Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

New runner wrote: »
    Went n done the 1st in the fit for life series in buncrana today, didn't expect too much as knew it only 14 days since marathon, so tried to warn myself not to b disappointed. Knew when seen the couple of the best club runners that it was prob going b a quick race. Settled behind front line n when whistle blew the pace was very quick. Didn't try n keep up with the front runners as knew not a chance in hell. 1st mile was way too fast n knew I'd never manage to hold it, 6.42! . Struggled on the hill at about 3.5k but kept going n kept behind the 5th runner, was delighted n really surprised to finish in 21.44! A PB by 16 secs n in 6th position. Knowing my 2 daughters at finish line def helped. We then headed to Derry to take part in the Foyle hospice walk with approx 5000 other ladies. Lovely day all round. delighted!

Well done NR, great running and nice way to warm down too with the walk for a good cause.

photo.JPG

Friend sent me this and I thought it was quite good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Lovely 7.5 miles around the Phoenix park at around 8 this evening, warm sunny and not a breath of wind and exactly what the doctor ordered after a long stressful day at work.:)

5.76 miles tonight which included a 2 mile race sandwiched in between warm up and cooldown.

Completed the 2 miles in 13:18 which I was very happy with. Another PB as I've never run that distance before. Bit of a lung buster alright.Give me an LSR any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

getting worried now with this calf problem - physio last week - rest for a day or so after then a few slow easy miles on Monday night - all going great,feeling fresh etc until I was on the way home - low and behold it returns again and feeeling it somewhat even the day after.My head tells me go on again tonight for a few slow miles - maybe it just needs some loosening out - Grrrr if I dont get on the road soon!!!was planning some HM's for august - but thats on hold now - even a 10k at the mo would be a struggle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Sorry to hear that southman, injury very frustrating! Grrrr! So hard to know what to do, hopefully u will get sorted soon. Have u ruled out a biomedical reason? as in gait analysis to see if u need orthotics or something? Foamrolling?? Solis muscle stretching?? I was stretching my outer calf muscles but wasn't stretching the deeper Solis muscles!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Thanks NR - Have been doing plenty foam work and stretching but to no avail - went again for 3m last night - really easy pace but im still not convinced.It just doesnt feel right at all - It seems like it needs to be flushed out or something - giving me a 'clogged up' feeling on the whole calf.Maybe I should try hot and cold along with the other remedy's.Thanks for the advise though - typical,fine weather and i'm practically off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Knee operation this morning, now for the rehab. Consultant said it was a success, 4-6 weeks recovery before anykind of running takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Speedy recovery Tang, hope all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

tang1 wrote: »
    Knee operation this morning, now for the rehab. Consultant said it was a success, 4-6 weeks recovery before anykind of running takes place.

Take it handy, Tang.
    Hope the rehab goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Hope you're okay Tang, take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Look after yourself.Hope the recovery goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck tang. Did you get any idea from any of the medics as to what caused the injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

murphd77 wrote: »
    Best of luck tang. Did you get any idea from any of the medics as to what caused the injury?

The consultant that done the op reckons i twisted my knee badly recently and that caused it, for the life of me i can't remember ever twisting my knee but not to say i didnt.

Still feeling the effects of the plantar fasciitis but not so bad now as it was. I've been doing some strength training & swimming so I assume I've been keeping the fitness up. Boy, if we think we get hungry after a marathon, you should feel the hunger after a tough bought of gym weights!

Going to take a shot at the Marlay Parkrun this morning and I'm back to the physio next week to have my orthotics fitted.

Its getting a bit slow around here, have the cool gang moved over to CM's blog permanently?

Its getting a bit slow around here, have the cool gang moved over to CM's blog permanently?

Reckon its just the calm before the storm....when marathon plans start kicking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Reckon its just the calm before the storm....when marathon plans start kicking off.

Speaking of which, I was just looking at the plan I did up and a 16 week programme would begin after next week (1st July).
    Is everyone happy enough to start then?
    It won't be too specific for the first few weeks so anyone still following another plan can keep doing so for another few weeks.

Also is there any interest in the race series? with those races on at 4/5 week intervals it is easy to plan to have the race series at the end of 'stepback' weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Still feeling the effects of the plantar fasciitis but not so bad now as it was. I've been doing some strength training & swimming so I assume I've been keeping the fitness up. Boy, if we think we get hungry after a marathon, you should feel the hunger after a tough bought of gym weights!

Going to take a shot at the Marlay Parkrun this morning and I'm back to the physio next week to have my orthotics fitted.

Hey Killian glad to hear the pf is on the mend. Still plenty of time to get back on the marathon training band wagon :D Tis slow around here alright but I'm sure Meno will change that soon enough ;) Have you decided on a training plan for DCM (injury allowing of course)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

menoscemo wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I was just looking at the plan I did up and a 16 week programme would begin after next week (1st July).
    It won't be too specific for the first few weeks so anyone still following another plan can keep doing so for another few weeks.

Also is there any interest in the race series? with those races on at 4/5 week intervals it is easy to plan to have the race series at the end of 'stepback' weeks...

I won't be doing the race series but am considering a 10k on 28th July and then Belfast half on 22nd Sept so similar enough. Can't wait to see what you have in store :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nah, I'm still here

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Killian glad to hear the pf is on the mend. Still plenty of time to get back on the marathon training band wagon :D Tis slow around here alright but I'm sure Meno will change that soon enough ;) Have you decided on a training plan for DCM (injury allowing of course)?

Thanks, Meno said his plan will loosely fall around a P&D plan and I'm interested in the science behind P&D so I'll be keeping a close eye between the two.

Looking forward to starting the plan and having a regime in place that I can stick to. Though suffering a bit with my back at the moment. Registered for Irish Runner 5 mile next week and Athlone HM. Whether I get to do the other race series races will depend on work commitments and how they pan out date - wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Race Report, Dromana 5 mile race

Continuing the build up to the Clonmel Half,did this race last night,it starts practically on my doorstep.
    Ran a 5k route as a warm-up that we use here for a Spring & Autumn running league.
    After the weather being dry all the day the Gods that be decided that a bit of watering wouldn’t go astray prerace but thankfully the rain eased with about 10 minutes to the starter’s pistol
    First 2 miles are mostly a pull uphill,found it tough to get into a rhythm for the first mile,a bit more settled for the second mile & at the start of the downhill,tried to push on here to try & gain some time but unfortunately a stitch along here hampered me a little.
    Once the stitch had eased I was on the go again but the legs were starting to feel heavy,I was passed by my sprinting/running buddy from last weeks raced but the body couldn’t respond to his request to push on.
    Through the Indian designed Dromana Bridge & up a small pull before I hit the last mile,the last mile is a bit like the Straight/Carrigrohane road in Cork for the marathon,long & never ending before another slight pull up to the finish line.
    I have to admit that heading into this race I wasn’t feeling a 100% & it told during the race when I couldn’t push on in places where I know I should be able to push on & take advantage of,this was confirmed by looking at the heart rate data today & it was higher last night than any previous races that I have ran while using it.

Mile 1|Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5|Total
    7:32|7:26|7:23|7:21|7:04|36:46

Races planned for the next few weeks:-
    Thurs 27/6/13 Shanagarry 5mile
    Fri 12/7/13 Rathgormack 5mile,
    Fri 26/7/13 Ballymacarbry 5mile,
    Thurs 1/8/13 Conna 5k or Clogheen 5K,
    Fri 9/8/13 Ardmore 5mile,
    Sun 18/8/13 Clonmel Half Marathon.

Good running Doc despite not being 100%.Good finish in last mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

... is there any interest in the race series? with those races on at 4/5 week intervals it is easy to plan to have the race series at the end of 'stepback' weeks...

Have entered all the race series events except the 10k. Entered the marathon while I was at it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Great running doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

murphd77 wrote: »
    Have entered all the race series events except the 10k. Entered the marathon while I was at it. :D

I did the exact same even though I had decided to give it a miss this year. This running lark is too additive!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

I'm still tuning into the thread! Missed the Cork marathon due to a very painful glute/groin injury that flared up 6 wks before the race..just couldn't shift it. Lessons learnt..am now a strict devotee of Pilates and stretching! Have had a few fantastic but painful Thai and Lao massages here in SE Asia...I think I'm good to go again! Actually managed a few runs whilst on hols but the heat here soon put a stop to those. Looking forward to Irish summer temperatures on my return next week and to training for Dublin 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Teeley wrote: »
    I'm still tuning into the thread! Missed the Cork marathon due to a very painful glute/groin injury that flared up 6 wks before the race..just couldn't shift it. Lessons learnt..am now a strict devotee of Pilates and stretching! Have had a few fantastic but painful Thai and Lao massages here in SE Asia...I think I'm good to go again! Actually managed a few runs whilst on hols but the heat here soon put a stop to those. Looking forward to Irish summer temperatures on my return next week and to training for Dublin 2013!

sounds fab m. glad your groin is on the mend!

am off to the Tonga Islands myself in two weeks. hope to catch a Polynesian massage or two myself.

Advertisement