Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'm going to dip in and (steal) borrow some of the sessions if that's ok?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm going to dip in and (steal) borrow some of the sessions if that's ok?!
    Does that mean you're going to follow the plan but pretend that you're not actually following the plan because Gavlor doesn't follow plans? :D

Does that mean you're going to follow the plan but pretend that you're not actually following the plan because Gavlor doesn't follow plans? :D

50+ miles per week?! Gavlor don't do plans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

50+ miles per week?! Gavlor don't do plans :D

You'd be well capable of it Gavlor. As I said I will only be prescribing a Long Run and a session each week, I'd recommend running 5/6 times a week (i.e. 3-4 easy/recovery runs) to make up the weekly mileage but if you were cycling you could easily drop some of the easy runs...

menoscemo wrote: »
    You'd be well capable of it Gavlor. As I said I will only be prescribing a Long Run and a session each week, I'd recommend running 5/6 times a week (i.e. 3-4 easy/recovery runs) to make up the weekly mileage but if you were cycling you could easily drop some of the easy runs...

Might look at that. To be honest I can obviously see the merits in running 5-6 days per week but I have zero interest in that. However maybe 4 days running mixed in with the bike might work....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Yippee!!! I've been looking forward to starting the planning for DCM13 :) Thanks Meno. I'm only on my phone at the moment so can't update table until later. But my details are
    Mileage: 30/35 per week
    Mileage willing to do: 50-55
    Goal: sub 3.30

User|Current mileage|planned peak mileage|DCM Goal
    Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    elPadrino|30+|50+|3:30
    Weetabix|25+|45-55|4:15
    Statts|30+|50-60|3:30
    DOCO12|30-35|50-55|Sub 3:30

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Just catching up now, have to say well done New Runner. Very impressive time considering what you went through. The efficiency of those toilet stops was quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Big Logger wrote: »
    Killian, have you looked at the marathon plan in the irish runner? Schedule2.

Yep, thats one of my options.

Thanks Boss. with regards to mileage, I'll do whatever the plan tells me to.
    Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Might look at that. To be honest I can obviously see the merits in running 5-6 days per week but I have zero interest in that. However maybe 4 days running mixed in with the bike might work....

I see merit in this approach - get the same work done and have a bit of variety.

In other news Physio has diagnosed my sore feet as Plantar Fasciitis. So I'm working on fixing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

In other news Physio has diagnosed my sore feet as Plantar Fasciitis. So I'm working on fixing that.

Ah balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments etc. Sorry report so graffic but as it was a factor in my race (had to delete the word run as it was an unintended pun lol) I felt had to include it!
    Jeez reading about the DCM plans and even with sore, blistered feet I'm thinking "am I def not going do Dublin??"
    Oh dear!!! Def plan to do Derry waterside half marathon in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs
    Alan|30|50-60|Sub 3:15

I'm fairly flexible with total mileage, as long as I stay pretty much injury free I'll attempt to do any recommended distances. Currently hoping to aim for somewhere near 3:15 (3:44 last year so this is probably a little ambitious). Have signed up for the Rock-n-Roll 1/2 at the start of August which give me a much better idea of target time.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ah balls.

Thanks, not so bad though, exercises, stretching, hot/cold treatment and orthotics (already planned) should see me good. its not as bad as the internet is making me believe!

Thanks, not so bad though, exercises, stretching, hot/cold treatment and orthotics (already planned) should see me good. its not as bad as the internet is making me believe!

According to dr google I've already died twice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

New runner wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the kind comments etc. Sorry report so graffic but as it was a factor in my race (had to delete the word run as it was an unintended pun lol) I felt had to include it!
    Jeez reading about the DCM plans and even with sore, blistered feet I'm thinking "am I def not going do Dublin??"
    Oh dear!!! Def plan to do Derry waterside half marathon in Sept.

Hope to be there too, have you ran it before?

According to dr google I've already died twice!!

Well if anyone saw you in person....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Sorry about the injury Killian but glad to hear its under control. How long have you noticed the sore feet?

• Advertisement

Well if anyone saw you in person....

I've had a nice few big steaks since limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

User Current mileage planned peak mileage DCM Goal
    Runchick 35+ 55-60 sub4
    elPadrino 30+ 50+ 3:30
    Weetabix 25+ 45-55 4:15
    Statts 30+ 50-60 3:30
    DOCO12 30-35 50-55 Sub 3:30
    Killian 30+ 50+ 4hrs
    Alan 30 50-60 Sub 3:15
    Tenreds30+ 50-60 3.30

Would love to join this,did my first marathon last weekend in 3.43 and think I could have gone maybe 1 or 2 mins faster (splits 1.53 &150).Done a 20,21.20 in training and would like to do a fourth for DCM.Bit of a mileage junkie so looking forward to this :D

Maybe someone can fix that table for me.

Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs
    Tenreds|30+|50-60|Sub 3:30

Great, looks like we have the makings of a good little group going!!
    @ tenreds, you just remove the
    tags but don't remove the tags.

@Alanm the Rock'n'roll is a good plan. I advise you keep training away for that and keep your LSR up around 14+ miles. You'll need a week taper and then an easy week after but you should join in the Marathon specific traiing after that.

For the others we should start to think about a few races in September/October, as the easy/hard weeks of the plan will have to be designed around tune up races. I'd advise doing a half about 5/6 weeks out. Is everyone doing the Dublin half (21st Sept) or would the Athlone half (15th September) suit more? Ideally everyone would be racing on the same weekend so is it possible everyone picks one of those two halves?

I also normally like to schedule a shorter race near the end of the programme, ideally 2 weeks out. So keep an eye out for a 5-10k race in your local areas in mid october...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs
    Tenreds|30+|50-60|Sub 3:30
    murphd77|30+|50ish|3:45

Count me in, Meno.

May was a washout for me with injured ankle so 30+ represents my March/April average. Not that interested in getting much above 50 miles a week with my ancient bones - found it difficult to get in the 5 runs a week that HHI2 called for this winter/spring (although I did get out for most of them before the injury). Would love an option to cross train on the fifth day as I have a decent bike that needs to justify its purchase. Love LSRs so no problem with the number and duration of these.

I love the Phoenix Park so a plan that incorporates the Dublin Race Series 10m and HM is appealing to me (although it would be no great hardship to travel to Athlone if that HM suits the group more).

Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I'll do the Belfast HM on 22 Sept so same weekend as Dublin. Its the first year of a half there and I really hope it doesn't turn out to be the shambles the full tends to be :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ncmc wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that murph, tough to have to pull out at the 11th hour. They seem to be pretty decent about deferring, so maybe you could defer until next year. Hope all is ok and everyone makes a full recovery.

Thanks for the tip, ncmc. Got in touch with the organisers last week and they agreed to defer entry till next year for myself and the missus. So will try to do the half next year - my recent injuries suggest to me that two marathons a year is a step too far for me right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I'm signed up for the Dublin half on 21st. Seems a long way off at the minute :)

Thanks Meno. I'm doing 13/14 mile LSR's at the moment, is there any benefit to building them up to 15/16 (or more) over the next couple of months? I'm planning to do the Dublin half too. Will be in Budapest two weeks before DCM, was thinking of doing the 30k option of the Budapest Marathon (13 Oct) treating it as my final LSR. They also have a 7k Fun Run, would I be better off racing this?

Alanm wrote: »
    Thanks Meno. I'm doing 13/14 mile LSR's at the moment, is there any benefit to building them up to 15/16 (or more) over the next couple of months? I'm planning to do the Dublin half too. Will be in Budapest two weeks before DCM, was thinking of doing the 30k option of the Budapest Marathon (13 Oct) treating it as my final LSR. They also have a 7k Fun Run, would I be better off racing this?

13/14 is fine but if you get up to 15/16 a few times before the race all the better. I think 16 before a half is plenty. You'd have to be doing 50 mile weeks to justify any more than 16 on a long run (good rule of thumb is that the long run shouldn't be more than 1/3 your total weekly mileage).

2 weeks out from DCM we will be looking at a race followed by a 15-16ish mile LSR the next day.... so I wouldn't do the 30k option especially as it will be too tempting to run it too hard which would be unproductive 2 weeks out from goal race. So yeah If I was you I'd be thinking of racing the 7k flat out...

• Advertisement

13/14 is fine but if you get up to 15/16 a few times before the race all the better. I think 16 before a half is plenty. You'd have to be doing 50 mile weeks to justify any more than 16 on a long run (good rule of thumb is that the long run shouldn't be more than 1/3 your total weekly mileage).

2 weeks out from DCM we will be looking at a race followed by a 15-16ish mile LSR the next day.... so I wouldn't do the 30k option especially as it will be too tempting to run it too hard which would be unproductive 2 weeks out from goal race. So yeah If I was you I'd be thinking of racing the 7k flat out...

Interesting, for some reason I've been under the impression that the LSR should be closer to 1/2 my weekly total! I guess I've a lot to learn yet.. Thanks for the advice, I'll go for the shorter one and race it: guaranteed PB too :)

Advertisement