Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

16k at 6am this morning on country roads. Just me, a few stray sheep and a couple of hares in the early sunshine. Idyllic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Guys, I know there's a forum just for this but I'm too lazy to trawl through it to find out what I need to know, so thought I'd ask you lot :D The time has come to upgrade my Garmin FR110. I absolutely love it but it is fairly limited as doesn't have virtual pacer, I can't preset intervals, can't see my pace at intervals less than a mile. Also HR monitor is starting to play up a fair bit.

I've been considering the 310 or 410. Anyone here got either of these? If so what do you think? Are they easy to use? Are they comfortable? Which watch do folks here use?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Runchick wrote: »
    Guys, I know there's a forum just for this but I'm too lazy to trawl through it to find out what I need to know, so thought I'd ask you lot :D The time has come to upgrade my Garmin FR110. I absolutely love it but it is fairly limited as doesn't have virtual pacer, I can't preset intervals, can't see my pace at intervals less than a mile. Also HR monitor is starting to play up a fair bit.

I've been considering the 310 or 410. Anyone here got either of these? If so what do you think? Are they easy to use? Are they comfortable? Which watch do folks here use?

I have the 410, its my first so i cant compare it to other models but i think its great. does everything i want it to do and more.

one concern some have with it, is the 'bezel'. you touch & slide your finger on it rather than push buttons. It can be a bit fiddly.

I use the 410 too - got a good deal on it last year but I think I read somewhere that it's being discontinued. Probably plenty of them still about though. The bezel is indeed a bit fiddly but I find it works OK. Although apparently it drives some people nuts.

This watch is very customizable in terms of what it displays. I run without my glasses so it was a big advantage to be able to configure the watch to display in large digits that I can actually read.

The virtual pacer is very useful in races - although having said that some of my better performances have come when I left the watch at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Having used the 310 (aka helicopter Landing pad) for Dublin last year and subsequently getting the 410 forerunner at Xmas, I would definitely recommend the 410. Smaller, more stylish, easy to use and fully functional. The bezel gets some bad press but I've had no issues with it and it can be locked if wearing long sleeves etc. I also use it for the bike which is an added bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks guys, the 410 it is :D The prospect of a new garmin makes me feel like a kid at christmas, can't wait :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

A bit late..but fwiw I had a FR110 and now I have a 410 and I really like it. Dont use half the functions yet but I will. You can lock the bezel easily so you dont have to put up with the sensitivity of it. I did have to return it though as the start button kept sticking but Garmin repaired it under warranty and it has been fine since. I like the size too as it is not much bigger than a normal watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Is the 410 fully waterproof? That's the reason I've the 310 on top of my shopping list. The fact that the speaker on my 305 died due to exposure to sweat has really annoyed me (I may have mentioned it before :D) but the 310 seems to have all of that covered.

The 410 is 'sorta waterproof' - the DC Rainmaker guy claims he wore it in the shower for a month without any ill effects. Here's the review FWIW:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/01/garmin-forerunner-410-in-depth-review.html

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Is the 410 fully waterproof? That's the reason I've the 310 on top of my shopping list. The fact that the speaker on my 305 died due to exposure to sweat has really annoyed me (I may have mentioned it before :D) but the 310 seems to have all of that covered.

Check this out http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/01/garmin-forerunner-410-in-depth-review.html

Under "Swimming" it says
    The FR410 is ‘sorta waterproofed’. By that, I mean that from a pure technicality standpoint it passes IPX7 waterproofing standards, which means that it’ll support being kept at 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. This does not however mean that it’ll be happy about it. Nor does it mean that it’ll be happy about being strapped to your wrist for 30 minutes whacking the water every 1.2 seconds during the water entry portion of your stroke.
    What it does mean though is that it’s generally safe to have around water, and more than fine for rain. Rain isn’t a problem, as it isn’t subjecting pressure on the components. It’s water depth that causes issues. You can stay in the rain all day with it (as I have), just don’t stay in the pool all day with it. It’s also fine in the shower, as I’ve been doing that every day for over a month now – no issues.

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    The 410 is 'sorta waterproof' - the DC Rainmaker guy claims he wore it in the shower for a month without any ill effects. Here's the review FWIW:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/01/garmin-forerunner-410-in-depth-review.html

oops you got there before me Murph;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Having used the 310 (aka helicopter Landing pad) for Dublin last year and subsequently getting the 410 forerunner at Xmas, I would definitely recommend the 410. Smaller, more stylish, easy to use and fully functional. The bezel gets some bad press but I've had no issues with it and it can be locked if wearing long sleeves etc. I also use it for the bike which is an added bonus.

Was there anything wrong with your 310 Gavlor or was it just a matter of having been given the 410 as a present?

Was there anything wrong with your 310 Gavlor or was it just a matter of having been given the 410 as a present?

I had borrowed the 310 for a couple of months before dcm, originally as a precursor to buying one.

Ah right. Thought it was you who'd bought a 310 from handtec and posted the link here.

Ah right. Thought it was you who'd bought a 310 from handtec and posted the link here.

Must have been another Amazingly talented and ridiculously good looking runner ;)

Nah - wasn't me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Must have been another Amazingly talented and ridiculously good looking runner ;)

:D

Race Report- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85027354#post85027354

A measly 3.66 miles tonight but the most enjoyable I've had in a long time.See report to find out why!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

RedRunner wrote: »
    Race Report- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85027354#post85027354

A measly 3.66 miles tonight but the most enjoyable I've had in a long time.See report to find out why!:D

sounds like a sex scandal :)

Big Logger wrote: »
    sounds like a sex scandal :)

No , that'd be a Racey report! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Very quiet on here last few days! Has no one anything to keep a gal occupied in this awful wet weather :( I've been taking it easy since the marathon, thankfully feet much better, ended up having to take an antibiotic for my infected toe, it's fine now n blisters much better, few toe nails missing but that not painful.
    Planning doing a club fit for life 5k in buncrana tomorrow morning, though not expecting to do well in it as each run I have done since Derry feels such an effort. Going on from it then to Derry to do the female hospice walk with my 2 daughters which we do every year, hopefully b better weather than today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Did the Marlay park 5k this morning, I hadn't ran a 5k before so didn't really know what to expect of myself pace wise but I was really looking forward to a race, hard and all as it was to drag myself out of bed! I've only been jogging since Limerick but this week will be my first 5 day running week in a long time so I'm slowly building back up and I felt I'd get an idea of where I was by how I felt in this.
    Got down early and once I got warmed up I was feeling grand it was a nice sunny morning with a good crowd, maybe 350 odd. From Strava my unofficial 5k PB was 22 something but this was the last 3 miles of the Bohermeen half, so a fairly soft PB! I said I'd go for sub 21 as I didn't know what would be in the legs or how I'd react to running "fast" rather than plodding.
    Race started and my garmin went a bit wonky, had no GPS signal, just stopwatch. I went off anyway and settled into the back of a group of maybe 5 or 6. The first Km was a bit of a shock to the system, hadn't opened the taps like this in a while! The course goes into some woods and becomes a nice trail type surface and by about 7 minutes on the watch im settled down. Somewhere in the second mile we hit a bit of a drag, that turns into a hill so I'm gasping a wee bit as we reach the top. The course turns into a nice fast downhill and a levelish stretch before a slight drag to the finish. I got in at 20.20 by the watch and in thirty something place I think, certainly not the deepest field anyway! Fairly satisfied with the time, I felt like I didnt go a full eyes bulging effort but still tough going towards the end. Now that I'm familiar with the course I'd be hopeful sub 20 in the next few weeks would be on the cards as I start building miles again.
    Next goal race is the Fingal 10k so I intend to do this a few more times before.
    How often would people advise racing a 5k in say the next 6 weeks? I'm not doing anything particularly fast during the week just building miles but will start some sessions week after next I reckon, probably starting with some mile repeats at 10k pace and go from there depending on how the legs hold up.

Credit due to the volunteers, its a really nice event and free of charge, if anyone is in the area you should give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Race Report,Clashmore 5 mile race

Headed down the road to Clashmore for a 5 mile race last night.This is not a PB course & is also the course where I ran my first 5 mile race 2 years ago in 42mins or so.
    Thankfully all the heavy rain that was around yesterday stopped around 7pm as I headed out the door.
    A 2 mile warmup & off to the start line.
    While I felt beforehand that Cork Marathon didn’t overall take a lot out of me I’ve still taken it easy over the 2 weeks & erred on the side of caution.

The first 2 miles are a gradual climb with a nice hill for the next 0.7mile or so.
    The intention heading into this race was to take it handy & try & have something left in the tank for the finish.
    As the first mile progressed I could feel the calves tightening,so much for Cork not having an effect on me, settled in with a group of club runners who I usually pass early in race but they always seem to pass me flying over the last mile or so.
    As we started the second mile I could feel my legs loosening out a little & the group was pressing on nicely to the start of the hill.
    As we approached the hill I see could runners ahead starting to struggle & also some of our group began breaking up.I pushed on up the hill,breathing felt good & legs were starting to feel the love for running again.Passed many runners on this stretch while only being passed by one & also lost the group of club runners.As we got to the top of the hill I caught with the guy who passed me out.
    As we started the downhill section we both settled into a nice rhythm but my aim was not to be caught by the group of club runners usually pass me out.
    At this stage a lot of the runners ahead of us were spread out but with the two of us working together we were able to pick off quite a few runners while not being passed ourselves.
    Hit the home stretch which has a small incline before a 100metre decent,we were both pushing each other at this stage but he made a big burst with about 20metres to go,while I tried to follow I was pipped on the line by a second.

Mile 1|Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5|Total
    7:59|8:00|8:06|6:47|6:27|37:19

Overall a good night’s work,I feel pleased enough with the performance but really happy with the finish.I know it may take another few weeks to get Cork out of the system but I’m really looking forward to doing more of the 5 miles that are on locally over the few months.

The plan going forward?
    Provisionally gonna pencil in the Clonmel Half Marathon in August .
    As a build up to it I’m gonna try & do 5 mile races where possible & use them for speed work or where there’s no races follow some of Meno’s sessions that he had us doing over the winter while also keeping up LSR’s.
    I was toying with the idea of also just running Waterford Marathon at the end of this month but I have now knocked that idea on the head,it’s probably too much too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great running D! I'm so glad you decided against waterford, I thought it was madness tbh, I know you weren't planning on racing it, but you know yourself how hard it is to stick to that pledge when the adrenalin starts pumping! I know you weren't happy with how Cork went and I was worried that if you had a bad race in waterford due to not being fully recovered, it could really put a downer on your running. Best to focus on the shorter distances for a while and then go and tear up the streets of Dublin!

Looks like there'll be a nice few of us doing Clonmel. A cuppa, some cake and a chat will be the order of the day... Oh and I suppose some running too ;)

docjewel wrote: »
    Provisionally gonna pencil in the Clonmel Half Marathon in August
    Nice one - another one for the crew!
    I was toying with the idea of also just running Waterford Marathon at the end of this month but I have now knocked that idea on the head,it’s probably too much too soon.
    I had similar thoughts after GLR - in relation to Cork, Portumna, Waterford, and just about any other marathon to get a monkey off my back - but abandoned Cork, Portumna & Waterford after a while (well the closing dates passed without me entering!). Still half thinking of Killarney.:o I know, as you did, that it makes more sense to take a breather.

See you in Clonmel!

11.65 miles @8:39 avg. More of a long easy run than an LSR but a good work out to round of an excellent week for me. I've signed up for Athlone HM too so that will be my goal HM before DCM. Looking forward to that as have rarely run outside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

RedRunner wrote: »
    11.65 miles @8:39 avg. More of a long easy run than an LSR but a good work out to round of an excellent week for me. I've signed up for Athlone HM too so that will be my goal HM before DCM. Looking forward to that as have rarely run outside of Dublin.
    Jebus going outside the Pale ..... will you be safe do you think? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

not if you're around and still grumpy from your over training :D;)

Haha...the question is....will you be safe!?:pac:;)

I'm from the De Northside ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Went n done the 1st in the fit for life series in buncrana today, didn't expect too much as knew it only 14 days since marathon, so tried to warn myself not to b disappointed. Knew when seen the couple of the best club runners that it was prob going b a quick race. Settled behind front line n when whistle blew the pace was very quick. Didn't try n keep up with the front runners as knew not a chance in hell. 1st mile was way too fast n knew I'd never manage to hold it, 6.42! . Struggled on the hill at about 3.5k but kept going n kept behind the 5th runner, was delighted n really surprised to finish in 21.44! A PB by 16 secs n in 6th position. Knowing my 2 daughters at finish line def helped. We then headed to Derry to take part in the Foyle hospice walk with approx 5000 other ladies. Lovely day all round. delighted!

Advertisement