Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I hear ye CM, there was an admin fee for the Wexford half as well and it's not like it was cheap to start with at €40! Clonmel is a lovely race, nice course, well organised, great technical t shirt and a steal at €25 (I think that's what it was last year) I might do it myself even though I won't be training for anything. No harm to keep the competitive juices flowing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Cool thanks N. I thought that was the race you and Dilbert did last yr alright. It's still 25 and seems better value than the one in Portlaoise. Also 25 until Jun but no t shirt and no goody bag

It's not the easiest course, there's a gradual drag at the start and a couple of decent hills along the way, but it has a nice fast finish. Overall I would say challenging but enjoyable.

The more I see of race prices the more I think it's a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

+1 to that. And a decent spread of food afterwards (and NCMC headed home straight away so I got to eat her chocolate cake!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    +1 to that. And a decent spread of food afterwards (and NCMC headed home straight away so I got to eat her chocolate cake!).

Getting hungry now....

• Advertisement

Actually I heard there's going to be no food this year so I suggest you all go home straight afterwards... :p

You fast feckers aren't allowed eat all the cake! Leave some for us slow pokes :)

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Say no more....it's off to Clonmel we go :D

ncmc wrote: »
    You fast feckers aren't allowed eat all the cake! Leave some for us slow pokes :)

You distract CM and I'll tie her laces together - that'll level the playing field a bit...

blockic wrote: »
    Getting hungry now....

Did you race the 5m today?

• Advertisement

Did you race the 5m today?

Nope, I've bigger fish to fry during the week! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did 13 miles today and actually faster than my current official PB by 3 minutes! Thinking of a target HM at the moment in July/August myself. Did Clontarf last year but in two minds

Nope, I've bigger fish to fry during the week! ;)

Don't blow up this time :P

Gavlor?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Did 13 miles today and actually faster than my current official PB by 3 minutes! Thinking of a target HM at the moment in July/August myself. Did Clontarf last year but in two minds

Well done RR, some run! and congrats on the 1,000 post! ;)

Just be careful that you don't run all your training runs at race pace either as you have been racing a lot lately too and the body is under constant stress. Just wouldn't want injuries to pop back up...

I probably will but sure what harm! :D Aparently it is the way to do these short distance ones. Tear out and try hang on!

Well done RR, some run! and congrats on the 1,000 post! ;)

Just be careful that you don't run all your training runs at race pace either as you have been racing a lot lately too and the body is under constant stress. Just wouldn't want injuries to pop back up...

Cheers B. I didn't even notice the 1000th post bit. Advice noted with thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

What did you run in Paris again Sara? I reckon 9'16 a mile is a bit fast for your longer runs..Marathon pace plus a minute is a good guide.
    I ran Paris in 4.26 (three toilet breaks though!) But my goal for DCM is under 4. I guess I wasn't thinking of today as a lsr, that's why I was hoping to run it at marathon pace. In hindsight I should probably do shorter distances at marathon pace first though. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Hey RR why are ya in two minds about the Clontarf?

My sister said it was hard running in the sand alright and a breeze with it will cause grit in the eyes. Is that why?

Big Logger wrote: »
    Hey RR why are ya in two minds about the Clontarf?

My sister said it was hard running in the sand alright and a breeze with it will cause grit in the eyes. Is that why?

Mostly because it is a bit of a gamble with the wind. I do a lot of running along that route and know how bad it can be at times. Last year it was fine and the sand was the wet compacted type so good underfoot conditions, I thought and didn't experience any sand in the eyes. Plus because I do run along there a lot in training a change of scenery would be nice:)

• Advertisement

Say no more....it's off to Clonmel we go :D

Sounds like a plan. That'll be my next half to race - might do a 10k near home on June 23rd (tough course though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Mostly because it is a bit of a gamble with the wind. I do a lot of running along that route and know how bad it can be at times. Last year it was fine and the sand was the wet compacted type so good underfoot conditions, I thought and didn't experience any sand in the eyes. Plus because I do run along there a lot in training a change of scenery would be nice:)

Done it last year and it was fine, no wind, no sand.

Done a 10k a couple of weeks ago, massive wind, a real put off. It's a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Did the Terenure 5 mile yesterday, great race. Extremely well organised and nice course. Only a mile from my house so cycled down.
    I have a bit of a phobia of shorter races due to my lack of pace so I've only run one 5 miler before, the race series one last year.
    So I'd no idea of what pace to try, just thought I'd make myself as uncomfortable as I thought I could bear for 5 miles. After first mile I was wondering what excuse I could use if I just stepped off the course, mile two slightly uphill I was wondering what on earth has possessed me to run this. It was extremely hot and I was parched. There was a water station at half way with a queue but there was nothing for it I had to stop and get some water just too hot not to. Third mile slightly downhill was cruising then I figured stop cruising and try and make some time here so concentrated on passing as many as possible. Fourth mile very uncomfortable and so thirsty just trying to hang on, back uphill til the last half mile and just tried to keep it lit, sprint for the last little bit. 44.12, four and a half minute PB!!!!!

Tea and cake afterwards and a cycle home delighted with myself.
    I think my 5k time needs some urgent attention I feel another PB coming on.
    Great confidence boost for me as it felt I wasn't making any progress.
    4 mile recovery in the Phoenix park this morning before work, ye can't beat this running lark :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Yes yes - all of ye come to Clonmel! It's promoted by my club so I would say it's the best value race in Ireland. :P
    It is a decent race though tbh, the course is a bit 'meh' for the first few miles - a long drag out towards Cahir on a main road, but once it goes into the countryside and loops back towards town it's lovely, and as ncmc said - the last mile and a half are downhill for a good fast finish. I'll see ye all there and get my sister on chocolate biscuit cake duty and my mother on cheese cake duty. It will defo be my next race after Cork since I've decided not to bother with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

When's Clonmel on guys? I'd love to race a half but Clonmel is pretty far from me.

Quick question for ye regarding nutrition. What would you eat during the day when you have an evening race? I'm finding this one very hard to manage.

DOCO12 wrote: »
    When's Clonmel on guys? I'd love to race a half but Clonmel is pretty far from me.

Quick question for ye regarding nutrition. What would you eat during the day when you have an evening race? I'm finding this one very hard to manage.
    Clonmel is Aug 18th :)

Re race day nutrition I would eat similar to normal but maybe a bit less and wouldn't eat much in the 3 hours before the race except maybe a banana

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Clonmel looks like good value alright but I'm working that weekend. Midlands half it will have to be for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey Deedee well done on the PB yesterday, sounds like your running mojo's running high these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

+1 on that RC, well done Deedee, congrats. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Gavlor wrote: »

C_m is a jockey, enough said.

Can't believe I missed that comment :D

Advertisement