Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

No running for me again today partly due to working late but happy to give the injured leg another day off. First run of the week tomorrow hopefully. Won't bother with a session this week obviously.Easy running only for me this week and hopefully will be able to do that. If I don't finish this week with a long run I will begin to get very worried about my DCM plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Fingers crossed things work out for you this week RedRunner.

Did Meno's session early this morning looking to do 9 min miles. First 4 miles avg 8:44 and second 4 avg 8:47 so happy with that - 10 miles in all. Second week of early morning starts and have to say enjoy knowing I can start the day having run done and not being under pressure to find time after work to fit it in. How long this love affair will last who knows!!

6 very slow miles done tonight.Feeling positive after it. Tomorrow is another day but hopefully can get a few more miles in then.

good work with the session today Willie, you're going well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Meno session

Stage Target Actual HR (HR%)
    2k Warmup @ 5:43k
    Lap 1 6.4k MP 5:18 5:18 156 (77%)
    5 mins recovery @ 6:19/k
    Lap 2 6.4k MP 5:18 5:13 165 (84%)
    Cooldown 1.6k @ 6:32

"Comfortably hard" is the right phrase. Had a bit left to kick on in the final mile of lap 2.

So I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

blockic wrote: »
    Nice LSR DOCO, what marathon time you targeting?

+1 on the best of luck to everyone running tomorrow.

Thanks Blockic, Im aiming for a sub 3.30. Must say I'm finding the long runs tough so far. Am I right in saying your doing a different marathon instead?

Did Menos session yesterday. Due to a road being closed I ended up doing 12.7miles in total -was too thirsty to do the last 0.3 to round it off :)

Aim was 7.55/mile
    First set of four: 7.46 / 7.38 / 7. 31 / 7.42 . Average = 7.39/mile
    Second set of four: 7.34 / 7.46 / 7.55 / 7.43 Average = 7.45/mile
    Happy how this went. Going to sign up for Athlone half this evening too, who else is in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Thanks Blockic, Im aiming for a sub 3.30. Must say I'm finding the long runs tough so far. Am I right in saying your doing a different marathon instead?

Did Menos session yesterday. Due to a road being closed I ended up doing 12.7miles in total -was too thirsty to do the last 0.3 to round it off :)

Aim was 7.55/mile
    First set of four: 7.46 / 7.38 / 7. 31 / 7.42 . Average = 7.39/mile
    Second set of four: 7.34 / 7.46 / 7.55 / 7.43 Average = 7.45/mile
    Happy how this went. Going to sign up for Athlone half this evening too, who else is in?

Yeah, doing Chicago. But I'll be running Dublin also, somewhere around the 3:30 mark so i might keep you company. ;)

That's a great session also, MP is tough and looks like you are blitzing your target times. You are well on track for sub 3:30 and change!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'll be running Dublin also, somewhere around the 3:30 mark so i might keep you company. ;)

Lemme guess - around 3.29.30?:D

Jeepers Doco you're looking like the next Career_Move - that's some serious training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Lemme guess - around 3.29.30?:

I bet I get closer to 3:29:30 than blocky ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »

Dear lord, the poor pacees!!

You two will be the only people finishing between 3.25 and 3.35 :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    Dear lord, the poor pacees!!

You two will be the only people finishing between 3.25 and 3.35 :D

Hopefully not.

• Advertisement

Hopefully not.

You'll be 3.24 ;)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Going to sign up for Athlone half this evening too, who else is in?

Yep, I'm signed up for that one too. Quite a few people from Boards doing it as far as I know.

Have to feckin finish first. Was thinking of giving Blockic a cattle prod and a promise of drink if he makes sure I stay ahead of him. Except in his part of the world that might be mistaken as a come-on... :P

You're buying me a drink in McGrattans when I finish 3:29:30 is it?...Grand job! :D
    Have to feckin finish first. Was thinking of giving Blockic a cattle prod and a promise of drink if he makes sure I stay ahead of him. Except in his part of the world that might be mistaken as a come-on... :P

All gifts accepted! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

You're buying me a drink in McGrattans when I finish 3:29:30 is it?...Grand job! :D

All gifts accepted! ;)

Hes only gifting you if you grow the perm back ;)

All gifts accepted! ;)

Nobody offer him anymore beer, he'll be throwing up after 2

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nobody offer him anymore beer, he'll be throwing up after 2

I know there was a good reason for bribing him and not Meno! It's a lot cheaper. :D

Athlone signed up for :D Seen on their Facebook that they expect to reach max capacity before closing next Fri, so if anyone is thinking of doing it get in now. It's a steal at €20.
    Thanks for positive feedback re MP session , so their will be plenty of company on the big day, good stuff :D Id love to do one of the big marathons, lucky u Blocky doing Chicago. Next year perhaps.

Very quiet around here these days. Did my 18mile lsr yesterday at 8.45/mile. I didn't look at watch throughout just went by feel . What a difference to what I went through last weekend doing the 18. Had a tiny bowl of porridge and half a cup of tea before I set out, had two water stops , will definitely need to have at least three in future as its still very warm.
    That's a 50mile week for me, so I'm very happy with that. I'm away now for the week and have a wedding next weekend so I'd say ill have a bit of a step back week this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Well, its time to face what I suppose I've known for a few weeks now and decide that DCM13 is not on the cards. I think I'll be fit enough & the injury will have healed by then, but having run about twice in the last 10 weeks there will obviously be an endurance issue.

I can feel my physio preparing me to face the reality that I may have to abandon the long repetitive running that comes with the marathon and that I might possibly concentrate on the half & triathlons rather than the full 26.2. I'll reserve judgement on this and see how things go over the next few months!

To be honest, I'm bitterly disappointed, I was really looking forward to running DCM13 and trying again; After the pain of running through last winter I was really looking forward to training properly in the summer warmth! This morning was the first morning I woke up completely pain free (so there is still hope!) but with about 11 weeks to the race I don't think its a realistic prospect.

Best of luck here everyone, I have no doubt you will all do your training justice and that there will be a table full of drinks awaiting Meno in McGrattans afterwards. Have fun & run safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

LSR 18 miles completed this morning 9:41/mile - found last 3 or 4 miles tough last week but felt comfortable throughout today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ok for those that have been running consistently for the past few weeks, this is our final build week before another step back next week. The stepback will come just in time for those racing the Frank Duffy 10 mile on 24th August, after which we will have another 2-3 week build before a taper week for our September HMs.

Anyway: this week we will get close to peak mileage and our first 20 miler :eek:. Take the 20 nice and slow, we want to get the 20 covered comfortably before introducing steady or PMP miles into the future 20 milers.

Wednesdays session should be an interesting one!!

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 8 miles alternating*|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-20 miles easy| 45-55 miles

Wednesdays session:
    1 or 2 mile warm up then 8 miles continuous alternating PMP + 20-30 seconds/mile and PMP - 20-30 seconds/mile. 1-2 miles warm down.

So to summarise: lets say PMP is 8 min/mile. After warm up do 1 mile @ 8:20 followed by 1 mile @ 7:40 and repeat 4 times.

Good luck!!

Wednesdays session:
    1 or 2 mile warm up then 8 miles continuous alternating PMP + 20-30 seconds/mile and PMP - 20-30 seconds/mile. 1-2 miles warm down.

So to summarise: lets say PMP is 8 min/mile. After warm up do 1 mile @ 8:20 followed by 1 mile @ 7:40 and repeat 4 times.

Good luck!!

:eek: Glad im not doing that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well, its time to face what I suppose I've known for a few weeks now and decide that DCM13 is not on the cards. I think I'll be fit enough & the injury will have healed by then, but having run about twice in the last 10 weeks there will obviously be an endurance issue.

I can feel my physio preparing me to face the reality that I may have to abandon the long repetitive running that comes with the marathon and that I might possibly concentrate on the half & triathlons rather than the full 26.2. I'll reserve judgement on this and see how things go over the next few months!

To be honest, I'm bitterly disappointed, I was really looking forward to running DCM13 and trying again; After the pain of running through last winter I was really looking forward to training properly in the summer warmth! This morning was the first morning I woke up completely pain free (so there is still hope!) but with about 11 weeks to the race I don't think its a realistic prospect.

Best of luck here everyone, I have no doubt you will all do your training justice and that there will be a table full of drinks awaiting Meno in McGrattans afterwards. Have fun & run safe.
    Sorry to hear that Killian, but I think it's a wise choice, I think it would be a massive mistake to attempt to run DCM when you've missed so much training. I think that could turn you off running for life! Maybe you could target a winter or early spring marathon instead? Or maybe concentrate on getting your times down over shorter distances and return to the longer stuff at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Too bad, Killian, but best in the long run. Besides, you'll have time now to write that Limerick race report. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ok for those that have been running consistently for the past few weeks, this is our final build week before another step back next week. The stepback will come just in time for those racing the Frank Duffy 10 mile on 24th August, after which we will have another 2-3 week build before a taper week for our September HMs.

Anyway: this week we will get close to peak mileage and our first 20 miler :eek:. Take the 20 nice and slow, we want to get the 20 covered comfortably before introducing steady or PMP miles into the future 20 milers.

Wednesdays session should be an interesting one!!

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10-12 miles including 8 miles alternating*|recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|Long run-20 miles easy| 45-55 miles

Wednesdays session:

Good luck!!

super session. That's a great plan Meno, seriously.
    Well done to everyone following this, you're in great hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

sorry to hear that - its a bitter blow I'm sure.
    But don't stop posting as you do so much good on here for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Killian so sorry to hear that news but I think there will be many more marathons for you in the future. Hope your injury improves quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Wednesdays session:

:eek: Glad im not doing that one!

I really liked this session when I did it and found it pretty manageable :D

@killianbyrne - Sorry to hear the injury is going to keep you out of DCM. Sucks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Having done my LSR last Thursday, I was able to do this session tonight which suits nicely so that it'll be easy runs for the rest of the week as I'm doing the Clonmel Half next Sunday.
    On paper this looks a tough session & I could have used next Sunday as an excuse not to this but the weather was practically perfect this evening for it.

My planned MP was 8:20
    2miles warm up|Mile 3|Mile4|Mile 5|Mile 6|Mile 7|Mile 8|Mile 9|Mile 10|2.75miles cool-down
    18 mins|8:35|8:01|8:42|8:09|8:05|7:56|8:26|7:50|26 mins

As the session went on I felt stronger so much so i missed the beep on the watch for a slower mile at mile 7 ,I was halfway through the mile before i realised it so did 3 of the faster miles on the trot here.
    Some of the run had some tasty little hills/drags in them,none more so than the last fast mile,but pretty pleased with the session overall.

Hope the rest of ye enjoy it later in the week as much as I did.

Advertisement