Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    God Runchick, that’s awful that you’re still feeling the effects, just goes to show how serious sun stroke can be. I think that’s a good idea on the hat, I definitely felt the sun beating down on my head yesterday. Where would I get one of those really light hats? Would a sports shop sell them? At least it’s not a massive expense and I can throw it away if it’s bothering me at any stage. I know they hand out wet sponges in Cork at around the 18 mile mark, so I’m sure that will feel like heaven if it’s warm!

They will prob be in the expo on Sat/Sun in City Hall. Or else the edge should have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Good to say hello there tang1, a sub 1:30 on a flat coure is a dead cert for you. I could suggest the clontarf Half, however as a recent 10K with RunningKing in clontarf suggests, once the wind blows is no chance for a PB.

Pleasure to meet you to, do most of my running on the Clontarf route and as you say if there is a wind blowing its a different race. Might look at Portumna half as suggested by belcarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Pleasure to meet you to, do most of my running on the Clontarf route and as you say if there is a wind blowing its a different race. Might look at Portumna half as suggested by belcarra.
    Yay come to Portumna :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    They will prob be in the expo on Sat/Sun in City Hall. Or else the edge should have them.
    Popped down to The Edge at lunch time and got a wee light Nike hat, only €16, so not a huge investment. Glad to have it now, hopefully won't need it, but I feel more prepared now. Got all my gels and jellies too so I'm all set....... *watches clock tick down*

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

A quick update after a pretty hectic week on the home front & also no internet access for the week :(.

Only had a quick chance to look at some of your logs but well done to everyone on their recent races & also commiserations to everyone that seems to be stuck down with what sounds like some nasty injuries.

Only a week to go now to the big day in Cork,initial weather reports suggest a warm day but have taken on the advice of Meno & belcarra that they were giving out over on Dilberts thread a few weeks ago about salt.Invested in some of the salt capsules & tried them out on a run the previous week,no adverse effects thankfully.

After doing 2 races in the previous 2 weeks & being conscious of the mileage being done recently I've cut back the distance in some of the runs last week & was also forced to take an extra 2 days rest but ain't a bad thing at this stage of the programme.

Did a 14mile run on Saturday morning with the plan to do 6 or 7 miles at PMP.Used the salt capsules.It was a warm morning & probably ideal prep for Cork.Whether it was the capsules working or its just in my head I only used a fraction of the water I would normally use when I carry water.
    14miles done at an average pace of 8:30.

At this stage I can't wait for next Monday

• Advertisement

docjewel wrote: »
    A quick update after a pretty hectic week on the home front & also no internet access for the week :(.

Only had a quick chance to look at some of your logs but well done to everyone on their recent races & also commiserations to everyone that seems to be stuck down with what sounds like some nasty injuries.

Only a week to go now to the big day in Cork,initial weather reports suggest a warm day but have taken on the advice of Meno & belcarra that they were giving out over on Dilberts thread a few weeks ago about salt.Invested in some of the salt capsules & tried them out on a run the previous week,no adverse effects thankfully.

After doing 2 races in the previous 2 weeks & being conscious of the mileage being done recently I've cut back the distance in some of the runs last week & was also forced to take an extra 2 days rest but ain't a bad thing at this stage of the programme.

Did a 14mile run on Saturday morning with the plan to do 6 or 7 miles at PMP.Used the salt capsules.It was a warm morning & probably ideal prep for Cork.Whether it was the capsules working or its just in my head I only used a fraction of the water I would normally use when I carry water.
    14miles done at an average pace of 8:30.

At this stage I can't wait for next Monday
    Welcome back to the land of the internet D, I was actually going to PM you this evening as I was getting worried that we hadn’t heard a peep from you since the 10K last week! Sounds like you have had a great week, I didn’t get a chance to try out those salt tablets, so will just stick to the Isotabs which as you know, I swear by! I feel the same way as you, just dying for Monday to come round at this stage, have a feeling it’s going to be a very long week. I keep looking at my watch today and thinking “this time next week I’ll be at X miles” “this time next week I’ll hopefully finished” “this time next week I’ll probably be in a heap in the pub after two drinks” etc. Are you happy with your decision to head out with the 3:30 pacers?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

ncmc wrote: »
    Welcome back to the land of the internet D, I was actually going to PM you this evening as I was getting worried that we hadn’t heard a peep from you since the 10K last week! Sounds like you have had a great week, I didn’t get a chance to try out those salt tablets, so will just stick to the Isotabs which as you know, I swear by! I feel the same way as you, just dying for Monday to come round at this stage, have a feeling it’s going to be a very long week. I keep looking at my watch today and thinking “this time next week I’ll be at X miles” “this time next week I’ll hopefully finished” “this time next week I’ll probably be in a heap in the pub after two drinks” etc. Are you happy with your decision to head out with the 3:30 pacers?

Was an interesting week to say the least:D but a good way to keep the mind off of running all the time, got a rubdown last Monday evening after the Youghal 10k,lets just say I was practically reduced to tears:o when he attacked worked on my calves,knew they were a bit tight but didn't realise how tight they were.

Being brutally honest I think anytime under 3:35 will be a good result for me.I'm still gonna go out with the 3:30 pacers,I have a lot of work put into this marathon & may never again get the chance to put in so much effort,so I'm gonna give it my best shot but I'm also prepared that if the going is too tough early on or the weather is just too warm for me(I burn very easily) to ease back a bit.At this stage for me now its all about getting the head right,getting plenty of rest,eating & drinking properly.

A few weeks ago I probably didnt have too much faith in myself in doing 3:30 but since the LSR with you(ncmc),2 decent races & the 14miler at the weekend things seem to be falling into place nicely,fingers & toes crossed I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Docjewel with the mileage, hence effort ,u have put in, I'd bet good money on u getting ur goal of 3.30, Will b shocked if u don't! Though I know we have some shocks with people I'd easily have put money on but hopefully we will have learned from their very helpful advise. Believe in yourself and all the training u have done, u are feeling strong, no injuries n have trained so hard, all good! U will do fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I just want to issue a bit of a reminder to everyone running marathons over the next few days, weeks and months. There has been a lot of misfortune over recent weeks regarding Marathon dnf's and this has naturally resulted in lots of good natured warnings about taking it easy and backing off if things don't feel good.

The point to remember is that marathons are supposed to be difficult, they are supposed to hurt. There is a thin line between backing off because your body has to and backing off because your body wants to. When the going gets tough, dig in, when it gets tougher dig deeper.

The troubles that some have had naturally sow seeds of self doubt in all of us and it's very important to banish those doubts before you cross the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good point Gavlor. If it's just "normal" discomfort, or even a bit more than that, it's maybe a matter of sucking it up and getting on with it. If it goes beyond that, such as into the likes of what Runchick and I both experienced, then recognise the signs (God knows everyone should know them by now) and act appropriately. If you're wearing a HR monitor, use it and know your limits.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    I just want to issue a bit of a reminder to everyone running marathons over the next few days, weeks and months. There has been a lot of misfortune over recent weeks regarding Marathon dnf's and this has naturally resulted in lots of good natured warnings about taking it easy and backing off if things don't feel good.

The point to remember is that marathons are supposed to be difficult, they are supposed to hurt. There is a thin line between backing off because your body has to and backing off because your body wants to. When the going gets tough, dig in, when it gets tougher dig deeper.

The troubles that some have had naturally sow seeds of self doubt in all of us and it's very important to banish those doubts before you cross the start line.

Great post

Great post
    Man love emo5.gif

Great post

It was, wasn't it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Excellent post indeed Gavlor. Another thing to remember for those of you running this week is you have had a few weeks to train in warmer weather and acclimitise so the timing of your marathon is spot on from that point of view.

I'm really excited for all of you, I have a feeling you'll all do brilliantly :D

Great post there Gavlor and very true, once the self doubt gets in to the brain, it's very hard to get it out again. So you have to go in there believing 100% that you can do it. Of course things can and do go wrong, but you can't let the fear take over and stop you pushing yourself to do your best.

I've really struggled with self doubt over the last few months but to hell with all that now, I'm feeling great, I'm positively buzzing after my sports massage and Epsom salt bath :) so I'm just going to kick all those nagging thoughts and doubts to the kerb and go give it socks next week.

Now if it would only come round quicker, I'm chomping at the bit here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Yay come to Portumna :D:D:D

Due to restrictions on leave at work, Portumna is a no go. Stupid G8 summit!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Due to restrictions on leave at work, Portumna is a no go. Stupid G8 summit!!!
    Boo to that :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Make sure you throw a link to the log up here when you do. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056958937

For those of you interested to see how an old man gets on :p

Worth a read - there are a few of these that should be made law :D

http://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/may/28/running-etiquette-10-commandments

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Particularly point no.10

• Advertisement

Had a good giggle at that, especially like number 5

"Gentlemen: if, on a sunny day, you should ever be tempted to go running without a shirt on, please think again. This isn't Venice Beach and you're not Matthew McConaughey. It's an inner-city towpath and you've got a fly stuck in your backhair."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Terribly warm tonight, went for a run on the treadmill. Had to abandon it at 5 miles due to overheating. In Fact I had to stop the machine dead and sit down at the edge of it cause I thought I was going to pass out. Theres a down side to the Ben Dunne cheap gyms, theres no air conditioning and in this heat it is almost vital if you're doing more than 10 mins on the m/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Big Logger wrote: »
    Terribly warm tonight, went for a run on the treadmill. Had to abandon it at 5 miles due to overheating. In Fact I had to stop the machine dead and sit down at the edge of it cause I thought I was going to pass out. Theres a down side to the Ben Dunne cheap gyms, theres no air conditioning and in this heat it is almost vital if you're doing more than 10 mins on the m/c.

On a gorgeous night like tonight running indoors is borderline blasphemy ! :)

Terribly warm tonight, went for a run on the treadmill.

Must admit you crack me up sometimes rasher! :D You had be all prepped for reading about your outdoor run and then BAM!!! Always keep us guessing! ;)

On a gorgeous night like tonight running indoors is borderline blasphemy ! :)

Thanks for the sympathy :). I couldnt exert myself on the road after 3 hours sleep last night and no nap after work today. I will not be doing any more than 3 miles on treadmill in this heat again. I was morto sitting on the treadmill like a freak with everyone going by.

Thanks for the sympathy :).

Ahh poor BL - here you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Thanks for the sympathy :). I couldnt exert myself on the road after 3 hours sleep last night and no nap after work today. I will not be doing any more than 3 miles on treadmill in this heat again. I was morto sitting on the treadmill like a freak with everyone going by.

do normal people nap after work? Haha

Ahh poor BL - here you go...

Heres two fingers for you :)

Oh now....

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    do normal people nap after work? Haha

Probably not adults no