Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Can't believe I missed that comment :D

:D I doubt you'd come up with anything original :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Can't believe I missed that comment :D

I can't believe that nobody else took me up on the intended double meaning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

DOCO12 wrote: »
    When's Clonmel on guys? I'd love to race a half but Clonmel is pretty far from me.

Quick question for ye regarding nutrition. What would you eat during the day when you have an evening race? I'm finding this one very hard to manage.

I would eat a good sized meal at 12.30 ish and then maybe a banana/light snack later an hour or so before race ( for say a 7-8pm race start time). But all depends on how I feel on the day too. I would try go for a pasta dish/rice/fish if it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

6.5k this morning, 5k of which was at HMP (5m/k). Felt good, considering the recent layoff. Sticking to HHN2 marathon schedule for the final two weeks, even though there'll be no marathon at the end of it :(

(But enough about me. How's everyone else doing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

murphd77 wrote: »
    6.5k this morning, 5k of which was at HMP (5m/k). Felt good, considering the recent layoff. Sticking to HHN2 marathon schedule for the final two weeks, even though there'll be no marathon at the end of it :(

(But enough about me. How's everyone else doing?)

Delighted for u murphd77 ,glad u doing well . My ankle feels much better this morn. Have physio app for 11 where I'm hoping to get more ultrasound therapy n hopefully get couple miles done tomoro , will either go on treadmill or may try around the local football pitch as it b softer on joints n also so I can stop if gets sore.

• Advertisement

New runner wrote: »
    Delighted for u murphd77 ,glad u doing well . My ankle feels much better this morn. Have physio app for 11 where I'm hoping to get more ultrasound therapy n hopefully get couple miles done tomoro , will either go on treadmill or may try around the local football pitch as it b softer on joints n also so I can stop if gets sore.

Glad it's feeling better and hope it continues to improve. Good call on the soft surface. Have stuck to grass myself lately and that's the way I'll keep it for the next couple of weeks.

Been to physio this forenoon, she was really great, luckily for me she had a cancellation after me so continued for hour n 40mins all told with in-depth assessment etc. Did lot stretches, calf massaging, ultrasound n taped me. She gonna see me tomorrow again n again next week n teach me to strap. I've to refrain from running today n tomorrow but can use exercise bike or swim n try treadmill or I'll prob use field n see how I go. To continue anti inflammatories n can now try contrasting ice n heat couple mins at time. Have foam shoe raise in to relieve pressure on the Achilles tendon. It's def bursitis under th. Achilles tendon. She reckons with me working on it n physio I shud get around the marathon but doesn't reckon I will b painfree. She will see me after again n reckons I will b sore. So I imagine my time will b greatly slower than my dream of 3.45 but hey I'll b happy to around it n hopefully not injured too much as wud hate b out too long after either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

In case anyone is interested the Consumer Show on RTE1 at 8.30pm tonight is looking at sports drinks and whether they do what they say. I doubt it'll be as thorough as the Panorama documentary last year but might be worth a watch.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I doubt it'll be as thorough as the Panorama documentary last year but might be worth a watch.

I doubt it too.
    :)

Just watched the segment. Unfortunately the presenter (and also the industry spokesman, but maybe he was being disingenuous) didn't seem to understand the difference between endurance sports and team sports. Which is the whole problem - the drinks are marketed as beneficial to team sports, based on science derived from endurance sports. So in other words the RTE programme failed to get into this, while still appearing to be critical. In their defense, they did seem (based on an interview with one underage soccer team) to show that kids think sports drinks improve their prowess. But you only have to look at the fat kids buying lucozade sports for their lunch in your local Spar every day to know that this is the sad truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Finally able to post here about entering upcoming races. Good to be back in the running gang :p

I've pencilled in a couple of 10ks one tune up and one goal race.

Tune Up: DLR 10K August 5th

Looks like the DLR 10K might be steam rollered by the Rock n Roll half marathon / national half being held on the same day. Bit of shame for them. I ran this last year in 63 min - not too sure whether breaking that this year will be on or not. I'm on a slow and steady route back to fitness (building an aerobic base first) and won't be hitting anything close to race pace until late July. This will be an interesting assessment of the old hare and tortoise analougy.

Goal Race: Lakes 10k Sept 7th

Hoping to go sub 1 hour here. Again might be a little soon but we will see how things progress. Would have preferred a 10k in October but there are slim pickings out there. Meno highly recommends this race (as does anyone who commented on past threads) so looking forward to this.

I know sub 1 hour 10ks are not setting the world on fire compared to most people here :D but if I can make sub 1 it would put me ahead of last year off a much shorter training base. I will take that as progress anyway :) and will be moving on to a long term plan for DCM 14 at that point.

Is anyone else from here running in these ? And am I right in suspecting the DLR 10k would be adversely affected by the half marathon on the same day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PM, if October is better for you, I did a lovely little 10k last year in Clane (Kildare). I just googled and there is no event up (yet) for this year, but last year it was held the weekend before DCM.
    I'd still say aim for The Lakes race, but Clane could always be a back up?

menoscemo wrote: »
    PM, if October is better for you, I did a lovely little 10k last year in Clane (Kildare). I just googled and there is no event up (yet) for this year, but last year it was held the weekend before DCM.
    I'd still say aim for The Lakes race, but Clane could always be a back up?

Cheers Meno

Would happily do 3 if it goes ahead this year. Can always aim for an improvement off the Lakes 10k no matter what time I post there.

Is anyone else from here running in these ? And am I right in suspecting the DLR 10k would be adversely affected by the half marathon on the same day ?

Hey, good luck with your rehabilitation, PM. The Lakes sounds like a nice race, could well find myself doing that, esp. as it's a couple of weeks before the Dublin Race Series Half.

As to the effect of the Rock&Roll - who knows? I'm hoping Irish runners will give this kind of blatant commercial event the cold shoulder (but I'm probably a bit of an idealist in these matters). It's hard to know what to make of the fact that this event is hosting the national HM championships, while the GIR hosted the national 10k. Obviously they are courting the official bodies in a pretty major way to generate a bit of credibility.

Either way I don't think a HM should adversely affect a 10k too much though.

Just wee quick update , have been in such bad form last few days as tried 15 mins on treadmill on Wednesday eve after work as advised by physio who seen me Tuesday n Wednesday , she taped me up both days n done ultrasound therapy also on Tuesday . Anyway the 15mins was extremely painful n felt the damage Wednesday eve n Thursday morn even with the anti inflammatories n copious amounts of icing n stretching which I've been doing since the injury . Was so disappointed n couldn't envisage how I could possibly run 26 miles ( mustn't forget the .2 as blockic well knows can make or break it eeek !! :( When I couldn't even do 2 without ill effects , HR was up n knew couldn't possibly have even tried to continue much longer. Have rested since until this morning and continued religiously with the anti inflam.with ankle feeling very good I headed to gym intent on doing bit bike , but couldn't resist trying the treadmill , promising myself regardless 15min max , delighted to say , minimal discomfort n felt could easily carry on, though this was done slowly n 0 incline . So I'm much more positive now of making the start line at least!! Know my time will b hampered but just to get around it will b a bonus at this stage, especially as I'm doing it for the hospice n the sponsorship is an added factor and worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Hello everyone - I'm still alive after Limerick but really enjoying just getting up & going for a jog occasionally.

Main training at the moment is in a pool & on a bike for TriAthy.

I bought my Triathlon Ireland day licence for the race next week - I felt like I was doing the dirt on the Marathon :)

Test swim in the river tomorrow.

Well done CM on your race last night and the very best of luck to anyone racing Cork & elsewhere in the next week. Lets hope our 2nd goal marathon for the group goes better than Limerick did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Rather than start my own log, I'm gonna quickly jump in here with an update.

DCM was run in 3:48:xx, delighted with that even though I was targetting under 3:45.

Since then, I've been up to very little tbh. A bit of running here and a bit there. I found it very hard to get out over the Winter, but now that the sun is back (just about), I've been out on the roads again for the last few weeks with new races and goals in mind.

Planned Races coming up :-

4 weeks to the first one

22 June : Dunshaughlin 10k
    14 July : Fingal 10k
    15 Aug : RnR Half Marathon
    14 Sep : Athlone Half Marathon
    06 Oct : Athlone 3/4
    27 Oct : Atlanta Marathon

So, It's the Atlanta marathon for me this year. My brother lives over there, and I've promised a marathon visit for a while now.
    It's on the same weekend as the DCM but it's an entirely different beast with a total climb of about 550m's.

Hill training beckons at some stage.

So, my PB for 10k is 45:18 which I want to take a chunk off in 4 weeks time.

I'm heavier and slower than I was 6 months ago after DCM, but rather than look back, I'm looking forward !!

for those on garmin wanting to connect,
    http://connect.garmin.com/profile/jprender405

8km easy run planned for tonight.......

Welcome back jprender :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Hello everyone - I'm still alive after Limerick but really enjoying just getting up & going for a jog occasionally.

I bought my Triathlon Ireland day licence for the race next week - I felt like I was doing the dirt on the Marathon :)

Well done CM on your race last night and the very best of luck to anyone racing Cork & elsewhere in the next week. Lets hope our 2nd goal marathon for the group goes better than Limerick did :)

Can anyone please put up a link to killian's race report from limerick i must have missed it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Welcome back jprender :)

+1. Now get your ass in gear! :D I'll be seeing ya at a few of those races in the coming months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

New runner wrote: »
    Just wee quick update , have been in such bad form last few days as tried 15 mins on treadmill on Wednesday eve after work as advised by physio who seen me Tuesday n Wednesday , she taped me up both days n done ultrasound therapy also on Tuesday . Anyway the 15mins was extremely painful n felt the damage Wednesday eve n Thursday morn even with the anti inflammatories n copious amounts of icing n stretching which I've been doing since the injury . Was so disappointed n couldn't envisage how I could possibly run 26 miles ( mustn't forget the .2 as blockic well knows can make or break it eeek !! :( When I couldn't even do 2 without ill effects , HR was up n knew couldn't possibly have even tried to continue much longer. Have rested since until this morning and continued religiously with the anti inflam.with ankle feeling very good I headed to gym intent on doing bit bike , but couldn't resist trying the treadmill , promising myself regardless 15min max , delighted to say , minimal discomfort n felt could easily carry on, though this was done slowly n 0 incline . So I'm much more positive now of making the start line at least!! Know my time will b hampered but just to get around it will b a bonus at this stage, especially as I'm doing it for the hospice n the sponsorship is an added factor and worry!

Hey New runner don't worry about the time for this marathon and just treat it as a LSR,there's always Dublin in October and I'm sure you will smash your PB at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

tenreds wrote: »
    Hey New runner don't worry about the time for this marathon and just treat it as a LSR,there's always Dublin in October and I'm sure you will smash your PB at that

Good advice there. I'm gutted for you New runner, you have worked so hard for this marathon but at least its looking like you can run it. Hey I bet you'll enjoy the experience much more by running it slowly and taking in the atmosphere. Good on you for soldiering on, I really hope the foot behaves itself on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Best of luck with TriAthy Killian, let us know how it goes, its something I'd like to give a go some time :) What are the distances invovled?

Runchick wrote: »
    Good advice there. I'm gutted for you New runner, you have worked so hard for this marathon but at least its looking like you can run it. Hey I bet you'll enjoy the experience much more by running it slowly and taking in the atmosphere. Good on you for soldiering on, I really hope the foot behaves itself on the day :)

Thanks Runchick n Tenreds, ill do my best n see how it goes, it's disappointing but at least if I get to do it will b happy enough now. This was my goal race as near home n although wont b near the amount of supporters as DCM , there was a lot of family n friends coming to cheer me n others obviously along. Tbh hadn't planned on doing DCM this year as feel I have spent over year training hard now n thought it not really fair on kids to train that amount this summer also but ill see how Derry goes n make decision after. Just don't know if I have that amount of training in me again in such short time !!!! Thanks for all the support :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

4 miles this morning to make a sum total of 7 miles for the week having not run since Tuesday:(

Managing a hamstring injury at the moment so hopefully can build back up slowly again this week. Goal is to get a good block of training in now before marathon plan kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Runchick wrote: »
    Best of luck with TriAthy Killian, let us know how it goes, its something I'd like to give a go some time :) What are the distances invovled?

I'm doing the sprint, 750m swim; 20k bike & 5k run.

Just back from a test swim in the river; fcuk me it was cold. I knew I would warm up but wasent prepared for not being able to breathe! I would recommend more than 4 weeks swim training in a pool before you attempt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Love love running in the early morning sunshine these days. life very busy and chaotic at the moment so six am runs are only option. Have to say really enjoying them. The nice weather makes it much easier to get up. Mini marathon next week...anyone else doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

What can I say guys and gals, it's been a pleasure

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056871762

Reemo78 wrote: »
    What can I say guys and gals, it's been a pleasure

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056871762

That sucks. Truly sucks.

Really sorry to hear this. Best of luck with the cycling. I hope things settle down in the long term.

EDIT: In case people haven't copped - the above post is from upthe19th who has changed his user name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

dechol wrote: »
    Love love running in the early morning sunshine these days. life very busy and chaotic at the moment so six am runs are only option. Have to say really enjoying them. The nice weather makes it much easier to get up. Mini marathon next week...anyone else doing this?

Yeah im planning on doing it too. Ankle is sore again. Went cycling today instead of running. Did 50km which was by accident but a fab cycle out by the coast and around portmarnock and malahide. Il leave the run till tomorrow.

Advertisement