Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Big Logger wrote: »
    Thanks for the sympathy :). I couldnt exert myself on the road after 3 hours sleep last night and no nap after work today. I will not be doing any more than 3 miles on treadmill in this heat again. I was morto sitting on the treadmill like a freak with everyone going by.

Sorry :D

But that raises a genuine question ...

Effort levels on treadmills versus road.

For me feeling like the way you describe I'd have opted for a slow run outside in the fresh air over banging out a run indoors on a treadmill. I'd have expected the outdoor run to be the easier / more attractive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd expect the treadmill to consume less effort - you're just keeping up rather than propelling yourself plus outdoors you'll have wind resistance (though you may also have wind assistance :eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Threadmills are the devil. cool.png Fresh air is what you want! Regardless of the weather.

I'm off for my nap before bedtime! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Sorry :D

But that raises a genuine question ...

Effort levels on treadmills versus road.

For me feeling like the way you describe I'd have opted for a slow run outside in the fresh air over banging out a run indoors on a treadmill. I'd have expected the outdoor run to be the easier / more attractive option.

You're probably right pm. But when im tired or in a hurry its the handy option as im literally 30 seconds from the gym. But the reason I actually remarked about the way the run went was cause it wasnt a usual feeling I get on the m/c.

I thought I did well considering I had 3 hrs sleep, did the shopping after work and put on dinner for my kiddo. I dont have a woman/man looking after my kid and doing the shopping while I work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

At least you did a run BL even though you tortured yourself in a gym. You could easily have done nothing at all after such few hours sleep.
    Personally though I would rather run in a blizzard of snow than run on a treadmill. I just hate the things.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    At least you did a run BL even though you tortured yourself in a gym. You could easily have done nothing at all after such few hours sleep.
    Personally though I would rather run in a blizzard of snow than run on a treadmill. I just hate the things.

Yeah its tough watching the clock in the heat alright but sometimes its just a necessary evil for me plus I get some rowing and machine weights in

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'd expect the treadmill to consume less effort - you're just keeping up rather than propelling yourself plus outdoors you'll have wind resistance (though you may also have wind assistance :eek:).

well that depends on the settings you choose, though the slower the better it would seem in this heat.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The other good thing about going outside is that it's harder to give up early - not quite such an easy out if you're a long way from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

blockic wrote: »
    Threadmills are the devil. cool.png Fresh air is what you want! Regardless of the weather.

I'm off for my nap before bedtime! ;)

Triathlons and now Treadmills, the list is growing.

I'm off for a swim & bike session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Bikes? Swimming? Treadmills?

You're all traitors!

If you're not out running and either sweating in the sun, freezing in the cold or getting soaked in the rain, then it's not proper running :pac:

It's character building don't you know! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

What a morning for running,seems a shame to be in marathon taper & not run a few extra miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

docjewel wrote: »
    What a morning for running,seems a shame to be in marathon taper & not run a few extra miles.

Sure a couple extra miles couldn't hurt? Go on... and when you're there, sure maybe 20x200 @ 5k pace to 'sharpen' you up for raceday.*

*Do NOT follow this advice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

A few miles is better than none, I've had a tummy bug since yesterday and my primary thought is 'when the hell will I get out running again', nothing else really matters :-0

scriba wrote: »
    Sure a couple extra miles couldn't hurt? Go on... and when you're there, sure maybe 20x200 @ 5k pace to 'sharpen' you up for raceday.*

*Do NOT follow this advice! :D

Pity I had my run done by the time I posted :(,otherwise that session looks tempting;););):D:D ***NOT***
    Runchick wrote: »
    A few miles is better than none, I've had a tummy bug since yesterday and my primary thought is 'when the hell will I get out running again', nothing else really matters :-0

You really are a real runner now Runchick....it's all about the running.

I'm so excited for all of you marathoning this weekend, if I'm honest I'm extremely jealous :D All the hard work is done and now you all get to celebrate :D

On hydration (something I feel I could write a thesis on now having read so much over the past few weeks :eek:) my doctor advised me (after Limerick, ahem...)to drink sports drinks in the few days before a big race, as well as water. This will ensure your electrolyte stores are well topped up on the big day. Maybe this is old news to most of you but its certainly something I didn't do before but will in future. Anyway just thought I'd put it out there.

And hey not so many pints that you can't post a bit of a race report, us poor folk will be waiting impatiently for all the good news ;)

my doctor advised me (after Limerick, ahem...)to drink sports drinks in the few days before a big race, as well as water. This will ensure your electrolyte stores are well topped up on the big day. Maybe this is old news to most of you but its certainly something I didn't do before but will in future. Anyway just thought I'd put it out there.

Good tip runchick. Just on that. An alternative could be a couple of sachets of Dioralyte, peanuts and banana's which are also a good source of electrolytes. Most of the time you can top up your electrolytes through common enough food sources and does not necessarily have to be sports drinks.

Just throwing alternatives out there as sports drinks are effectively flavoured water will added sodium and sugar. But that's for another day! :)

I'm so excited for all of you marathoning this weekend, if I'm honest I'm extremely jealous :D All the hard work is done and now you all get to celebrate :D

On hydration (something I feel I could write a thesis on now having read so much over the past few weeks :eek:) my doctor advised me (after Limerick, ahem...)to drink sports drinks in the few days before a big race, as well as water. This will ensure your electrolyte stores are well topped up on the big day. Maybe this is old news to most of you but its certainly something I didn't do before but will in future. Anyway just thought I'd put it out there.

And hey not so many pints that you can't post a bit of a race report, us poor folk will be waiting impatiently for all the good news ;)
    That's a good point, I probably don't drink enough water day to day, especially in this warm weather, so must make an effort to drink more this week. I have two sachets of carb drink that dechol was kind enough to send me, so will take that over the weekend.

I am in two minds about whether to drink the sports drinks during the race or not. I normally don't drink them and I know it's a bad idea to try anything new on race day, but on the other hand I have a pretty strong stomach and if it's as warm as today, I could use all the help I can get. Would I better just sticking to my tried and trusted Hi5 tablets?

ncmc wrote: »
    I am in two minds about whether to drink the sports drinks during the race or not. I normally don't drink them and I know it's a bad idea to try anything new on race day, but on the other hand I have a pretty strong stomach and if it's as warm as today, I could use all the help I can get. Would I better just sticking to my tried and trusted Hi5 tablets?

Your Hi5 tablets are the exact same as a sports drink so stick with them. I have them myself also.

what's this I hear about you resting? Rest is good, but not 7 days rest I hope! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Your Hi5 tablets are the exact same as a sports drink so stick with them. I have them myself also.

what's this I hear about you resting? Rest is good, but not 7 days rest I hope! ;)
    Only 2 days rest, as per my physio's instructions! I'm very obedient like that when it involves sitting in the garden doing nothing :p

Will head out tonight I suppose :o

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Thanks for good wishes n tip RC, I have been taking a sachet of dioralyte the nite b4 n morning of long runs for the last number of high mileage LSR. Don't know if helps or not but at least u know u going in with electrolytes balanced at start so I think it good idea, even if it physiological! I will b doing same Sat eve n Sunday morn. Will also carry couple sachets salt if sweating a lot will try take some. Last 30 mins done slow there, that me now until Friday eve where I plan to walk ( slowly) a local charity 5k. Ankle ,though not great,is holding up ok. Had physio with ultrasound yesterday n today again, still taped. Can do no more now, will do my best but not going run in pure agony n get seriously injured, hope I have the strength n sense to pull out if I have to, here's hoping it won't b an issue! At that stage now where I'm nervous, frightened, anxious n every other emotion under the sun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Missing cork is eating me up today!
    Everything feels good so I'm getting urges to chance it.. Even rang my physio and he said I'd be foolish.. I had far too much hope put into this! Hard to decide what to do next. Just a little brain dump to thee who may understand ;)

On the other hand I'm v excited for all doing it and really looking forward to ye all getting the results deserved. Just making my banner

I think you know it would be madness to attempt it Ste, everything feels good because you've been resting, who knows what 26 miles would do to you, you could be talking permanent damage. It's just not worth it for one race. I can imagine how hard it is reading about everyone else's last minute prep, but your day will come again.

Just a thought, but have you thought about doing the half? I know murphd77 changed from the full to the half when he got injured. It would give you some of the atmosphere, and it may not exacerbate your injury if you took it at a slow pace,. Again though, you'd want to make sure you weren't doing further damage to yourself even by doing the half. If it were me, I'd only do it with my physios full backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Must b so hard Ste but wud b mad if it against advise, I'm running on an injury but it's with go ahead from 3 diff physios. Been told I won't run painfree so expecting some degree of discomfort but even with that I have the worry of getting badly injured its def affecting the confidence etc so ud know u going against advise n it wud mess with your head even more letaalone the potential damage! Really feel for u though. Not good! :(

Hopefully nothing major but while out playing football with the kids earlier I tweaked my hamstring.Didn't feel too bad at the time but after a 100 odd mile drive this evening the hamstring is quite tight:(

Hopefully lots of icing,rest, foam rolling & stretching things will be ok.

ncmc wrote: »
    I think you know it would be madness to attempt it Ste, everything feels good because you've been resting, who knows what 26 miles would do to you, you could be talking permanent damage. It's just not worth it for one race. I can imagine how hard it is reading about everyone else's last minute prep, but your day will come again.

Just a thought, but have you thought about doing the half? It know murphd77 changed from the full to the half when he got injured. It would give you some of the atmosphere, and it may not exacerbate your injury if you took it at a slow pace,. Again though, you'd want to make sure you weren't doing further damage to yourself even by doing the half. If it were me, I'd only do it with my physios full backing.

Yea it was a fleeting thought only, madness. Did some stretching and it's not 100%.

I did consider the half but I'd get no kick out of it without a PB. But thanks for suggestion

I will hopefully have my day in dcm. :)
    You seem in great form, delighted for you! No stopping u

Hopefully nothing major but while out playing football with the kids earlier I tweaked my hamstring.Didn't feel too bad at the time but after a 100 odd mile drive this evening the hamstring is quite tight:(

Take it handy doc! Good few days to rest up

New runner wrote: »
    Must b so hard Ste but wud b mad if it against advise, I'm running on an injury but it's with go ahead from 3 diff physios. Been told I won't run painfree so expecting some degree of discomfort but even with that I have the worry of getting badly injured its def affecting the confidence etc so ud know u going against advise n it wud mess with your head even more letaalone the potential damage! Really feel for u though. Not good! :(

Thanks. Hope you get through it okay. Don't push it too far if uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

jprender wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056958937

For those of you interested to see how an old man gets on :p

You lost me at "before I hit 40 years of age"...

I really do wish I'd started all this when I was younger.

murphd77 wrote: »
    You lost me at "before I hit 40 years of age"...

I really do wish I'd started all this when I was younger.

You're running as well if not better than most 40 year olds on this site.

• Advertisement

Sounds like full blown taper madness to me :P ...seriously though doc fingers crossed for you :)

Advertisement