Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

New runner wrote: »
    Epsom salts also good after long runs! About half a tub into hot bath, really helps!

Depends how big your tub is...I have a 5kg tub of the stuff, if I put that in a bath id be itching for weeks. :D
    You actually only need about two tea spoons of the stuff and I personally get an itch if I use much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Ok, I use about 1-2 cup fulls coz that's what was recommended in article I read, but whatever suits each person I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Did the Mileage Tracker spreadsheet change? looks like it's not updated? Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Steroo wrote: »
    Did the Mileage Tracker spreadsheet change? looks like it's not updated? Thanks !

Looks OK to me - this week is week 36 - you might be in the wrong week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

murphd77 wrote: »
    Looks OK to me - this week is week 36 - you might be in the wrong week?

Ah Thanks... dates are wrong up top that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Bit of a disaster of a midweek session this week.
    Headed out this afternoon to do meno's session,PHMP approx 7:30/7:45.
    Had very little sleep last night & skipped lunch to get in this run which really didin't help the situation.
    First 2 mile block was 8:28,8:20 but was really struggling badly on this & the second block went 8:45/9:06:o.
    At this stage I was just gonna cut my losses & take the shortest route home(approx 2 miles) but decided to just make the run a lsr.
    So while the session didn't go to plan today,its still another few miles in the bag.

You're not alone, doc. I really struggled too - details here on my log. It was a bit of a 'mare, and the only positive thing I can take out of it really is that I stuck it out till the gruesome end.

But I have faith in meno's grand plan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Pulled up in the middle of mine - calf cramp that wouldn't stretch out and still won't. :( Managed to run 9.6 out of a planned 21.6km before it went. Walked back to the car, now icing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Pulled up in the middle of mine - calf cramp that wouldn't stretch out and still won't. :( Managed to run 9.6 out of a planned 21.6km before it went. Walked back to the car, now icing.

No way! This session is cursed :eek: Hope the calf's ok for you :( Maybe I should skip it tomorrow in favour of my friend's offer of coffee and cake instead :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Runchick wrote: »
    No way! This session is cursed :eek: Hope the calf's ok for you :( Maybe I should skip it tomorrow in favour of my friend's offer of coffee and cake instead :p

Don't mind them Runchick. They are all a big bunch of wussies :D. Let's show em what us nordies are made off ;)

• Advertisement

Nah, Runchick - the trophy is there for the taking this week. Go for it!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't mind them Runchick. They are all a big bunch of wussies :D. Let's show em what us nordies are made off ;)

Haha no pressure ;)

Ah it'll be grand. It's a tough session alright but there are probably a few of us who could do with a bit more foam rolling / a few more rub-downs at this stage, so it'll take less to trigger a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Think that's def true Dilbert 75, I has 1.5 hr pain inflicted yesterday during a deep massage session with sports injury clinic, though no major issues my left hip is still giving me bother n been having shooting pains into my feet esp during harder runs, was very painful to get front outer part of lower legs done especially n my back, so feeling pretty tender today. Really need get foam roller too for general prevention n maintenance. Was foolishly expecting it wasn't going to hurt much as hadn't realised I had such tender areas until he pressed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Its almost a relief to see I wasn't the only one who struggled with this one. Back in from my first failed 'Meno' session. Last HMP was 7:01, was hoping that maybe I could aim for around 6:52 as HMP and think about breaking the 1:30 barrier in the Dublin 1/2 in a few weeks.
    First 2 miles: 7:06/mile, mostly uphill - was tough but I could just about hang on
    Next 2: 6:59/mile , mostly downhill - was much harder than it should've been!
    3rd 2: 7:30/mile and was getting slower as it went on. At this point, I felt so wrecked, I too cut my losses and headed for home fairly slowly.

10 miles in total covered and glad it's over. Didn't like giving up, but legs felt so heavy I was worried I'd do damage attempting that last interval

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Can't believe everyones bad luck with session this week. I did it last nite due to other commitments today. HMP 8:20 (hopefully!)

2 mile warm-up
    Mile 1&2- avg 8:18
    Mile 3&4 - avg 8:15
    Mile 5&6 - avg 8:28
    Mile 7&8 - avg 8:21
    1.5 mile c/d last few miles more or less in dark! Am happy with that after crap week last week

We have a leader in the clubhouse.

I don't think so Murph77 - my times are way behind what everyone else is trying to achieve - but its all relative i guess - anyway Runchick's report is due in yet;)

Willie42 wrote: »
    I don't think so Murph77 - my times are way behind what everyone else is trying to achieve - but its all relative i guess - anyway Runchick's report is due in yet;)

It's all relative Willie. You ran a nice consistent set of reps there and were as close as makes no difference to your HMP.

Another mission failed I'm afraid, took a break between the last 2 miles, brilliant session Willie42, you're in great shape :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Savage sessions there folks, well done.
    Ive been ragtag sessions wise since the Frank Duffy, I haven't recovered well in all honesty, last week the midweek P&D session called for 10 miles with 5@ HMP but I knocked this on the head as I felt I would definitely get hurt running that pace again after the race the previous Saturday. I stuck in a steady run with 6@ MP instead of the session and I got my 20 miler in last weekend for a total of just under 50 miles for the week. I thought I was back on track but my calf and thigh have started giving me bother since the 20 miler so this being a recovery week I've jigged it about a bit.
    The midweek session was down as 9 miles with 4@ HMP so im gonna run these 9 as a very easy run tonight. I moved my session to last night due to the niggles, it was originally a 12 mile midweek long run but I decided to change it to a MP effort. The plan was to start slowly and ease into the pace to see if my legs started screaming at me before building up to finishing at MP -10 or so seconds for a 10 mile session and about 13 miles running. My thinking at the minute is that ill go for a 3.20 marathon so around 7.38 pace. Session was as follows
    1 mile warmup 8.23
    the easing in 8.03 7.50,)these were uphill so I was blowing a bit and doubting myself at this early stage but my legs were ok)
    then I got myself moving (7.34,7.20,7.18,7.14,7.13,7.10,7.20,7.23)

Happy with this as its specific marathon work and 10 miles in and around that effort, I was pretty tired afterwards though I have to say, but it should make the 7.35s seem easier. My calf and thigh niggles were "prominent" throughout but I didnt feel much pain, more tightness. Running steady but shorter last week after the Frank Duffy was a nice buildup to this session and Ill add miles to this over the coming weeks, depending on how I'm feeling. P&D does seem a tad light in specific marathon workouts.
    Next week is a key week for me, hitting peak mileage with a 7 mile LT run and a 20 miler as key sessions, with a slight step back ahead of the Dublin Half the following week.
    Im in two minds about actually racing the HM, im finding it tough to recover from the races, Fingal 10k was the same and I feel its impacting the quality of training. What are peoples thoughts on the value of the hard workout that racing the half would provide? I know when it comes down to it I'll likely race it but maybe looking to be convinced otherwise!
    Overall I think training is going ok and last nights session was a decent confidence booster but the next 3 weeks will be key. Sorry for the long post, I should spread it out more, or start a log!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hi All

Well done on all the mileage, the countdown has well and truly began now :) I've been a disaster on this over last few weeks, playing more of a stalker role , it's a good job I don't have my own log or there would be cobwebs.
    Have been keeping up the weekly mileage Meno has given us but missed last weeks session and had company for my 18miles last weekend so failed to get the MP miles in. So thinking should I stick to the plan for 20mile with 10easy and 10steady or go for having 2x3miles at MP pace??

Did Menos session today and it went well thankfully. After reading everyone else's logs on here I was doubtful I'd hit the target pace but somehow my legs were great today.
    Plan for HMP is 7.30ish. Took 2mins jog recovery between reps, 2mile warmup and 1.5mile cool down.
    Reps were:
    1: 14.24(7.12/mile)
    2: 14.26(7.13/mile)
    3: 14.22 (7.11/mile)
    4: 14.42(7.21/mile)
    As usual the same hill that always gets me got the better of me again in the last rep, me and hills don't go:)
    Was really surprised how well this went, had a great sleep last night that def helps and have to say I think the recovery/easy runs are saviours. Make such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Lower back problem has come back to haunt me just as I got over the hamstring issue. Cursing my luck. No running since last Saturday!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Lower back problem has come back to haunt me just as I got over the hamstring issue. Cursing my luck. No running since last Saturday!

Damnation.

Did Menos session today and it went well thankfully. After reading everyone else's logs on here I was doubtful I'd hit the target pace but somehow my legs were great today.
    Plan for HMP is 7.30ish. Took 2mins jog recovery between reps, 2mile warmup and 1.5mile cool down.
    Reps were:
    1: 14.24(7.12/mile)
    2: 14.26(7.13/mile)
    3: 14.22 (7.11/mile)
    4: 14.42(7.21/mile)

Great session there Doco +1 to the recovery/easy miles - seems to make a huge difference

Great session there Doco +1 to the recovery/easy miles - seems to make a huge difference

+1 Absolutely brilliant session DOCO!! My only observation would be that your 7.30 HMP is a tad soft ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Got to the weekends lsr yesterday evening due to other commitments over the weekend.It was only 2 days after a failed midweek session,a good oppotunity to get that one out of the system.

PMP 8:20 ,so if my calculations are right,the planned pace for the first 10 miles was between 9:10 & 10:00 and for the return 10 miles pace should be around 8:45ish

First 10 miles took 1hr 35 mins so an average time here of 9:30 minute miles & felt pretty comfortable at this pace.
    The return section had a few hills in it starting on the first mile & also around mile 8 & 9.
    Times went as follows

Mile 1|Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5|Mile6 |Mile 7|Mile 8| Mile 9| Mile 10
    8:56|9:00|8:45|8:44|8:34|8:30|8:30|9:09|9:00|8:42

Second 10 miles total time 1hr 27mins 50 secs, Average time of 8:47 mins per mile here.

Overall happy with this session,Roll on Athlone Half next week & we'll see what that brings.

Nice going doc. That's a good comeback after the midweek travails. Looking forward to doing this one tomorrow although I'm in Donegal and will have to try to find a manageable route through the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear of your back pain Redrunner, surely your due some good luck at this stage. Hope it eases asap!!
    Got the 20m with 10easy and 10steady done this morn, haven't the watch on me now but stuck to the plan of easy around the 9/9.30 mark for the easy and 8.20ish for the the steady. Had 4 water stops this time and boy did I enjoy the drink at the last stop. As much as I love sunshine it's so much easier training when it's cooler.
    That's 55miles for me this week, highest ever, tomo is a rest day so looking forward to that. Best of luck everyone else with your lsr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Nothing like getting drenched in the first 2 miles of an 18m - ah well cant complain all went well with Avr @ 8.40!

Advertisement