Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    It's great doing a home marathon, it's lovely not to have to worry about where to eat the night before or if the hotel does the right kind of porridge! I can't wait to run through the tunnel... I've driven through it every day for the last 11 years! Will be fun to run through it.

make sure you have autopause turned off on your Garmin. You will completely lose GPS signal in there for a few minutes and your watch will think you have stopped moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hmm, well since I don't know what auto pause is, I am going to assume that it is indeed turned off! My Garmin signal has gone to the dogs lately. I do a fair bit of running in a wooded area and it used to be rare that I'd lose signal, now I lose it if I stand next to a particularly tall ficus plant :( On the plus side, when it picks up the signal again, it shows my pace as being faster until it catches up.... It's the only way I ever see 5:XX minute miles on my Garmin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Hmm, well since I don't know what auto pause is, I am going to assume that it is indeed turned off! My Garmin signal has gone to the dogs lately. I do a fair bit of running in a wooded area and it used to be rare that I'd lose signal, now I lose it if I stand next to a particularly tall ficus plant :( On the plus side, when it picks up the signal again, it shows my pace as being faster until it catches up.... It's the only way I ever see 5:XX minute miles on my Garmin :)

Don't forget to delete old runs off the Garmins after you've uploaded them,with the more memory avaivalbe they should run more effeciently.

ncmc,Haven't you got the 205?

Press "mode" to access the menu
    Select "Training", then "Training Options" and then "Auto Pause"

Here's a link to the manual,Garmin 205,Should keep you busy at work today:p:D

docjewel wrote: »
    Don't forget to delete old runs off the Garmins after you've uploaded them,with the more memory avaivalbe they should run more effeciently.

ncmc,Haven't you got the 205?

Press "mode" to access the menu
    Select "Training", then "Training Options" and then "Auto Pause"

Here's a link to the manual,Garmin 205,Should keep you busy at work today:p:D
    I did delete all the old runs, but it's still not great. I think it's just a combination of age and too much exposure to rain over the last 12 months. Hopefully it will see me through Monday and then I'll consider getting a new one with a HRM before the next training cycle begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I think it's just a combination of age and too much exposure to rain over the last 12 months.

Is that you or the watch? ;-) :-)

....sorry couldnt resist that.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Is that you or the watch? ;-) :-)

....sorry couldnt resist that.

Both unfortunately :( I think I'm definitely beginning to show signs of rust around the edges, but there's life in the pair of us yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Both unfortunately :( I think I'm definitely beginning to show signs of rust around the edges, but there's life in the pair of us yet!

No doubt Monday will be the proof of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Good luck to everyone running in Cork! Make sure you lash on the sunscreen!
    I did 6 miles today at 9 mins/mile. I'm hoping for a sub 52 minutes on Monday for the Fwwm 10k to give me a PB. Fingers crossed.

Need to decide weather I'm going to do the midlands half marathon on the 11th August as today is last day of early bird rate. As much as I said I wouldn't do the rock n roll half on the 5th due to its ridiculous price, it would be fairly convenient for me location wise and probably be cheaper for me overall. Just not sure I wanna do such a commercial one if that makes sense?? Decisions decisions......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck to all those running in Cork on Monday. Watch the heat, water the head & neck, wear sun block(ic) - not the Hawaiian tropic factor 2 brand though, sun glasses, hat, sip a lot of water, watch for signs of dehydration/sunstroke - NOTE: "F€ck this is tough, maybe I'll stop' is not one of those signs.
    Also - can somebody make sure that Blockic finishes this one??

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Factor 2000 is on hand for Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck to all those running in Cork on Monday. Watch the heat, water the head & neck, wear sun block(ic) - not the Hawaiian tropic factor 2 brand though, sun glasses, hat, sip a lot of water, watch for signs of dehydration/sunstroke - NOTE: "F€ck this is tough, maybe I'll stop' is not one of those signs.

He'll be grand, he's running it at his true pace so he should see it through ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone running in Cork! Make sure you lash on the sunscreen!
    I did 6 miles today at 9 mins/mile. I'm hoping for a sub 52 minutes on Monday for the Fwwm 10k to give me a PB. Fingers crossed.

Need to decide weather I'm going to do the midlands half marathon on the 11th August as today is last day of early bird rate. As much as I said I wouldn't do the rock n roll half on the 5th due to its ridiculous price, it would be fairly convenient for me location wise and probably be cheaper for me overall. Just not sure I wanna do such a commercial one if that makes sense?? Decisions decisions......

Good luck in your 10km Sara :) Are you not doing Clontarf half in July?

Gavlor wrote: »

So when is the blocky/gavlor showdown...all this talk, we want action :p

God I'm so excited for all you weekend marathoners. Best of luck to New runner in Derry on Sunday and all the Cork-bound boardsies...absolutely can't wait to hear all about it...give 'er socks guys :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck to all running this weekend, hope ye get a bit of cloud cover (not happening).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hope ye all have a great running weekend. Go for it. Enjoy it. You've earned it.

Runchick wrote: »
    So when is the blocky/gavlor showdown...all this talk, we want action :p

Soon! I better get my finger out and do some training.... For all the people running in cork and hanging for a pint, it's not worth it! Dying all day due to excessive beering at cat laughs in Kilkenny last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Won't be counting my chickens just yet..I need to start first!
    Gavlor wrote: »

Some wind up merchant you! I reckon the half marathon distance is my best chance at taking ya. You'll destroy me at the shorter distances. Cheers for the cat laughs invite also! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

blockic wrote: »

Some wind up merchant you! I reckon the half marathon distance is my best chance at taking ya.

I think your best strategy is to take him from behind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Big Logger wrote: »
    I think your best strategy is to take him from behind ;)

Diiiiiiirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    God I'm so excited for all you weekend marathoners. Best of luck to New runner in Derry on Sunday and all the Cork-bound boardsies...absolutely can't wait to hear all about it...give 'er socks guys :D:D

Thanks Runchick , ankle holding up at min anyway. Had to do a local 5k charity walk/run last night straight after work , I walked it slowly with kids , though delighted that even with been on my feet all day at work n the walk , my ankle was fine , so fingers and everything crossed!!
    Best of luck to everyone doing cork on Monday too . And Sara good luck with the 10k, I reckon u will smash ur PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Best of luck in Cork folks - keep the faith in you're training and put those demons aside! & remember plenty fluid.........looking forward to Monday evening already....race reports keep em coming!!!

Anyone any advice on a calf problem - took a week off after Limerick,back then 3 days/week,handy pace,couple of 4milers,6miles at weekend - went to physio with calf as just didnt feel right - he said tissue related & very close to the bone - gave it a good rub out etc - run away easy pace though for a little while and stretching (no surprises there)2 weeks on and im still niggling - beginning to get a bit annoyed now as I was hoping to start moving with a bit of mileage - wondering should I get further advice or hope that it will eventually go and just take it easy ? passed by one of my friends the other night while out for a 4m and the feedback was 'did u know ur limping slighly on one leg'.....bugs me that If i take it easy and it still doesnt heal my DCM 2013 plan becomes affected in a few weeks.

SouthMan wrote: »
    Best of luck in Cork folks - keep the faith in you're training and put those demons aside! & remember plenty fluid.........looking forward to Monday evening already....race reports keep em coming!!!

Anyone any advice on a calf problem - took a week off after Limerick,back then 3 days/week,handy pace,couple of 4milers,6miles at weekend - went to physio with calf as just didnt feel right - he said tissue related & very close to the bone - gave it a good rub out etc - run away easy pace though for a little while and stretching (no surprises there)2 weeks on and im still niggling - beginning to get a bit annoyed now as I was hoping to start moving with a bit of mileage - wondering should I get further advice or hope that it will eventually go and just take it easy ? passed by one of my friends the other night while out for a 4m and the feedback was 'did u know ur limping slighly on one leg'.....bugs me that If i take it easy and it still doesnt heal my DCM 2013 plan becomes affected in a few weeks.

Hey SouthMan sorry to hear about the calf. All I would say is find a good physio who you trust and follow their advice to the letter...I wouldn't have ran DCM last year if I hadn't done this. If you are limping you definitely need more advice. You have plenty of time to get sorted now before it gets any worse, and then tackle DCM training. Best of luck :)

blockic wrote: »

Some wind up merchant you! I reckon the half marathon distance is my best chance at taking ya. You'll destroy me at the shorter distances. Cheers for the cat laughs invite also! :p

Haha, I knew you'd be giving out! Went to see Kevin bridges for a work night, he's a funny f*cker!

I'm running the Waterford half at the end of June if you fancy losing to someone so old that he was watching the hand of god in 86 ;)

SouthMan wrote: »

Sounds like a few more physio visits are in order, they can advise if you need something more intensive than a massage. Prob best to take the hit now and rest up now rather than two months down the line. Im the same as you, have had a tricky calf since about march and ive really taken it easy since Limerick, took a full 10 days off week before last:eek: Easing back now and feeling the benefits. Best of luck, hope it clears up!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Back home from the Cork Marathon Expo.Nerves & excitement building now.

Took part in a 5k race last night in Touraneena,plan was to run it in 24mins(MP) but finished a bit quicker than planned :D(22:30) but it was nice to run & enjoy the race & not race it.We were served up with lashings of strawberries & ice-cream afterwards(the only reason why I did the race;))

Thankfully leg is feeling ok too so roll on Monday

RACING a 5k 2 days before the marathon! You sir, are crazy! Glad the leg is ok, feel a bit rusty myself today, but hope it will all loosen up as I run on Monday. Just finished at the expo myself, met up with Blockic, not much at the expo but delighted with my lovely purple t shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good luck to all the racers!
    See some of ye in cork! Ill have my boards jersey so say hello when you catch your breath ;)

Looking forward to the race reports, keep positive out there guys even if you're starting to feel it, a lot of this lark is mental! Fingers crossed for ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Good luck to all the marathoners hope all goes according to plan for you

Advertisement