Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Howdy all. Spent the last while reading back through all your endeaviours. It's been a while since I popped the head in properly. Great training going on. No lift off in meno's sessions anyway:P. Well done. Quite envious I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

upthe19th wrote: »
    Howdy all. Spent the last while reading back through all your endeaviours. It's been a while since I popped the head in properly. Great training going on. No lift off in meno's sessions anyway:P. Well done. Quite envious I must say.

Thanks J, not going so bad yourself over on the darkside!! ;) Hard to imagine that this time last year we were nervous wrecks and clueless about running! :D

I'm still pretty clueless but not half as bad as what I was! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks J, not going so bad yourself over on the darkside!! ;) Hard to imagine that this time last year we were nervous wrecks and clueless about running! :D

I'm still pretty clueless but not half as bad as what I was! :)

Experience is a great thing. Everyone seems to have continued strong, niggles and all. Not so sure about the clueless. You keep popping up on strava with some nice work.

Did ya do transition year after? Only kidding......ah i miss the auld slagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

2 Plans this week, one for those racing the half this weekend and the other for those doing the half the following.
    The good news is all of the sessions from now on are based on MP rather than faster :D Also the change in temperatures should make the sessions easier. I think the reason many had trouble last Wednesday was that it was unusually warm.

Racing this weekend
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10 miles easy with strides |Easy/rest |Easy/rest| Race|Recovery| 30-40 miles

Just keep everything nice and easy all week and try to be fresh for the race. Make sure to get a warm up and cool down before the half and you will likely hit 16-17 miles anyway.

Racing half in 2 weeks

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 14 miles 10 @MP |Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|18 miles alternating 2 miles easy with 2 miles MP (8 @MP in total)| 45-55 miles

Wednesdays session is 2 mile warm up and c/d. This is the first long continuous MP block. Concentrate on getting the right feel for the MP, you should feel strong, it should feel hard after 3-4 miles but not getting harder. Try to imagine running this for the full 26.2 (you shouldn't be flogged at the end). Try not to look too much at the watch as if you are a few seconds/mile down on your goal MP it doesn't matter: this will right itself naturally over the next few weeks.

The long run is (2 easy + 2 @ MP) x 4 with a 2 mile c/d.

Good luck to all racing Athlone at the weekend. I'll be running myself but not racing so say hello if you see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Got LSR In this morning enjoyed running in cool morning air 10 miles easy @ 10:20 avg pace 10:00 - second 10 miles @ 9:20/9:30 avg pace 9:27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Really enjoyed today's easy/steady 20-miler.

MP is 5:18k. Averaged 6:11/k over the first 10 miles, then 5:28 for the second half. So pretty much bang on. Hilly Donegal route. Cool, light drizzle helped. Felt very strong at the end, which just goes to show the value of starting slow. Great plan, Meno.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good luck to all racing Athlone at the weekend. I'll be running myself but not racing so say hello if you see me.

How's the injury meno?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Happy enough with my run in the waterside half marathon today, my aim was 1.43 n I finished it in 1.43.5X, haven't seen my official chip time but know I started n stopped my watch more or less exactly on time. Def felt stronger than in Dublin at the national half a month ago n that was my main aim. Was very hot n had to throw the cups of water over me on various occasions to try cool down. Happy to have good strong finish . No records broken but knew that was the best I could hope for at this stage n couldn't have ran faster. my watch reading showed 13.22m ( avr pace 7.52) n avr HR of 175.
    Celebrations were short lived as I had car accident at the Caw roundabout near the start/finish :( thankfully no injuries just 2 cars which are going to take quite a bit too fix. Other couple were in a hire car, rushing to airport for a flight, reckoned it was my fault but hadn't time to wait on police as going miss their flight. :(:(

blockic wrote: »
    How's the injury meno?

All good :D nearly fixed. I ran 15 today no probs. Hopefully will do 17 next weekend; haven't lost a lot aerobically but afraid to push any pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What a bummer NR. Hope you reported it - it may stand in your favour that they left the scene before the Police were informed.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    All good :D nearly fixed. I ran 15 today no probs. Hopefully will do 17 next weekend; haven't lost a lot aerobically but afraid to push any pace.

Sure ya don't really need to....7:56 miles will do fine! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

New runner wrote: »
    Happy enough with my run in the waterside half marathon today, my aim was 1.43 n I finished it in 1.43.5X, haven't seen my official chip time but know I started n stopped my watch more or less exactly on time. Def felt stronger than in Dublin at the national half a month ago n that was my main aim. Was very hot n had to throw the cups of water over me on various occasions to try cool down. Happy to have good strong finish . No records broken but knew that was the best I could hope for at this stage n couldn't have ran faster. my watch reading showed 13.22m ( avr pace 7.52) n avr HR of 175.
    Celebrations were short lived as I had car accident at the Caw roundabout near the start/finish :( thankfully no injuries just 2 cars which are going to take quite a bit too fix. Other couple were in a hire car, rushing to airport for a flight, reckoned it was my fault but hadn't time to wait on police as going miss their flight. :(:(

Well done on the run New runner, passed a couple of Inishowen vests out there and was wondering if anyone of them was yourself! Sorry to hear about your crash, it was pretty hard coming out of the grounds with cars parked everywhere.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Well done on the run New runner, passed a couple of Inishowen vests out there and was wondering if anyone of them was yourself! Sorry to hear about your crash, it was pretty hard coming out of the grounds with cars parked everywhere.

Thanks dazza, how u get on? Had u good run? Wasn't it so hot? I was wondering how u were getting on. Aye was pretty mad traffic when I was coming out. I was in queue of traffic for almost 30 mins waiting to get out of gransha grounds. Raging that that happened then after but sure could have been worse! Hope u got on well and were happy with your run.

Who else is doing the Race Series Half in a couple of weeks? Not sure how to treat it - go for the PB or treat it as a MP run. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

murphd77 wrote: »
    Who else is doing the Race Series Half in a couple of weeks? Not sure how to treat it - go for the PB or treat it as a MP run. Any thoughts?

I registered this morning and am in much the same boat as you. I mised my LSR this weekend, thigh is acting up so im just gonna play it by ear and see how these next couple of weeks go. Im leaning towards running it at PMP or a tiny bit faster right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Thanks dazza, how u get on? Had u good run? Wasn't it so hot? I was wondering how u were getting on. Aye was pretty mad traffic when I was coming out. I was in queue of traffic for almost 30 mins waiting to get out of gransha grounds. Raging that that happened then after but sure could have been worse! Hope u got on well and were happy with your run.

Yeah things went well, finished in 1:38:45, a PB so pretty happy. Was very warm out there in parts. I was pouring two cups of water over myself at times. Would have settled for that over the wind and rain that we had on Saturday though.

Fantastic running, well done u, I'm sure u delighted. Great job n I agree totally, we were really lucky with the weather.

murphd77 wrote: »

If you are following my plan, it is designed around you racing the half.
    There will be at least 2 more 20+ milers after the half and options of adding PMP into them. You'll also be doing plenty of MP miles midweek so no need to run the half at PMP I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done on the half Newrunner, and so sorry to hear about the accident, just glad your ok :)

Thanks Runchick, happy enough but still 3 mins down on Omagh so hard to get too excited but know I wudnt do anywhere near that so happy enough as I said.
    Was annoyed at having the car accident but at least no injuries so it's not end of world, thanks again. u all sorted for Belfast half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats on yer races New Runner and Dazza, great going! Hope the car gets sorted for ya New Runner, so annoying!

Need some advice. Met up with a friend this eve and did 8.5miles some at a good pace. Plan for those racing this weekend says all easy and do 10miles tomo. Am thinking should I scrap the 10easy tomo since I did the 8.5 this eve? And just do a recovery run instead? All advice greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Runchick, happy enough but still 3 mins down on Omagh so hard to get too excited but know I wudnt do anywhere near that so happy enough as I said.
    Was annoyed at having the car accident but at least no injuries so it's not end of world, thanks again. u all sorted for Belfast half?

I'm in the same boat as you, don't think I can PB my 1.47 from Omagh and to be honest would be happy with sub 1.50 in Belfast...should manage that if everything goes ok on the day :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Congrats on yer races New Runner and Dazza, great going! Hope the car gets sorted for ya New Runner, so annoying!

Need some advice. Met up with a friend this eve and did 8.5miles some at a good pace. Plan for those racing this weekend says all easy and do 10miles tomo. Am thinking should I scrap the 10easy tomo since I did the 8.5 this eve? And just do a recovery run instead? All advice greatly appreciated :)

Recovery runs all the way and tear in up in the half :D

Thanks Runchick, hey u will do great in Belfast, u are training really hard, take it as easy as possible from now till then, you've some amount miles done already this week n it's only Wednesday!! Really hope u have fantastic run, all the very best n can't wait to hear how u get on, give it socks Mrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Wed - Session day

1m w/u, 10m @MP, 1m c/d PMP 8:55-9:00 m/m

MP Splits:
    8:47, 8:48, 8:48, 8:45, 8:42, 8:52, 8:55, 8:51, 8:49, 8:44 - Avg 8:49

Felt like a good run - legs feel a bit tired this week so will have to get out the foam roller and bit more stretching

Session details here.

A little tired but managed the 10-miles at MP without too much trouble. HR about 84% for the MP session, which is possibly a little high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done Willie and Murph. Youre both doing really well at the moment. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Athlone Half Marathon Race Report.

An early start on Saturday morning to head up to this one, Arrived in good time for registration & had a nice walk around to stretch the legs after the journey up.
    Met up with some of my local athletics clubs athletes before the race & did a few miles easy warm-up with them.

Bumped into some boardies before the start including coach meno.
    My planned time for the race was around 1:42 but with meno as a personal pacer we set off at 1:40 pace.

First six miles were all around 7.30ish pace, mile 7 7:37 & mile 8 7:51.
    At this stage the wheels were slowly coming off the wagon, the right glute was starting to niggle again & over the next few miles the calves were tightening up.
    A call of nature :o during mile 11 didn’t help matters either
    Finished in chip time 1:45:49
    |Mile 1|Mile 2|Mile 3|Mile 4|Mile 5|Mile 6| Mile 7| Mile 8| Mile 9|Mile 10|Mile 11| Mile 12| Mile 13|Mile 14
    Time|7:35|7:36|7:30|7:32|7:33|7:29|7:37|7:51|8:21|8:36|8:52|9:17|8:52|1:22
    Avg HR|155|165|168|172|173|177|178|179|182|183|182|185|186|181|

Overall a good day out & a very well organised event & while a little disappointed that I didn’t meet my target time, it wasn’t a target race & DCM is the bigger picture, I’ve learned a lot from it & picked a lot of helpful tips from meno.
    The niggle in the glute/hamstring has been there since Cork & while it hasn’t been overly troublesome it can be really annoying especially after longish journeys in the car.
    It’s now time to bite the bullet & visit the physio on this one , a good rub down on the calves won’t go astray either & will have to treat my feet to another pair of new runners over the next week or so( yep running is free)
    The heart rate was a bit high for me especially during the closing miles & my pace not going too well,hopefully its not a sign of an illness or anything brewing.
    A big positive for me out of yesterday’s race was for the first time in a while during a race I didn’t feel devoid of energy at some stage or another, hopefully this will continue.
    It was good to meet a good boardies crew after the race, putting more face on some of the legends around these parts.

Been out early this morning for a recovery run, calves not too bad, but any hill/incline on the road & I can feel it in the glute, shortened the stride a little to make it more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Confirmed with physio what I had already guessed, no DCM for me this year :( Still can't run so just trying to keep fitness up with cross training. Was a bit sad driving around in the sun yesterday morning seeing all the runners out. Have applied for London so who knows, continued good luck to everyone with the training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

sassyj wrote: »
    Confirmed with physio what I had already guessed, no DCM for me this year :( Still can't run so just trying to keep fitness up with cross training. Was a bit sad driving around in the sun yesterday morning seeing all the runners out. Have applied for London so who knows, continued good luck to everyone with the training.

Sorry to hear that sassyj. Touch and go myself at the moment.I think if I knew I had an entry for London (I have applied) my outlook on DCM might be slightly different than it is now.

Managed 3 miles today and back to physio on Tuesday. With 6 weeks to go I have to get back into it this week I think to have any chance.

Advertisement