresh from no running over last few days or this Chi running thing is a revelation.

Was focusing on form trying to lean forward from the core,relax everything below the hips ,make the legs as light as possible and the run felt easy and comfortable all the way.

6.19 miles @ 7:56avg pace

Splits 8:16,8:07,7:57,7:54,7:50,7:41, (7:05)

The best run I've had in a long time.I've had a crappy week diet/rest wise so was completely expecting a sluggish run but the exact opposite happened:):)..Will be interesting to see if that was just a fluke when I go out tomorrow for a run

Anybody else try this Chi Running lark? (I know Steroo has)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Yep- I'll be running it as an LSR, while walking through some water stations to simulate for marathon in October. So it will be between 7:30 and 8min/mile pace.
    ncmc wrote: »
    I hate you :mad:

Don't worry about him,first to the bar buys the DRINKS:D:D:D:D:D:D (& reserves seating for everyone)

docjewel wrote: »
    Don't worry about him,first to the bar buys the DRINKS:D:D:D:D:D:D (& reserves seating for everyone)

Well it would be handy if the chief party organiser actually organised where we will be going first! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Well it would be handy if the chief party organiser actually organised where we will be going first! :D;)

She's too busy running :D

I thought The Roundy had been nominated ???

A suggestion for yourself & Gavlor..

5 mile re-match in Dungarvan,Friday 5th July, fast course, approx 250 to 300 runners, settle this little rivalry once & for all :p:p

docjewel wrote: »
    She's too busy running :D

I thought The Roundy had been nominated ???

Upstairs jacks rules it out. The Wash or Woodford perhaps? Not sure where the jacks is in the Woodford, Usually a blur when I do be in these places! :D

ncmc will be on this like lightening I'm sure. She'll sort it!

Anyone running the park run in malahide these days?
    i've volunteered again after the fun i had last time.
    i'm hoping to meet some of the boardsies face to face who gave me a hard time on blocky's log. i'm pretty handy with the wooden end of a sweeping brush ;)

• Advertisement

Big Logger wrote: »
    Anyone running the park run in malahide these days?
    i've volunteered again after the fun i had last time.
    i'm hoping to meet some of the boardsies face to face who gave me a hard time on blocky's log. i'm pretty handy with the wooden end of a sweeping brush ;)

Might make it there this week alright.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Might make it there this week alright.

Ah RR, you're way too sweet to give me a hard time :)
    Its actually next week that I'm volunteering. They seem to be short at the moment, they emailed me so i said i may as well do it.
    Have you ever volunteered?

Big Logger wrote: »
    Have you ever volunteered?

I have yes, just the once, but I have helped out unofficially with the token sorting afterwards too a couple of times. Probably should volunteer again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I thought we'd decided on The Raven? Think it has downstairs loos, or The Woodford I think also has downstairs loos. I'll double check today with some if the guys in work who have a life and actually get to the pub these days! Doc, the day I'm too busy running to organise a p*ss up, satan will need snow tyres to get to work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I don't care where we go, by 2 weeks time I'll drink it out of a 1000 mile sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Thanks for the advice the other day Blocky - went last night for 5m and got on far better than tuesday night - this kido thought he could go back to pre limerick speed str8 away -)) although I'm not happy with one of my calves - niggling away and I dont know whether to stay off it (already gave it a weeks rest) or pick up the phone to physio - my heads tells me it needs a rub out after Limerick - Is there no ending to this headwrecking stuff - and DCM to come yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Beef wrote: »
    I don't care where we go, by 2 weeks time I'll drink it out of a 1000 mile sock.

This should be adopted as the thread motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Really disappointed, foot still swollen n sore, tried yesterday to see if possible to run but no chance! After 20secs knew no way! Doing everything possible, icing it, heat packs, anti inflammatories, arnica tabs. Really frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds frustrating New runner.What did the physio say about runnign a marathon in two weeks? If it's bursitis I would not be too optimistic, I'm afraid. :(

I feel your pain, being in the same boat more or less.

Thanks murphd77, got ultrasound done tonite there at 8.30, had rang this morn n left message to a woman in Derry , she only rang back at 7.30 this eve n she kindly agreed see me tonite, she hopeful it b ok, reckons she has freed up all the fluid build up n keep doing what I doing, icing, etc n she reckons shud b able to run soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

New runner wrote: »
    Thanks murphd77, got ultrasound done tonite there at 8.30, had rang this morn n left message to a woman in Derry , she only rang back at 7.30 this eve n she kindly agreed see me tonite, she hopeful it b ok, reckons she has freed up all the fluid build up n keep doing what I doing, icing, etc n she reckons shud b able to run soon.

Gutted for you Newrunner. Did this just come out of the blue or did you get any warning signs? It must be incredibly frustrating for you but at least you got through all the training before it happened so there's some hope. Let us know how you go later :)

got ultrasound done tonite there at 8.30, had rang this morn n left message to a woman in Derry , she only rang back at 7.30 this eve n she kindly agreed see me tonite, she hopeful it b ok, reckons she has freed up all the fluid build up n keep doing what I doing, icing, etc n she reckons shud b able to run soon.

Fingers crosssed for you - best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Good luck, I hope shes right.

I did a ten miler this morning. Only managed 9'16 mins/mile, was kind of hoping to run at 9 mins/mile so a bit disappointing. Maybe I should concentrate more on doing shorer runs at that pace and not worry too much about my pace for longer runs. Hmm.
    I'm going to enter the Clontarf half marathon this evening. And also the midlands half which is in August. Early bird rates for that are only €25.

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Good luck, I hope shes right.

I did a ten miler this morning. Only managed 9'16 mins/mile, was kind of hoping to run at 9 mins/mile so a bit disappointing. Maybe I should concentrate more on doing shorer runs at that pace and not worry too much about my pace for longer runs. Hmm.
    I'm going to enter the Clontarf half marathon this evening. And also the midlands half which is in August. Early bird rates for that are only €25.

What did you run in Paris again Sara? I reckon 9'16 a mile is a bit fast for your longer runs..Marathon pace plus a minute is a good guide.

Managed a 14k LSR this afternoon among the crowds enjoying the glorious sunshine on the Clontarf Seafront. This was my first outdoor run of any significance since the recent ankle problems, and felt ok, although tougher than usual due to little or no running for three weeks. Could have done more but was conscious of not overdoing it. Ankle felt OK but iced if afterwards as a precaution.

So with two weeks to Cork and having downgraded from full to half marathon, I don't really know how to approach it. Should I go for it, having missed three weeks, or should I just take it easy and do it at my original planned marathon pace? For me, "going for it" would mean aiming for < 1:45:00, whereas MP would see me doing more like 1:52:30.

Also not sure how to train in the last two weeks. Stick to the original marathon schedule (HHN2) or do something more specific to the half?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks folks, did 30 mins on bike n 10mins on Xtrainer today , but can def feel it now though wasn't too painful during it, tried see how it felt on treadmill but too painful so stopped immediately. Icing it at min.

Murphd77 delighted for u that your back in action n feeling good. Sorry I can't advise u what to do as I wudnt know what b best, see what the more experienced advise, however I hope it goes well for u. Best of luck.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Managed a 14k LSR this afternoon among the crowds enjoying the glorious sunshine on the Clontarf Seafront. This was my first outdoor run of any significance since the recent ankle problems, and felt ok, although tougher than usual due to little or no running for three weeks. Could have done more but was conscious of not overdoing it. Ankle felt OK but iced if afterwards as a precaution.

So with two weeks to Cork and having downgraded from full to half marathon, I don't really know how to approach it. Should I go for it, having missed three weeks, or should I just take it easy and do it at my original planned marathon pace? For me, "going for it" would mean aiming for < 1:45:00, whereas MP would see me doing more like 1:52:30.

Also not sure how to train in the last two weeks. Stick to the original marathon schedule (HHN2) or do something more specific to the half?

Any ideas welcome!

I would base it all around the ankle injury, if its totally better with no pain or discomfort what so ever then I'd go all out. But any signs of it then I'd do marathon pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I was going to enter the midlands HM tonight but I get really P!ssed off when you get charged a service fee for entering online. Surely it's far less admin work! And I know it's only 4.25 but it's the principle :mad:

Think I'll do Clonmel HM the week after instead.....

• Advertisement

I was going to enter the midlands HM tonight but I get really P!ssed off when you get charged a service fee for entering online. Surely it's far less admin work! And I know it's only 4.25 but it's the principle :mad:

Think I'll do Clonmel HM the week after instead.....

Come up to Dublin and do Clontarf half instead ;)
    thought theres an admin fee for that I just noticed, 2.10 I think.

Advertisement