Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

RedRunner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that sassyj. Touch and go myself at the moment.I think if I knew I had an entry for London (I have applied) my outlook on DCM might be slightly different than it is now.

Managed 3 miles today and back to physio on Tuesday. With 6 weeks to go I have to get back into it this week I think to have any chance.

Thanks, I know i will have a little lump in my throat on marathon day, but will be there to cheer everyone on, pay back for last year. It's been hanging over me the last 4 weeks, so in one way i'm glad the decision is now made. Have underlying issues to work on now, strength and conditioning etc., will hopefully make me a better runner in the long run.

Good luck with the physio on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So we are basically swapping last week's plan around.
    Those that raced Athlone this weekend (I think just Docjewel??) should follow last weeks plan for the others minus the Wednesday session. To make up for that, place the 10 miles @ MP into the 18 mile long run :pac::

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 12 miles easy with strides |rest/Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|18 miles including 10 @MP | 40-50 miles

Those who are doing Dublin, Charelveille or Belfast half next weekend should follow last weeks 'taper' week:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10 miles easy with strides |Easy/rest |Easy/rest| Race HM|Recovery| 30-40 miles

Next week we will all get back on the same plan for the final 5 weeks.

Best of luck; looking forward to the race reports next weekend. If anyone is doing the Dublin Half and targetting sub 1:50 make sure to introduce yourself as I will be pacing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Sorry to hear that sassyj, what a bummer! Least you know now and can make new plans. Hope you get the news your hoping for Redrunner, good luck with Physio!
    Did Athlone half yest in 1.36 very happy with that. Great race one that everyone should put in the diaries for next year. Never got to meet any boardies tho, was meant to be n registration hall for 10.15 and it was 10.20 by time I got in and was empty. I did meet a few serious looking runners leaving the place when I was on the way in but was too afraid to say anything in case it wasnt any of the gang :) Some serious performances there yest by boardies, well done Docjewel, it's funny that u say that mile 7 your pace slowed cos I was the same it was my slowest mile. Hopefully will get to meet some of you for DCM. Am feeling pretty tired today after yesterday so am glad there's no mid week session this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

sassyj sorry to hear about DCM, injury sucks :(

Redrunner - I really hope things work out for you this week - this time last year I had a sprained ankle and hadn't done a 20 miler yet but still made DCM and had a great day so its still possible...

Docjewel and DOCO12 - congrats on great running yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Congratulations DOCO & Docjewel - great running

Did LSR yesterday - not the best day for running!!!

18 miles 4 x 2 @MP 10 @ 10+ min/m
    8:43 8:49, 8:50 8:45, 8:51: 8:54, 9:02 8:56

Found last two miles more difficult - dropped in home for loo after 10 miles (as per usual) and found it difficult to get back into rhythm - regardless of the bloody wind. Mile 18 of c/d was not good - the last couple of LSR's my pelvis has started to kick in near the end but yesterday it was very painful - had same near end of training last year - hope things don't get worse over next couple of weeks:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Congrats Doco and Doc on great running on Saturday, sorry you didn't hit your target Doc, but you're right to keep your eyes on your main goal. I'm the same as you, couple of niggly injuries since Cork and I've been putting off going to the physio. Really need to bite the bullet and just go, although I know he's going to give out to me for leaving it so long and not stretching enough!

Sorry to hear DCM is out for you Sassy, it's a tough break, but there will be other races. Fingers crossed for London, I entered too, it's so frustrating not knowing if you got in or not!

Red Runner, try and stay positive, 6 weeks is still loads of time, even if you have to adjust your target, you still might make the start line and have an enjoyable race.

God, injuries are a total pain aren't they - both literally and figuratively :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

So who's doing the Dublin half/or any other this weekend and what are the goals?

I was toying with the idea of doing it as a MP run but have decided to race it now. I missed the week before last with some thigh and calf issues but the rest days seems to have cleared it up, got through a 20 miler ok on Saturday so its all systems go for next weekend. I ran the 10 miler in 68.45 so McMillan has that down as a 91.xx half. Ive only ran marathon pace sessions since the Frank Duffy so I don't think I have enough miles at HMP in the legs for a 1.30 shot. I reckon I might stick to Blockic's 1.30 pacing group for a few miles as I felt good at that pace for the first 9 miles of the Frank Duffy and just see how long I can gut it out for once we get back into the park. Current PB is 1.36.xx from Bohermeen this year so based on the 10 miler a new PB is possibly, barring blowup due to a completely unrealistic and idiotic pacing stragegy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

So who's doing the Dublin half/or any other this weekend and what are the goals?

I was toying with the idea of doing it as a MP run but have decided to race it now. I missed the week before last with some thigh and calf issues but the rest days seems to have cleared it up, got through a 20 miler ok on Saturday so its all systems go for next weekend. I ran the 10 miler in 68.45 so McMillan has that down as a 91.xx half. Ive only ran marathon pace sessions since the Frank Duffy so I don't think I have enough miles at HMP in the legs for a 1.30 shot. I reckon I might stick to Blockic's 1.30 pacing group for a few miles as I felt good at that pace for the first 9 miles of the Frank Duffy and just see how long I can gut it out for once we get back into the park. Current PB is 1.36.xx from Bohermeen this year so based on the 10 miler a new PB is possibly, barring blowup due to a completely unrealistic and idiotic pacing stragegy :D

Go for it. If it all goes pear shaped it's Blockic's fault :D

Blockic's fault.......... I like that. Foolproof!

This is going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Haha*

Sure come on board overpronator, might be touch and go but sure go big or go home. See how you feel after 7 or the like ! ;)

Make sure to come over before the start to say hi, i'll be the one with the RED runners. :)

*Blockic takes no responsibility and goes not guarauntee pacee results!
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

dark pink.

blockic wrote: »
    Haha*

Sure come on board overpronator, might be touch and go but sure go big or go home. See how you feel after 7 or the like ! ;)

Make sure to come over before the start to say hi, i'll be the one with the RED runners. :)

*Blockic takes no responsibility and goes not guarauntee pacee results!
    ;)

Yeah a definite longshot but as you say give it a lash!

I also have red runners. Its a sign. Nothing can go wrong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

RedRunners are cool!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3.89mi@8:56 today. Felt good, aerobic fitness feels like it is still good. No bad reaction from back. Woohoo...there is hope

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Yeah a definite longshot but as you say give it a lash!

I also have red runners. Its a sign. Nothing can go wrong now.

Darn, I was thinking of trying to keep up with the 1:30 guys too. But I've only got blue runners, no chance now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'll be there, looking at 1:45 or so. Between pacer groups again (well hopefully I will stay between them). Looking forward to it.

I hope to be there too have throat and ear infection so plan for week is to take it easy and get myself better for Saturday!!

Willie42 wrote: »
    I hope to be there too have throat and ear infection so plan for week is to take it easy and get myself better for Saturday!!

Snap...well not an infection but inflammation - easy week before the half at the weekend. Hope it clears up for you too...I saw the doc today - I think he thinks I'm mad - got checked out and all I could say was 'so can I run', 'so what your saying is I'm ok to run"...the man thinks I've lost it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057041858

If anyone feels like filling out this table I'd appreciate it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057041858

If anyone feels like filling out this table I'd appreciate it :D

I'd fill it in, but still haven't got around to doing tables.............I was out that day in school.

• Advertisement

I'd fill it in, but still haven't got around to doing tables.............I was out that day in school.

Get studying....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057041903

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Is it 1 or 2 layer weather!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Steroo wrote: »
    Is it 1 or 2 layer weather!?

The answer was 1 layer! First race in ages tonight, portmarnock 10k finished about 48:50 by my watch... Tough enough!

Steroo wrote: »
    The answer was 1 layer! First race in ages tonight, portmarnock 10k finished about 48:50 by my watch... Tough enough!

Nice one Steroo, great to see you back. It was bound to be tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done Stephen, good time.

Back to work today after a hideous week of sore ears/throat. Doc says its ok to run on Saturday and last nite was the first night this week I slept through - pain free, so after a great nights sleep and a v e r y easy week of running - did 6 miles on Wed with few strides thrown in and might do 3/4 easy miles tonight I'm going to give it a lash tomorrow and hope for the best, I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good Luck everyone this weekend, Dublin 1/2 & Belfast 1/2 . Have fun and run fast & safe. If you see my wife, give her a clap on the back and tell her I'm jealous but proud of her!

Good Luck everyone this weekend, Dublin 1/2 & Belfast 1/2 . Have fun and run fast & safe.

+1 Best of luck everyone. If anyone sees a pacer with red runners in Dublin make sure to come up to say hi. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

blockic wrote: »
    +1 Best of luck everyone. If anyone sees a pacer with red runners in Dublin make sure to come up to say hi. ;)

Likewise to blockic will be good to put some names to faces. Will be around for the morning in/beside the Elveries Van doing massages so don't be shy.

Best of luck everyone its a fair course just save some for the hills and you will be fine

• Advertisement

Willie42 wrote: »
    Back to work today after a hideous week of sore ears/throat. Doc says its ok to run on Saturday and last nite was the first night this week I slept through - pain free, so after a great nights sleep and a v e r y easy week of running - did 6 miles on Wed with few strides thrown in and might do 3/4 easy miles tonight I'm going to give it a lash tomorrow and hope for the best, I think!!

Best of luck Willie42 the enforced rest may have done your legs the world of good, give it socks tomorrow :D

Advertisement