Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Injury & holidays has resulted in me putting on 3/4 stone! However it's been shifting since Monday.

Watch your portion size, don't eat sh1t & exercise more. The best way to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

blockic wrote: »
    How are peoples diets going lately? I'm not too bad during the week lately and have cut out most of the crap, however weekends are still a bit of a struggle! :D

Funny you ask about this,was in with my GP on Monday morning,I feel that I've been lacking in energy lately & he basically said I've got to eat more!!!:D (& no I haven't lost weight since Cork,have actually put on a few pounds:mad:)

On an update of where the running is at the moment,I'm still plodding along on the mileage front,did another 5 mile race last week(36:33,awkward course but happy enough with the result) but have a slight hamstring strain after it so decided to skip this week's planned 5k race & do meno's session instead,did it yesterday in the wind & rain,was tough on only a few hours sleep but felt good after it.

It's the first of meno's midweek session that I've done from his plan but with no more shorter races really planned I'm looking forward to these between now & DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Really enjoyed running this week, including Wed session:

1. 20 mins warmup (10:10) avg 10:06
    2. 20 mins easy (9:20) avg 9:18
    3. 20 mins PMP (9:00) avg 8:53
    3. 10 mins HMP (8:20) avg 7:57
    4. 21 mins cool down (10:20) avg 10:29

I just ran the HM miles rather than checking time, sometimes I think I spend too much time looking at my watch checking pace rather than running . Have had a good weeks running this week - got up and out early to get five runs in, only 18 miles LSR to do on Sunday to complete week! As for diet as Scriba said earlier as long as it keeps raining I should be ok ;)

A note Re LSR this weekend - am heading up to Amphibian King in morning for some new trainers and was wondering should I be stocking up on gels at this stage - 18 miles is a long time on the feet or should I just stick with usual banana/jelly babies for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Willie42 wrote: »
    A note Re LSR this weekend - am heading up to Amphibian King in morning for some new trainers and was wondering should I be stocking up on gels at this stage - 18 miles is a long time on the feet or should I just stick with usual banana/jelly babies for now?

That's entirely up to you.
    Personally I don't like using gels during training but will use them in the race. If you are going to take banana/jelly babies anyway then from a training point of view it makes no difference (i.e. you are going to consume energy during your run). I prefer not to take gels just because they are a very expensive form of energy!! €2 for 100 calories. You could get 700 calories of mars bars for that price!!

From a training point of view: if you can train the body to do long runs without eating anything then it will really stand to you come the marathon. The energy you consume in the race will give you a bigger boost; but more importantly you will be less likely to hit any walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah agree with what Meno says, I dont think I used a single gel in training for Limerick, even on a 22 mile run. I think this approach on training runs definitely improved me and I knew I would be ok taking them in the race as I took about 6 during DCM12 withough a problem.

If you know you can stomach them id leave them out personally.

Will stick with what I am doing in training and bring the trusted water - wasn't sure if I should be taking on something extra at this stage so thanks for advice guys

Will stick with what I am doing in training and bring the trusted water - wasn't sure if I should be taking on something extra at this stage so thanks for advice guys

If you are used to eating during long runs; you might find you struggle the first time you try to run with just water. But your body soon gets used to it.

For a long slow run I generally don't consume anything except water. With these runs you are supposed to teach the body to burn fat; so taking on energy is counterproductive.
    Once we start introducing MP sections into the long runs you might want to take something (sports drink, gel, banana etc) as at MP you will be burning more glycogen. It's also good to practise taking on energy at MP as that is what you will be doing on the day. In the past I have found that what I can stomach while running slow is totally different to what I can stomach when running at race pace.

Thats exactly what happened me last year during DCM - fuel I took on during LSR didn't agree with me on the day of DCM - could hardly bear to even drink water which I obviously needed - lips were blue according to my son at the end! I really don't want a repeat of that so want to try and do as much the right way this year as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

After an injury hit week I ventured out for an easy 2.5 miles this morning. Signs are good so far that I can return to training next week. Hopefully that'll be the last injury before DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

18 mile lsr at 9.16/mile.

After a good day/night out Fri and a pizza and crisps diet yesterday this was never going to be an easy one. Opted to run on empty as had eaten late last night. Had two glucose sweets with me so had these during the run. This is the first time I've stopped and gone to the toilet during a run. Found every step extremely difficult and without a doubt it was all down to dehydration. Thankfully I'd water left out in the route as the sun came out and temps def up again today.
    Am happy to have this one ticked off and its feet up watching the football from Croker for the rest of the day :) Thats 48.5miles for me for the week so my biggest mileage week. Am thinking no alcohol come the 1st of Sept. It's just not worth it.

Good luck to everyone who's doin the Rock and Roll half tomo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

DOCO12 wrote: »
    18 mile lsr at 9.16/mile.

After a good day/night out Fri and a pizza and crisps diet yesterday this was never going to be an easy one. Opted to run on empty as had eaten late last night. Had two glucose sweets with me so had these during the run. This is the first time I've stopped and gone to the toilet during a run. Found every step extremely difficult and without a doubt it was all down to dehydration. Thankfully I'd water left out in the route as the sun came out and temps def up again today.
    Am happy to have this one ticked off and its feet up watching the football from Croker for the rest of the day :) Thats 48.5miles for me for the week so my biggest mileage week. Am thinking no alcohol come the 1st of Sept. It's just not worth it.

Good luck to everyone who's doin the Rock and Roll half tomo :)

Nice LSR DOCO, what marathon time you targeting?

+1 on the best of luck to everyone running tomorrow.

18 mile LSR 9:52 avg mile - good run today glad got out early temps defo up again today. Best of luck to anyone running tomorrow

A bag of crisps for the Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon must go down as the worst goodie bag in history, my wife is running it, I am insanely jealous! ( of her running, not the bag of crisps)

However as I was registered for the Dun Laoghaire 10k I said I may as well go out & collect my pack as I had paid for it. I immediately handed back my chip and without even asking they offered to transfer my entry to next year, and I got to keep the tshirt, very nice of them.

Best of luck to anyone running tomorrow, go fast & safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Watch your portion size, don't eat sh1t & exercise more. The best way to lose weight.

The thing I've to keep reminding myself is that I'm only not gaining weight because I'm burning the calories off by running. That doesn't mean that I'm not caking my arteries with crap when I eat fatty food. There's no glory in being skinny if you die of a coronary anyway.

18 mile LSR this morning,avg pace 9:52,was nice to come home & find the bath filled with cold water:-D for a quick dip,we'll be fooked when these water charges come in :-(

Felt good during this run,a bit tired for the last 3 miles but it feels good to have it done.

As others have said best of luck to all tomorrow & look forward to the reports.

Sorry, for being a bit late this week!! With the bank holiday tomorrow I almost forgot it was sunday :o

Anyway plan for this week is below. I know there is a of of variation at the moment, some people are just coming back from injury or illness; others are racing the half tomorrow. In either case don't try to hit the peak mileage. Ease yourself back into running and try to hit the lower end of the mileage (don't worry if you come up a little short either).
    I know Alan is racing the half tomorrow. My advice there would be to avoid the session on Wednesday and just do some easy miles up to the weekend. Do the LSR only if you are feeling up to it!!

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 2 x 4mile @ MP|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-18 miles easy| 40-50 miles

We'll keep the LSR at 18 for now. Wednesdays session is very simple. Make sure to do a warm up + cool down and take 4 or 5 minutes easy jogging between MP sections.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Squeezed in the 29k LSR this morning, in between Croke Park visits yesterday and today. Longest run of the year so far, happy to have gotten through it and at the planned 6min/k pace. Most of it took place in Phoenix Park which is always nice.

62k for the week. A little below the plan, but happy with the progression.

Went for a jog tonight, 1.5mile. I'll tell you tomorow how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Rock-n-Roll 1/2 race report

Brilliant Rock-n-roll race this morning! I lined up within sight of the 1:30 pacers hoping to let them drift away slowly - knowing full well 1:30 was too ambitious. Of course the race starts and I immediately think, sure if I just catch up with that Yellow balloon... That was going well for the first few kms as we headed down the quays towards the phoenix park and Id actually closed up quite a bit.

Phoenix park of course is a 2 mile drag up hill so my pace dropped off a bit and sensible side came out and I ended up following my initial plan of letting them drift away slowly. Next few miles drifted past nicely with plenty of water stations and of course the music every mile or so which I enjoyed (although felt myself change pace with the music a few times!). Little hill at chapolizod was no surprise and once I got up that I knew it was all fairly flat from there on. Upped the pace a little again a finished pretty strongly which I was delighted with. Even managed to jog the couple of miles home to help recovery.

Overall, enjoyed the race, delighted with the time: 1:32:07 by my watch :) PB by almost 5 mins.

Thanks for the advise on how to handle this week Meno - I definitely won't risk anything..

• Advertisement

Went for a jog tonight, 1.5mile. I'll tell you tomorow how it went!

A little stiff & sore but no worse than before I started. I'd call that a decent start back. no desire to rush back though, slowly & surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Rock n Roll half marathon
    Bit disappointed to finish in 1.45.00, though to be honest knew I wasn't running as well as I was, thing is I'd have been delighted to have ran 1.45 on 30th March in omagh half, however did it surprisingly in 1.40.58. So can't help feeling bit disappointed at finishing over 4 mins slower. knew as soon as I started that I wasn't comfortable, was breathing heavily n finding pace v fast, hadn't realised that there was a 1.40 pacer n when they caught up with me at around 5miles n struggled to keep up, they seemed to b running v fast at that stage, think when I knew I'd lost any chance of PB I gave up a bit, could easily have given up at mile 8ish but after stopping, taking a drink n giving myself a good HTFU talking to, I carried on as best as I could n at least managed a strong 200m finish. Legs felt ok throughout, just hadn't got it in me today. Like the Donegal team yesterday, Def wasn't my day. :(
    Always next time. Hard to know WHY, some my friends reckon I need cut down training/ mileage a bit, reckon 2 marathons in short(ish) time takes its toll. I feel not doing that much mileage at moment n not sure if I need crank it up a bit or rest a bit. All so confusing Argggg!
    Definitely not going to do DCM this year, hopefully Derry marathon on 1st June next year.
    Hope everyone else did well n are happy with how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey New runner well done for battling on yesterday when the demons were obviously at you :) Sounds like the kind of races I've been having recently so I can really understand, still though a great result. I think the choice between resting or cranking things up would be to rest - without the marathon to train for the timing seems perfect for a break. Just my 2cents worth anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorry, for being a bit late this week!! With the bank holiday tomorrow I almost forgot it was sunday :o

Anyway plan for this week is below. I know there is a of of variation at the moment, some people are just coming back from injury or illness; others are racing the half tomorrow. In either case don't try to hit the peak mileage. Ease yourself back into running and try to hit the lower end of the mileage (don't worry if you come up a little short either).
    I know Alan is racing the half tomorrow. My advice there would be to avoid the session on Wednesday and just do some easy miles up to the weekend. Do the LSR only if you are feeling up to it!!

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 2 x 4mile @ MP|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-18 miles easy| 40-50 miles

We'll keep the LSR at 18 for now. Wednesdays session is very simple. Make sure to do a warm up + cool down and take 4 or 5 minutes easy jogging between MP sections.

Good luck!!

Out of curiosity, what's the thinking behind taking 5 mins easy before and after the mp miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Thanks Runchick, I knew wasn't running near as well n said last week that I felt I would b 1.45. I was standing at start line along with 2 other club runners, females also, who I actually beat in a 10k less than 2 weeks ago, trying to decide should I go away back n not even attempt to start with them, they looking in and around 1.40 also, I was trying to decide would we b able to help each other? Would I go off too fast starting with them? Started with them but knew within few mins they were faster than I wanted to b going n certainly faster than I was comfortable at. I pulled back n I guess maybe watching them both push further n further ahead I maybe give up even then, knew I wasn't going to catch up n also knew I was still gonna b 3rd woman home for club as the other girls targets were much slower. It was funny coz cudnt blame heavy legs or anything, just laboured breathing n knew HR up, my zone testing couple weeks ago gave my lactate threshold as 167 n my avr HR yesterday was 178 so for some reason the effort felt much harder than my speed. In March I was running big miles n putting in fair amount speed/tempo work. I suppose after marathon in June I had month recovery n so all in all maybe haven't done enough speed etc. My feet where I got badly blistered during the marathon still giving me bother on long runs, tho blisters all healed, those areas burn n cause soft tissue damage each long run, did yesterday too n today feels tender but nothing too bad, I've even changed my runners again blaming them n doing everything but just seems my body wants a bit of a rest. Shouldn't feel too bad as since marathon I've took 16 secs of my 5k to 21.44 n nearly 2 mins of my 10k PB, tho I'm fairness hadn't done a 10k since end last August. So all in all I happy enough. Thanks for advise. Hope u feeling better this week.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the thinking behind taking 5 mins easy before and after the mp miles?

Just to make it a bit easier.
    Last week we did 6 miles straight at MP, this week is 8 (with a break) then it will be 8 continuous etc etc....just making a gradual progression. We will peak out eventually by doing about 13/14 at MP.

Tergat famously has one big session in his marathon programme which is 5, 4, 3, 2 , 1 miles at MP. He recommends taking 4-5 minute jog between MP sections; I guess I am copying him a bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just to make it a bit easier.
    Last week we did 6 miles straight at MP, this week is 8 (with a break) then it will be 8 continuous etc etc....just making a gradual progression. We will peak out eventually by doing about 13/14 at MP.

Tergat famously has one big session in his marathon programme which is 5, 4, 3, 2 , 1 miles at MP. He recommends taking 4-5 minute jog between MP sections; I guess I am copying him a bit ;)

Makes sense I guess! I would have thought that the easy pace was easy enough without dropping off another bit because of the mp.....

I believe a guy in the south east may have use a couple of your sessions in his dcm training programme for his buddies ;)

Brought forward the midweek session to tonight & will have to try & spueeze in the weekend's LSR on Thursday due to other commitments over the weekend.

Started really slow with the warm-up & hit the split button to start the first section after 1.75miles,first 2 miles were a little tough due to some hills but was happy enough to concentrate on effort over time on these sections.
    Was enjoying myself over the next few miles,so much so that I made an error in judgement & ended up doing 5 miles for the first section :o but no harm done.
    A slow jog & some water taken on board & hit the road for the next miles,first 2miles were pretty ok but hit a tough little hill on the last mile but again found myself putting in a good effort here & finished the second section as I was heading down a hill,was still feeling good so pushed on for the next half mile or so to the local quay hitting 5 mile pace along this straight

Overall felt it was a good session this evening & for the first time in awhile I'm really buzzing after a training run.

Makes sense I guess! I would have thought that the easy pace was easy enough without dropping off another bit because of the mp.....

I believe a guy in the south east may have use a couple of your sessions in his dcm training programme for his buddies ;)

Oh, I just though of another reason ;)
    The little break can be used to grab some water or a sports drink. Not nice to have to carry water on a run like this. I remember popping into a shop during the 5, 4 , 3 , 2, 1 run when training for Berlin last year, unfortunately we don't have water station on our training runs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Imitation being the most sincere form of flattery and all that... :D

Advertisement