Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Steroo wrote: »
    Hi all, after a 2 month lay off I'm ready to give it another go for dcm, have not done a whole lot really, bit of cycling and core work. Had 600 miles under my belt fom jan to may. Now I'm unsure how much to do first few weeks back. 20 miles a week maybe? I was thinking 2 easy weeks and then into the marathon plan... Sound ok? Thanks

Great stuff Stephen, good to have you back.If you are looking for a running partner for a few slow miles any time, give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I agree with Blockic, you have nothing to lose from racing this and you can see where your at fitness wise after the marathon, make use of your endurance. Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on :)

Well I followed Menos advice this morn and did 4 miles at 9.45ish pace. Even at that pace legs were being dragged abit but I have to say I felt very refreshed after it. Cheers meno:)
    If I get up early enough tomo morn (need to get ready for night away before the Lions game :) ) Ill go for more easy miles, distance wise will see, may have to leave the lsr until after next weekends race.

Link here DOCO

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85301913#post85301913

Thanks all for the push/advice this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great stuff Stephen, good to have you back.If you are looking for a running partner for a few slow miles any time, give me a shout

Will do red, next week maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Oh God can't believe I've just entered the Rock n Roll half!! must b mad lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

New runner wrote: »
    Oh God can't believe I've just entered the Rock n Roll half!! must b mad lol!

Yep, I'm the same, but it's the next step that I have to take to get to my goal of an ultra!:)

• Advertisement

New PB (36 secs:rolleyes:) in Race Series 5 mile this morning. Race report:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328&page=38

Reasonably happy as it is a PB but plenty of room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Last year my Race Series experience was confined to the August 10-miler, but this year I’ve signed up for the 5-mile, 10-mile and Half Marathon. After all, who needs an excuse to run in the Park?

Being quite familiar with the course from training runs I knew what to expect: a tough course for a short race. It starts and finishes in the highest section of the park, with the half-way point at one of the lowest. In other words, downhill first half, uphill second. Not an ideal negative split course.

After a decent breakfast of porridge, bagel, cream cheese and coffee there was some time to kill so I watched the season finale of Mad Men at the unusual time of 8am before driving to the Park :D Parked near the Zoo, and with about 25 mins to spare there was plenty of time for a very slow walk/jog warmup as I made my way to the line. There were about 2,700 runners today, divided into three waves. Wave One was for sub-40, so with a 38-min target, I lined up towards the back. It was a warm morning, quite humid for the early hour.

Smooth start

The race started more or less on time at 10am and the opening mile, while fairly congested, was smooth enough. The announcer had done a good job of guilting people into the appropriate waves and so, for me at least, there wasn’t any weaving and dodging over the opening stretch up Chesterfield Avenue. Things were a little tight at the bottleneck right turn onto North Road but other than that the first mile was uneventful.

Mile 1: 7:27

Here comes The Horse

Around the beginning of the second mile a fellow runner’s increasingly heavy breathing began to seep into my consciousness. I’m exaggerating only slightly when I say the gent was exhaling like a horse, and despite my best efforts to tune it out it started to bother me. The Horse was running at exactly my pace. I considered putting in a spurt to get him out of earshot, but didn’t want to mess with my own pace too much. I hoped he would fade (from his breathing it certainly sounded like he would). But he hung in there, on my shoulder, deep into the Kyber.

Mile 2: 7:19

Bye bye, Horse

As the downhill Kyber section is followed immediately by the climb up Military Road, I tried not to get carried away on the downhill, but to bank a bit of time for the uphill graft. The Horse was still in the vicinity, and I figured I’d lose him on the climb. At the Magazine Fort, with about 40 seconds in the bank, I used the arm-pumping technique advised on this thread a couple of weeks back to negotiate the hill. So far so good – but the pace was starting to take its toll. It was worse for The Horse, however. My strategy worked beautifully as the exhalations faded into the distance.

Mile 3: 7:27

Starting to fade

The race settled into the kind of existential silence that often descends on the stretch through the S-bends and past the Hospital. At the water station just past the bends I grabbed a cup and threw most of it over my head. The humidity was adding to my discomfort as we headed for the business end of the race. The uphill drag was sucking the life out of the legs and as we got to the four-mile mark, most of the banked time was gone. It would be tight.

Mile 4: 7:52

My HTFU just F’d O

The final mile, as is often the case, is a bit of a blur. The view of the Glen pond, a favourite spot, offered a little pick-me-up here, as did the volunteers who were doing a good job on the encouragement side. But after the turn into the Furze Road, I didn’t really have anything to kick with (in marked contrast to the 10-mile and Half Marathon races in the Spring). The “400m to go” sign provided little relief: I felt every one of those strides as the finish line came into view. As the race clock up ahead clicked past 38 minutes, I guessed my chip time would be about half a minute later. There was no point looking at the watch at this point as I just needed to get to the line. I was being passed, but was passing a few others too. I stumbled over the line, had a bit of a gag, but the nauseated feeling passed quickly. I checked the Garmin. 38:02. Would the official time be kinder? Nah.

Mile 5: 7:57

Return of the Horse

As I headed into the chute, there was a bit of a scuffle behind me. I looked over and there was The Horse, being challenged by the marshals. Turned out he had no race number! They tried to prevent him going through the chute but he got pretty aggressive and they wisely let the bandit through. It is a public space, after all. Don’t know if he tried for a goodie bag but without a number it would have been difficult. Nice green shirt in the bag, and I was grateful for the apples and bananas available – they’re usually gone by the time I finish so I must be getting faster.

Walked and jogged back to the car. Checking the phone, rtrt.me had tweeted my time as 38:03, so any hope that the Garmin held out for an official sub-38 was gone. Not to worry though – it was still a 35-second PB, so I can’t complain about that (well actually I could, but I won't)..

More importantly though, I beat The Horse!

Previous PB: 38:38 (Raheny 5, Jan 2013)
    Target: <38:00
    Time: 38:03
    Verdict: More stamina required.

Good running there Murphd77. You paced that one a lot better than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Great running lads n great reports, read yours on your log RR! Well done to u both on your PBs

13.26 miles @9:12 today. Nice run with some hills thrown in and a good 44mile week. Very happy with that.Building nice base for marathon training when it kicks in. Itching to see "The Plan" Meno:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Took 2 minutes off last year's 5 mile, delighted! And finally got around to joining a running club this week, about 7 months later than planned :-) DCM looking likely again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedRunner wrote: »
    13.26 miles @9:12 today. Nice run with some hills thrown in and a good 44mile week. Very happy with that.Building nice base for marathon training when it kicks in. Itching to see "The Plan" Meno:)

OK Cool. I have just realised there are still 17 weeks to go; but let's get cracking!!

So a couple of Ground rules: I am only going to prescribe 3 runs per week. A Wednesday session; Thursday recovery and a weekend Long run. I will also give a weekly mileage target which you can make up yourself on the other days in whatever way suits you best. Thursday is a recovery run, and you should always do a recovery run the day after a session or race. Recovery run should be no more than 5 miles (or 50 minutes) and you should do it 50% slower than your 5k pace or at around 70% of your max HR

All runs apart from prescribed sessions should be easy. Easy should be at least 10% Slower than MP or if you are unsure of that; think 30-40% slower than current 5k pace. For those with HRM: in and around 75% Max HR- you should never go over 80%Max at any stage of an easy run.
    You can replace Easy for rest or Cross training on days when you plan to do so. Just make sure to hit your weekly mileage total most of the time.

User|Current mileage|planned peak mileage|DCM Goal
    Runchick|35+|55-60|sub4
    elPadrino|30+|50+|3:30
    Weetabix|25+|45-55|4:15
    Statts|30+|50-60|3:30
    DOCO12|30-35|50-55|Sub 3:30
    Killian|30+|50+|4hrs
    Alan|30|50-60|Sub 3:15
    Tenreds|30+|50-60|Sub 3:30
    murphd77|30+|50ish|3:45
    RedRunner|30+|50+|3:45
    overpronator|25|55-60|3.29|

From the table a few weeks ago, most people are planning to peak between 50 and 60 miles. Weekly mileage totals will be set between two targets: so those aiming for 50 miles max should go towards the lower end and the higher mileage folks towards the higher end. Obviously this should also be in line with your current Mileage. If you are currently doing 25 mile per week, don't try to jump in a 40 miles on the first week!! If you are currently doing more miles, don't be afriad to step back: the total mileage and intensity will ramp up pretty quickly through the plan: we will be peaking early enough in the plan and then maintaining mileage (incresing intensity).

Grand so, this week's plan is:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10 x 800m| Recovery|Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-13 miles easy| 35-40 miles

Wednesday's session is a bit of a fitness test. We will go again at the same session later in the plan to see how things are progressing.
    The pace for the 800m's is in and around your 5k pace (maybe a touch slower) but the Idea is to teach you good pacing. I want the time of the 800s to be consistent and the last rep to be your quickest so don't go off haring through the first few and die a death at then end!!

If you have a track at hand, run 2 laps. If not; set your gamin up to 1/2 mile laps and run out and back on a flat piece of road. Everybody does these sessions differently; Some people like to jog recoveries and others rest. Just to make it the same for everyone- take 60 seconds standing recovery between reps.
    Make sure to come back and report how it went. I am interested in hearing the average time of the 800's (not pace- time as garmin are poor at tracking distance/pace on a track).

Best of luck and if anyone has any questions just fire ahead!!

Brilliant, thanks Meno. Looking forward to following this.

Forgot to mention. On the session you need an easy warm up and an easy (more likely recovery paced) cool down.
    With 5 miles worth of intervals you should cover 8-9 miles total at a minimum.

You should also do strides at the end of one of your easy runs, 6-8 x 100m. If yu get bore d with strides you can do 6-8 x 10-15 second hills sprints to mix things up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Can I add to this...I don't think anyone going for anything other than sub 4 should really follow this plan. Its starting off quite aggressive at 35 miles and will only get tougher. I just don't think you need that kind of mileage and intensity for 3.59 to 4.30 hour marathon.
    I'm not trying to spoil the party here or be argumentative, this is my opinion on the matter.
    It could end up leading to over training/injuries and a repeat of the P&D problems the group have experienced.

Big Logger wrote: »
    Can I add to this...I don't think anyone going for anything other than sub 4 should really follow this plan. Its starting off quite aggressive at 35 miles and will only get tougher. I just don't think you need that kind of mileage and intensity for 3.59 to 4.30 hour marathon.
    I'm not trying to spoil the party here or be argumentative, this is my opinion on the matter.
    It could end up leading to over training/injuries and a repeat of the P&D problems the group have experienced.

I totally disagree with you categorizing people by their Marathon targets: Last year Blocky ran sub 3:30 of an average of 20 mile/week. If he had attempted this plan he would likely not have made the start line...however other people put in 50+ mile per week and didn't break 4 hrs. They still put in the work and got the best result for them.

Sessions might look tough but everyone does them at their own pace.

What i ask and I think it ha been made quite clear is that people attempting this plan should be regularly running 30+ miles per week this year. If you have been doing that; you should be fit for the mileage regardless if your target is 3hrs or 5hrs.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I totally disagree with you categorizing people by their Marathon targets: Last year Blocky ran sub 3:30 of an average of 20 mile/week. If he had attempted this plan he would likely not have made the start line...however other people put in 50+ mile per week and didn't break 4 hrs. They still put in the work and got the best result for them.

Sessions might look tough but everyone does them at their own pace.

What i ask and I think it ha been made quite clear is that people attempting this plan should be regularly running 30+ miles per week this year. If you have been doing that; you should be fit for the mileage regardless if your target is 3hrs or 5hrs.

Was Blocky really doing 20 miles per week...wow. amazing result.

If you're running 50 miles a week and not hitting sub 4 after 18 weeks training then its time to try another sport. Or is it a case of being so run down from doing 50 + miles a week that you're not hitting sub 4.
    This plan in my opinion would suit someone super fit for sub 4 or someone not working f/t with responsibilities.

By the way meno, i think your plan is very good and i admire your commitment to this group.

Was Blocky really doing 20 miles per week...wow. amazing result.
    Yeah I think he ran less than 400 miles over 18 weeks with a peak week of 35 miles :eek:
    If you're running 50 miles a week and not hitting sub 4 after 18 weeks training then its time to try another sport. .

My Point was a Hypothetical one (although I am sure some people were running that much and did not break 4hrs); but that's a bit harsh. Some people enjoy running and just want to do the best for them. Dare I say it; you are sounding a bit elitist :p

By the way meno, i think your plan is very good and i admire your commitment to this group.

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Yeah I think he ran less than 400 miles over 18 weeks with a peak week of 35 miles :eek:

!

That's high mileage in my book :D

Ah yes...35 miles a week...20 at the start...lets get the stats right so that some stranger doesn't read this and try to run sub 3.30 on 20 miles a week biggrin.png
    Lets also point out hes a healthy 25 year old male who probably did lots of mileage in secrecy wink.png

My Point was a Hypothetical one (although I am sure some people were running that much and did not break 4hrs); but that's a bit harsh. Some people enjoy running and just want to do the best for them. Dare I say it; you are sounding a bit elitist :p

No, im a caring female, im actually thinking more of their joints when they hit 60 and need a knee replacement from doing too much mileage smile.png

Thanks!!!

You're welcome!

• Advertisement

Ah yes...35 miles a week...20 at the start...lets get the stats right so that some stranger doesn't read this and try to run sub 3.30 on 20 miles a week !

NO, he did actually average 20 miles a week over the 18 weeks AFAIK.
    He had 1 35 mile week and many others under 20 miles. I am sure he will clarify when he sees this...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

NO, he did actually average 20 miles a week over the 18 weeks AFAIK.
    He had 1 35 mile week and many others under 20 miles. I am sure he will clarify when he sees this...

Sounds about right. Most of the novice group last year followed HIgdon Novice 1 or 2. I followed 2 which averaged about 26 miles per week over the 18 weeks. Peak was 35. Blocky might have been on novice 1 which was the default plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Personally I would avoid using blockic as a reference point for any point. One outlier can neither confirm nor dispel a training approach/ philosophy. Clearier made some excellent references to this in a previous thread

I think for most people maxing out at around 50 off the base they are on now is a safe progression as long as you do this slowly and cautiously. It should not just be lumped on to the long run but rather slowly increase the training load across the week (If you are training 4 days a week with a Long run adding an extra day and building up while tacking on an extra mile here and there you can run up 20 miles pretty easily).

The reference to knee replacements and joint problem is a bit of a misconception however it does highlight the importance of supplementary work and a careful well thought out progression taking into account the athletes prior injury/ training background.

With the references to the correlation between mileage and time this needs to be taken into context. Mileage for the sake of mileage will not improve an athlete. A higher volume allows the body to adapt to be able to handle greater volumes of higher intensity training. Normal sessions may involve about 5% of your overall weekly mileage at this higher intensity (no including recoveries or warm up/ cooldowns) so a 50 mpw runner will be able to safetly conduct roughly half the volume of higher intensity work in each workout (depending on the purpose of the session as this is a rough example)

Overtraining is a fear but people only see the training as the problem when more often than not it is a case of under recovering. The lifestyle around training should be approach with as meticulous a nature to ensure the effects of the training wont lead to illness or injury. Sleep, hydration, muscle flexibility and nutrition all play a role

If you plan to embark on the higher mileage you need to look after yourself around the training but it is possible and very doable especially from the base man in this thread are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I am still injured and may be for a while yet, I am hoping that my 18wk plan will change to a 12wk plan.

My current circumstances make smarter training even more important as I will have less time to train than I would have liked and will have to start from a low mileage base. I'm gonna give his marathon lark one more chance!

I am keeping fit with 1000m swim 4/5 days a week and 3 strength sessions but its still not mileage in the legs.

Its incredibly frustrating not being able to run, (especially when my novice running wife has just broken my 10k Pb!) but I'll reassess my options when I get back on the roads. I'm not starting your plan Meno as hoped, good luck everyone that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear your still injured Killian, hope your back on the roads soon. I know how frustrating injury is.

Cheers for starting the plan for us Meno. Unfortunately I won't be able to start it rightly until next week. I'm assuming it wouldn't be a good idea to do either a 13mile lsr or 10 x 800 session the week of a race??? :)

Love the flexibility of the plan that we can fill in the other days ourselves. Best of luck everyone :D

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your still injured Killian, hope your back on the roads soon. I know how frustrating injury is.

Cheers for starting the plan for us Meno. Unfortunately I won't be able to start it rightly until next week. I'm assuming it wouldn't be a good idea to do either a 13mile lsr or 10 x 800 session the week of a race??? :)

Love the flexibility of the plan that we can fill in the other days ourselves. Best of luck everyone :D

Yeah, absolutely take it easy this week and join in when you are recovered from the race. What race/distance is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Yeah, absolutely take it easy this week and join in when you are recovered from the race. What race/distance is it?

It's 8K, its our local one so the pressure is on to do well in it. An easy mile week for me on the roads it is so :) I do often wonder how the people who seem to race every week get all their training in around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I am still injured and may be for a while yet, I am hoping that my 18wk plan will change to a 12wk plan.

My current circumstances make smarter training even more important as I will have less time to train than I would have liked and will have to start from a low mileage base. I'm gonna give his marathon lark one more chance!

I am keeping fit with 1000m swim 4/5 days a week and 3 strength sessions but its still not mileage in the legs.

Its incredibly frustrating not being able to run, (especially when my novice running wife has just broken my 10k Pb!) but I'll reassess my options when I get back on the roads. I'm not starting your plan Meno as hoped, good luck everyone that is!

Hey Killian best of luck with your recovery, must be very frustrating indeed. Better to happen now I suppose while you still have time to resolve it. Very well done to your wife, she'll be running marathons in no time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Are you hoping to run DCM yourself this year BL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I actually started P&D 18 week <55mpw plan last week so going to give that a go for a few weeks. I'll still keep an eye on your plan Meno and will probably end up doing a mixture of the 2! I copied the below table from last years improvers thread, it people want to keep it going then just quote this post, delete my comments and the quote tags, copy my line down and fill it in with your own data, no worries if people don't want to use it!!

No|Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions|Miles/KM This Week| YTD Miles/KM | Comments

1|Weetabix |P&D <55 |1|2|33m| 631m | First week of P&D, all runs completed!

Advertisement