Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Thanks Runchick - will try and take it easy - hard to though when you have a lovely mid week session awaiting!! And on that note well done on your run this mornin @ 5:50am fair dues and your flying - hope niggles stay at bay for you - your well on track for DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Anyone on here planning on doing LSR in Phoenix Park this weekend? I wouldn't mind some company...

Preferably Saturday morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Emer911 wrote: »
    Anyone on here planning on doing LSR in Phoenix Park this weekend? I wouldn't mind some company...

Preferably Saturday morning?

I assume this would suit you emer?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86217604&postcount=30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

menoscemo wrote: »

Yea Meno, but I'm doing an 18 mile run and they're only on for 13. Will join them if I don't get any other takers. I've a put a post in the Group Training Sessions - Where & When thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Went from work to do the dessies 10k in Derry this eve. ran it last year in 48.5x but hated every min as I paced it wrong n did the 1st mile way too fast , must have swore 20 times if I got it finished I'd never run again let alone run the same race a year later!
    Was conscious from start of not going too fast n my target time was 46.59 which I'd worked out to b 7.31/m delighted to have ran a well paced race, fairly even splits finished in 46.38 by my watch, 7.28/m so decent PB! happy with that. Felt fairly comfortable until last mile unlike last year.
    Avr HR of 176, my LT is 167 . Good turnout with a fairly competitive field, with the winner Keith shield from Foyle valley finishing in an amazing time of 30.xx!!!! And 1st female 38.xx, amazing times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

New runner wrote: »
    Went from work to do the dessies 10k in Derry this eve. ran it last year in 48.5x but hated every min as I paced it wrong n did the 1st mile way too fast , must have swore 20 times if I got it finished I'd never run again let alone run the same race a year later!
    Was conscious from start of not going too fast n my target time was 46.59 which I'd worked out to b 7.31/m delighted to have ran a well paced race, fairly even splits finished in 46.38 by my watch, 7.28/m so decent PB! happy with that. Felt fairly comfortable until last mile unlike last year.
    Avr HR of 176, my LT is 167 . Good turnout with a fairly competitive field, with the winner Keith shield from Foyle valley finishing in an amazing time of 30.xx!!!! And 1st female 38.xx, amazing times!

Absolutely fantastic result NR, especially considering your niggles recently. Great confidence booster, you should be very proud of yourself :D So what's next for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Well done New runner. Are you doing the Waterside Half by any chance?

Runchick wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic result NR, especially considering your niggles recently. Great confidence booster, you should be very proud of yourself :D So what's next for you?

Thanks Runchick , yeah I'm really pleased. Planning to do the waterside half marathon on 8th September n hopefully will enjoy it better than the national half, will just have to accept that I not going to do as well as I did in omagh n aim a little lower n pace accordingly therefore starting slower which I hope will work better for me, think ill try for 1.43 , did 1.45 in Dublin .
    How u feeling n what's your next target?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Meno's midweek session done this afternoon,a nice warm afternoon for running:D

PMP is 8:20
    Found it hard to pick up the pace for the first few miles but once I got into the session I started to enjoy it
    4 miles went 8:28,8:09,8:10,7:59
    3 miles went 8:19,8:22,8:18
    2 miles went 9:30,8:30...first mile & a half were all uphill here,not overly worried about the time here but think the effort was consistent here.
    1 mile went 8:16

Overall pretty pleased with the session,will be interesting to see if I can these times during the weekends lsr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks Runchick , yeah I'm really pleased. Planning to do the waterside half marathon on 8th September n hopefully will enjoy it better than the national half, will just have to accept that I not going to do as well as I did in omagh n aim a little lower n pace accordingly therefore starting slower which I hope will work better for me, think ill try for 1.43 , did 1.45 in Dublin .
    How u feeling n what's your next target?

You and I are so similar - I found Omagh to be such a great run and really don't know if I can replicate it this year! Belfast half on 22 Sept is next for me - if these pesky niggles behave ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Damn that was a tough session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

docjewel wrote: »
    Meno's midweek session done this afternoon,a nice warm afternoon for running:D

PMP is 8:20
    Found it hard to pick up the pace for the first few miles but once I got into the session I started to enjoy it
    4 miles went 8:28,8:09,8:10,7:59
    3 miles went 8:19,8:22,8:18
    2 miles went 9:30,8:30...first mile & a half were all uphill here,not overly worried about the time here but think the effort was consistent here.
    1 mile went 8:16

Overall pretty pleased with the session,will be interesting to see if I can these times during the weekends lsr.

Great session Dj

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Hi Folks - must be that time of year again - is it just me or is everyone else hoping the next few weeks will be injury free - just feel every time it gets this close that niggles start rearing there ugly heads.Hardly no 10k's for me this year,live and learn I think - Charleville HM Sept 22nd is my goal before DCM.On a different note anyone know of any good running shops in dublin city (not too far off the beating track please as I wont have much time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

No session for me but damn pleased to get 14 miles done easy:):)

Sorry dazza21 only seeing this message now, thanks n yeah I've registered to do waterside half for my sins :( just gonna try n enjoy it n will b really happy with 1.43 but most importantly I'd like to feel strong most way round unlike I did in Dublin, have accepted that not gonna get a PB so hopefully I'll do my best n enjoy it. U doing it? Think I remember u saying way back that u planning doing it too, what sorta time u aiming for?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Damn that was a tough session.

too fecking right it was!

PMP is 7:25:
    4 miles @ 7:27 average
    3 miles @ 7:30 average
    2 miles @ 7:14 average
    1 mile @ 7:33

mostly done in the phoenix park so a few little hills definitely impacted the times - especially in the 3 mile interval. Could've done with water as it was warm out there this afternoon (weighed in before and after and lost a little over 6 lbs on the run :eek:)

I've been all over the place over the last couple of weeks due to holidays and a tag blitz which had me out of action for 3/4 days.. Hopefully back on track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Got Meno's session in last nite - only 2nd run this week but delighted to feel able to get out and run.

PMP is 9:00
    4 miles: 8:42, 8:44, 8:44, 8:43
    3 miles: 8:45, 8:57, 8:44 (nice few hills for 2nd mile)
    2 miles: 8:49, 8:38
    1 mile: 8:45

Enjoyed this one, find PMP pace easier than others to slip into. Was tired this morning though! After a week of antibiotics etc I hope I can manage the LSR on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Had to do my LSR tonight(or should I say last night:))--16mi @10:05

See details http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86310460#post86310460

I guess it was worth the 5am start - 20m Avr 8.53....well satisfied with that & moreso by being strong at the finish - last mile was 8.47!Two weeks to charleville HM so looking forward to that now that I have at least one 20m completed.officially signed up for DCM last night - yeooowww!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

The 20 milers are coming thick and fast, did mine yesterday and passed 1000 miles for the year. Think it was about 8.45 ish pace, a tough week for the legs after the frank Duffy last week but still managed to hit 50 miles of mostly easy running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

SouthMan wrote: »
    I guess it was worth the 5am start - 20m Avr 8.53....well satisfied with that & moreso by being strong at the finish - last mile was 8.47!Two weeks to charleville HM so looking forward to that now that I have at least one 20m completed.officially signed up for DCM last night - yeooowww!

Sept 22nd - I make it 3 weeks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

The 20 milers are coming thick and fast, did mine yesterday and passed 1000 miles for the year. Think it was about 8.45 ish pace, a tough week for the legs after the frank Duffy last week but still managed to hit 50 miles of mostly easy running.

Congrats OP.. Passed 1000 miles myself today :) Almost 2 months earlier than last year

Meno session done, managed to hit goal pace in both PMP intervals (in fact a bit faster, but that was mostly due to having some downhill sections in them). Very happy with the week - over 50 miles done which is a first for me (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Was at a BBQ yesterday where the wine and beer was flowing freely....I drank tea, in anticipation of heading out at 6.30 this morning for 18 miles. This feckin marathon better be worth the havoc it's wreaking on my life :-)

Spot on CM - My calendar was a bit foggy after the 20m -))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff on all the runs this week, well done Alanm on getting your PMP miles into the long run!!

This week is another High Mileage week. With most people having a HM coming up over the next few weeks it's also a good time to get a HM paced session in. This will also help with Marathon pace as it should feel easier by comparison :D

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 12 miles with 4 x 2miles @ HMP |recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|20 Miles (10 easy, 10 steady)| 45-55 miles

Wednesday's session should have a 2 mile warm up and c/d. Take a 2 minute rest between HMP sections. If you prefer; you can jog 0.5mile between reps and make it a 13-14 mile session.

20 miles on the weekend is 10 easy and the last 10 'steady'. Easy should be very easy; at least 10% slower than MP; though I'd prefer 15-20% slower. The steady miles should be about 4-5% slower than MP. So lets say you are targeting 8 min/mile as MP: do the first 10 miles between 8:50-9:40 min/mile and the last 10 @ 8:20-8:30/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

First 20 mile run since Cork marathon this morning(didn't realise it was just 18 meno wanted us to do), hit the planned MP miles pretty ok except for the last one which was uphill, a different route for this one & the cooler temperatures at the start made this a little easier.
    Definitely feeling the benefits of last week's step back week & also the easier runs between midweek sessions & weekend lsr's seem to make these more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

This was my effort at the LSR for today. Tough work.:cool:

Anyone ever tried seaweed bath for recovery - bought a tub a few weeks back,its in power format,seems to be doing the trick after the LSR's.Any other remedies for quick recoveries especially for the legs after those 20 milers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

SouthMan wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried seaweed bath for recovery - bought a tub a few weeks back,its in power format,seems to be doing the trick after the LSR's.Any other remedies for quick recoveries especially for the legs after those 20 milers.

Eoinín and I got into the sea for a while after our 20-miler yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to get in completely, as there was a cold wind, but hopefully my legs benefited from the freezing, salty water!

• Advertisement

Epsom salts also good after long runs! About half a tub into hot bath, really helps!

Advertisement