Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

dechol wrote: »
    Love love running in the early morning sunshine these days. life very busy and chaotic at the moment so six am runs are only option. Have to say really enjoying them. The nice weather makes it much easier to get up. Mini marathon next week...anyone else doing this?

Yeah I'm running it too. I wonder just how chaotic the start will be for the runners? Hoping to get to the front of the running group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm running it too. I wonder just how chaotic the start will be for the runners? Hoping to get to the front of the running group

As Long as you get to the front it should be grand but the down side to that is being passed out by better runners and risking going out too fast to keep up. Il be just hoping to get around pain free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Strawberry Half Marathon - 1.31.39 - 40th place out of 323.

Man it was tough, heat & hills is best way to describe it. Its a PB by nearly 10 mins so i ain't going to turn my nose up at it. Had hoped to dip under 1.30 but as stated the heat & hills put paid to that i'm afraid. Boards was well represented, belcarra also tried for 1.30 and fell short unfortunately. The glamour couple of Boards, CL and Digger were pacing as was blockic. Met MisterDrak at the finish line who nailed the sub 1.30 with change. Great running on a testing course. I know the sub 1.30 is in the legs, just wasn't to be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tang1 wrote: »

Man it was tough, heat & hills is best way to describe it. Its a PB by nearly 10 mins so i ain't going to turn my nose up at it. Had hoped to dip under 1.30 but as stated the heat & hills put paid to that i'm afraid. Boards was well represented, belcarra also tried for 1.30 and fell short unfortunately. The glamour couple of Boards, CL and Digger were pacing as was blockic. Met MisterDrak at the finish line who nailed the sub 1.30 with change. Great running on a testing course. I know the sub 1.30 is in the legs, just wasn't to be today.

Thats some pb on a tough course tang!

You can't beat the south east for semi tropical weather ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thats some pb on a tough course tang!

+1 Great to see you flying it again B :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's a great time tang, it was a warm one today for racing. Congrats on an incredible PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Cracking run tang on a tough course on a hot day. 1:30 is a sitting duck now. Just need the right race on the right day. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

great going Tang - dont envy you running the half on a day like today. Heard its hilly too!

great running - getting under 1:30 will happen soon - nice to PB by 10 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Super running Tang. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Nice one tang, is that 2 pbs in a week? You are flying.

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Nice one tang, is that 2 pbs in a week? You are flying.

Yeah, 5km & Half Marathon PBs this week. Its been a great week running wise thankfully. Nice session on Thursday by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Yeah, 5km & Half Marathon PBs this week. Its been a great week running wise thankfully. Nice session on Thursday by yourself.

that's very impressive tang, fair play to you.

Was on Dollymount beach today with one of the kids. IF anyone is signed up for the Clontarf Half I really hope you don't get the wind that was out there today:eek:

The way back to promenade would have been very tough indeed on the beach section. I think that's made my mind up at least not to do Clontarf. The search for a MidJuly/Early august HM goes on. Was looking at the RockNRoll one as it is the National Half but the thought of an 8.30 start really puts me off that one. Saw Clonmel promoted by others on here, so that could be a possible one (especially since they do cake!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

RedRunner wrote: »
    IF anyone is signed up for the Clontarf Half I really hope you don't get the wind that was out there today:eek:

Sure it's the 'flattest half in ireland'. It's bound to be fast! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Question:

Does playing swingball for 2 hours with your daughter count as cross training ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

It does take some endurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

blockic wrote: »
    Sure it's the 'flattest half in ireland'. It's bound to be fast! ;)

I'm starting to think its the 'flattest and slowest half in Ireland' what on earth am I in for ;)

I do 75% of my running along the route, while it is flat as a pancake i have yet to run a calm day this year there. The way the wind normally blows it will be in your face for the second half of the race.

I do 75% of my running along the route, while it is flat as a pancake i have yet to run a calm day this year there. The way the wind normally blows it will be in your face for the second half of the race.

$hite!! Please tell me it makes the first half dead easy then? (she says trying to stay optimistic!)

That must mean it's behind you for the first half...

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    $hite!! Please tell me it makes the first half dead easy then? (she says trying to stay optimistic!)

Great minds A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

I'm starting to think its the 'flattest and slowest half in Ireland' what on earth am I in for ;)

Dont be turned off it completely just yet!
    I was out along the coast today myself but coming home I came from Malahide down to the Swords road which is totally inland.
    The wind coming home was dreadful, much worse than beside the sea. It was just a very very windy day today.
    It will be a bit of a lottery depending on the weather though.

Speaking of weather, does anyone have any advice for coping with the warm weather? I really struggled today, stupidly did 13 miles with no water and no sun cream. Felt the effects of mild sun stroke all day and have a very attractive runners tan (like a farmers tan only with a racer back mark branded into me and anklet sock marks!).

Obviously sun cream and water are a no brainer (lesson learned the hard way!) but all my clothes felt so clingy and sticky and the sun was beating down on my head. Do most people wear caps or sun glasses? Never found I needed them before and am semi reluctant to add anything new to the equation at this stage. But really feeling the nerves about running twice as long next week in possibly similar weather.

Ah sorry, it is seriously flat and a quick course. I ran it 3 yrs ago and there wasn't a breath blowing. Its a great race and i can keep you updated with the wind situation in the lead up to it.

Ah sorry, it is seriously flat and a quick course. I ran it 3 yrs ago and there wasn't a breath blowing. Its a great race and i can keep you updated with the wind situation in the lead up to it.

+1 to that. I would add that I did it last year and it was fine wind wise. Hopefully it will be the same this year too.

ncmc wrote: »
    Speaking of weather, does anyone have any advice for coping with the warm weather? I really struggled today, stupidly did 13 miles with no water and no sun cream. Felt the effects of mild sun stroke all day and have a very attractive runners tan (like a farmers tan only with a racer back mark branded into me and anklet sock marks!).

Obviously sun cream and water are a no brainer (lesson learned the hard way!) but all my clothes felt so clingy and sticky and the sun was beating down on my head. Do most people wear caps or sun glasses? Never found I needed them before and am semi reluctant to add anything new to the equation at this stage. But really feeling the nerves about running twice as long next week in possibly similar weather.

I am hardly an expert on this given my Limerick disaster but if I could do it again I would be wearing a hat - my head was sunburned - and drink plenty. Throw water over yourself to stop you getting too sweaty. Also be aware of early warning signs, I didn't equate lightheadedness to dehydration/ sunstroke and kept going at the same pace :eek: If I had of realised what was happening I may have been able to rectify things before it was too late. Limerick was 3 weeks ago and I still get lightheaded and pain behind my eyes, bit worried about long term effects actually :rolleyes:

But hey you seem much more sensible than me, you'll be absolutely fine. If the weather is really warm just readjust your goal time accordingly...god how I wish I'd taken my own advice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Working two 12 hour shifts over the weekend does not make it easy to get out in the running shoes :(

It was just 8km for me on Saturday night, at 5:12/km pace, ave hr 159 (80% max)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317925045

Eight 0.5km Intervals last night , and these workouts always kill me.
    Ran them a bit fast too which didn't help. Finished them alright, even though I felt like cutting the session short several times.
    HR monitor strap thingy needs new batteries, either that or I'm a lot fitter than I thought I was :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318541746

Off for a swim now to help the sore legs, then I've got a 5k run later on tonight to get through.

And, seeing as it's a Monday, I'll try and start my own training log so I'm not clogging up this thread with my ramblings :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

jprender wrote: »
    Working two 12 hour shifts over the weekend does not make it easy to get out in the running shoes :(

It was just 8km for me on Saturday night, at 5:12/km pace, ave hr 159 (80% max)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317925045

Eight 0.5km Intervals last night , and these workouts always kill me.
    Ran them a bit fast too which didn't help. Finished them alright, even though I felt like cutting the session short several times.
    HR monitor strap thingy needs new batteries, either that or I'm a lot fitter than I thought I was :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/318541746

Off for a swim now to help the sore legs, then I've got a 5k run later on tonight to get through.

And, seeing as it's a Monday, I'll try and start my own training log so I'm not clogging up this thread with my ramblings :pac:

Make sure you throw a link to the log up here when you do. :)

I am hardly an expert on this given my Limerick disaster but if I could do it again I would be wearing a hat - my head was sunburned - and drink plenty. Throw water over yourself to stop you getting too sweaty. Also be aware of early warning signs, I didn't equate lightheadedness to dehydration/ sunstroke and kept going at the same pace :eek: If I had of realised what was happening I may have been able to rectify things before it was too late. Limerick was 3 weeks ago and I still get lightheaded and pain behind my eyes, bit worried about long term effects actually :rolleyes:

But hey you seem much more sensible than me, you'll be absolutely fine. If the weather is really warm just readjust your goal time accordingly...god how I wish I'd taken my own advice :p
    God Runchick, that’s awful that you’re still feeling the effects, just goes to show how serious sun stroke can be. I think that’s a good idea on the hat, I definitely felt the sun beating down on my head yesterday. Where would I get one of those really light hats? Would a sports shop sell them? At least it’s not a massive expense and I can throw it away if it’s bothering me at any stage. I know they hand out wet sponges in Cork at around the 18 mile mark, so I’m sure that will feel like heaven if it’s warm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good to say hello there tang1, a sub 1:30 on a flat coure is a dead cert for you. I could suggest the clontarf Half, however as a recent 10K with RunningKing in clontarf suggests, once the wind blows is no chance for a PB.

Advertisement