Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Hopefully see ya in Clonmel Doc! Don't know if there are many Boardsies still doing it between injury and other commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hopefully see ya in Clonmel Doc! Don't know if there are many Boardsies still doing it between injury and other commitments.

Yep,hopefully will catch up with up with you on Sunday (before you leave us poor slowbies quaking in your dust ;-)).

Beef is the only other Boardie that I know that's doing it,he's GUARANTEED to keep some chocolate cake for afterwards so will have to make sure we catch up with him too :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docjewel wrote: »
    Having done my LSR last Thursday, I was able to do this session tonight which suits nicely so that it'll be easy runs for the rest of the week as I'm doing the Clonmel Half next Sunday.
    On paper this looks a tough session & I could have used next Sunday as an excuse not to this but the weather was practically perfect this evening for it.

My planned MP was 8:20
    2miles warm up|Mile 3|Mile4|Mile 5|Mile 6|Mile 7|Mile 8|Mile 9|Mile 10|2.75miles cool-down
    18 mins|8:35|8:01|8:42|8:09|8:05|7:56|8:26|7:50|26 mins
    As the session went on I felt stronger so much so i missed the beep on the watch for a slower mile at mile 7 ,I was halfway through the mile before i realised it so did 3 of the faster miles on the trot here.
    Some of the run had some tasty little hills/drags in them,none more so than the last fast mile,but pretty pleased with the session overall.

Hope the rest of ye enjoy it later in the week as much as I did.
    Best of luck on Sunday D, gutted to be missing it now. What time are you aiming for? Good to see you back posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

docjewel wrote: »
    Yep,hopefully will catch up with up with you on Sunday (before you leave us poor slowbies quaking in your dust ;-)).

Beef is the only other Boardie that I know that's doing it,he's GUARANTEED to keep some chocolate cake for afterwards so will have to make sure we catch up with him too :-D

Great to see you back in the swing of things.... Enjoy that climb up the cahir road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Graduates...

Please see main forum for an A/R/T Fantasy Premier League code if anyone is interested in joining... Season starts this weekend!

digger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Graduates...

Please see main forum for an A/R/T Fantasy Premier League code if anyone is interested in joining... Season starts this weekend!

digger

Reported for spamming messages all over forums. (and PM's :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Graduates...

digger

Someone is starting early for Poster of the Year :D

ecoli wrote: »

I think he is trying to make a stab at modship. But with his murky past I don't think it is a goer. Imagine if all the dirty details hit the press; Boards would have to be shut down :pac:

ecoli wrote: »

:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think he is trying to make a stab at modship. But with his murky past I don't think it is a goer. Imagine if all the dirty details hit the press; Boards would have to be shut down :pac:

I don't have a murky past but I'm hoping to have a murky future! ;)

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday D, gutted to be missing it now. What time are you aiming for? Good to see you back posting!

Not sure yet,hopefully a solid performance,sub 1:45 or if the mood is right closer to 1:40...but this is not a goal race for me.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Enjoy that climb up the cahir road ;)
    Thats a beaut alright,I got injured in this race last year but as i struggled up here I passed alot of walkers:eek::eek:, I'm out for a little revenge this weekend;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Having missed out on my LSR at the weekend (holiday/recovery from rock-n-roll), i was eager to go last night for this weeks session.

My planned MP is around 7:30/mile, however, since I normally work in kms so I set my garmin to 1.6km and pace around 20-30 seconds/km either way. I ended up with:
    Mile1|Mile2|Mile3|Mile4|Mile5|Mile6|Mile7|Mile8
    8:01|6:37|8:06|6:49|8:05|6:47|8:06|6:47

So, a little slow on the slower ones and far too quick on the faster miles... Still enjoyed it and pretty happy about the pacing (even though it wasnt what the plan called for). I'm still checking the watch quite often to make sure my pace is correct, however, I seem to be getting slowly better at judging the pace I'm running at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another session done. Tough one tonight, but pleased with the results, which are here in my log.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Got Wed session in today - tough one but glad to have got it in.

MP 9 min so session times are 9:20 with alternating miles @ 8:40

Miles 1&2: 9:12 & 8:27
    Miles 3&4: 9:22 & 8:38
    Miles 5&6: 9:53 & 8:34
    Miles 7&8: 9:18 & 8:25

Hills finally got to me on mile 5 - never doing that route again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

I haven't posted on here in a couple of weeks, you guys probably dont remember but I decided to go with P&D up to 55 miles a week plan a couple of weeks ago, really beacause I though it suited where I was at mileage wise at the time, first week being 35 miles. I was at about 39 the two weeks before I started so I said id give it a lash. Its been enjoyable so far and I can see even now that my mostly one paced hal higdon self designed training schedule for Limerick left me unprepared for the pace I tried to run at.

Last weekend the first longrun called for 13 miles, with 8 at marathon pace, in the first week I think that's a pretty tough session. I had done a 16m LSR the weekend before so I decided to keep that as the mileage with the 8 miles at PMP thrown in. My plans changed on the morning as a mate decided to jump in for the first 6, which turned into 9 miles so the session ended up as 9 miles easy and 7 at PMP. I found the PMP miles ok, I wasnt too worried about time as it was a very hill route so I concentrated on keeping the effort even and steady, the splits came in at (7.49,8.12,7.46,7.41,7.54,7.15,7.25). I need to decide fully on PMP but I reckon ill train to about 7.30 from now on, overall the session felt good and I was feeling very strong at the end. Miles for the week 38

Last night was the first LT run of the program, it called for 8 miles with 4 at 15k-HMP. I had already done this session a couple of weeks ago so decided to add another mile and try to keep it around 10 mile race pace with one eye on the Frank Duffy. Session was
    2m warmup then 5.5 miles, paces were 6.47,6.52,6.39,6.33,6.38,6.40 and then 2 mile cool down. This was tough going but I was dialled into the pace alot better by mile 3 and finished feeling good but wrecked by the end. Based on this session Id be hopeful of going sub 70 in the Frank Duffy and maybe around 68 if i go well on the day, but this is the longest I've ran at race pace so we will have to see how much I slow in those hills towards the end. Long run this week will bring the miles for the week to 43.

Overall I'm really enjoying the plan, I think the base miles from Limerick are standing to me now and hopefully I can stay injury free, legs feel ok today so no doubt ill be injured come Monday :D

18 miles in the phoenix park this morning, nothing fancy about this one all easy miles ave pace worked out at 8.32. I was still tired after the session on Thursday, 4 mile recovery run last night was a sore one but this went alright apart from the last mile or so which was a death march!

I don't train by heart rate so I don't know where I fare on that score, wondering should I be running these slower?

I don't train by heart rate so I don't know where I fare on that score, wondering should I be running these slower?

Your target pace is 7:30 right? I was running with a few sub 3 hopefuls today and we averaged about 7:50/mile so your pace sounds OK. Steady but not flat out. I wouldn't worry about how slow these types of runs are, just make sure they are no too fast. (you'll have plenty opportunity for that when they start putting PMP into the long runs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

18 miles in the phoenix park this morning, nothing fancy about this one all easy miles ave pace worked out at 8.32. I was still tired after the session on Thursday, 4 mile recovery run last night was a sore one but this went alright apart from the last mile or so which was a death march!

as you said in my log we are at same level, my long runs tend to come in around 9.00ish, I'd say 8.45ish is a decent average pace for you, but I try and stick to my easy HR zone too which keeps me from going too fast. As meno said, the MP runs is when it becomes more important to hit the required target pace.

statss wrote: »
    as you said in my log we are at same level, my long runs tend to come in around 9.00ish, I'd say 8.45ish is a decent average pace for you, but I try and stick to my easy HR zone too which keeps me from going too fast. As meno said, the MP runs is when it becomes more important to hit the required target pace.

Nice to see you today there statts. We spied that haircut from a fair bit off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Nice to see you today there statts. We spied that haircut from a fair bit off :)

lol. be good to join in with you's when yous do another standard long run when I need to get some MP miles in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

statss wrote: »
    lol. be good to join in with you's when yous do another standard long run when I need to get some MP miles in.

ha that haircut is unique, I spotted you a half a mile away..

Your target pace is 7:30 right? I was running with a few sub 3 hopefuls today and we averaged about 7:50/mile so your pace sounds OK. Steady but not flat out. I wouldn't worry about how slow these types of runs are, just make sure they are no too fast. (you'll have plenty opportunity for that when they start putting PMP into the long runs).

Cheers, I'm kinda going by the PMP +10% idea laid out in P&D so 8.30 is a tad slower than that, I'd have no problems running slower as Statss suggested. The pace felt very easy right until the end but I might take it back next time out just to ensure I get the full benefit of a Lsr. As you say you can't run these too slow anyway.

Cheers, I'm kinda going by the PMP +10% idea laid out in P&D so 8.30 is a tad slower than that, I'd have no problems running slower as Statss suggested. The pace felt very easy right until the end but I might take it back next time out just to ensure I get the full benefit of a Lsr. As you say you can't run these too slow anyway.

That sounded a bit suspicious so I dug out the old P&D book. Page 137 he says: " the most beneficial intensity range for most of your long runs is 10 to 20% slower than your goal marathon race pace."
    Why is it that people only ever remember the upper range? ;)

That sounded a bit suspicious so I dug out the old P&D book. Page 137 he says: " the most beneficial intensity range for most of your long runs is 10 to 20% slower than your goal marathon race pace."
    Why is it that people only ever remember the upper range? ;)

Ha ha, thanks sensei! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

wowzer wrote: »
    ha that haircut is unique, I spotted you a half a mile away..

Photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Big Logger wrote: »
    Photos?

There's a pic a few pages back in his log.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Fourteen miles done this morning and can't say I enjoyed a minute of them. My shorts were cutting into me for most of it,I was tired and generally just couldn't get into it. Also decided to do three loops of a five mile route I run. I normally do an out and back run on my LSR so thought it might make a change. Well it was the most soul destroying run I have had in ages. Passed my house three times and it took every ounce of htfu not to go in and get back into bed! Anyway all done now.won't be doing loops or wearing these shorts again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

32.2k this afternoon. Felt great, strong throughout and at the end. One of the best long runs for quite some time - ran a route I'd run last year so it was good not to have to think about measuring it. The miles/kilometers seemed to just click by and I hardly looked at the watch really. Good to have a couple of 3:00+ training runs under the belt already.

Glad to hear that last week's sessionwas well received.
    We are having a step back week this week, which might also serve as a nice welcome back for those returning from injury. I don't know if anyone is doing the 10 mile race on saturday, but if so skip the session this Wednesday and also forget about the Long Run (although with warm up and cool down you should be doing close to 14 anyway).

Don't forget to put a few strides or Hill sprints into some of your easy runs.

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 8 miles including 4 @ HMP |recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|14 miles easy| 30-35 miles

The session should be 2 warm u, 4 @ HMP and 2 cool down.

• Advertisement

Did the Clonmel half marathon today,official result 1:45:05.
    Pretty happy with the effort up to the 10mile mark but around here it was as if there was no energy left in the tank.While the next mile r so is tough I wasn't able to take advantage of the downhill finish as well as the hamstring tightening up which necessitated a little walking to try & ease it out.
    Still though not too bad a day at the office,the confidence is slowly building back up.
    Next race on the cards is the Athlone Half Marathon so hopefully with its fast course it willbe a big confidence booster.

Advertisement